• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Strife Announced For Smash 4!

When the first Nintendo Direct was announced since the passing of Satoru Iwata Nintendo fans were excited. Then Sakurai himself retweeted the direct and the website movie list for Smash broke (something that has happened before other DLC videos released). Well Smash fans the hype was very real as we got a brand new character coming to Smash: Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7!

Also hinted in the video are Chocobo costumes for the Miis. In the Nintendo direct itself it was announced a special Smash broadcast would be taking place some time in Decemember 2015. Will this be a big broadcast about the Smash Ballot? Excited to see Cloud in Smash? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future news coverage!

Comments

Well, I didn't mind him, I just really wanted to see who the ballot winner was.
DON'T WORRY. THIS IS NOT THE BALLOT CHARACTER. :4cloud: IS NOT THE BALLOT CHARACTER. SO DON'T BE :salt:Y ABOUT IT.
Before Melee went into development, Sakurai had an "If There Was a Smash 2" poll in Japan to determine who would be most wanted for inclusion. While he did publish these results (again, only in Japan), not all so called "winners" were included. Some lesser characters who weren't even in the top five, like Princess Zelda, were.

He held a similar poll prior to Brawl's development and did not publish the results at all. It's not entirely clear which characters were included based on the results.

I highly doubt he will ever fully publish the results of the Smash Ballot beyond the knowledge that the characters included after Ryu were a result of popularity, a popularity partially influenced by the Ballot's earlier results, most likely.

It kind of bothers me that people keep talking about seeing the Ballot's results or the Ballot "winner" (singular), as if it's probable to expect it. I highly doubt Nintendo or Sakurai will publish the results, nor do I believe the too three or five are guaranteed inclusions. Cloud himself is only within the top 20 of most heavily requested characters for Smash DLC, lower than Kingdom Hearts' Sora and even Final Fantasy's Chocobo.

Last edited:
I'm very excited for Cloud and if you're upset about his inclusion I have a few things to say
A.) First and foremost, don't be a grump about it. This is a game, relax and have some fun
B.) He is definitely not the ballot character so no need to get upset about another character getting in, they still have a chance during the December Broadcast
C.) This is a fighting game, if for some reason you really hate him you get the chance to beat the ever living hell out of him.

The thing is Cloud was choosen over an NES classic square character like Black Mage in a Nintendo all stars games when Cloud hasn't done anything special in Nintendo history and FF7 was the game that made square stop making big final fantasy games on Nintendo console for like more than 5 years.
He was chosen over Black Mage because he's more popular. Like Nintendo would put in Black Mage as a third party character.

FF7 was supposed to be on the N64 before being moved to the Playstation due to the N64's lack of a disc drive, so it's not like it signals some kind of bitterness or resentment. Final Fantasy may have continued to lean towards PS platforms, but that doesn't mean it was completely alienated to Nintendo.

Cloud is perhaps the most popular character in the franchise, and it's not like we're getting anyone other than a legendary icon as a third party character; it was Cloud or nobody. Be happy he got in.

Last edited:
FOR ALL YOU BOZOS DISSIN CLOUD IN SMASH:

Cloud is the best thing that ever happened to Smash.

He has:

Appeared on a Nintendo console multiple times.

Immense popularity (more than Geno and Sora)

His series:

Has had multiple installments on a Nintendo console (more so than Super Mario RPG or Kingdom Hearts).

Is bigger and more popular (and by extension more relevant to Nintendo)
than Kingdom Hearts and Super Mario RPG.

If Final Fantasy were to get a rep in Smash, it'd be Cloud. That's a no-brainer. Just because you weren't expecting him doesn't make him a dumb inclusion. If anything, Sakurai was thinking of the fans when he added him, so you can't say this doesn't live up to what the Smash Ballot has promised to be.

Knock it off. Get over it.
If you don't mind me asking, what Nintendo games have Cloud appeared in? As far as I know about him, he's been a Playstation guy appearing in games like FFVII, Ehrgeiz, Kingdom Hearts, and Dissidia, which were all Playstation games.

The only Nintendo platforms that I've seen Cloud in were the minority of the Kingdom Hearts games; not entirely sure about that one, but someone please correct me on that.

I'm not hyped or salty about Cloud's inclusion, I'm just indifferent, but tbh, I found his confirmation to be rather hilarious. Indifferent, and hilarious at the same time.

The thing is Cloud was choosen over an NES classic square character like Black Mage in a Nintendo all stars games when Cloud hasn't done anything special in Nintendo history and FF7 was the game that made square stop making big final fantasy games on Nintendo console for like more than 5 years.

And about Geno he has different situation because he is not representing square history but rather Nintendo history wich means he would be listed with Mario rep rather than the 3rd party rep, Cloud was probably square choice and not Nintendo choice just like Snake who was choosen by Konami and not Nintendo.

And Sora is owned by Disney.
Nintendo/Sakurai clearly don't care about keeping the Smash Bros roster Nintendo-only. Nintendo and Sakurai can include any character they feel like if they think it'll make players happy or make them lots of money.

We can only guess why Cloud was included, but he's undeniably more recognizable than any other Square-Enix character.

Even if Disney owns Sora, I doubt Disney would say no to including him in Smash Bros. It'd be SE's job to handle development, and Disney would make a ton of money without having to do much. Disney doesn't really do anything with the KH brand without SE's involvement (case in point, as far as I know there's still no KH characters in Disney Infinity.) Legalities aside people associate the original characters from KH with Square.

Last edited:
whats amazing is that even after this annoucement, people are still talking about characters "not being in enough nintendo consoles" or "copyright issues" or any logical reason for why characters would be in smash.

this announcement destroys any logic or criteria made by smash's fan base. in other words, if cloud is in, any video game character is fair.

also, i kinda wish they announced cloud BEFORE the ballot closed so i wouldnt base the characters i voted for on the nintendo fanbase's "logic"

If you don't mind me asking, what Nintendo games have Cloud appeared in? As far as I know about him, he's been a Playstation guy appearing in games like FFVII, Ehrgeiz, Kingdom Hearts, and Dissidia, which were all Playstation games.

The only Nintendo platforms that I've seen Cloud in were the minority of the Kingdom Hearts games; not entirely sure about that one, but someone please correct me on that.

I'm not hyped or salty about Cloud's inclusion, I'm just indifferent, but tbh, I found his confirmation to be rather hilarious. Indifferent, and hilarious at the same time.
Let's get something straight.

Final Fantasy is a popular series and important to Nintendo's history.

As far as third party characters are concerned, only the most iconic characters in history are aloud in Smash.

Cloud is the most iconic character in the FF franchise.

Cloud has a place in Smash. Simple, isn't it?

Regardless of the fact that the character himself isn't very relevant to Nintendo, what he represents (Final Fantasy) has been needing a place in Smash for a long time. His inclusion is justified.

He was chosen over Black Mage because he's more popular. Like Nintendo would put in Black Mage as a third party character.

FF7 was supposed to be on the N64 before being moved to the Playstation due to the N64's lack of a disc drive, so it's not like it signals some kind of bitterness or resentment. Final Fantasy may have continued to lean towards PS platforms, but that doesn't mean it was completely alienated to Nintendo.

Cloud is perhaps the most popular character in the franchise, and it's not like we're getting anyone other than a legendary icon as a third party character; it was Cloud or nobody. Be happy he got in.
Just because he is the most popular final fantasy character doesn't mean he is always the best choice when it comes to Nintendo all star games I can easily compare how many games have Black Mage appeared in Nintendo console and how many Cloud did appear Nintendo console and you will see a huge difference even in terms of their Nintendo history also Black Mage has existed 10 years before Cloud does and that's mean Black Mage was a kind of character that classic Nintendo/square fans have grew up with in the old generation, a character from the first final fantasy game would have the best choice because this where the final fantasy franchise has begin and was the reasons why ff7 exist, we shouldn't go with the middle age of final fantasy game character before we start with beginning, having Cloud instead of Black Mage feels for me like having Zero instead of Megaman in my opinion.

As I said before, Cloud was probably square choice and not Nintendo choice.

Last edited:
This is great news and people getting salty over an extra character that they don't even need to buy makes me laugh.

Just because he is the most popular final fantasy character doesn't mean he is always the best choice when it comes to Nintendo all star games I can easily compare how many games have Black Mage appeared in Nintendo console and how many Cloud did appear Nintendo console and you will see a huge difference even in terms of their Nintendo history also Black Mage has existed 10 years before Cloud does and that's mean Black Mage was a kind of character that classic Nintendo/square fans have grew up with in the old generation, a character from the first final fantasy game would have the best choice because this where the final fantasy franchise has begin and was the reasons why ff7 exist, we shouldn't go with the middle age of final fantasy game character before we start with beginning, having Cloud instead of Black Mage feels for me like having Zero instead of Megaman in my opinion.

The phrase "Nintendo All-Stars" doesn't mean anything any more. All bets are off. Any one can be in Smash at this point.

More importantly, Black Mage? Are you kidding? It didn't even make the cut for Dissidia, which is the closest thing Final Fantasy has to Smash Bros.

Final Fantasy 1 is not iconic; Chocobos and Moogles hadn't even been introduced yet. Many gamers weren't even born yet when FF1 came out for NES, and all things considered it was a pretty bad game. The only way to remember that game fondly is through nostalgia goggles. FF games didn't start to get good until the SNES era.

It kind of bothers me that people keep talking about seeing the Ballot's results or the Ballot "winner" (singular), as if it's probable to expect it. I highly doubt Nintendo or Sakurai will publish the results, nor do I believe the too three or five are guaranteed inclusions. Cloud himself is only within the top 20 of most heavily requested characters for Smash DLC, lower than Kingdom Hearts' Sora and even Final Fantasy's Chocobo.
So what, they're never going to show the ballot winner? So what was the point of the ballot then? Cloud obviously wasn't the winner so they'll either say "this was the ballot winner", or we'll just know if it's Shovel Knight or something. There is no reason for them to hide who the winner was.

I don't think anyone's expecting three or five characters from the ballot. Obviously we're getting the winner, and if Sakurai is feeling generous, we will probably get the second place as well. Someone said this December update will be the last one. I think we'll get two more characters other than Cloud and that will be it.

My thoughts? At least he isn't a god damn veteran, and was not leaked either. I'm alright with this.

(so many salty people btw. It's hilarious XD. I haven't seen this much salt since Federation Force, wich I'm also okay with.)

Last edited:
Yes, we all need to accept now that this is no longer "Nintendo's All-Stars" and anyone can fight now. This Cloud inclusion is so revolutionary. I can't lie though, I honestly felt no emotion when he was revealed (other than the fact that I thought it was going to be a crossover game between FF and Smash [kind of like Kingdom Hearts], before they showed him). At least the characters who weren't leaked (Mewtwo and Lucas); I lost my **** when they were revealed.

I would've rather seen Black Mage; more history with Nintendo, plus he dunked over Waluigi.

Last edited:
Yes, we all need to accept now that this is no longer "Nintendo's All-Stars" and anyone can fight now. This Cloud inclusion is so revolutionary. I can't lie though, I honestly felt no emotion when he was revealed (other than the fact that I thought it was going to be a crossover game between FF and Smash [kind of like Kingdom Hearts], before they showed him). At least the characters who weren't leaked (Mewtwo and Lucas); I lost my **** when they were revealed.

I would've rather seen Black Mage; more history with Nintendo, plus he dunked over Waluigi.
Black Mage would've been cooler imo. But now that anyone can fight I'm gonna wait for blue silhouette guy in the beginning of Wii games to come through.

So what, they're never going to show the ballot winner? So what was the point of the ballot then? Cloud obviously wasn't the winner so they'll either say "this was the ballot winner", or we'll just know if it's Shovel Knight or something. There is no reason for them to hide who the winner was.

I don't think anyone's expecting three or five characters from the ballot. Obviously we're getting the winner, and if Sakurai is feeling generous, we will probably get the second place as well. Someone said this December update will be the last one. I think we'll get two more characters other than Cloud and that will be it.
The purpose of the Smash Ballot, like with all previous Smash polls, is for Masahiro Sakurai and his developement team to get a good idea of which characters people would be happiest to see. The results are then used to help choose which characters to consider, and if they have the crudentials of being either iconic or original, they are likely to appear as fighters. The reason why they wouldn't reveal who got the most votes is because it doesn't matter. As aforementioned, the character with the most votes doesn't automatically get in. Ridley is an excellent example, as he has always ranked pretty highly in unofficial Smash polls. If he was to get an overwhelming amount of votes, he still would not be included because Sakurai cannot accurately concieve of how he would function as a fighter. Ridley's size, wingspan, and reliance on aerial mobility is what's keeping him from being playable, no matter how many "votes" he gets.

In knowing this, the Ballot results - say, which ten characters got the most votes - are only of value to Sakuri. They are meaningless to the fans and simply divide the fan base further with ridicule over certain highly requested characters. The results are merely a reference, not the determining factor. Having the Ballot results and realizing the #1 most highly requested character did not get in, but the 7th did doesn't help anyone. In fact, it further acts against the chosen DLC fighter because people are likely to say, "this is bull sh*t! He / she didn't get the most votes! They don't deserve it!"

Also, you should know that we are absolutely getting a miminum of three more DLC fighters, including Cloud Strife. Datamining the recently updated Smash 3DS' interface finds three unused character slots added to the game. Before the update, there were only two unused slots. The last time there were unused character slots updated into the game's interface, there were four. These slots ended up being designated for Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu. This clarifies that the unused slots of the game are intentionally placed there and are not the remnants of potentially cut characters.

It's important to know that Masahiro Sakurai has complete control over the characters included in Super Smash Bros. and is not limited by the other companies involved. For example, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U were developed by Bandai Namco and their mascot Pac-Man is in the game. However, Pac-Man's inclusion wasn't a result of Namco's involvement. Sakurai wanted to include Pac-Man from the start. In fact, Sakurai stated that if Namco required him to use the modern, white-eyed design, Pac-Man would've been cut. That's it. He's that artisan.

In addition to that, when the YouTuber Jwittz asked Nintendo representatives how / why Cloud was included in Smash, they simply said "Sakurai magic". While it was a lighthearted comment, there's probably some truth in that. If there were additional collaborations with Square Enix and Nintendo, don't you think they would specify at least a little?

The reason why Cloud Strife was included over any other character is because he is an icon of the video game industry, like all the other third-party characters included in the game. In 2010, The Guinness Book of World Records ranked Cloud as the FIFTH most popular video game character of all time. Having an iconic status is important for at least two reasons. 1.) this is DLC. You want this paid content to appeal to as many people as possible. As an icon, Cloud has immediate appeal to many people. Gamers who have never played a Final Fantasy game know who Cloud Strife is. Black Mage is more centralized towards fans of the older Final Fantasy games, which is less broad of an audience. 2.) there is more appeal in including Cloud Strife as a fighter because he has personality and depth. This is something both Chocobo and Black Mage lack.

If Cloud is in Smash Bros., it is because Sakurai sought out Square Enix for permission to use him, rather than Square dictating that he must be in the game.

Last edited:

When did Sakurai ever say the character with more appearances on a Nintendo console was the prime choice? Don't act like it's a given. Far too often are the arguments in the community based on groundless assumptions like these.

Let me tell you what Sakurai did say: in order for third party characters to make an appearance in Smash, they have to have some kind of legendary status. I do recall him saying that the character needs to have had a history with Nintendo, but as far as I can remember, he didn't say anywhere that the character with more history was the more eligible.

So it all comes down to this: Cloud is an extremely iconic character, even outside the FF fanbase, and Black Mage is not. Black Mage may be popular, but clearly Sakurai thinks that he falls short of the requirements. Cloud is much more recognizable outside the FF fanbase. He fits the "legendary status" requirement. Black Mage does not. Maybe if Final Fantasy gets multiple characters in Smash someday, Black Mage will get in; in fact, I think if third party games were aloud to have more than one rep, it's sure to happen. But even in the realm of characters owned by Nintendo, characters with more relevance to Nintendo like Duck Hunt and R.O.B. are generally overshadowed by the more iconic characters like Marth or Pit, characters who arguably did less for Nintendo than the former. This should be no surprise.

You're right when you say Black Mage has more relevance to Nintendo, but as you can see, that means nothing in the long-run. Disagree? Tell that to Sakurai.

Last edited:
Having the Ballot results and realizing the #1 most highly requested character did not get in, but the 7th did doesn't help anyone. In fact, it further acts against the chosen DLC fighter because people are likely to say, "this is bull sh*t! He / she didn't get the most votes! They don't deserve it!"
Okay, this is a good point but all I'm saying is they don't even have to name what number they were. Couldn't they just be like "this is the ballot character"?

Okay, this is a good point but all I'm saying is they don't even have to name what number they were. Couldn't they just be like "this is the ballot character"?
That's true, and I think it's possible for them to do that, but not flat out provide the results. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reference the Ballot at all during the December Smash Boardcast. Not because it's irrelevant - it's very relevant - but because Sakurai has already stated after Ryu's release that all future DLC fighters will be included as "fan service". There's sort of this implication that whoever remains as DLC was included solely to appeal to the fans. That's certainly true with Cloud's inclusion, even if it wasn't influenced by the Ballot. He is an icon afterall, and there's a reason why he has been present on fake rosters over the past few years.

To be honest, I highly doubt they waited until the Ballot's conclusion in October to work on the additional characters anyways. Fighters take months to make. I think it's more likely that they were reviewing Ballot submissions before it was over, and started developing characters during the summer. That would also explain why they decided to includ some Mii Fighter costumes of more popular, highly requested Ballot candidates like King K. Rool, Toad, and Chrom. Why would they do so unless they were aware of their potential appeal?

To be honest, I highly doubt they waited until the Ballot's conclusion in October to work on the additional characters anyways. Fighters take months to make. I think it's more likely that they were reviewing Ballot submissions before it was over, and started developing characters during the summer. That would also explain why they decided to includ some Mii Fighter costumes of more popular, highly requested Ballot candidates like King K. Rool, Toad, and Chrom. Why would they do so unless they were aware of their potential appeal?
You're right. It makes one wonder why they even kept it open as long as they did though.

I'm glad that some people are stating the fact that Cloud is a iconic video game character. What is the one consistency among 3rd-party characters so far?

Lets see.....sonic a iconic,famous,video game character...mega man a iconic,famous,video game character...Ryu a iconic,famous video game character...pac-man a iconic,famous video game character...

I don't know about you but I see a very clear category that every 3rd-party character introduced so far falls into. Now Cloud is definitely a iconic,famous,video game character. He is the most iconic character of square enix,and the final fantasy series (one of the biggest video game franchises of all time btw)

I get people not liking his inclusion,it is a fact that he hasn't really appeared in a Nintendo game(besides small appearances) but it does make sense why he would be chosen over someone like black mage(who I would've LOVED) or any other ff character. My point is when you consider the apparent criteria so far for 3rd-party characters,Cloud being in the game makes SOME sense.

Also right when he was revealed I imagined that one person out there,somehow somewhere,who had been pushing for Cloud to be in the game since even before brawl. I imagined the tear of happiness,joy and thankfullness as it rolled down their face,happy their dream smash character came true. It put a smile one my heart.

You're right. It makes one wonder why they even kept it open as long as they did though.
I don't really know why either... it could be as basic a reason as to keep character hype alive for Smash all through the summer and fall, without the release of an actual character.

There's also the benefit of carrying over the results of the Ballot for designing the next Smash Bros. For example, Wario was the third most highly requested Mario character on the "If There Was A Smash 2" poll. Sakurai openly expressed interest in including him if he had more time to develope Melee. While he didn't make the cut, he was included as a prominent newcomer in Brawl.
Lets see.....sonic a iconic,famous,video game character...mega man a iconic,famous,video game character...Ryu a iconic,famous video game character...pac-man a iconic,famous video game character...

I don't know about you but I see a very clear category that every 3rd-party character introduced so far falls into. Now Cloud is definitely a iconic,famous,video game character. He is the most iconic character of square enix,and the final fantasy series (one of the biggest video game franchises of all time btw)

I get people not liking his inclusion,it is a fact that he hasn't really appeared in a Nintendo game(besides small appearances) but it does make sense why he would be chosen over someone like black mage(who I would've LOVED) or any other ff character. My point is when you consider the apparent criteria so far for 3rd-party characters,Cloud being in the game makes SOME sense.

Also right when he was revealed I imagined that one person out there,somehow somewhere,who had been pushing for Cloud to be in the game since even before brawl. I imagined the tear of happiness,joy and thankfullness as it rolled down their face,happy their dream smash character came true. It put a smile one my heart.
There certainly is a nice, consistent pattern. It'd be a pity if somebody was to come in and break it.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, the ballot is ammo for ANY video game character to get into smash.

im hoping cloud isn't part of the ballot though. that way theres more characters for us to play with in the future!
im the type of guy who doesn't care if characters I hate get into smash (duck hunt >.>), I'll still pick them up and kick some butt.

its like getting a black belt in a different type of marshal arts.

i'll be damned if I don't master every character that exists!
congrats to all the Cloud supporters out there!

My theory is that since cloud was the third place in the ballot. Think about it for a second.We knew even before Cloud's arrival that three new DLC characters were coming. Cloud might only be third place coming behind two other characters. Could it be Isaac? Wolf? King K. Rool? Banjo-Kazooie? We don't know yet but what we do know is Sakuri does what he wants when he wants and how he wants to do with his game. This magical red tape that this community has adopted into their minds has just been cut because of
Are you kidding me? Another anime swordsman, AND with a super uninspired moveset to boot to the point of recycling Ike's final smash wholesale? Couldn't they give him a more unique moveset??
*Drops microphone*

*Walks away*

I am not impressed.
1: Another generic swordman
2: Only been in ONE game as far as I recall from his franchise.... Yeah.

I REALLY would have rather taken Slime. :/
I don't get the swordsman complaints. Why does every character need to use their fists? No one said "****! Marth is so generic!" Other than direct clones, characters that use swords rarely feel even similar to one another. You expect me to believe Ike = Meta Knight = marth = Shulk? Get over yourself

I don't get the swordsman complaints. Why does every character need to use their fists? No one said "****! Marth is so generic!" Other than direct clones, characters that use swords rarely feel even similar to one another. You expect me to believe Ike = Meta Knight = marth = Shulk? Get over yourself
It's SMASH brothers, I'd rather have PLATFORMER characters like most of the cast.

This isn't Soul Calibur.

I wouldn't even mind had not Roy and Lucina were shoveled in. ((And now this generic RPG protagonist))

Couldn't we get Rocket Slime instead?

It's SMASH brothers, I'd rather have PLATFORMER characters like most of the cast.

This isn't Soul Calibur.

I wouldn't even mind had not Roy and Lucina were shoveled in. ((And now this generic RPG protagonist))

Generic RPG protagonist? I get if you're not a big RPG player but Cloud is hardly generic. More like he is responsible for reinventing the genre of RPGs and that's why people love him so much.

Saying Cloud is a generic character is like saying Seinfeld is a generic sitcom, DOOM is a generic shooter, Mario is a generic platformer, or that Super Man is a generic super hero.

Still believe that Cloud was decided as a result of the ballot. Could be more, but my bet is that there's not going to be an expected newcomer such as K. Rool.

Saying Cloud is a generic character is like saying Seinfeld is a generic sitcom, DOOM is a generic shooter, Mario is a generic platformer, or that Super Man is a generic super hero.

Still believe that Cloud was decided as a result of the ballot. Could be more, but my bet is that there's not going to be an expected newcomer such as K. Rool.
He's been done for well well WELL over a month. The ballot ended last month. This trailer probably took a week to make. The stage + cloud (which both look done) both had to have taken at least 4 months. (I'll give you that they both might have been worked on at the same time)

He's been done for well well WELL over a month. The ballot ended last month. This trailer probably took a week to make. The stage + cloud (which both look done) both had to have taken at least 4 months. (I'll give you that they both might have been worked on at the same time)
So? The ballot's been around for like eight months. If they started right after they released Ryu and company that'd be plenty of time to make Cloud and his stage, along with whoever else we're getting next month.

Nintendo/Sakurai clearly don't care about keeping the Smash Bros roster Nintendo-only. Nintendo and Sakurai can include any character they feel like if they think it'll make players happy or make them lots of money.

We can only guess why Cloud was included, but he's undeniably more recognizable than any other Square-Enix character.

Even if Disney owns Sora, I doubt Disney would say no to including him in Smash Bros. It'd be SE's job to handle development, and Disney would make a ton of money without having to do much. Disney doesn't really do anything with the KH brand without SE's involvement (case in point, as far as I know there's still no KH characters in Disney Infinity.) Legalities aside people associate the original characters from KH with Square.
The only way Sora even touches Smash Bros right now is the day Nintendo finally allows Disney to use Mario for Disney Infinity which would be a fair deal (Disney has admitted well before 3.0's release that they want Mario to join Infinity's series as a guest character in the same way Skylanders got both Donkey Kong and Bowser for their most recent game, alongside Link and Pikachu), but knowing Disney they'd probably would let Mickey join the Smash Bros roster in return for Mario's services which is something I can see Nintendo agreeing with as it'd be 2 icons trading spots between 2 very popular games (plus Mickey meeting Pikachu alongside Mario, Sonic and Pac-man would be amazing to see in-game).

Then all of Disney's current Infinity figurines becomes compatible with Smash Bros as extra trophies or even as skins for your system, having all of them playable would cause legal issues with Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilms and would be far too many characters to handle and let alone balance (along with the fact 4 of out the many characters from Infinity can't even fight as they're not human).

This isn't Soul Calibur.

Huh. Is smashing associated with platformers? Interesting.

In all seriousness, I understand where you're coming from, but I also feel your opinion is biased to your personal tastes. There's nothing wrong with that, but I feel like it can hinder one from understanding why something was done.

All the sword fighters in the game - Link, Marth, Roy, Meta Knight, Ike, Toon Link, Mii Swordfighter, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Cloud - were added not because they use swords, but because they have unique characteristics (or at least in Sakurai's eyes) and represent something new, be it a mechanic, franchise, or both. Smash Bros. is really a celebration of gaming before anything else, and the roster reflects that regardless of whether they fight with fists or swords.

Lucina was really only included as a bonus when the rest of the roster was complete, like with Dr. Mario and Dark Pit. She was originally going to be an alternate swap for Marth.

Roy was added due to popular demand and represents the lost generation of Melee, similar to how Lucas represents Brawl as DLC. In addition to his association with Melee, Roy has some reasonably unique mechanics with his strength being placed in the hilt of the blade. Having him not be a clone of Marth is also nice, in my opinion. But I digress.

I've been talking about this subject for much too long. In case you want to learn any more information, I encourage you to check out SourceGaming. The good people of this site analyze the history and developement of every Smash Bros. titles as well as investigate Sakurai's creative mind. The post at least one original article per day and have the occassional podcast. I highly encourage it! In the meantime, here are some recent article links about Masahiro Sakurai and Cloud Strife that may interest some of you.

The Future of Smash is Characters

5 Reasons Cloud got into Smash

Sakurai is an Artist, Not a Buisnessman

I might be wrong, but i recall way back before smash4 was released, that Sakurai was going to work in collaboration with square enix, namco bandai, and capcom. E.g. Namco Bandai gave us pac-man, Capcom gave us Ryu and Megaman, and now Square enix gave us Cloud. So I'm assuming the next characters coming out in december will be from the ballot.

I am not impressed.
1: Another generic swordman
2: Only been in ONE game as far as I recall from his franchise.... Yeah.

I REALLY would have rather taken Slime. :/
1. That's just your opinion. Blade Beam and a Mega Man-like slide means you can't just harass him with projectiles like Marth, Roy, Ike, or Shulk. He has no counter. The Limit Break mechanic is specific to him and will probably make him more similar to Little Mac than Shulk. Appearance-wise, he's popularized the stereotypical RPG look.

2. Cloud's been playable in FFVII, Ergheiz, Final Fantasy Tactics and two Dissidia games. He also appears in Kingdom Hearts 1, Chain of Memories, 2, Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy Teathrhythm and possibly some others (don't know if he has cameos in FFVII Crisis Core or Before the Crisis). There'e a Final Fantasy VII sequel movie in which he's the protagonist.

Off the top of my head:
- R.O.B. has two games
- ZSS has two
- Pikmin had two when they got in (now three)
- Marth has two not counting remakes
- Roy has two
- Ike has two
- Pit, Pittwo and Palutena have two
- Rosalina has two
- Sheik had one (now three if you count Hyrule Warriors)
- Lucina has one
- Robin has one
- Duck Hunt has one
- Shulk has one
- Ness has one
- Lucas has one
- Ice Climbers have one
- Game and Watch may not have been on any video games depending on your definition and whether remakes of his electronic games on e.g. the Game Boy Camera count.

If you don't like Cloud just come out and say it.

Last edited:
Something I noticed about the part of the trailer that showed the Midgar stage that I haven't seen anyone else talk about is that you can see the red Summon Materia float onto the stage and then when Cloud does his Taunt you can see that he's glowing red as the Summon starts up, and then as it shows each Summon you can see for a second in each clip that Cloud is glowing red. What this seems to say is that the Materia shows up like a Smash Ball and whoever breaks or collects it will get to have the summon on his or her side, sort of like a Smash Ball mixed with an assist trophy. So what i'm saying here is that if that Materia doesn't show up if you have items off or if it's just generally avoided then Midgar could totally be legal.

Something I noticed about the part of the trailer that showed the Midgar stage that I haven't seen anyone else talk about is that you can see the red Summon Materia float onto the stage and then when Cloud does his Taunt you can see that he's glowing red as the Summon starts up, and then as it shows each Summon you can see for a second in each clip that Cloud is glowing red. What this seems to say is that the Materia shows up like a Smash Ball and whoever breaks or collects it will get to have the summon on his or her side, sort of like a Smash Ball mixed with an assist trophy. So what i'm saying here is that if that Materia doesn't show up if you have items off or if it's just generally avoided then Midgar could totally be legal.
Even if that was the case, it's still just another Battlefield. We don't need more of those.

Top Bottom