• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud's Voice

Should Cloud's voice be in English or Japanese?

• English

Votes: 96 45.7%
  • Japanese

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Either is fine

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Why is Cloud on my Smash?

Votes: 11 5.2%

• Total voters

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'm afraid this post shows your age.

In the real world out there there are indeed many adult circumstances that prevent toys to be made the way you wish them.
Companies like Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Capcom, Square Enix etc are not Santa Claus and won't make things happen just to please you at any cost.

They will only incur costs that they can earn back at the very least, while hopefully aiming for profits.
I'm far from whining or being upset. So I'd like it if you didn't try to talk down to me like I'm a child as I'm far from it. For any of us who prefer his English VA and want to hear Steve as Cloud, there's the remake to look forward to. That was the point of my post in the end despite unable to make an appearance in Smash with the circumstances and it was an opinion, just like you're entitled to yours about preferring his original VA. There's no need to make attacks at anyone's age followed by degrading analogies just because they don't share the same opinion as you.

*sigh* Not even going to bother anymore. Welcome to the ignore list. Good day.

Last edited:

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
I'm far from whining or being upset. So I'd like it if you didn't try to talk down to me like I'm a child as I'm far from it. For any of us who prefer his English VA and want to hear Steve as Cloud, there's the remake to look forward to. That was the point of my post in the end despite unable to make an appearance in Smash with the circumstances and it was an opinion, just like you're entitled to yours about preferring his original VA. There's no need to make attacks at anyone's age followed by degrading analogies just because they don't share the same opinion as you.
I'm sorry, but you can have your opinion.
What shows your age is the line: "Even with the whole 'union' thing as a common obstacle in the voice acting industry, I figured with as big of a deal Cloud being in Smash is, that there would be an exception of the sort for Steve to voice him for the English version since he's voiced him pretty much every other appearance."

Are you expecting a voice actor to break contracts with multiple organizations to voice 'cloud' for being a 'big deal'?
I'm afraid it's not how the world works kid.

Whether you want the English voice or not, that's fine, but that's just a weak argument.

"Just throw in Masterchief into smash, seeing as he's a big deal and all. Just ignore the copyright issues and the lawsuit: He's that important."

Ignoring laws, contracts and involvement with other parties for the sake of "it's an important video game (toy) character?"

I don't think so, buddy.

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
Yeah, sometimes your union or talent agency will even kick you out for going behind their back. The fact that Midgar has so few songs my point at some licensing hang-ups as well.
To be fair Midgar isn't the only stage with two songs in it: see Suzuku Castle.

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
To be fair Midgar isn't the only stage with two songs in it: see Suzuku Castle.
not true, at least they had multiple verions and even smash specific remixes of both themes.

Where is the advent children version of the songs on midgar?
dissidia versions?
how about smash remixes at least?

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
Variations don't count. It's not really any better than Midgar in that department.

Last edited:

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
Variations don't count. It's not really any better than Midgar in that department.
from a licensing point of view it does, because the new versions have their own ownership.
From a music point of view it also does, since the remixed versions usually emphasize other instruments and/or other parts of the song.

You can't say midgar music = suzaku castle music

either you don't appreciate the remixes or you think the originals form FFVII were so great they make up for suzaku having 3 versions of each song.

sounds a bit extreme I would say.

Kous

Smash Rookie
Sorry to butt in, but you seem to not have read Tempestsurge's post or know what the word "exception" means. Either way, your ignoring the content of his post.

I'm sorry, but you can have your opinion.
What shows your age is the line: "Even with the whole 'union' thing as a common obstacle in the voice acting industry, I figured with as big of a deal Cloud being in Smash is, that there would be an exception of the sort for Steve to voice him for the English version since he's voiced him pretty much every other appearance."

Are you expecting a voice actor to break contracts with multiple organizations to voice 'cloud' for being a 'big deal'?
I'm afraid it's not how the world works kid.
From the same quote you used of Tempest "I figured with as big of a deal Cloud being in Smash is, that there would be an exception of the sort for Steve to voice him for the English version".

Look at the wording. "An exception of the sort for Steve". In case your still confused, An exception for Steve not by Steve. Steve wouldn't be the one breaking the contract.

Whether you want the English voice or not, that's fine, but that's just a weak argument.
Kids like you probably wouldn't know this, but you won't violate a contact if the 2nd party you have a contact with allows you to do something. Now you nor I have enough information to know if Steve voice acting Cloud for Smash was a possibility or not. But the idea that Steve's VA organization would never or never considered letting him do Cloud's English VA for Smash is pure speculation because we don't know. So calling the argument weak is just ignorance.

"Just throw in Masterchief into smash, seeing as he's a big deal and all. Just ignore the copyright issues and the lawsuit: He's that important."

Ignoring laws, contracts and involvement with other parties for the sake of "it's an important video game (toy) character?"

I don't think so, buddy.
This might be a sign of your age (or ignorance) because if you were a veteran forum user, you would know what a false equivalence is. Comparing putting Masterchief into Smash without any rights =/= Steve Burton possibly getting permission to VA cloud. Nintendo got permission to use Cloud. So they did not violate copyrights or any laws. Which if Steve Burton had permission to VA Cloud, he wouldn't either. You my dear are the one with the weak argument in regards to your attempt at a straw man. Not to mention your patronizing tone that could only come from someone who is immature. Grow up a bit before calling others kids, it might save you from looking like a brat in the future. Your Welcome.

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883
from a licensing point of view it does, because the new versions have their own ownership.
From a music point of view it also does, since the remixed versions usually emphasize other instruments and/or other parts of the song.

You can't say midgar music = suzaku castle music

either you don't appreciate the remixes or you think the originals form FFVII were so great they make up for suzaku having 3 versions of each song.

sounds a bit extreme I would say.
Well in my case I can say it's neither. I do appreciate remixes on Suzaku Castle, but doesn't change the fact that it's pretty just two songs over and over again.

That said we do get Fanfare so I say it's decent compromise in terms FF music representation taking in everything overall. Not ideal, but it is something.

Last edited:

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to butt in, but you seem to not have read Tempestsurge's post or know what the word "exception" means. Either way, your ignoring the content of his post.

From the same quote you used of Tempest "I figured with as big of a deal Cloud being in Smash is, that there would be an exception of the sort for Steve to voice him for the English version".

Look at the wording. "An exception of the sort for Steve". In case your still confused, An exception for Steve not by Steve. Steve wouldn't be the one breaking the contract.

Kids like you probably wouldn't know this, but you won't violate a contact if the 2nd party you have a contact with allows you to do something. Now you nor I have enough information to know if Steve voice acting Cloud for Smash was a possibility or not. But the idea that Steve's VA organization would never or never considered letting him do Cloud's English VA for Smash is pure speculation because we don't know. So calling the argument weak is just ignorance.

This might be a sign of your age (or ignorance) because if you were a veteran forum user, you would know what a false equivalence is. Comparing putting Masterchief into Smash without any rights =/= Steve Burton possibly getting permission to VA cloud. Nintendo got permission to use Cloud. So they did not violate copyrights or any laws. Which if Steve Burton had permission to VA Cloud, he wouldn't either. You my dear are the one with the weak argument in regards to your attempt at a straw man. Not to mention your patronizing tone that could only come from someone who is immature. Grow up a bit before calling others kids, it might save you from looking like a brat in the future. Your Welcome.
The argument you made sadly hasn't become any stronger since we don't know the specifics of the contracts.
All we can see sitting here at home is how Ryu got two different voices and Cloud did not and the only difference between them so far is that one comes from square and the other does not.

We can jump up and down and you can accuse anyone of anything you would like, but being so naive to assume people will make an exception because of a video game character is hoping against immense odds.
It just shows that kids like you don't understand how the world works, sadly.

For all intents and purposes we simply don't know for sure why he wasn't voiced in both languages while other characters were. It's just that the thinking process of " but it's a famous video game character, so let's make an exception" usually doesn't fly with companies unless they have a close relationship. (Snake in Brawl vs Snake in Smash 4)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So all in all, a lot of peole would have liked Cloud's english voice, but at the end of the day, it's just a game and it's not worth it to think too much about what didn't end up as well as we wanted, not is worth it to call out on others' opinions.

This thread served as speculation, and now that it's out and it's like 99% sure it will remain like this, I might as well close it.
I will leave it for a while and see how it turns out. Remember kids, please play nice.
:196:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I like how vocal Takahiro Sakurai is as Cloud. I'm actually surprised with how much he gets into it as he attacks or gets sent flying.

Last edited:

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
What is the translation from Japanese to English with Cloud's taunt's and Limit Break voice line? I was looking all over for this. I think he says "Limits are meant to be broken when his Limit Meter is filled up." But not 100% sure.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I originally was less than happy when I heard that Burton wouldn't be voicing him in English, but I have to say, Sakurai does a VERY good Cloud. I'm not usually a big fan of Japanese voice acting (Atsushi Kisaichi and the Star Fox crew's seiyuu are the only ones I really care for), but Cloud is definitely the exception.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Honestly all we need to know is what Cloud is saying in his *** clips and this thread will fulfill its destiny.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Honestly, what l think we really needed is a switch to change ALL of the voices form English to Japanese. Seriously, some of the characters sound so much cooler in the Japanese version.

But about just Cloud? Eh, don't really mind either way. (of course, l don't even know what he sounds like in English, which hinders my ability to make an unbiased argument some)

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
What is the translation from Japanese to English with Cloud's taunt's and Limit Break voice line? I was looking all over for this. I think he says "Limits are meant to be broken when his Limit Meter is filled up." But not 100% sure.
Yeah, the "Genkai wo koeru. (限界 を 超える.)" quote is the same quote that Cloud said in his Super Smash Bros. 4 reveal trailer when he was using Limit Charge right before the Midgar stage unveiling, which was translated as "Limits are meant to be broken!" via the English subtitles (more info here).

---

:4cloud::4cloud2:
On an alternate note, someone managed to modify Super Smash Bros. 4 and gave Cloud some English voice clips! Apparently, the quotes are pulled from Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2008 - did Square Enix really have to give the 2015 installment the exact same name? Sheesh. And the subtitle before the series title isn't helping disambiguation matters.. >_>) and the Kingdom Hearts series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnCTnqXbic
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/45bl34/cloud_english_voice_for_smash_bros/

----

My remarks regarding the English sound clips used in the "Cloud with an English voice in Super Smash Bros. 4" proof-of-concept video:
(a reference to skim Cloud's Japanese quotes)
Well, that video was my first time of hearing Steve Burton's voicework for Cloud's English voice. :laugh: I have to say, it kind of seems like what I expected (a "hardened, mellow voice", so to say) and what I didn't expect (at least in terms of the delivery of some of the lines)..

Grunts: I liked most of the English grunts (although even the current Japanese grunts for Cloud in SSB4 are fine), although I feel that Cross Slash should sound more ferocious, as if Cloud is exerting quite the effort when using the attack. Granted, the proof-of-concept video utilization seems similar to the Japanese grunts that I heard for Cross Slash in Cloud's reveal trailer..

Limit Charge (once Limit Break has been achieved):
"Breaking my limits!" - Perfect use of this quote; I kind of feel like it is a more accurate translation of "Genkai wo koeru. (限界 を 超える.)" based on reading the Reddit comments that I linked to earlier.. In any case, I wouldn't mind if the hypothetical English voice implementation alternated/randomized between Cloud saying "Breaking my limits!" and "Limits are meant to be broken!"
"I need this power." - A great fit, especially since Cloud really does need the Limit Break boost in order to adequately recover, from what I've seen.. :laugh:
"This is true strength!" - Another great fit. And indeed it is, with all of the Limit-Break enhanced/augmented attacks serving as "true strength" and looking ferociously amazing, especially Cross Slash!

Finishing Touch:
"This...is it!" - Perfect fit...I mean, that should be it for the foe, since this attack seems to be mainly intended as a finishing move..!

Omnislash:
"This ends here!" - Perfect use to cap off a hard-fought stock/match and precede a powerful attack.
"No hard feelings." - While Super Smash Bros. 4 used this line as a Victory Pose quote, the proof-of-concept video utilizes it as a quote stated right after Omnislash concludes, which apparently matches how the quote was originally used in Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2008). Not sure which implementation I like better, although I think the Victory Pose implementation is fine; it's nice to know that there is actually an existent English equivalent sound clip.

Taunting:
"Not interested." - Utterly perfect; this was one of the English lines that I wanted to hear the most! Works great for Cloud's Up Taunt.
"Let's go." - I think this would work well for Cloud's On-Screen Appearance/entrance, or alteratively a good Wii Remote Selection Sound for Cloud (at least if those were still being used for Super Smash Bros. 4..)..
"I'm gonna win; don't you care?" - Admittedly, this was an odd quote to hear, for some reason.. :laugh: Like, why would Cloud care if the opponent cares that Cloud is going to win..? Just thrash the foe and be done with it. XD It reminds me of Ash's notorious Pokemon Puzzle League quote (and by extension, Mewtwo's mimicking of said quote).
"Is that the best you can do?" - Nicely evocative of actual taunting; the quote might work well as a randomized Down Taunt quote.
"Come on, gimme your best shot." - Nicely evocative of actual taunting; I don't think that it needs to be used, although the quote might work well as either a randomized Down Taunt quote or a Wii Remote Selection Sound.
"Hmph." - Perfect quote; the scoffing and implementation are exactly how I imagined them (similar to Ike's Down Taunt scoffing as he plants his sword into the ground, at least in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) for Cloud's Down Taunt.

Star Knockout (KO) Cry:
"How did this happen?" - :joyful: Ugh; this would have been fantastic to hear in-game! Yes, Cloud; I am wondering the same thing myself, what with that huge sword you have there! :confused::facepalm:

Victory:
"Come what may, I'm ready." - Astonishingly, I think that this quote goes really well with Cloud's "furious green slashing" Victory Pose, although I do like the "I'm out of your league." quote.. Maybe both quotes could be used somehow (randomization; when facing certain characters, etc.)!
"You're out of luck." - A good Victory Pose quote, probably suitable for the "Better luck next time." Victory Pose. Maybe both wordings could be used.
"You should've seen that one coming." - :laugh: Wow; this quote sounds so callous! It fits the animation of the "No hard feelings." Victory Pose nicely; I would love for both wordings to be used somehow.

Overall, I feel that the video is a nice representation of what could have been; hopefully Super Smash Bros. 5 rectifies the "rights/voice-actor union" issues for Cloud, if he is included on the roster.
And the video also manages to highlight the sad omission of Final Fantasy 7 music for the Midgar stage; that Bizarro Sephiroth battle theme is great for the stage aesthetics (although probably because it sounds similar to "Those Who Fight (Let the Battles Begin)!" and "Those Who Fight Further (Fight On!)" by virtue of the Final Fantasy 7 soundfont...?)!

Last edited:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Not really into the whole debate, just wanted to say that I love Cloud's UpB yell of "HUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP!", It's so energetic.
Also not 100% sure, but on Cross Slash I think Cloud shouts "KYO!" (y'know, the kanji) at the end of the move (both versions)
Happy with the voice actor!

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I will just say that if an English translation would've affected his scream when doing Finishing Touch, then I am in favor of Japanese voice forever.

Top Bottom