• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo video question...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I love me some combo videos. Who doesn't? All those great techniques and awesome KOs netted. They always inspire me to get better.

That being said, something started to bug me. I noticed that the players in the combo video are moving around so fluently... so much so, it'd be hard to believe the clips were from wi-fi matches. Do people who post combo videos base their clips off wi-fi matches, local matches with a friend/sibling, or a combination of the two?

In the case of the former, I must say that their prowess in the lag-filled paradigm of wi-fi must be amazing.

Anyway, that's pretty much my question. If this thread seems inappropriate in this section, I apologize. It's just that this was something that has been bothering me since I started wi-fi playing today, with some match wins and losses hinging on whether the lag would screw one out of a maneuver they meant to perform only to be severely punished. >ω<

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There might be one or two that use Wifi, but I'd imagine it'd be made clear that it was somewhere. The vast majority of smash is played offline and most combo videos would use footage from offline tournaments and friendlies.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
With that, you've given me the answer I've been dying for. Really, thank you.

My worry stemmed from my seemingly poor wi-fi performance compared to offline, and I wanted to try to get footage/replay to help with the possible R.O.B. Community Combo Video. So I guess I just gotta find local friends to play against for that.

Once again, thanks. You've no idea (or perhaps you do) how much of a weight this has lifted. With that, you may close this thread if it's alright. ^-^

Kiru

Smash Cadet
IF your going to help with a combo video collab, note that your opponent has to show some knowledge of competitive brawl. Alot of people will post angry comments (rawr) about how your opponent was a noob and how the combos were easily escapable..

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
IF your going to help with a combo video collab, note that your opponent has to show some knowledge of competitive brawl. Alot of people will post angry comments (rawr) about how your opponent was a noob and how the combos were easily escapable..
You've a good point.

The good news: I've several friends who are knowledgable in Brawl.

The bad news: Brawls with them tend to last longer than 3 minutes.

I don't have Homebrew or any hack that would allow me to save replays longer than 3 minutes... which means I just have to ascend well beyond their abilities. Though I suppose if I do that, people will then call my opponents "noobs" and what-not, which only creates a conflict I want to avoid.

*sigh* This seems like a lose-lose situation here. =___=

Blissard

Smash Lord
Homebrew hacking isn't hard as long as you know what you're doing. I would really recommend hacking for Homebrew, since I love recording funny matches too :D

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Homebrew hacking isn't hard as long as you know what you're doing. I would really recommend hacking for Homebrew, since I love recording funny matches too :D
I never hacked a Wii before. Truth be told, I'm afraid to, due to my fear of irreversibly damaging it by hacking it incorrectly. Still, I'd love to record some matches, whether they're shorter than 3 minutes or not. ^-^

Kiru

Smash Cadet
You've a good point.

The good news: I've several friends who are knowledgable in Brawl.

The bad news: Brawls with them tend to last longer than 3 minutes.

I don't have Homebrew or any hack that would allow me to save replays longer than 3 minutes... which means I just have to ascend well beyond their abilities. Though I suppose if I do that, people will then call my opponents "noobs" and what-not, which only creates a conflict I want to avoid.

*sigh* This seems like a lose-lose situation here. =___=
Just follow instructions and make sure you start in the morning so you wont have to shut it off during the installation.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Just follow instructions and make sure you start in the morning so you wont have to shut it off during the installation.
Sounds good. I'll have to find the time for it. I don't have my own internet or PC (I use the Wii/PSP Browser). I leech off a neighbor's... for now. Still, I'll see if I can get it done at a friend's place. Thanks a bunch, guys. :3

Blissard

Smash Lord
I never hacked a Wii before. Truth be told, I'm afraid to, due to my fear of irreversibly damaging it by hacking it incorrectly. Still, I'd love to record some matches, whether they're shorter than 3 minutes or not. ^-^
With a hacked Wii, you can also have textures and everything too! But if you only need the video length hack, it'll be alot easier since you only need like half the files otherwise needed for texture hacks. It should only take 1 hour if you're good, maybe 2 hours if you get confused. You can ask me or any of the people in the customised content section if you're confused.

Oh btw, make sure you have a 2 GB or less SD card and a way to link it to your pc before any of this even starts XD

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
With a hacked Wii, you can also have textures and everything too! But if you only need the video length hack, it'll be alot easier since you only need like half the files otherwise needed for texture hacks. It should only take 1 hour if you're good, maybe 2 hours if you get confused. You can ask me or any of the people in the customised content section if you're confused.

Oh btw, make sure you have a 2 GB or less SD card and a way to link it to your pc before any of this even starts XD
Yeah, I also aim to get texture hacks as well. I thought it was only for Brawl+, but I hear it they're compatible with normal Brawl. I have an SD card I bought for that purpose, but later found out that at 8GBs, it was too big for Brawl to read. At any rate, I'll be sure to ask around in the appropriate thread or PM any of you guys if need be for any troubleshooting. Thanks. ^ω^

link2702

Smash Champion
combos....and brawl...? does not compute.

no such thing as real combos in brawl lol...

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
For me, (since i haven't had wi-fi in the LONGEST time but i participate in local tourneys and or play with friends) Found Wi-fi, at first, to be very,very, very laggy.

i felt so slow :sonic: and basically couldnt keep up and johned "FGSNDFJSNDS BUTTON LAG IS :mad::mad::mad:"

but eventually (say..4-5 days.) i got used to it.

It wasn't even close the greatness that is offline brawl, but i could handle it.

if i were playing friendlies, i didn't care for a yellow connection.
if i were playing competitive, i did not tolerate anything that wasn't green and or blue.
if i were playing DUBS :nifty: , it would apply to both.

so to answer your question..people who make wi-fi combo videos either play it everyday and it has become a daily basis to play at such lag, or they know how to abuse wi-fi.

:ike: "i fight for my lag abuse!"

Wi-Fike. He's coming for ya. :chuckle:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
For me, (since i haven't had wi-fi in the LONGEST time but i participate in local tourneys and or play with friends) Found Wi-fi, at first, to be very,very, very laggy.

i felt so slow :sonic: and basically couldnt keep up and johned "FGSNDFJSNDS BUTTON LAG IS :mad::mad::mad:"

but eventually (say..4-5 days.) i got used to it.

It wasn't even close the greatness that is offline brawl, but i could handle it.

if i were playing friendlies, i didn't care for a yellow connection.
if i were playing competitive, i did not tolerate anything that wasn't green and or blue.
if i were playing DUBS :nifty: , it would apply to both.

so to answer your question..people who make wi-fi combo videos either play it everyday and it has become a daily basis to play at such lag, or they know how to abuse wi-fi.

:ike: "i fight for my lag abuse!"

Wi-Fike. He's coming for ya. :chuckle:
AHAHAHAHAHA! Wow! That makes a lot of sense, and makes me not feel as bad for any of my losses, whilst making me feel better about my wins. The good news, is that I've some replays saved from several wi-fi matches that has KOs that (what I feel) are combo video worthy.

P.S. The ending part of your post: love it! It made my day, and made my cold a bit of an afterthought. Thanks. >ω<

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
Just so you know, you don't need to actually hack your wii to have hacks on Brawl. You can use the Smash Stack method to load hacks though a SSBB custom stage exploit. No homebrew needed.

That includes textures and everything.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Just so you know, you don't need to actually hack your wii to have hacks on Brawl. You can use the Smash Stack method to load hacks though a SSBB custom stage exploit. No homebrew needed.

That includes textures and everything.
But...the StackSmash method is actually a way to get HomeBrew on your Wii, not a code loader... >_>

I used it myself to get HomeBrew on my Wii...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, if there's a way to get texture hacks without hacking the Wii, then that's good enough for me. I just hope the method is safe.

P.S. Funny how the thread convo goes from Combo Videos to Homebrew. Though just as well, since Homebrew's ability to save replays longer than 3 minutes help with Combo Video stuff anyway. :3

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
But...the StackSmash method is actually a way to get HomeBrew on your Wii, not a code loader... >_>

I used it myself to get HomeBrew on my Wii...
Smash Stack can run codes through gecko I don't see the problem.
And some people would actually like not hacking there Wii's...

I would get back to the subject of the Combo Video but i got nothing to say lol.

Top Bottom