• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comparing Melee and Project M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I prefer Brawl Samus' Screw Attack more than her Melee one, and can only hope it still has that vaccuum effect in P:M. You can call me a scrub or whatever for actually liking these things and defending them, but what would be the reasoning to downgrade these things back to how they were before? Because Melee?
They kept the vacuum effect on 'Dorf's up tilt so don't fret, there's hope.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
RIP Game Grumps.
"A preceding title should act as an inspiration for a sequel, a launch pad aiming the production towards greater things. A sequel shouldn't be weighed down by irrelevant traditions for the sake of consistency. We've already played the first one, let's see what new stuff the second one can show us." -Egoraptor

See what I did there?

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
PM is definitely my favorite. However, melee has a lot "tighter" controls. I'm sure most of you know what I mean. I love project m and way prefer it to melee, even though melee is awesome. However, I definitely have way more control over my character in melee.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I played Melee for the first time in a long time for the past couple of days. Honestly, it felt...weird. Very stiff and awkward. Like I was a slug covered in cement trying to slowly slither across molasses while pulling a two ton rock across a football stadium.

I eventually got used to it and had fun, but something was missing. I went back to P:M afterwards and not only did I feel more comfortable, I felt better at the game than before. I suddenly didn't find myself having to only fight Level 6 CPUs cause the 9s were kicking my asses. Now I could handle the 9s with no problem. 1 on 1, 4 man FFA or even 3 vs 1.

Plus, I use the Classic Controller Pro with modified controls for P:M and Ioved it for the whole year I've been doing it more than all the previous years of a Gamecube controller before that. it's light, easy to hold, the buttons press down very easily, and I have 3 pairs of rechargeable batteries to use for my Wiimote, so I never have to worry about running out of power.

But yeah, tangent aside, Project:M is the best Smash there is right now. I know it is for me, at least. :3

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
I read your first post as being sarcastic, and/or along the lines of using legal stage at least.
They be all mad cause' I stay styling on them.
Yeah I only use legal stages, but I was serious on the FD bit. The people I play with LOVE FD for some reason. It just sunk into me as well I guess.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
RIP Game Grumps.
I'm getting used to Dan and Steam Train (albeit a terrible pilot) is doing a hell lot better now.

I'll be honest here, if PM had all those meaty feeling hits, satisfying SFX, and etc that was in Melee, I would never play melee again in my life.
And also I know I might get some flack for this, but Marth feels really really weird in PM.

Vashimus

Smash Master
"A preceding title should act as an inspiration for a sequel, a launch pad aiming the production towards greater things. A sequel shouldn't be weighed down by irrelevant traditions for the sake of consistency. We've already played the first one, let's see what new stuff the second one can show us." -Egoraptor

See what I did there?
AKA what I just quoted?

In relation to Game Grumps, I never laughed so damn hard in my life.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
AKA what I just quoted?
Yeah, that was the point. I was flipping the quote to point out that people complaining about Jon leaving are being babies. In retrospect, the quote doesn't fit nearly as well as I initially thought, but seriously. I miss Jon as much as the next guy, but Danny is really good too.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I love P:M but I feel in some ways it's trying to be Melee too much and not focused enough on being the best damn mod it can be. Melee was awesome but not everything about the engine was perfect or even good.

I agree. P:M succeeds mostly in what it attempts to do and makes arguably the best Smash Bros game out there (even if it's not official). However, it unfortunately carries over some of the things wrong with Melee's balance (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth), meaning these characters have fewer counters or the counters don't do enough to balance their strengths out.

Never the less, since it's technically still not complete and is constantly being updated, it can easily become both an amazing party game and a competitive one- just what Smash Bros should be.

MVP

Smash Ace
I agree. P:M succeeds mostly in what it attempts to do and makes arguably the best Smash Bros game out there (even if it's not official). However, it unfortunately carries over some of the things wrong with Melee's balance (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth), meaning these characters have fewer counters or the counters don't do enough to balance their strengths out.

Never the less, since it's technically still not complete and is constantly being updated, it can easily become both an amazing party game and a competitive one- just what Smash Bros should be.

i disagree with the statement that fox, falco, sheik and marth have few counters. A lot of MU now are pretty much even now. very close to call

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't call it easier. I'd call it better designed and better balanced.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call it easier. I'd call it better designed and better balanced.

There's more viable characters and fun/interesting sub-systems, but I'd definitely still call it easier because everyone feels like Sheik (lookin' at you, G&W).

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
Does 1 frame really make it "much easier" ? Because if so, I suck at this game lol. Well I do anyways, but I suck even more than I thought I did.

D

Deleted member

Calling it "easier" has a negative connotation that Melee ****-riders are going to eat up. Some things being harder doesn't necessarily equate to things being better.

"Luigi Cyclone was better in Melee because you had to use it on the ground first before you could use it to recover. STRATEGY!!!"

No, that's just dumb design.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I wish DACUSes were a bit easier, currently people have to switch their controls or entire hand positions momentarily to do it [Reflex / Magus]

It's still not certain though if it's possible to do for a character without effecting at all their dash or dash attack, though it might be because Lucas originally (from Brawl) had frame speed modifiers on his dash attack or something that made his DACUS easier in 2.1 which they took out (and pry changed the frames of his dash attack to still be the same) in 2.5 (making it harder, with possibly the positive effect of making his dash attack look more normal or something but questions like these pry won't see an answer).

Does 1 frame really make it "much easier" ? Because if so, I suck at this game lol. Well I do anyways, but I suck even more than I thought I did.
Turn on Melee and SH with Fox (or Sheik/ICs) and then Marth

Black Tyranno

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to go with Melee for now. There are just a few things that keep me coming back to Melee.
- Nearly 12 years of meta-game development
- The ability to tether grab any vertical surface
- Light Shielding
- Samus

Once all the small issues are addressed (input lag, stage collision detection bugs, ect..) there's no doubt in my mind that PM would be the better game. So far the only thing I'm really disliking about PM is Lucario. I just do not agree with his design. I feel the same way about Melee ICs too though.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Calling it "easier" has a negative connotation that Melee ****-riders are going to eat up. Some things being harder doesn't necessarily equate to things being better.

"Luigi Cyclone was better in Melee because you had to use it on the ground first before you could use it to recover. STRATEGY!!!"

No, that's just dumb design.

The easier/harder distinction is self-explanatory, people will keep playing what they like to play and your choice of words aren't going to affect their experience with the games.

Melee Luigi Cyclone has some weird ground->air tech that lets you automatically go to the max height but it's exactly the same as using the max mash rate in the air (used to see Ka-Master do it live, it was insane lol). Project M's Luigi Cyclone either goes higher with the same taps or takes less taps to go the same height, or both but I haven't really played enough with Luigi to tell.

D

Deleted member

My point is that while some things may be a bit easier to perform, it is a result of fixing up some of the design flaws of Melee. Unfortunately there are people out there who will look at you guys calling it easier, take that at face value, and immediately think it's less competitive and therefore shouldn't be taken as seriously.

JayAlpha

Smash Rookie
Project M definitely has Versus mode beat but I wanna see what they do to adventure mode before I decide.

TheJedi

Smash Rookie
Melee is more fun to move around in. Which is why i play smash, for the physics. P:M feels kinda brawly to me. For example, in Melee if i get forward tilted by marth i will hit the ground before he can punish again, unless he tried for a throw. In p:m i fly up into the air.

Marth in P:M is ****in' brain dead. why is every move a tipper?
and overall i feel like there's a lot of unfair things in p:m.

people say that the tier list in melee really decides a lot, this is untrue. you can still outplay your opponent and win with a lower-mid tier to mid-tier characters. although you may not ever win a regional tournament** (this is true for all fighting games though)

pretty much all moves send you into the air in p:m, why is this? i also hate that lag or what ever. wave dashing isnt that good/ the same.
(no fun sliding with luigi or mario in P:m ;( why does fox bounce his head into the ground instead of sliding like a cool guy?)

PLUS ONE HUGE TECHNICAL DRAW BACK IS THAT YOU CANT WAVE DASH OUT OF SHIELD IF YOUR HOLDING DOWN THE L/R button all the way! i literally have to train myself to not hold shield all the way. also...why is power-shielding super easy?

P:M is marvel 3,moves have a buffer, simplified, easy (to an extent), one touch can kill its simple enough for all to do it, more random bracket results, it also feels harder to gimp people, and not hard in a good way. in a why are you still alive i can feel the brawl dna sort of way.

Melee is like Marvel 2, tech skill is considered hard (even though i personally dont think any basic tech skill is hard, just takes a day or so of practice), controls are smooth yet rigid at first, one touch can lead to a kill but only with solid reads and consistency, more "realistic" gravity, the weight and feel of the moves and characters feels true.

P:M drawbacks part deux
no light shields
Fox's upthrow isn't good any more (im a Melee fox main, P:M fox is all about camping and ****. thats not me)
When i lose in P:m i feel like i lost to someone worse then me.
Mario is worse? this doesn't make sense, i know. he has a better recovery, but his wave dash isn't as good. he's also much floatier. i got some very solid reads with a forward smash on marth around 90% on battlefield...he didn't die.
Also characters grab the ledge a lot easier (one of those things that means less gimps)
also hate the fact that even dash-dancing is easier***

all in all P:m is still a fun game. just doesn't suit my play-style competitively.
I think Melee is a True-Skill game. just like N-64 smash.

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
There's a lot in your post that's just flat-out wrong (Marth's Ftilt hitboxes are identical), but the main thing is that you just bumped a year-old thread.

Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom