• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Viability of Final Smash

allshort17

Smash Ace
It seems like in this game, final smashes have also received balance changes as well, such as mode changing final smashes (such as Sonic or Pika) becoming weaker and shorter in duration. Also, it looks like it takes less hits to break the smash ball. I'm neutral on the inclusion of final smashes, but has anyone looked into this possibility or is at least slightly curious?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npk7Fk8e40g
All final smashes

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
I have no opinion on the issue of including them or not, but one upside: they can make matches quicker, more exciting and dramatic.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
It's never going to happen. Not only are Final Smashes terribly unbalanced, but they disrupt the flow of a match.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely not for it and I don't think that there will be many people who want final smashes or any items in the game. It takes away skill and adds randomness. Maybe in the next smash game if there's a super move system like other fighting games that allows a character to use a final smash after getting combos, we can talk about final smashes in competitive.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
Smash balls, at least in the competitive (hardcore) sense, will never appear in a tourney. Nintendo has been sponsoring item based tourneys as of late, so if you enjoy Final Smashes, you may see one there.

iNinja5567

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNinja5567
3DS FC
1435-5269-0072
I don't think they should be included in competitive play, but they are fun to play with non-competitively.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
While I enjoy the added tension when the final smash floater appears on screen, and do not mind it at all in casual matches. However for something like competitive play imo the final smash introduces just too many unpredictable variables that would adversely affect the match's flow and the player strategy, shifting focus off of the combatants. a solid 1 on 1 match where the two opponents are fairly matched and neither opponent can really achieve much of a lead on the other. by the end of the match, a transformation has taken place. the tension isnt increased due to a seemingly elusive, pretty looking little floaty sphere that entices the players to take and occasionally lose big risks. No, the edge of your seat end of match tension should be the result of no holds barred, gloves off, slug fest where the weakest player or the player who read his opponent wrong is mercilessly KO'ed moments before the end of match.

cliffs: no final smash for competition or "serious" (lol) matches

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
I want it to happen more that's why I like Nintendo hosing tournaments maybe 2 times a year.

Having never played Brawl i'm looking forward to trying the final smashes for myself.

Edit: Are there free for all tournaments?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There wouldn't be free for all tournaments played at top level, no.
Final Smashes are great for 4 player action but I've never enjoyed them in anything but.
Although there are various balance quirks across the range of Final Smashes, for the most part not only will item play still take a backseat, it also polarises game play.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I want it to happen more that's why I like Nintendo hosing tournaments maybe 2 times a year.

Having never played Brawl i'm looking forward to trying the final smashes for myself.

Edit: Are there free for all tournaments?
Keep in mind 'competitive tournaments' are pro-level events, and always aspire to prepare players for the potential of them too becoming pro-level high-level players.

When certain things are banned, it's not because we never play with them or don't find them fun, it's because it doesn't fit in with the competitive pro-level focus.

Tournaments aren't the only kind of social gathering 'meet other smashers and fight each other for fun' events we host in the community - events like smashfests and smash gatherings are a thing too, as well as side events at tournies. So don't worry - you can still meet new smashers in person and play with smash balls on! :)

But Tournaments are a specific kind of even in the smash community, and as such understandably have a specific ruleset. But they are not the only kind of events the smash community has. :)

Welcome to SmashBoards. I hope that was helpful! Welcome to our community!

Last edited:

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
If they are broken, unbalanced, promote camping until the Smash Ball spawn, overemphasize one character type (e.g., speedy) or stage type over all others, or otherwise overcentralize gameplay, then they should be banned. If not, then they should be legal. Just like literally everything else.

In a matchup of Ness vs Link, Ness has a literally useless move, Down B, because Link does not use energy based projectiles. But, just because one character has a trash move in one scenario, that doesn't mean we should start banning things. Yes, Peach's FS may not have the utility of ZSS', but I guarantee you, against Mac on FD, it's a great move. All of that will be factored into her matchups with FS' on and that will determine her overall viability, just like anything else.

TL;DR: don't be doofuses, test everything, THEN come to conclusions.

Llumys

Smash Champion
It's not even an issue of them being unbalanced. They're banned from competitive play for the same reason all items are banned. Luck should have virtually no influence on a match's result.

If, for example, Smash 4 introduced a meter system for Final Smashes, then we could consider legalising them. However, in competition, there is no place for Smash Balls spawning at random times, in random locations, and with random health.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Wrong thread well 1v1 get kinda boring to watch after awhile (melee). think a battle royal tournament be unique but guess i'll watch doubles if I want 4 people on screen.

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
For this game they're not viable at all. They're like any item where it come down to luck of the draw on where it spawn. Plus they're not balanced at all.

I think the only way we'll ever see final smashes in competitive is if in a future game there's a meter bar or something (like Little Mac has) and they're toned down and rebalanced.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
As much as I'd like to hear D1 scream "SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT," I agree with everyone else. They have no place in competitive play.

Top Bottom