• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Vid Compilation (278 videos) Last Update: 7/26 (5 New Videos)

Ares726

Smash Ace
MrHazuki: That is a really cool video. It's one that I like a lot, but those combos only work because CPUs in Training Mode don't DI. Against anyone that could DI at all (i.g. a level 1 CPU) they would be conpletely ineffective. However, I think it is a great video and should, therefore, be watched for its entertainment value.

Tichinde: Right now I've got a crazy amount of Marth videos. Yours is alright, but it's just alright (in fact, I should probably go through those videos and take out the bad ones). You bascially used one move. You set up to it everytime, but you only used one. It was a good first video, and I'm very sure that if you make another one it'll be on here. Just not this one, not now. If people persuade me otherwise though, I'll put it up there. It's up to the Marth players out there to say it's good stuff.

majoras16

Smash Apprentice
Tichinde: Right now I've got a crazy amount of Marth videos. Yours is alright, but it's just alright (in fact, I should probably go through those videos and take out the bad ones). You bascially used one move. You set up to it everytime, but you only used one. It was a good first video, and I'm very sure that if you make another one it'll be on here. Just not this one, not now. If people persuade me otherwise though, I'll put it up there. It's up to the Marth players out there to say it's good stuff.
ares come on the guy did his best what if there are a lot of Marth videos, more and more just will make the collection bigger and i dont see anything bad in that, your thread should have ALL combo vids good and bad, and its a very good thread thats why it got the stick

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I was under the impression that all combo vids were to be placed here... :(

I find it unfair that you add Emmy's Twilight Princess but not mine. That was her first combo video as well!

My vid isnt 100% dair :p

2% = fsmash

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I find it unfair that you add Emmy's Twilight Princess but not mine. That was her first combo video as well!

2% = fsmash
Well, this thread took off pretty fast. Ares put some time and effort into it, and now he has to start weeding out some of the lesser vids, and has to start saying "no" to combo vids that aren't up to par. Otherwise, people will only watch one, maybe two combo vids and no more because tehy don't want to watch the bad ones.

Ares726

Smash Ace

2% = fsmash
I added Emmy's video because before it I had 2 Zelda videos. Two. That's nothing. There is no "bar" (at least a high one) set for the Zelda video section because there aren't enough videos to create a bar. Right now there are 11 videos in the Marth section. That's a ton. In fact it has the fourth most (C. Falcon, Falco, and Samus sections have 12). If there were only 2 videos in the Marth section, I would definitely add yours.

I don't have anything against people's first videos. There are a lot of firsts in this thread. I don't want to put every video here because this thread is about quality not quantity. I'll be weeding through everything when I get a big chunk of free time and then I'll start putting videos up.

There are other videos that people have posted that I have not added for one reason or another. You have a specific thread for you video already, and you've posted it in this thread. That's a pretty good bit of exposure right there. So what if it's not in the list, that's not a big deal. And like I said before, you've got a lot of potential. If you make another video I'm 98.6% sure it would get put on the master list.

Please try to understand that I'm not playing favorites or anything like that. I'm trying to advance the community.

Well, this thread took off pretty fast. Ares put some time and effort into it, and now he has to start weeding out some of the lesser vids, and has to start saying "no" to combo vids that aren't up to par. Otherwise, people will only watch one, maybe two combo vids and no more because tehy don't want to watch the bad ones.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Regarding videos that aren't up to par, I think that The Predator (the newest Falco video) doesn't really meet the standards set by the other 10 Falco videos. There aren't that many (or any at all) pillar scenes, if I recall correctly, and the majority was just SHL -> grab/FSmash. The mindgames were not the best, either.

majoras16

Smash Apprentice
yeah whats up with that
or the videos sections have limit?
what if ken does 12 combo vids and all of them are awsome? are u taking all of others marths combo videos because theres no space?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i like this idea
Why would anyone, under any circumstances, watch combo videos in the "bad" category? :p

If you really wanted to get technical about this kind of stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some sort of group of 3-5 all rate the combo vids from 1 to 10 or something. That way, you have a consistent basis on which a combo vid can be accepted or refused (say, above 6 would be a vid that would go in, 5 or under is refused from the list.

To decide whether or not ALL vids should be included in some way or another is to find the point of this thread.

Is it for good combo/instruction videos, or just all combo/instruction videos? Personally, I come here solely for learning new things with different characters and quite often am put off by a bad combo vid or two thrown into the mix of good ones.

Ares726

Smash Ace
If you really wanted to get technical about this kind of stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some sort of group of 3-5 all rate the combo vids from 1 to 10 or something. That way, you have a consistent basis on which a combo vid can be accepted or refused (say, above 6 would be a vid that would go in, 5 or under is refused from the list.
This was the original purpose of the BoC Polls. However, they haven't quite worked out how I thought they would. Ideally, a group of people who, between them, have in-depth knowledge of character would vote on the video.

Like always, I'm up for suggestions. This thread is for y'all much more so than for me. Let me know what you think would make it better. It'll take me something like 4 or 5 hours (minimum) to go through every video section and weed things out. Help would be awesome. So let's start there.

If you'd like to help me go through a character's video section and order the videos from best to worst, send me a private message. The help would be greatly appreciated. The only section I can go through with any sort of in-depth knowledge is the Sheik section. So...yea, I need 25 or so more.

Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure will come. Let's get rid of the bad videos so we can watch the best ones!

P.S.- I'd rather not make a "Garbage" section because (a) I'll get flamed ridiculously, (b) that would be incredibly disrespectful, and (c) I really just don't want to.

D

Deleted member

hey damon if you make it to the next baltimore bi weekly after this one we can finally have a match and do some vids!

Damon180

Smash Ace
hey damon if you make it to the next baltimore bi weekly after this one we can finally have a match and do some vids!

we did have one, but i had the jitters cause my first match of the night was against chinesah, second against you :). i'll do my best to make it to the next one, the 23rd is too close to the holiday. coming to scranton on the 30th?:)

Ares726

Smash Ace
I'm starting the overhaul of the entire thread today. Only one person answered my call for help in weeding out the weak videos, so their input is important in this process. However, anybody that wants a say can have one now. If you want your input heard during this process, post the name of the section and the videos you want to stay or go.
For example:

Marth

Keep
I'm Awesome
Look At Me
Best Video Ever
Ken Wishes He Was This Good

Remove
I Suck
Roxorzd
I've Never Played Marth Before
I Should Be Tippered for Making This Video

Everybody's input is important and will be considered!

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
If you'd like to help me go through a character's video section and order the videos from best to worst, send me a private message. The help would be greatly appreciated. The only section I can go through with any sort of in-depth knowledge is the Sheik section. So...yea, I need 25 or so more.

Thanks in advance for the help I'm sure will come. Let's get rid of the bad videos so we can watch the best ones!
Asking the people of SmashBoards to rank combo videos based on quality is so incredibly subjective that it's just asking for needless controversy. As much as everyone on these boards loves to make their tier lists and power rankings and all that, I just don't think it's a good idea to start grading every video alongside every other video and selecting which one's best, when in fact, a well-made combo video may have creative elements that differ only in appeal instead of quality.

This thread is a good idea, but I've always felt that it needs to be more comprehensive and encourage people to watch more videos, not less. I don't think you should even be highlighting the supposed "best," because while it may be a great combo video for that character, who's to say that the second best video isn't worth watching? Nobody, of course, but the guy who made the second best video probably feels a little shafted being listed amongst all these low-quality, shoddy old videos that deserve to be removed, all the while nobody viewing the thread is the wiser. I don't even know where to begin with watching Captain Falcon videos because there's just so many, so naturally I'll pick the "best" video because at least someone else agrees that it's worth watching. But in the end, I still don't know what I could be missing in the other offerings from the community, nor is there any indication of what they are beyond what the video's title implies.

There's already enough negativity and complete lack of respect for creativity on these boards to make me sick and I think I've figured out why. What I didn't realize when I got into this Smash video-production gig was that the term "combo video" has a surprisingly strict historical definition, dating back to the 2-D fighters. In the earliest combo videos, the definition was strictly literal, showcasing nothing but combos, being defined as sequences of uninterruptible attacks. These videos were marketed to a very particular audience, namely the competitive players of the game who wanted to explore the boundaries of its engine by challenging the strengths of their fingers.

As games themselves became more elaborate, both in gameplay and in graphics, the subsequent recordable footage became more interesting to the viewer's eye. As the internet phenomenon of YouTube can attest to, any time that videos become more interesting to the viewer, the audience inevitably expands and all of a sudden, these tech-heavy combo videos are being watched by people who only play casually and can hardly tell what's going on. Time went on and the interested audience continued to grow which meant that the footage had to stay fresh and appealing to allow the community to flourish. I watched an old Guilty Gear video today that opened with a clip of a very rapid one-hit KO immediately after the "Fight!" announcement. I don't know anything about the game or whether it was technically difficult to pull off or not, but it was five seconds of my life that I do not consider wasted. As simple as it is, footage of a one-hit KO in a game I've never seen before is still kinda cool to watch. That said, long-time players of the game have likely seen it many times and if there was GuiltyGearBoards.com, I'd put twenty bucks on several people questioning why it was in there. "Uh, isn't this supposed to be a combo video? That's not a combo." Great, thanks for the feedback, *******. :psycho:

And so now we are in the technologically magnificent generation of video gaming and there's this well-established community of 40,000 strong occasionally watching some Smash videos. As I said, with improvements to graphics, gameplay and, indeed, even the latest in video editing software, recording hardware and filesharing, creating your own video and uploading it to the internet for the masses is just too easy. And since practically anyone with an e-mail address can do this, the master library of videos is going to take a pretty sharp decline in overall quality (the same thing happened to fan fiction, I'm sure some of you writers know). However, the advent of technology also allows for a whole lot more creative wiggle room for those people who choose to put effort into the combo videos that get lost in the mix. SSBM, in particular, is a wonderful game to be capturing exciting footage from and I suspect that those who haven't really explored the field probably don't realize how versatile Camera Mode can be. Thus, the concept of an artistic combo video came to be, whether it was meant to exist or not.

Now, the first artistic combo video I saw was Mariotality 2, and at the time, I was still unaware of the difference between an artistic combo video and a technical one. In fact, I'm fairly certain that silversh4dow himself was unaware of the difference as well. Which is fair, because it seems that whether or not your video demonstrates "tech skill" is decided by the audience, not you. It is now clear to me that most people do in fact make their combo videos to try and demonstrate their technical ability in the game. However, whereas most people create videos under this pretense, it seems that ALL videos are watched with the expectation that the gameplay is going to be impressive. I should also mention that these concepts of artistic videos and technical ones are certainly not opposites; Mariotality 2 features technically sound gameplay (despite some disagreement amidst the obligatory "noob DI" comments) but the only reason it truly outshines the other Mario videos is all in presentation. It is viewable at the full 60 frames per second, features tastefully synchronous background music, a flashy high-energy Camera Mode/AR-produced introduction and even a live-action video sample from a feature film.

And then there's this.

Any hack can cut and glue footage together and put it to some music, but it takes time to put together the entire thing as a cinematic (for lack of a better word) production. The real problem is with viewer mentality. As I mentioned in another thread, it's as though everyone in this community is so hung up on technical skill that you're forgetting about the fact that this is the only game where you can capture footage of an ape in a necktie driving his foot into the chest of an elven child whilst riding a giant floating sea lion; that's a helluva story and you can bet that the National Enquirer doesn't care about DI.

That said, I don't want to sound as though I am belittling a technical combo video, but at the state of the game right now, if you're good enough to post a video that will actually impress people, there's just no excuse for it not to be at least decently-produced. There's a whole class of Smash video producers that I haven't mentioned up to this point who don't star in the videos themselves, but instead just compile footage from uploaded matches. If your gameplay is actually exciting and revolutionary enough to rock the socks off the community by simply posting a low-quality montage of black-and-white combos with static for background music, I'm sure there's someone in the community who would be willing to help clean it up a little. My true belief is that the technical combo video is a dead medium for SSBM, but I would not discourage anyone who thinks otherwise from making their own.

I got off on a bit of a tangent there, but getting back to your thread, compiling a list of all combo videos does give you some minor control of the aforementioned broken viewer mentality and if you want to overhaul it properly for the better of the community, these are my recommendations:

• Drop the "best of character" highlighting entirely.
  • Each video should have this information included:
    • Video Title
    • Who produced the video.
    • Who is featured in the video.
    • A link to the original thread (if applicable).
    • Link to streaming videos. (YouTube, Google, etc.) ((if applicable))
    • Link to video downloads. (FileFront, Rapidshare, etc.) ((if applicable))
  • Ensure that the list is formatted for easy viewing and navigation.

If you were extremely ambitious, you could include file size and brief summaries of the video and all that, too, however most combo videos don't really come with a lot of information. Nevertheless, I think the most important thing to include is at least the names of the players in the videos along with their titles, because that at least may give the viewer some idea of what they're going to be watching.

D

Deleted member

hey damon i didnt forget about that match i just wasnt holding it against you sorry for being off topic

Ares726

Smash Ace
Randall00: That was beautiful man. The wall of text is greatly appreciated. Intelligent posts are becoming a rare commodity and I very much enjoyed reading it.

I love these videos, I really do. I admire the people who spend time putting them together. I admire the players for showing mastery of a game they enjoy. I admire people that watch them to learn from them.

That's why when I see a bad video I really don't like it. I feel cheated because it's not as "good" as other videos that I've seen. I just seems like whoever made it slopped something together with no regard to the community at large. Just because anyone with a camcorder can make a video, doesn't mean they should. That's the main focus of this overhaul.

However, whenever I try to make everyone happy I don't get what I want out of it. It's just so...I don't know...stressful maybe? People say things like "Do this. Do that. Change this. Remove that.", and they are often at odds with each other. That's why I made the BoC Polls in the first place. It was an attempt to pacify people arguing about what videos were better than others. But I suppose I can just remove them and put everything back in alphabetical order, that's not too difficult.

I like your idea of putting the player names and the threads for the videos. Majoras16 brought up the point of having two links back in the infancy of the thread. Then I had no idea what sort of format to use for such a thing. However, I think I can come up with something now.

I've been looking through the videos form the entertainment, artistic, and technical perspectives so far and I haven't found anything so worthless that it has no redeeming qualities in any of the aforemetioned categories (granted I'm only through Dr. Mario). The only difficulty that has thusfar arisen is the difficulty of formatting. I don't really want people to have to scroll through a ton of stuff, but, now that I think about it, anybody can use CRTL+F (Windows) to find something.

That being said, I don't really have to worry about saving space because people can search. Randall00, I really appreciate you typing that out because it gives me the freedom to do whatever I want with the thread and have people like it or not. As I've already stated, trying to please everyone before was a bad idea.

I will continue weeding through the videos, and when I remove the ones that lack entertainment value, cause for artistic appreciation, and display of technical ability I will put them in the following format:

Bowser
Boozer Cute
Produced by: Gimpyfish
Starring: Gimpyfish
Thread: Boozer Cute!
Run Time: 00:09:59
Streaming: Google Video, YouTube
Downloadable: FileFront (41.81MB)
Director’s Cut: FileFront (48.14MB)
Comments:

Koopaclypse
Produced by: Maximilation Productions
Starring: Arash
Thread:
Run Time: 00:09:19
Streaming: Google Video
Downloadable:
Comments:

Questions, concerns, comments, and/or advice are always appreciated. Hopefully this thread can finally be set up to get some things done.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Spiffing!

I'm glad to see that you have the drive to put some effort into the presentation and you are most welcome for the post. I remember seeing this thread in its original form and I must admit, I didn't anticipate that it would last; I'm sure you're aware that you aren't first person to try this. :) But when you get right down to it, the easiest way to make a widely-accepted, long-lasting compilation video thread is to simply do it better than everyone else.

Oh, there's also this if you like doing things in list format, but maybe that's just me. ;)

Ares726

Smash Ace
Alright everybody, I woke up at about 8 o'clock this morning to go ahead and start the overhaul. Now I'm six hours in and I've finished Bowser, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario, and Falco.

What do y'all think of the format. Randall00, as always, thanks for the post. I'm glad to see that you like it. What about everyone else? If there's anything you think should be changed let me know now. This is going to be the easiest time to change the formate (because I haven't finished yet).

EDIT: I'm going to take a break for a little while and actually play this game all these videos are about. I'll try to get through the Ice Climbers by the end of the day. I'll try to get more done, but I will make sure to get through the Ice Climbers.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
While I appreciate the information, and truly respect the effort being made, I personally think it makes browsing for videos, especially the best of character videos, much more difficult.

Damon180

Smash Ace
you could make a whole mess of a database program just for these things :). cheers to html and it's diversity!
the work you're puttin in is admirable, but perhaps put a simpler list at the beginning linking to just the vids, then the details further down for those who are curious?

anyway,

Flightless: falco action vid stars Boyd
Hysteria: link action vid stars me
Flame of fury: roy action vid stars me and Boyd
Hollow blade: marth action vid stars Elkomosutro

all are downloadable at www.animemusicvideos.com

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
yeah, its kinda difficvulkt to find the oens u want...maybe the list first then the description...but the overhaul is beautiful though ares! u deserve a new sig!

Ares726

Smash Ace
Thanks Eps. That sig looks awesome.

You can press CRTL+F to pull up a search bar to find a video. For example, say I want to watch AlterEvil. I just press CRTL+F, type in "AlterEvil", and click "Next". Now let's say I've never watched a Samus video before and I want to watch one. I just press CRTL+F, type in "Samus", and click "Next".

I do see how it makes you put in a little more effort, but it really is better for the community in the long run and it saves me a ton of headaches. Now people can't complain about watching a noob video because they know who's in it before they even click on it.

The reason I didn't put a "Master List" at the top of the thread is that it just seemed really redundant to me. Listing all the videos and then telling all about each one just seems silly.

I'm glad to see y'all like it (for the most part) so far. I'll try to finish it before Christmas.

EDIT: TheKneeOfJustice, the Best of Character polls and designations are no more. Thus making it much harder to find them (they don't exist anymore).

MrHazuki

Smash Ace
I think it would be a great idea to have a AR part as well. I have some trouble myself finding them, and since this is the place for all the other movies, why not here as well.

Ares726

Smash Ace
Well, I went from Kirby to Sheik today *whew*. Hopefully I'll finish tomorrow. I've got 5 sections (31 videos) to go and I'll be done.

EDIT: Last call for any changes to the format.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Why does this thread keep getting better and better? Thanks Ares for all the work your doing!

Ares726

Smash Ace
YES I'M DONE WITH THE OVERHAUL!!!

Fantastic! At least I think so. Let me know what you think about it now that it's done. Also, a little +rep (if you like it) would be appreciated.

Anyway, I'll start updating with new videos after Christmas. I'm going to take a break from Smashboards for a day or two. I spent some 18 to 20 hours in the past three days working on this, so I'm burnt out.

Enjoy!
^that's an order^

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
NOYCE!
+rep ******
2 things though
What happened to the best video thing?
Also, for the find thing, put # or some other sign in front of the characters. Because if you type in Ness, you get taken to Nastyness, darkness, etc. Just say "To find the character you want, type in #(insert character here).

Top Bottom