• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic SSB, what all has changed?

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
So Im new to the forums, but Im deep in smash bros. I've been playing for about 2 years, but its only been on the n64. I've watched tournament footage on Youtube as probably most of you have, and I want to know a few things.

1) Is the online version faster then the n64 version, or is tournament footage sped up?

2) Why no items? I understand that it causes the attack to be pressed, and that play is speed up, but doesn't it ignore what I would call "stage control". Idk what this community's equivalent is, but I feel that I shouldn't have to run out to the edge of a stage after someone if their standing there. I would rather keep them over there and wait for the next item drop.

3) the tier list: this list has some general things that I agree with, but I think I have a flawed view of it because of my use of items, does this change of play cause such a huge swing in power of character?

4) can rules ever change from the 5 stock for events that I create?

And so finally I ask, who gets down on the n64 in the bay area?

My number is 1(925)989-0196. We have about 9 strong players in the group, and we're all pretty dedicated to the n64. Txt me or call me. I would love to get an event together, and find more players in my area.

dandan

Smash Lord
well, first of all, vids are not sped up (unless you have seen one that is, but not really), there are 3 likely explanations to this:
you are playing the pal version that runs on 50fps, but seeing that you are from the us, i do not think this is it.
some vids are recorded with lower fps, which might make the vids seem faster because of frame skips, even though it runs in normal speed.
the last reason is, i am gussing you are seeing vids made by top players, who play really fast, and faster than most people with less experience feel possible.

2) items are random, they deprive the matches from being a skill based contest. there are many more reasons i feel, but this is the main one.

3) the tier list is made with quite high level of play in mind, in different level of plays, some chars can feel stronger than they trully are.

4) you can set your own rules, your tourney your rules. you can set it to be lower tier characters, use items and more. however, the rules are there for a reason, it has been reached they are the best for tournies in general. just for example, yoshi's story is kinda broken because of camping on the clouds and the such, therefore some stages were decided as neutral and some were banned, but there is still some discussion about it from time to time.

anyhow, i hope i answered your questions. sorry if i sounded pompous or something, i am just assuming some stuff that might not be true.

DMoogle

A$
1. Neither.
2. Most people don't like the random element that items add.
3. The tier list is based on a high level of play. It's not going to be accurate for people who play differently. For example, I would put Ness in top tier at lower levels of play.
4. Your event, your rules. Personally, I usually prefer playing with 4 stocks instead of 5.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't know why California always has so many ssb64 players comming out of the woodwork...

I mean I live in Florida, 4th most populated state in the country, and we never have ssb64 players comming out of nowhere. Nor does much of anybody still play ssb64 here unlike Cali.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
@ ballin4life: I live in emeryville, where r u at? I am looking to play as many people as possible. I want to know all the players in the bay.

Note about Question1:
I am not a novice at this game, and the combos I see of footage are all things I do, and I know when people can and cannot break out of combos because I am well versed in all of the characters, its just I was wondering if there was a time difference in the n64 vs controllers used in the emulators. I figure response time would be up, and probably the game doesn't lag out when you use a fire flower and 3 characters are present kind of deal. lolz. I love the n64 controller and I am afraid to give it up, but I am sssoooooo down with it if my reaction time can shoot up higher.

I see how items can get you heated pretty fast if a bad one pops out, but I have been playing tournament rules as far as items go and I see how players charge into each other so often. I felt free to attack more because the ground you stand on will never bring any harvest so of deal. I have to admit I like it. It makes the matches more one sided in my favor against my group though. siff....... I love the beam sword so much though.............. and the fan (my paper beam sword) lolz.

Quick Bio: I'm a player with Ness as a main and I don't play average people, we all play with intensity and dedication to the game. I've trained so much that my cartage has reset itself 4 times. I might not be up to snuff with like top tournament players, but I've gotten to the point where I could take lives off I think (maybe hope). I don't use online that often, and n64 is my favorite console of all times kind of deal. I've watched like every Isai video in the last 48 hours and have been hooked. I want to play with people like that. Even if die over and over, I want to crawl back up and get to the "next level" kind of deal. I love the original and I was going to give up on it, but now I want to know my limits. This is not a challenge to anyone but myself, I want to know the untouchable players, I want to know the defeat of my styles and my weaknesses.

I hope this doesn't stick out as a uppity new player, I just want to play more, and against the strongest I can find.

As far as tournaments go, I would like to message any player who lives in the bay area and see what I can do. My play group is all for it, and I want our island of smash players to see the main land kind of thing.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
I don't know why California always has so many ssb64 players comming out of the woodwork...

I mean I live in Florida, 4th most populated state in the country, and we never have ssb64 players comming out of nowhere. Nor does much of anybody still play ssb64 here unlike Cali.
u and tank should move to cali :p

and responding to the original post (OP), im assuming you live in contra costa county because of ur area code (925). im in concord and can prolly play u guys. but ill only play if its 5 stocks and no items. anything else is too crazy

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I would love to play you. I normally play 3 stock with items on very low. but me and my roommate have been trying out tournament rules and their pretty fair in my mind. I miss my items and crazyness, but Im down for some serious smash play. And if its tournament training I am down for it as well, so your rules will be honored.

I hope my group lives up to your expectations. Ive peeped at your footage and your games between ballin4life, and I love it. I want to play both of you. You guys seem like pure fighting style players that don't bend to other people, and thats what I want, the challenge of not being able to hold anything back. I want you guys to play me asap.

Call me up and I will tell you my address, or throw me a text or something. I got a weird schedule, but I will go out of my way to play with you guys.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
I would love to play you. I normally play 3 stock with items on very low. but me and my roommate have been trying out tournament rules and their pretty fair in my mind. I miss my items and crazyness, but Im down for some serious smash play. And if its tournament training I am down for it as well, so your rules will be honored.

I hope my group lives up to your expectations. Ive peeped at your footage and your games between ballin4life, and I love it. I want to play both of you. You guys seem like pure fighting style players that don't bend to other people, and thats what I want, the challenge of not being able to hold anything back. I want you guys to play me asap.

Call me up and I will tell you my address, or throw me a text or something. I got a weird schedule, but I will go out of my way to play with you guys.
haha, i like ur attitude. i wish there were more players with that kind of mentality here. i just sent u a private message(pm), check it out. and hopefully u and ur buddies can make it out to the tourney on friday down in socal, if not, im sure ballin and myself would play u guys one of these days.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Yo Yo God720, Its nothen too serious, I just kept having the feeling that I was going to break the next barrier of skill, and that I wasn't playing for fun anymore so I was going to stop. Its like I hit a metal wall of skill and couldn't advance until I took a break man. idk, I was thinking about melee, and I tried it. its not like I was going to give it up forever or somethen, a girl gotta do that number on me before I hang up a controller for good.

@ Darth: what time do you plan on heading down for the tourny? is it a night before kind of drive, or a 6am kind of deal?

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Yo, great playen with you guyz at the socal tourny. It was a lotta fun and I only want to play more now

@tigerbombz: I played you and lost, but I wanna play you again and again. I will practice a lot and send you a message when Im done, kk.

Top Bottom