• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
On the topic of an Ice Climber reboot, I'd really like to see them go all out (never going to happen but still). I've mentioned on past Ice Climber threads a few times that I'd love to see a big co-op adventure/platformer.
Playing BotW made me realize how little is done in the icy terrain, it's practically undiscovered territory in gaming, and I'd like to see more of it.

I think a Spelunky-type game, or even a Journey-type game could do the Ice Climbers well, too. Really there's a lot of ways that franchise could go, if they ever attempt to rediscover it.

That being said with the giant list of games that need to be addressed, I'm not holding my breath.

Kirbeh Kirbeh I had a similar idea for costumes, and I really like it, but someone brought up that there may be legal issues or whatever, especially with 3rd parties. Don't know if it's true or not, but letting people make their own costumes seems like a no-brainer to me, so I'm guessing there's something there stopping it.
I'd honestly forgotten that it'd be an issue with third parties. Plus it'd still be a problem with certain Nintendo characters like Pikachu since Game Freak only allows him to tinted differently whch is why he uses hats in the first place. Guess that shoots that idea down then. Kind of disappointing but I guess it's out of their hands. The devs have to respect the wishes of the owners of the characters they're using after all.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Kirbeh Kirbeh I had a similar idea for costumes, and I really like it, but someone brought up that there may be legal issues or whatever, especially with 3rd parties. Don't know if it's true or not, but letting people make their own costumes seems like a no-brainer to me, so I'm guessing there's something there stopping it.
I'd honestly forgotten that it'd be an issue with third parties. Plus it'd still be a problem with certain Nintendo characters like Pikachu since Game Freak only allows him to tinted differently whch is why he uses hats in the first place. Guess that shoots that idea down then. Kind of disappointing but I guess it's out of their hands. The devs have to respect the wishes of the owners of the characters they're using after all.
I can't imagine there being any issues with a compromise like mixing and matching parts from various existing alts (for example, the green-tinted Pikachu with the hat from the red one, and that sort of thing), or just simply placing the required restrictions on how much the colours can be edited on particular characters, though.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
On the topic of an Ice Climber reboot, I'd really like to see them go all out (never going to happen but still). I've mentioned on past Ice Climber threads a few times that I'd love to see a big co-op adventure/platformer.
Playing BotW made me realize how little is done in the icy terrain, it's practically undiscovered territory in gaming, and I'd like to see more of it.

I think a Spelunky-type game, or even a Journey-type game could do the Ice Climbers well, too. Really there's a lot of ways that franchise could go, if they ever attempt to rediscover it.

That being said with the giant list of games that need to be addressed, I'm not holding my breath.
If Breath of the Wild has icy/snowy terrain, and since the game has mountains, have you been able to confirm if Wild Link is in fact an ice climber?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I can't imagine there being any issues with a compromise like mixing and matching parts from various existing alts (for example, the green-tinted Pikachu with the hat from the red one, and that sort of thing), or just simply placing the required restrictions on how much the colours can be edited on particular characters, though.
I suppose that'd possibly be a good compromise. Characters like Sonic, Pac-Man and Pikachu could have their color changes be restricted to other tints/like colors that their respective creators would approve of while the accessories like Pikachu's hats, Pac-Man's gloves/boots, and Sonic's bracelets/shoes would still be able to be changed with the full range of colors allowed for the rest of the cast.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I suppose that'd possibly be a good compromise. Characters like Sonic, Pac-Man and Pikachu could have their color changes be restricted to other tints/like colors that their respective creators would approve of while the accessories like Pikachu's hats, Pac-Man's gloves/boots, and Sonic's bracelets/shoes would still be able to be changed with the full range of colors allowed for the rest of the cast.
Precisely.

And I really hope this happens. It's a much-wanted feature of mine.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Dang! I just realized a BotW-styled Ice Climber probably would have gone well on Switch had TLoZ not done it themselves...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd imagine that would be the way it'd have to be if they do it at all, which imo is kind of dissapointing, and let's be honest, it's not going to change the fact people will still be heavily invested in costume mods. People like artistic freedom. With that in mind I can see why the crew doesn't do it at all.

If Breath of the Wild has icy/snowy terrain, and since the game has mountains, have you been able to confirm if Wild Link is in fact an ice climber?
That is technically correct. The best kind of correct.

Dang! I just realized a BotW-styled Ice Climber probably would have gone well on Switch had TLoZ not done it themselves...
I like to look at it like a starting ground. Obviously there'd be different elements to it. Link doesn't have the hops the IC's do, different enemies, goals, etc... A lot can still be done in that scenery. I'd also like a more reactive environment. Crumbling slopes, avalanches, falling icicles; in the cold areas in BotW all you really have to fear is the cold itself.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
What the heck happened? 11 days without posting!!! (Coincidentally, it's my birthday today so...)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
What the heck happened? 11 days without posting!!! (Coincidentally, it's my birthday today so...)
Happy Birthday!

I suppose there just hasn't been to say given that we still don't even know if a new Smash is coming. When it comes to the Icies themselves, most points have been pretty much covered as far as I know. We know why they weren't in Smash For, and possible issues they may still posses in the future.

Speculation on a new Ice Climber game is also pretty open ended given that there's only been one game total, being the original and they haven't been used outside of Smash since.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Happy Birthday!

Another coincidence is that your birthday fell on the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launch day. Similar to how two years ago, the launch of Splatoon landed on my birthday, May 29. It's quite a special feeling when that happens lol.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Happy Birthday!

Another coincidence is that your birthday fell on the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launch day. Similar to how two years ago, the launch of Splatoon landed on my birthday, May 29. It's quite a special feeling when that happens lol.
My sister has had multiple Nintendo consoles launch either on or near her birthday. My dad just had the Switch launch on his. I don't get **** though.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I suppose there just hasn't been to say given that we still don't even know if a new Smash is coming.
Other than four mentions of it from high-up Nintendo of America staff this year so far, even though they're usually very secretive, plus 2014's "Smash 6" job-listing as posted by Bandai-Namco (which occurred shortly before Sakurai termed Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U as "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" respectively in an interview)? ;)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Other than four mentions of it from high-up Nintendo of America staff this year so far, even though they're usually very secretive, plus 2014's "Smash 6" job-listing as posted by Bandai-Namco (which occurred shortly before Sakurai termed Smash 3DS and Smash Wii U as "Smash 4" and "Smash 5" respectively in an interview)? ;)
I like to think that they had a trailer ready, but someone forgot to put it into the direct, and people like Reggie don't actually know they never announced it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Happy Birthday!

Also 2 years ago Mewtwo launched as the first SSB4 DLC on my birthday (to the public, if you had both versions you likely got him on the 15th).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Also 2 years ago Mewtwo launched as the first SSB4 DLC on my birthday (to the public, if you had both versions you likely got him on the 15th).
So what you're saying is we need to somehow get you to have more birthdays, so we can get more content right? We need to start falsifying some documents, quick.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So what you're saying is we need to somehow get you to have more birthdays, so we can get more content right? We need to start falsifying some documents, quick.
Sure, how many birthdays you want me to have? I'll talk with my parents and see what we can do.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well they better be spread out. And nothing in May or November. Those months are already crowded with birthdays in my family.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Yeah all that cake can't be good for you. RIP RnW's pants (literally).
Well there's that but I was thinking more along the lines of the rapid aging -- you'll have to graduate college in 4 days!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
WAIT!

Pi = 3.14

3.14 x 10 (# of months my birthday could be in) = 31.4

31.4 + .6 (percentage you'll win as ICies, 60%) = 32

32 = Number of mountains in the original Ice Climber

OMG ICIES CONFIRMED FOR SMASH 5 GUYS!!!1!!!111!!!!!1!!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I found these guys on Etsy;

They're pretty neat. Though, I admit, this does make me wish that there was an official Super Smash Bros. plush line - I can think of a few characters who wouldn't get any official merchandise otherwise, who I would certainly buy from such a collection.

Last edited:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
No ICs in Smash is a crime that needs to be fixed.

Here's hoping they actually make it this time.

The chaingrabs will be gone due to the new grab mechanics but despite that, there are still two of them. No matter the game, getting grabbed by them is still gonna be dangerous and it will still be your stock. They just wont 0-death you for getting grabbed once anymore and they have to work to get you to a percent where the grab will set you up for the kill. Assuming no changes happen to desynchs too of course :3.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That is the dream, certainly. The duo can be a major threat even without infinites so losing the one part of their arsenal that's actually game breaking right now seems perfectly reasonable.
Besides, being less of a one trick pantomime pony means we get to see more of the unique things that being a 2 in 1 lets them do. That has to be a plus.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
What I really want to see with the Ice Climbers return is the ability to play as Nana solo if Popo is knocked out of the ring. It was really annoying that if Nana got knocked out you could still play as Popo, but if he got knocked out Nana disappeared.

Let's hope the Switch can handle 8 pairs of Ice Climbers when Smash Switch comes out.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
What I really want to see with the Ice Climbers return is the ability to play as Nana solo if Popo is knocked out of the ring. It was really annoying that if Nana got knocked out you could still play as Popo, but if he got knocked out Nana disappeared.

Let's hope the Switch can handle 8 pairs of Ice Climbers when Smash Switch comes out.
while it's a cool idea, I'd argue that the player controlled character of the two has a larger responsibility so it's one thing if Nana dies on her own as a faulty computer but if the player does something risky and ends up dying, that's his own downfall :p. The transfer method would be despised so much by other players

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
while it's a cool idea, I'd argue that the player controlled character of the two has a larger responsibility so it's one thing if Nana dies on her own as a faulty computer but if the player does something risky and ends up dying, that's his own downfall :p. The transfer method would be despised so much by other players
On another hand to play devil's advocate, it could be a means to balance the character since they rely heavily on chain grabs to be as good as they are.

To further your point though, you are more literally at this point fighting 2v1, which would be unfair really. Killing the frontman is the main goal when fighting the IC's, and I don't think it should change as it works well.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
On another hand to play devil's advocate, it could be a means to balance the character since they rely heavily on chain grabs to be as good as they are.

To further your point though, you are more literally at this point fighting 2v1, which would be unfair really. Killing the frontman is the main goal when fighting the IC's, and I don't think it should change as it works well.
Agreed. You're already fighting 2 characters (technically), it'd be pretty unfair if you had to get 2 kills in order to destroy one of their stocks.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
One things id like to see added is the ability to get Nana back if Popo uses his final smash. Assuming it's the same, Id want it to look like Nana has been trying to climb back up the whole time and Popo "helps her out" while also bringing up the giant glacier.

Edited for horrible mobile errors.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
We're getting closer guys. Sooo close!

Oh no, does that mean no Villager?

Could anyone tell me how the dair works, kind of looks like that stall-then-fall attack that I hate, I hope it isn't. Also, I'm guessing it must be really difficult to get the dual mechanic and grab to work.

Looks amazing though, the models look day way better than I'd ever imagine them too. They've come a long way. Great job to whoever did these.

Top Bottom