• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cold Fingers...do they effect your gameplay?

Psi

Smash Cadet
Cold fingers definitely slow you down but at least you aren't sweating. That messes me up even more.

Gravity

Smash Ace
yeah, cold fingers suck, but it reminds me of this idea i had once:

the night before a tournament or something, leave your controller in the freezer, and then keep it in icebox when you arent using it...

im not sure if it would help or not, but it came from when i left my controller in my car and i liked how it felt cold...

wolfpacksteve

Smash Rookie
How much are you elbows bent whilst playing? Bent elbows make it harder for blood to circulate to your fingers, which could partially explain the cold sensation. Also, if you've ever been unfortunate enough to suffer a shoulder or arm injury, impinged nerves can cause loss of sensation in the hands. I speak from experience: my left rotator cuff suffered an 85% tear five years ago; I still lose most feeling in my hands when playing my DS due to bent elbows. When playing GC, I play in my recliner with my arms nearly straight and resting in my lap-- no numbness problems there!

Worth a try... if nothing else, it can't hurt.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I'm really calm when I play, and my hands are almost always cold. My hands don't sweat or heat up much when I play. I notice when I switch controllers with someone, it's way warmer than mine. Maybe that's a good thing...

But coming in from outside, that really affects my gameplay. Slows me down. I can actually john and say "my hands are cold" >_>

The Killer Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
I hate cold fingers. They get really numb and keep me from wavedashing, double-jump canceling and shffling. I also have dry skin so when my hands are cold, my skin cracks and makes my hands even more numb and it really messes me up.

Sick_ShEiK$$$

Smash Cadet
Yea they affect my gameplay..then i tell my freind and he says there excuses cause he beats me cause i got stiff fingers =[
i usally turn on the stove and put my hands over them untill they get warm
then i womp a$$ =]
but to answer the question...Having cold fingers=Bad gameplay (for most)

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I walk to and from campus each day. For the past couple of months it has been freezing and when I get back my fingers are pretty cold. Whenever I try to play right after I get home, my fingers aren't as fast and sometimes I'll overcompensate and press too hard.

So, in sum, yes they do affect your play.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I live in NE so idk its constantly cold so i really never notice, plus i'm usually wearing some sweet cut-off mittens, style and function= smash brilliance :p

Fruity

Smash Rookie
I like cold hands/fingers because I don't get sweaty palms like that >.> I get sweaty palms waaaay to fast and easy and sometimes I slip up and press the wrong button.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm actually writing an article for my website that should (hopefully) go up soon that has two segments, one about hardware care and one about hand care.

I'll skip past the hand stretching and massages and whatnot that loosens your hands and improves circulation.

But if your hands are cold, stick them under your armpits. Not on your shirt or hoodie, but right under your armpit. Then clamp down. Bending your leg with your hand behind your knee also does the trick, as can sometimes sitting on them.

Females have an extra warm place that can help them if they are particularly desperate.

If you can, go and wash your hands using hot water, and USE SOAP. Using soap will help you tremendously, both in keeping your controller healthy, your hands clean, and your hands will suddenly be more accurate than when they were covered with oil.

Trust me. :lick:

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
I hate cold hands >.<
They screw up my gameplay
I usually try to warm up but sometimes the hands have something against me and just stay cold >.>

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Cold fingers/hands aren't the greatest thing in the world...
Wonder why a warm-up is called a warm-up?
Try doing some jumping jacks (not in front of people, or you'll look like a dork and embaress yourself). Or rub your hands together, like you're in front of a fire (wash it after, because dirt will come off).

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
I don't really mind cold fingers. My hands are usually cold in the winter so I am used to playing with cold fingers, it doesn't really affect my gameplay at all. Once you get used to it, it's really easy. But warm fingers are always good too. :p

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Since I'm cold blooded, the winter weather doesn't effect my performance on Smash. Heck, I was born in blizzard for goodness sakes.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Holy crap. This happens to me all the time. What I do is rub my hands together to get warm and then exercise my fingers.

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
When you move a lot your blood warms up and whatever. I'm guessing the blood has something to do with your performance.

Necroramo

Smash Rookie
....Well,they affect mine.Everytime i come out from the cold then play smash,this happens:

-My fingers get stiff

-Can't execute SHFFLC effectivly

-feel numb

-hands dry up.

I hate it,and it really screws with my gameplay techniques.How does it affect you?
It affects everyone of course. I feel it a LOT when I come in from the cold, I can't type OR play SSBM well.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
lol.....dis is soooooooooooooooo true...me and my friends are always saying how we have to warm-up cuz we have cold hands...its so true...ur hands dont move as quickly and and they are more stiff as u said..my friend will even go so far as to wash hhis hands with some warm water to warm them up a bit...but our first couple matches of the day are always really bad since we both have cold hands.....peace

-hiroshi
nastiest cfl sheik

FireBomb

Smash Lord
This is why I hibernate when winter comes.

See like right now, my house is below 60 degrees and I'm not even bothering to warm up. My hands feel cold and are stiffing up, so I know that if I decide to play Melee right now I won't perform as well. Getting cold cause muscles to tighten, making it less comfortable to move around your hands as much, while warmth loosens your hand up, giving you easier and more preferable control. The sun is your friend.

vericz

Smash Champion
This is the worst, especially at tournaments. Usually what I do is run my hands under some warm or hot water then play a few matches. after the matches i rub my hands together and the after a few matches I'm all warmed up.

A-Laon

Smash Master
Hell, the cold is half of it for me. Room temperature still skrews me up. I need my hands to quite literally warm up before I can grasp my fullest potential.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
YES! Cold fingers affect everyone's gameplay, for they are much stiffer and react slower than warm fingers. Why do you think athletes "warm-up" before any activity? You need warmth to have effective blood circulation and better reaction.
i 100% agree. the games just look so sloppy

Bobby Emerald

Smash Apprentice
....Well,they affect mine.Everytime i come out from the cold then play smash,this happens:

-My fingers get stiff

-Can't execute SHFFLC effectivly

-feel numb

-hands dry up.

I hate it,and it really screws with my gameplay techniques.How does it affect you?
It does the exact same thing to me, my friend. In fact, it happened to me just today at my friend's house.

1o11oo1o11

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys agree when I say that food can also affect your gameplay? Because your body is like a car; without gas it won't run!

_umbra_

Smash Champion
... my hands get all numb and tingly whenever i'm at a smash tournament.

?

Nerves maybe? Dehydration? Is there a doctor in the house? lol... I can play peach alright like this, but you should see me try to play fox sometimes XD...

Edit: Food is always good, but don't eat too much. I know a certain someone who spends half of every tournament in the bathroom... lol.

Top Bottom