• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

close it

Status
Not open for further replies.

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
Why should it? Someone who doesn't want to drink, doesn't want to smoke and doesn't want to do drugs... those people are far more common. Things that might make it hard are social influences like close friends who enjoy drinking or also complete strangers in some cases. But for some people, it's just easy to say "no". Still, that does not ensure they want to take part in being straight edge, it just gives this feel of labeling that some don't like. I don't like it either to be honest.
i dont think it is i am 21 and havent done a thing ever but when people are trying to make excuses why u shouldnt have to be straight edge then i think to myself they are too weak to actually make the promise.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Crystallion, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. The application of a label to oneself in order to adopt a "holier than thou" stance or more "enlightened" stance is one problem with scenes like this. I like lots of the ideas of being straight edge (and even though I do drink quite often, there are times when I'll swear it off completely for months at a time), but the stance of many people within the scene, as exemplified by
Optimus Chad said:
straight edge is just to[sic] big of a promise for most people to keep
leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But that harsh attitude towards outsiders is common across many scenes. For example, I love rock climbing. It's by far my favorite sport to partake in when snow is absent, and I typically climb 4 or 5 days a week. However, the scene is so inward thinking and caustic to outsiders that I absolutely hate other climbers sometimes. Many climbers feel the need to differentiate themselves from outsiders by presenting themselves as somehow better. But to me that seems like needless posturing. Yet it doesn't diminish how much I enjoy climbing, and how much it adds to my life.

Similarly, the straight edge scene can be very caustic to outsiders. The desire of some straight edgers to lord the fact that they are completely drug free over the heads of people that aren't is pretty useless.

So I pose this question to members of the straight edge scene:
optimus chad said:
who are you to matter to me or anyone else who is [not] straight edge?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
but when people are trying to make excuses why u shouldnt have to be straight edge then i think to myself they are too weak to actually make the promise.
Limp. Thanks for ignoring all my points.

Morality is entirely relative, but a commonly accepted ground is doing good for others, or at the very least doing them no harm.

Maybe I don't give a **** about your promise, same as I don't give a **** about Christian ethics. I'm not too weak to make the promise. I went down both roads. But you know what? I hated them. When I have such a high chance of being obliterated by an elderly or inexperienced driver on a daily basis it honestly makes things that COULD kill you IF you use them in absurd excess look small and irrelevant.

Your holier than thou stance is just based on your own subjective opinions, so I'm gonna go ahead and bend over, and you can kiss it any time you want. That's what you're telling me to do, after all.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
what is wrong with labels?
Labels sometimes can be harmful
Why even ask? More often that not, labels divide people. Ever been to school? That is a serious question, reading your posts.
Is it so bad I want to be able to relate to the few people out there that are straight edge?
How cute. I never really said it was bad, though.
When 80% of the world isn't straight edge I would say I enjoy the label.
...what? That's really stupid.

Haha, I'm just playing. In fact, I feel cool because I like to **** dogs, and 99% (while we're pulling statistics out of our ass) of the world doesn't do that.

i dont think it is i am 21 and havent done a thing ever but when people are trying to make excuses why u shouldnt have to be straight edge then i think to myself they are too weak to actually make the promise.
No, they just enjoy it. Stop assuming things.

Actually, just stop altogether.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
Rarely drink (only wine on special occasions, never had beer), never done drugs, and never smoked. Does that make me a straight edge?

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I'm straightedge in that I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. However, I'm not against those that do. It just isn't my thing.
As far as being adverse to homosexuality goes, I can't really do that because two of the four letters in LGBT apply to me. When all's said and done, yes, I consider myself straightedge, but I am in no way straight.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, you are taking a title WAY too seriously. I rarely drink, I never smoke, and I don't do drugs simply because I choose not to. It's stuff I do not want to do, but after meeting actual straight-edge people, they come off as quite pompous *******s. In fact, my friend who is deeply religious doesn't even swear for religious beliefs, but he never brags about it.

So, in short, you are more self-righteous than the religious.

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
oh my God. All i wanted to do in this topic is find others who are straight edge and play brawl. I didnt want to hear everyones take on the subject. i didnt want to hear people's drinking habbits. I didnt want to hear people's problems with labels. All i wanted to know is if there are any straight edge smash players and of course I get a **** load of *****ing instead. People dont like kids who are straight edge because they think its a scene because a few trendy kids in America ruined what I hold true. I dont drink, I dont smoke and I dont do drugs. Why? because it feels wrong to me. Thats the only reason. None of my friends are straight edge. My best friend isnt even straight edge. I never said I was better than anyone else. I never had a holier than thou attitude. Its just everyone is hostile towards straight edge because of the stereo type they have come to know. I didnt come on here pissing on people for drinking or calling them silly so dont call what I believe to be true silly. I didnt come on this board to falunt that i am straight edge. I just saw topics like Jew smashers and gay smashers and thought it would be cool to find others like me. Thats it. So save your thoughts and negative opinions about straight edge and give them to some one who is in your face about it and some one who does falunt and some one who tries to make you feel bad about what you do cuz that person isnt me. So lets just end it here. I didnt join this boards to get attacked or have some people try to define something they didnt like. I joined these boards to make friends and if i found a few straight edge ones along the way awesome. But dont attack me because you are making harsh short judgements about me and people who are straight edge. Its something postive. Its a postive label that gives kids strength to say no to bad things in life. there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Riiiight, so typing less than someone that can obliterate you with arguments instead of cowering behind self imposed "good" labels shows a bigger brain.

I think you believe your whole purpose in life is to brag and feel superior than others (the neediest way of acting I can think of right now), people that aren't staight edge aren't worthy to be around you? are they really "weak" as you say?.

I personally only drink beer every once in a while, just because it feels great when eating meat.

Enjoy your fear of "weakness".

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Only ******s go to hell, we only lock them up in our jails, they always try to **** white woman, ba doop doop doop.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
:laugh:

the smaller the response the smaller the brain

:laugh:
What's that your Holiness? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your knuckles dragging on the floor.

(See, I can do that too)

"I didn't want to hear other people's opinions, I just wanted to shove mine down your throat -- I'm better than you."

cF=)

Smash Lord
the smaller the response the smaller the brain
:urg:

For a 21 years old, you sure do avoid the question when its given to you. If blind cockyness drives your intentions on this board, so be it. The topic you made is perhaps as bad as asking for scientologist smashers and defending that position with one liners. It only expresses your lack of motives when it comes down to why you're straight edge.

Enjoy your elitist crowd, anti-hedonist freak.

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
Riiiight, so typing less than someone that can obliterate you with arguments instead of cowering behind self imposed "good" labels shows a bigger brain.

I think you believe your whole purpose in life is to brag and feel superior than others (the neediest way of acting I can think of right now), people that aren't staight edge aren't worthy to be around you? are they really "weak" as you say?.

I personally only drink beer every once in a while, just because it feels great when eating meat.

Enjoy your fear of "weakness".
how am i bragging for **** shake? did you read anything I wrote? nope.....Do yourself a favor read a whole post before you start talking out of your ***. God **** this is so stupid. I mention I am straight edge looking for other straight edge gamers and all I find are angry people who dont like straight edge kids. I never said I was better than anyone or even hinted towards that. And a fear of weakness? How am I afriad of weakness cuz I wont drink? I dont need to be shot in the foot to know its gonna hurt. Drinking, Doing Drugs and Smoking it's all wrong to me. It's not for me at all. Can you people deal with that? I guess not. Same **** diffrent day with people about straight edge. I have heard it all you are no diffrent. Talk **** about me , tell me how I am self righteous when all I was looking for on here were other straight edge gamers. I didnt say I was better than anyone on here once....so deal

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
:urg:

For a 21 years old, you sure do avoid the question when its given to you. If blind cockyness drives your intentions on this board, so be it. The topic you made is perhaps as bad as asking for scientologist smashers and defending that position with one liners expressing your lack of motives when it comes down to why you're straight edge.

Enjoy your elitist crowd, anti-hedonist freak.
I am straight edge you *** hole because I feel drinking and doing drugs and smoking is wrong and embrassing for anyone in my family or friends to see me do. Instead of spending hours on the video games or behind my computer I spend 3 hours a day 7 days a week in the gym. I wrestle. I have for 2 years. And any real athlete knows who works that hard doesn;t want to put **** in their bodies. i work to hard and wrestling is too much of my life to spend doing crappy things to my body that kills brain cells, slows down my metablosim and ads extra calaroies to my body. If that a good enough reason for you? My friends, my family, my career as an athlete and my own personal belifes. Why is this such an issue with you and everyone else? I am not on you for doing what you do so why be all over me? hows is it being cocky looking for straight edge gamers? Its not.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I never said I was better than anyone or even hinted towards that. And a fear of weakness? How am I afriad of weakness cuz I wont drink? I dont need to be shot in the foot to know its gonna hurt.
when people are trying to make excuses why u shouldnt have to be straight edge then i think to myself they are too weak to actually make the promise.
It's fine that you have no interest in drinking or smoking, but thinking less of others because they choose to is horrible.

Stop thinking aloud.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Instead of spending hours on the video games or behind my computer I spend 3 hours a day 7 days a week in the gym.
Hence why you seek for straight edge gamers, because you don't spend time playing games that suck so much.

I wrestle. I have for 2 years. And any real athlete knows who works that hard doesn;t want to put **** in their bodies.
And where did you took this? I know athletes who smoke cigarettes, I know athletes who drink, and I surely know athletes that give good reasons when asked about their opinions.

i work to hard and wrestling is too much of my life to spend doing crappy things to my body that kills brain cells, slows down my metablosim and ads extra calaroies to my body.
Bring the paramedics someone, this guy's on a delirium of false arguments!

If that a good enough reason for you?
If by asking me this you're saying "did you had enough bull**** to feed your thursday night", I'd answer no.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
I don't do drugs, I have nothing against casual drug use. I just don't do it. I drink however

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
Hence why you seek for straight edge gamers, because you don't spend time playing games that suck so much.

And where did you took this? I know athletes who smoke cigarettes, I know athletes who drink, and I surely know athletes that give good reasons when asked about their opinions.

Bring the paramedics someone, this guy's on a delirium of false arguments!

If by asking me this you're saying "did you had enough bull**** to feed your thursday night", I'd answer no.
just another *** hole in a long line of no ones. Any athlete I ever met who went far in my sport was clean.

I never said anyone one was horrible

I have 0 false agruments

And i am so done with some know it all who tries to make himself feel better and bigger by annoying people who he feels are better then them. Anyone who has given me **** for being straight edge is someone who feels down on themselves already for doing what they do and they take it out on me. . Re-read everything I wrote little man. It's funny this guy is probally pale, scrony and has low self esteem.. Keep posting keep writing , keep trying to justify what you do because i dont have to. i am straight edge come **** , hell or high water I will still be here and clean.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Keep on rambling insults even if I asked you why you felt drugs were bad and why people who don't follow your trend are idiots with no will power. I'm asking it to you again because you dodged these questions so far and immaturely answered with:

keep trying to justify what you do because i dont have to.
I see almost no point in continuing this discussion if you feel your belief are so right they don't need justification.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Shut the **** up. Seriously. You are such a hypocritical prick that I am starting to want to snort coke just to not be associated with you. Read this and explain how this is you not being a hypocrite.

xOPTIMUSxChadx said:
And i am so done with some know it all who tries to make himself feel better and bigger by annoying people who he feels are better then them.
xOPTIMUSxChadx said:
Re-read everything I wrote little man. It's funny this guy is probally pale, scrony and has low self esteem..
So, you are not only telling him to stop judging you, WHILE judging him, but you are also telling him that if he posts he just proves your point. Part of me wants to close this topic because it's basically a flame war, but now, I cannot because I think your an idiot, which I refuse to close posts of people I am biased against. I really cannot believe you actually are this ignorant. It's a public forum; people will have different opinions AND will argue. Deal with it, or don't post. As long as they don't get too far off topic and don't get too harsh (which, I am contemplating if they are) I see nothing wrong here.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
I don't drink or do drugs, however I have tried certain drugs, also I have sex. So if having sex is against the straight edge way, then I can't be straight-edge...

M.K

Level 55
Shut the **** up. Seriously. You are such a hypocritical prick that I am starting to want to snort coke just to not be associated with you. Read this and explain how this is you not being a hypocrite.
Woah, I respect your opinion on this topic, but the sentence about coke is a bit much. That could upset some people. and could be a slightly immature way to approach things.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Woah, I respect your opinion on this topic, but the sentence about coke is a bit much. That could upset some people. and could be a slightly immature way to approach things.
Is this a joke, or are you trolling like a pro? :ohwell:

M.K

Level 55
Is this a joke, or are you trolling like a pro? :ohwell:
What is your problem? If you don't have anything to say to me in a polite and understanding manner, whether it be for or against my previous statement, then keep your fingers off the **** keyboard.
Don't EVER call me a troll. You act like a freaking ten year old.

DarkRenji

Smash Journeyman
xOPTIMUSxChadx, what's your problem? You just want to feel good about yourself?
I advise you to shut the **** up, because you are just making people angry. Go find some other forum to talk about your holiness, *******.

And yes, maybe it's best to close this topic so this idiot doesn't get any more attention. A ban would be nice too.

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
xOPTIMUSxChadx, what's your problem? You just want to feel good about yourself?
I advise you to shut the **** up, because you are just making people angry. Go find some other forum to talk about your holiness, *******.

And yes, maybe it's best to close this topic so this idiot doesn't get any more attention. A ban would be nice too.
why ban me? I didn't ****ing do a thing to anyone all i wanted to know if there were straight edge smashers but I guess you can't read a whole topic before you post. An infraction would be nice for this kid being rude and herassing me.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but I find it quite ironic how the thread title was changed to "immature smasher?" followed by an edited post that's just a big rambling wall of text.

DarkRenji

Smash Journeyman
why ban me? I didn't ****ing do a thing to anyone all i wanted to know if there were straight edge smashers but I guess you can't read a whole topic before you post. An infraction would be nice for this kid being rude and herassing me.
Wow, I admit that I didn't read all of that crap you said (sometimes because you can't spell), but the things I did read were full of you harassing other people.
So, now your saying I'm the bad guy here and you are not?

Crystallion

Smash Ace
OMG, he's an idiot, let him be. I mean, he edited his first post getting all defensive and he's insulting other people all over the place, nothin' but a last struggle. Do you really need to feed him so he can keep it going?

Anyway, this _should_ be closed. And dear mods, if you want to continue, then why not PM him? >_> Only a suggestion. I can see why you don't wish this thread to be closed, but enough is enough.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Well i had to take this down because a feel a few number of people on here are far to stuck up their own ***** to understand straight edge and they feel straight edge people are holier than thou.........If they get this mad at someone who doesn't do drugs, drink or smoke I wonder how mad they get at someone who doesnt eat meat? Just the same old immature people who just don't understand how someone can go 21 years with out with out doing drugs or drinking or smoking. I am use to this kind of ignorance from people who already feel what they do is bad for them. So what do they do? 1st they justify how much they do or drink by saying "hey I only drink a little" then it turns into " OMG!!!111!!!! you think you are so much better then everyone else because you don't like to drink and you think its wrong you are a jerk !!!!111!!!!!". I guess in looking for straight edge gamers I found a bunch of insecure kids who feel bad about their habbits in life. I am not a perfect person and well CF can't read but I never posted anything about me being be betting than anyone else. But I am sure CF is going troll the **** out this topic after i write this but I am done reading his **** and the rest of the jerks on this board's **** about straight edge. I hear it everyday kids and I am still the same person. Not a trend !! lol @ CF So CF what r you going to say something like this " OPTIMUS CHAD MADE ME SMOKE COKE LOLZ!!!" or " YOU HAVE NO INFORMATION ON HOW DRINKING AND SMOKING IS BAD LOLZZZZ!!!1111!!!!11!!!!!" lol It's exciting to see how dumb and lame people are. this **** is getting funny. You quote are going right on my other board lol

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
Wow, I admit that I didn't read all of that crap you said (sometimes because you can't spell), but the things I did read were full of you harassing other people.
So, now your saying I'm the bad guy here and you are not?
well you admit that you didn't read everything I guess you missed all this going back and forth. This is so lame. I am just going to stay out of this topic and know that you can't understand what i am talking about or have the brain power to understand. Keep talking **** kid. Keep trying to get a rise out of me...and yea I am saying you and everyone else who came in this topic and started with me for no ****ing reason are the bad guys. Get over yourselves. I hate kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom