• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Viability

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I haven't seen a lot of discussion focused on competitive representation or high-level Bowser Jr. tactics that can dependably cause him to be a threat to high-level players. So let's talk about that.

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I plan on representing Jr. a great deal when the Wii U version comes out. I think he has a ton of potential with the Clown Car Kart, Mechakoopas, and his awkward hitboxes. His offstage game I think is really nice as well.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
He definitely has potential, with robust hitboxes and a wide array of mixup options at his disposal. I believe cannonballs are underutilized when I witness videos of other players using Junior.

Last edited:

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
I can consistently beat Greninjas and Shieks at friendlies reppin iggy

T-block

B2B TST
So much optimism x.x

I hope you guys prove me wrong, but I don't see him being much higher than the middle of the cast. People are only going to become more accustomed to our tricks, and I don't think his strengths are fundamental (read: non-gimmicky) enough to carry him into top 10 or anything like that.

Our options out of Clown Car Kart are actually quite limited. If we could jump cancel grab out of it or something that would be a different story, but... D=

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
So much optimism x.x

I hope you guys prove me wrong, but I don't see him being much higher than the middle of the cast. People are only going to become more accustomed to our tricks, and I don't think his strengths are fundamental (read: non-gimmicky) enough to carry him into top 10 or anything like that.

Our options out of Clown Car Kart are actually quite limited. If we could jump cancel grab out of it or something that would be a different story, but... D=
the mix-up capabilities of approaching are endless tho, you can follow through with the cc or jump out and approach with d-air or mechakoopa and dash attack or mechakoopa cc follow through jump aerial I LOVE BJ

Conda

the mix-up capabilities of approaching are endless tho, you can follow through with the cc or jump out and approach with d-air or mechakoopa and dash attack or mechakoopa cc follow through jump aerial I LOVE BJ
Thing is, those are all shieldable. It's the same with Sonic - shield and he can't do anything, since he can't cancel and grab instead of attack. Bowser Jr has much less speed/surprise, so landing those physical hits are going to be difficult on grounded opponents, morseo than with sonic.

T-block

B2B TST
...none of which apply THAT much pressure because your movement options after you jump are so limited.

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
Olimar was placed at middle tier back in 2008, and look where he is now. Meta Knight didn't gather a surplus of adulation during the first few months of release either, but steadily overtook Snake over time.

Last edited:

Conda

Olimar was placed at middle tier back in 2008, and look where he is now. Meta Knight didn't gather a surplus of adulation during the first few months of release either, but steadily overtook Snake over time.
I remember people being shocked at MK's speed and range from the get-go. We were very aware of sword mechanics in smash thanks to Marth and Roy. We understood the strength of disjointed non-hurtbox melee attacks, and once we saw MK's moveset he felt obviously broken right from the get-go. We said "he is SUPER LIGHT and has a HARD TIME KILLING, though, so he's not broken", but of course those things didn't matter because his offensiveness was weighted so unevenly anyways. His weaknesses weren't weaknesses compared to how strong his strengths were, and we caught on to that very quickly.

Last edited:

Lord Exor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordExor
3DS FC
0430-8460-0827
No one in this game comes close to MK's dominance though, and most likely never will. Perhaps the Olimar comparison was more apt.

Last edited:

Conda

Yeah, I agree that the Clown Car Kart isn't THAT amazing and options are kinda limited. I especially think that his Dair is kinda overrated. =\
Agreed. It's nice when you get a hit, but that's often because less-skilled players think it's okay to roll when being hit by multi-hits - that's why you feel the dair sometimes pokes through a shielded opponent and is effective against shielded opponents. But it ain't! :p

It's a better aerial move, however. Bowser Jr. doesn't seem to have any safe air-to-ground approaches, which makes Clown Car not as useful as you'd think. The same goes for Sonic. As the meta develops, we won't be able to rely fully on these tricks against grounded opponents as they can easily be stopped by simply shielding.

Aerially, however, Clown Car has more merit.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Yeah, I agree that the Clown Car Kart isn't THAT amazing and options are kinda limited. I especially think that his Dair is kinda overrated. =\
Absolutely. People act like dair is a godsend but it has so much landing lag, if you miss it you'll be punished HARD. Not to mention your opponent can just shield dair if they see it coming. And the clown car is predictable, your opponent has ample time to react to it, and it leaves you with less options than your opponent. I love Ludwig and plan to main him for the forseeable future, but I feel that unless his meta advances beyond gimmicks that everyone will know how to deal with in a month, he's going to be left in the dust.

I've been experimenting with some AT's/gathering some (rough) frame data on his moves; I'll share with the class once I have an accurate, finished list.

Conda

Absolutely. People act like dair is a godsend but it has so much landing lag, if you miss it you'll be punished HARD. Not to mention your opponent can just shield dair if they see it coming. And the clown car is predictable, your opponent has ample time to react to it, and it leaves you with less options than your opponent. I love Ludwig and plan to main him for the forseeable future, but I feel that unless his meta advances beyond gimmicks that everyone will know how to deal with in a month, he's going to be left in the dust.

I've been experimenting with some AT's/gathering some (rough) frame data on his moves; I'll share with the class once I have an accurate, finished list.
Neutral positions is what Clown Car is kind of useless in. That's the problem - it seems like a move that is supposed to let Bowser Jr gain an upper hand from neutral, but it really just does what it does for sonic - telegraphs that you are going to limit your options and get closer to your opponent.

I've been using clown car a lot just to push myself into figuring out what it's good at against good opponents, and what I've found to be the best is using it as an approach mobility-wise but not offensively.

Basically, I use it like fox and falco's phantasm. It's strange but has unique properties that make it work (the extra jump also lets you stay in the air longer, which makes it decent as a stall or effectively a third jump). Basically, I just travel a bit and then hop->FF to the ground.

Not sure if I'm going to keep using it like this, but it makes moving around much more 'loose' and upredictable. If you ignore the fact that the kart lets you attack and such, you focus on the fact that it lets you get another jump after you've used your DJ and makes you go pretty fast.

Against lesser-skilled opponents it's MUCH more useful as you can K.O. on-stage with the spinout or juke into an aerial. But once opponents realise they just need to stand still and shield, this won't be a way to use the clown kart anymore.

Simply put, just use it to move around and remain mobile/airborn. You have all your options available instead of just an aerial or spin-out.

One of Bowser's custom side-bs (I think the dirft variant) makes the hop at the end much smaller, which may make this kind of usage better as it'll take you less time to get back to the floor after hopping as the default clown kart has a large hop.

Prawn

Smash Master
I'm still very much in the infantile stages of me learning this character, but I have played some "top" or close to top level players.

He's good. His recovery is amazing and he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. That being said I think there a couple of top tiers that will have really good matchups vs him.

I think mid tier is a guarantee and his ceiling is top tier depending on how the wiiu treats him/the developing metagame.

Edit: with custom moves (and specifically the giant mechakoopa) I think he's very viable in tournament.

Last edited:

Conda

I'm still very much in the infantile stages of me learning this character, but I have played some "top" or close to top level players.

He's good. His recovery is amazing and he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve. That being said I think there a couple of top tiers that will have really good matchups vs him.

I think mid tier is a guarantee and his ceiling is top tier depending on how the wiiu treats him/the developing metagame.

Edit: with custom moves (and specifically the giant mechakoopa) I think he's very viable in tournament.
He's also one of the heaviest characters in the game. He is very punishable, but generally you'll have to rack on 10-20 more % on him to KO him compared to other characters. And gimping-wise, it's going to be tough as he can have a very unpredictable recovery and has options thanks to side B. He can also get a KO hammer hit after using up B, which makes knocking him during that stage of his recovery risky. As a Bowser Jr main, you just have to be sure to recover low so you sweetspot the ledge.
This makes him prone to spike KOs, but only in some circumstances, and it's hard to get him there intentionally anyways.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to use Clown Car Kart a bit more, I've been kinda liking it less and less. The reward isn't really worth the risk, in my opinion. It's still good for recovering/mobility, but ehh, on stage as an offensive thing, it's pretty lackluster and easily punishable, and any projectile just beats it. I have been using Mechakoopas a lot though, and I still believe that has a ton of potential to be good. I especially like them on Battlefield because of the platforms. SH Bair/Fair are also good, I believe, because of the disjoint and good range, and if spaced properly, cannot be punished by shield grabs. Fair's hitbox especially stays out for a long time.

Conda

I've been trying to use Clown Car Kart a bit more, I've been kinda liking it less and less. The reward isn't really worth the risk, in my opinion. It's still good for recovering/mobility, but ehh, on stage as an offensive thing, it's pretty lackluster and easily punishable, and any projectile just beats it. I have been using Mechakoopas a lot though, and I still believe that has a ton of potential to be good. I especially like them on Battlefield because of the platforms. SH Bair/Fair are also good, I believe, because of the disjoint and good range, and if spaced properly, cannot be punished by shield grabs. Fair's hitbox especially stays out for a long time.
I believe the landing lag makes it punishable anyways (fair and bair shorthopped). I stick with nair for general damage-dealing, and use fair/bair when I want them off of the stage. Nair is VERY good in general - if Bowser Jr didn't have nair or dtilt, he'd be half the character. Those are for sure his BnB moves so far.

His utilt needs more utilization too - it's basically a sheik-ish ftilt or forwards-facing fox utilt and is a very strong tool to have. We should be building combos and string around it. I feel like maybe we've been using dtilt or ftilt in all situations when sometimes an utilt can get a combo going instead.

Uair is excellent too, and he's got great vertical jump speed it feels, so landing those juggles are really fun especially through battlefield platforms. I think BJr will be a great character on platform stages.

Clown Kart for me has become a short-range mobility tool. I'll use it right next to an enemy and then nearly immediately jump out, as it gives you a sort of Kirby/DeDeDe-like air jump with a bit of vertical stalling, and it can let you control your spacing very well along with make your movement unpredictable in the air. It's made him really fun, as it feels like he has three jump now and I can play him the way someone would Charizard or DeDeDe to an extent.

And if you use the clown kart just for an extra hop and aerial mobility, you can decide halfway through if you just want to use it for the horizontal mobility instead and rush forward (or backward). Loving it as a spacing and mobility tool. Using it for the 'ram into people' and 'spin out' properties is very risky for me and is nearly never worth it, unless I'm ramming into people offstage as an edgeguard tactic (spinout has a good hitbox and knockback).

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
You don't have landing lag if you SH Fair or Bair, they both autocancel. I haven't used Nair as much admittedly, I've only used it as a followup to Clown Car Kart, but I should probably use it more. I've been liking Ftilt over Dtilt, I've been using Dtilt over Ftilt if I know they're gonna spotdodge. But they both have their merits. What do you feel are the most effective things against Jr. and how should we deal with them?

Conda

You don't have landing lag if you SH Fair or Bair, they both autocancel. I haven't used Nair as much admittedly, I've only used it as a followup to Clown Car Kart, but I should probably use it more. I've been liking Ftilt over Dtilt, I've been using Dtilt over Ftilt if I know they're gonna spotdodge. But they both have their merits. What do you feel are the most effective things against Jr. and how should we deal with them?
Yeah the clown kart->nair combo is an oldie that we felt may be awesome for bowser Jr a while ago, but honestly it's just a weaker spindash. Sonic has speed to pull it off, but we don't.
Continuing to focus on its uses like this has imo slowed down the growth of Bowser Jr, because it's not a safe way to use it - I've read others speak about Bowser Jr's kart shenanigans being super easy to counter.

I think the main things that have currently been easy to counter coming from Bowser Jr is clown kart approach shenanigans (spoken about above) and cannon/mechkoopa camping. People see these moves and use them in ways that seem like they're intended to be used, but they're actually the worst ways to use them in competitive play imo.

For mechkoopa, it's more safe competitively when treated like Link's bomb or peach's turnips. Big Mechkoopa will be a good custom, but the fuse is very short (as I recall) so we can't pressure for very long with it, as we'll be forced to toss it pretty quickly. The custom where you simply lob the mechkoopa is also a potentially awesome custom as it turns it into a spacing tool similar to sheik's grenades, duck hunt's clay pidgeon, megaman's heavy bombs, and links bombs if you just focus on forward throws.

It's the least grabbable version as it basically negates the whole 'grab it and throw it!" aspect which is the main part of mechkoopa that makes it easy to deal with in competitive settings. Making it a basic lobbed projectile that you can spam with frequency makes it a completely different move, and one that may be a decent alternative for a more sturdy and safe moveset.

Mixing up ftilt and dtilt is wise. I use dtilt as a very defensive option - huge priority and lingering hitbox rocks. Ftilt is more of a gtfo move and will never whiff the 'gtfo' part. Dtilt can sometimes whiff the last hit, so it's not as reliable as a gtfo move.

IReidYou

Smash Rookie
Unless some amazing things get discovered I feel Jr can only reach around the cusp of top 15. Doesn't have anything too dumb he can abuse like top 5. He kinda reminds me of brawl sonic where he relies on a lot of mindgames and fakes to trip up the opponent.

Btw ran into something interesting but deleted the replay like an idiot. Did an Up B before I got off the ledge while someone was recovering and it looked like an explosion happened and got back into the car immediately. I'm thinking Jr got love tapped right after he got out, landed immediately, and him landing and respawning the car caused the immediate explosion which killed the other guy. Been trying to recreate it for a minute but can't. If anyone can do it consistently and share then it can be used as a pretty interesting counter.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Am I the only one very impressed by his collection moves? Lots of good traits here...

• ground controlling item*
• good projectile
• quick movement (car)
• good range on ground (dtilt, ftilt)
• excellent aerials (strong and large)
• good recovery (car, and options out of up b)

This is a very solid ground to work with. Can't wait to see the players that step up here.

*items are the best things a character can have.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I feel as though the Big Mechakoopa custom has the most potential out of all of his customs (being immediately grabbable and big damage/knockback), but since I'm not sure how tournaments will handle customs in the future, I'm holding off on practicing with it. I do wish his Neutral B was more useful. For right now, I think it's his worst move, I just cannot find a use for it. You cannot camp with it, the ending lag is awful, and unless it's fully charged, a lot of other projectiles can just knock it outta the air. The only time I really find myself using it is with edgeguarding, and even then I find other moves to be more useful. I do believe all of his moves are good though, with the exception of Neutral B and possibly Dair. I don't see him being top 10 though unless something really changes, because I don't think he has as reliable tools as other characters like Rosalina or Sheik. He does have a fair amount of work with though, and I'm excited to see how far he can go.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Competitively....i'm not sure. Here's a few things i've been messing with-

1. You can up B straight out of clown car. Its...interesting. Yes they can just shield it, but the falling copter has a hit box, as does the explosion, and now you're above them in hammertime mode. It's risky as all hell, but can really catch people by surprise.

2. Mecha koopa combos/pressure. At certain points on the stage, koopa is SUPER safe, as if you're following behind it you can set up a scenario where if they get hit by the koopa, you'll grab it before it explodes, and hit them with an air move. If not, they shield it and you're now approaching right behind, and the koopa can hit the ledge and come right back at them to cover whatever you do.
Finally if spaced right ,they can't really risk grabbing it themselves either as it'll give you an easy dash attack punish. It's hellishly hard to setup, but it gives some great pressure when done right.

All that said, most of his stuff fells...good. Not great, just good. Nothing really makes me think he's going to be top tier, but he's got a solid enough basic game that i'm hoping he'll be mid.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
He has a ton of options. He can hang back and camp with projectiles or rush down with clown car.

His projectiles are strong and the robokoopas provide ample zoning as well as something to throw if they avoid it.

The sour spots in your smash attacks can be rough if your enemy knows how to use them. I like his up smash the best frankly.

His aerials are spectacular, especially in concert with his side and up B. Huge combo potential. His down air is overrated and you will get your **** pushed in if you miss.

His no car neutral is god level, getting hit by this is like taking a knee.

Conda

He has a ton of options. He can hang back and camp with projectiles or rush down with clown car.

His projectiles are strong and the robokoopas provide ample zoning as well as something to throw if they avoid it.

The sour spots in your smash attacks can be rough if your enemy knows how to use them. I like his up smash the best frankly.

His aerials are spectacular, especially in concert with his side and up B. Huge combo potential. His down air is overrated and you will get your **** pushed in if you miss.

His no car neutral is god level, getting hit by this is like taking a knee.
Just to clarify, you mean his hammer swing after up-b when you say "no car neutral".

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Sideb is superbly good for conditioning opponents depending on what you do afterwards, I don't think it should be used to actually hit somebody very often.

Something I like to do is sideb towards somebody and jump well before I get to them to either land and dtilt or just fair when they try to punish, and mix that up with (very rarely) attempting to hit with the car. You can also throw out a mechakoopa after you jump back as a mixup if they don't like to run after you.

I really love this character but I'm somewhat concerned about the low damage output on his normals combined with low killpower outside of the smashes and upb, since the smashes have small hitboxes and the upb is awkward as a finisher. I don't think this kills the char, but I think it will take a lot of work to do well with him.

Also, cannonball when people are trying to land is amazing. Seriously, try it. The airdodge landing lag makes it so easy to land.

tl;dr He has all the options he needs and more, but doesn't kill well and has somewhat low damage potential is ;-;

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I'm surprised to be reading all of this. Most of what I've read is very discouraging except for a few posts like Meno's. I'm surprised people think this character is mid tier, he's so strong and really versatile. You guys are hardcore sleeping on your character. I don't know how you can ignore all the strong points of this character and not see how good he is.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I'm surprised to be reading all of this. Most of what I've read is very discouraging except for a few posts like Meno's. I'm surprised people think this character is mid tier, he's so strong and really versatile. You guys are hardcore sleeping on your character. I don't know how you can ignore all the strong points of this character and not see how good he is.
I'm not ignoring the strong points of him at all; I've been playing and experimenting with bowser jr extensively. He has some really cool options and combo opportunities but from what I've seen he isn't extremely versatile and needs to be played with a very high skill level to make a place for himself competitively. He has two projectiles; A cannonball that can easily be avoided by most characters and has a lot of ending lag and a mechakoopa which is GREAT for zoning/stage control, but any competent opponent can pick it up and throw it right back at you, turning it into a nuisance for yourself instead of the enemy. Fair and bair can be auto-cancelled from a short hop with is great, gives him some more options. Dair is very risky and has a lot of ending lag if it misses or hits an opponent's shield. Uair is great for juggling but if you're not careful your opponent can counter it with an aerial of their own. All his tilts are great. F/Dtilt are great for poking, and U-tilt combos into itself and can lead to uair juggling IF your opponent doesn't vector properly. Clown car honestly isn't that great except for recovering IMO. Players unfamiliar with Jr will probably be intimidated by the car, but players who know what they're up against know that the car isn't so scary. Up-B is a gimmick-y move; Don't get me wrong I love it with a passion but honestly. If you up-B your opponent on stage and know which way they'll be sent flying, you can follow up that hit with his hammer if you have good reflexes which is a devastating combo, but it's a gimmick and if you do it often (By which I mean more than like twice a match tops) you'll just be put in a bad position when your opponent shields the explosion.

Up smash is great and you can do it out of shield, but you can also whiff it easily depending on the direction you're facing and your opponent can vector out of it before the final hit, leaving you vulnerable to a punish. Forward smash is an AMAZING kill move... If you can hit it. And if you miss, prepare your diddly hole cause you're gonna get punished HARD. Down smash is also good with plenty of knockback, but once again it's got a good amount of ending lag.

Bowser Jr. has a LOT of potential and I'll be sticking with him as I said earlier, but I'm being realistic here. Once someone knows how to deal with Jr, he has to try SO much harder to win.

MikeyAM

Smash Rookie
Just to play devil's advocate a bit:
  1. Mechakoopa ... any competent opponent can pick it up and throw it right back at you.
    Mechakoopa is great for zoning/stage control, true. It's true that it can be picked up, but that's much harder to do if you pressure your opponent after you deploy it. Force the choice: if they pick it up they get hit with a tilt or dash attack. If not, they get hit with the item itself. This kind of pressure was integral to diddy kong gameplay in brawl as bananas and peanuts were catchable by anyone. Also, try to deploy mechakoopa facing the edge so you can immediately pick it up more often. The downside here seems avoidable enough to the point of being negligible.
  2. Uair is great for juggling but if you're not careful your opponent can counter it with an aerial of their own.
    So, it's an aerial. This is the situation when any character in the cast goes up in the air against any other character in the cast. It is true though, Uair comes out really fast and its knockback is ideal for chaining into more Uair.
  3. Clown car honestly isn't that great except for recovering IMO.
    Clown car is a great recovery tool, like you said. I also agree that, as a straight attack, it's predictable and underwhelming. However, it gives us a third jump which is useful in taking advantage of Jr.'s strong suit: his aerial game. It's also a really nice tool for mixing up your approach and defensive options. If you refrain from driving directly into the opponent and instead cancel into a jump it becomes much more useful.
  4. Up-B is a gimmick-y move.
    This is the only area where I really disagree with you. I feel like Up-B is one of Jr.'s stronger moves. First of all, as a recovery tool, it has enough range to be reliable. It's also useful as an edgeguard tool. Firing it off as your opponent is coming off the ledge covers their normal get-up and jump off the ledge options -- making roll their only really safe option. You can also up-b out of clown car, which is another useful mix up. I agree that, overall, Up-B should be used sporadically, but I think calling it gimmick-y undersells it a bit.
It seems to me that Jr. has a useful item game, very strong aerial and tilt games, and solid mixup / mind games with clown car and up-b. He's also got a great recovery and is heavy enough to put it to good use. Securing a kill with him takes some work, but his aerials and up-b are useful options, and, if you can land a smash, it's gravy. To be honest, my biggest complaint with his moveset is his grab, which is situational at best, in my opinion. I don't think he's top tier (nowhere near, really, as the the top 6 or so characters are pretty insane), but I think he'll find his way to high tier pretty handily.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Clown car should mostly be used as a whiff punish situation. You throw it out in footsies situations, and look for a whiff punish since it drops you backwards. If they commit, you hit them with the car and combo, an if not, you jump and approach/react from the air. It gets a lot better when you've got a koopa, since you can just go over them and Z drop it if their shield.

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
My biggest grip with his Up-B is its deceptively small hitbox - his dtilt and even neutral jab have more range. A lot of the time the car itself can knock enemies out of the explosion range if it hits them. Plus if you try it and miss when the enemy is grounded, you're pretty much a sitting duck until you get back on stage. As good as his out-of-car hammer is, it doesn't have anything on a shield. All a good player needs to do is read where you're going and you can be really punished.

On the other side, however, grounded up-b can also have a huge reward if you're good enough to follow up with the aerial hammer - the explosion-hammer combo can kill as early as 70% on mid-weight fighters (about 90% if used at the center), but it's a big risk-vs-reward play.

The clown car has the same problem - all of its approaches can be stopped with a shield.
One thing I've been meaning to try is cart approach > jump cancel > mechakoopa drop to keep the pressure on, but I'm not sure how well it'd work with the move's hefty lag, and because the mechakoopa also has 'landing lag' the opponent would have ample opportunity to grab it so long as they react quick enough.

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Just to clarify, you mean his hammer swing after up-b when you say "no car neutral".
Yes I do. Since he doesn't have to swing his hammer after his up B, I'm hoping "No Car Neutral Air" catches on because it's clearly defined and strokes my ego. It's a vicious edge guarding option as you can leave the car to explode on the ledge and then have your hammer ready to intercept a higher recovery angle.

Bowser Jr has one of the strongest off-stage chases in the game thanks to his army knife of strong, versatile airs and the massive recovery AND lethality in his up B.
I honestly think Bowser Jr. will be a higher tier character.

Though a little off topic if they ever allow custom move use in competitive (perhaps reserved only for bottom tier characters?) then his meteor eject would also be one of the safest.

Also, if you're letting opponents pick up your mechas you need to rush with the mecha (possibly with side B) and pressure. This gives a chance for the mecha to latch on or to at least give you a chance to pick it up first.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Just to play devil's advocate a bit:
  1. Mechakoopa is great for zoning/stage control, true. It's true that it can be picked up, but that's much harder to do if you pressure your opponent after you deploy it. Force the choice: if they pick it up they get hit with a tilt or dash attack. If not, they get hit with the item itself. This kind of pressure was integral to diddy kong gameplay in brawl as bananas and peanuts were catchable by anyone. Also, try to deploy mechakoopa facing the edge so you can immediately pick it up more often. The downside here seems avoidable enough to the point of being negligible.
  2. So, it's an aerial. This is the situation when any character in the cast goes up in the air against any other character in the cast. It is true though, Uair comes out really fast and its knockback is ideal for chaining into more Uair.
  3. Clown car is a great recovery tool, like you said. I also agree that, as a straight attack, it's predictable and underwhelming. However, it gives us a third jump which is useful in taking advantage of Jr.'s strong suit: his aerial game. It's also a really nice tool for mixing up your approach and defensive options. If you refrain from driving directly into the opponent and instead cancel into a jump it becomes much more useful.
  4. This is the only area where I really disagree with you. I feel like Up-B is one of Jr.'s stronger moves. First of all, as a recovery tool, it has enough range to be reliable. It's also useful as an edgeguard tool. Firing it off as your opponent is coming off the ledge covers their normal get-up and jump off the ledge options -- making roll their only really safe option. You can also up-b out of clown car, which is another useful mix up. I agree that, overall, Up-B should be used sporadically, but I think calling it gimmick-y undersells it a bit.
It seems to me that Jr. has a useful item game, very strong aerial and tilt games, and solid mixup / mind games with clown car and up-b. He's also got a great recovery and is heavy enough to put it to good use. Securing a kill with him takes some work, but his aerials and up-b are useful options, and, if you can land a smash, it's gravy. To be honest, my biggest complaint with his moveset is his grab, which is situational at best, in my opinion. I don't think he's top tier (nowhere near, really, as the the top 6 or so characters are pretty insane), but I think he'll find his way to high tier pretty handily.

You make some very good points, and I agree with them. I feel like my overview of clown car was lazily done since I didn't mention it can be jump-cancelled and so it came off more harshly than I meant it to. Same situation with up-B actually.. What I meant was it was gimmick-y to use onstage. It's a fantastic recovery and if you get hurt by any source while in the "freefall" of it you can hit L and get back in the car as I'm sure anyone reading this thread knows. This means you can hold a mecha koopa, up-B and then wait for the koopa to explode and regain your car along with the ability to use clown car again. Kinda like Link's bomb jumping but a little more inconvenient. Timed correctly, you can hop from the ledge, use cannonball, and it'll push you right back to the ledge. It's only good if your opponent is far away from you but it gives you something else to do from the ledge and it looks neat.

I think Jr will be somewhere in high* tier as well, or at the very least near the top of mid tier.

Last edited:

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
Quick question: Does anyone else feel that Jr.'s grab is terrible? I've been trying to shield grab many things to punish, and it just always seems to fail me. It's comes out slower than tether grabs like ZSS, the range is not amazing, and we can't even get anything off of our grabs it feels like, other than stage control. And the dash grab doesn't seem stellar either. I dunno, the more I try to use it, the more it reminds me how bad it seems.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
Quick question: Does anyone else feel that Jr.'s grab is terrible? I've been trying to shield grab many things to punish, and it just always seems to fail me. It's comes out slower than tether grabs like ZSS, the range is not amazing, and we can't even get anything off of our grabs it feels like, other than stage control. And the dash grab doesn't seem stellar either. I dunno, the more I try to use it, the more it reminds me how bad it seems.

Grab should be used very sparingly; It's laggy and easy to miss with. The best usage I've found for it so far is as a mixup during my neutral play.

I'll elaborate on that a little.

Bowser Jr's fair and bair both autocancel, meaning if you short hop + fair/bair you won't have that awful landing lag. Fair has a lot of wonky hitboxes that can keep enemies at bay. Bair has a beefy hitbox with great knockback on the sweetspot. Utilizing these your opponent has a few options:

1. Run away and spam projectiles

2. Try to challenge fair/bair with another attack

3. Shield.

If they run away and spam projectiles, just fight back with your own. Pick up your mechakoopa and lob it at them, or use it to cover your approach with fair/bair or the occasional clown car approach leading into jump + aerial, up-B, or spinout if they aren't shielding. If they ARE shielding, you can get a grab that way.

If they try to challenge fair/bair they'll probably lose at which point you can follow up with another aerial or maybe a grab/smash attack. If they challenge it and win, you'll need to find another way to get in their face.

If they shield, you can land and shield grab or just retreat and start the process over.

Down throw is good on less floaty characters at low %s because you can down throw and follow up with fair/RAR bair. EDIT: I was thinking of dair. Down throw is kinda bad since you can't follow up on it and it doesn't kill until very high %.

Back throw/forward throw I really only use to get a character offstage. That seems like the best use of them.

I haven't experimented with up throw much so I'll get back to you on that... I could do up-throw to dash->upsmash to up tilt to up-smash on falco in training mode at 0%, so it might have potential.

I mostly use grab to hold my opponent in place while my mechakoopa walks over to them to explode, leading to a combo.

And remember if your opponent's shield is getting low, F-smash can break it.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I've been playing Bowser Jr. (henceforth referred to as Ludwig in this post, because he's the best Koopaling and who I personally use as far as alternates go) quite a bit since I acquired the game. I've been doing quite well with him. 120 W/29 L so far with him. Not particularly spectacular, but I play in short bursts for a few hours a night, sometimes skipping a night.

Anyway, here's a few things I've noted while playing Ludwig in For Glory and against friends:

Regarding Mechakoopa:

1.) If the enemy is stalling, or keeping their distance, in many cases you can Down-B -> Double Jump -> Neutral-B. In a lot of cases I've noticed, most players either get hit by the Mechakoopa, jump into the Cannonball, or pick up the Mechakoopa and let the Cannonball fall onto them. Get a feeling for where the Cannonball drops compared to where you and the opponent is. It becomes second-nature after a while.

2.) The Mechakoopa has saved my bacon on more than one occasion. Having a Mechakoopa present on the battlefield at all times (or as often as it's safe), especially against powerful, projectile-happy characters like Samus and Megaman, is crucial.

3.) Mechakoopa makes for surprisingly good edgeguarding. This applies more for the characters that have strong vertical recovery specials like Ike, Marth, Mario and others. Chill near the edge double jump when they get close and drop a Mechakoopa on their face. It's not likely to kill them or even really gimp them, but free, safe damage is still free, safe damage.

4.) Don't underestimate the old adage 'Out of sight, out of mind.'. Release your Mechakoopa behind you before you attempt an approach. Most players forget about it because the camera zooms in and it disappears off-screen. I've used this to great effectiveness, including grabbing them and letting the Mechakoopa do extra damage before a throw, and having it save me from a failed read. If your opponent is too clever to just let Mechakoopa wander aimlessly around the battlefield, let it rebound off the edge of the stage and greet your opponent at random.

Regarding Kart Racin':

1.) Most of us here already know how to jump out of Ludwig's side-special. This is where the majority of Ludwig's mindgames comes from. If you're not using this special regularly, you're doin' it wrong. The point is to keep pressure on the enemy, keep them guessing what you're doing to do. Don't let the cart spin out unless you're trying for a KO. Always jump out of it otherwise.

2.) If you happen to hit the enemy while racin', they're usually popped up too low to hit with anything else.. except for down-air. You can get away with this up to 20% on some enemies. After that, you should be using neutral-air or up-air. If you're fancy, you can sometimes back-air if you jump out of the attack a little late.

3.) Speaking of back-air, if your opponent isn't good at grabbing you out of the cart or is shield happy, jumping out of the special after passing through them can sometimes allow you to back-air them when they drop their shield to punish. Alternately, practice jumping early and using d-air. It's considerably safer in most cases if you practice ensuring your d-air positions you behind the enemy to avoid being grabbed.

4.) If you have a roll-happy opponent, you can get free hits using this, especially at close range. Most of my hits with the cart come from chasing habitual rollers.

Regarding Cannonballs:

1.) The drop on the cannonball is, interestingly enough, one of Ludwig's best ranged tools. If you get good enough at it, you can use the drop to edgeguard. There's more practical ways to approach edgeguarding with Ludwig, but this is another possibility. Plus, it looks great when you pull it off.

2.) The Cannonball does surprising amounts of shield damage. In most cases, with some help with a Mechakoopa, you can get someone's shield down to a level where an f-smash will break the shield. Problem is, the window for this is so small, since shields tend to recharge fairly quickly.

Regarding Eject Button:

1.) When you use your recovery, it's good to note that as long as the copter exists, it's an active hitbox. This is especially useful when it comes to countering speedsters and rush-happy enemies, like Fox, Sonic, Little Mac and Captain Falcon. Many of these players tend to rush in to try to grab or hit you before you can do anything. Leave 'em a nasty little surprise from time to time, since if they run into it they're almost guaranteed to get an explosive present afterward.

2.) Ludwig's recovery move is easily one of the best and simplest edgeguarding tools I've had the pleasure of utilizing in a Smash game. Wait for them to approach the stage, drop the copter on their face. Easy. Even if they're not hit by the explosion, and are instead hit by just the copter's falling hitbox, sometimes the confusion alone is enough to net you an SD. This is more prominent when playing online, unfortunately.

3.) Ludwig's hammer attack post-ejection is a really strong KO attack. Unfortunately, it's also a risky maneuver to chase opponents like this, and is usually best used for surprises and chasing enemies with slow aerials. Learn the slight delay this attack has. You'll typically want to press the button just before you're lined up with the enemy to hit them. Alternatively, you can wait a moment to punish potential air dodgers.

Most of this advice has already been posted, I noticed, but I went ahead and posted some of it regardless. So, props to people that beat me to it. Hopefully some of this helps Ludwig (or other, unnamed pretenders) players.

Top Bottom