• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Classic mode

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
What do you guys think about this classic mode
Things like master core,Length,Your favorite moments etc

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
It's a lot more fun this time (from Brawl) with the improvements, such as reducing the no. of rounds, the difficulty scale you can gamble with, a non-linear path where you can choose who to fight each round, etc. It's a blast with different experiences every time. (:

I think my best moment was watching Giant Villager eat a Mushroom to grow even bigger. I didn't even know they could grow bigger, which caught me off guard!

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I like it, though I wish it were a little longer.
I think that drastically reducing Classic Mode's length makes perfect sense on a portable console; you're naturally going to want gameplay in shorter chunks there. I imagine it'll be back up to FEATURE LENGTH on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I think the length is perfect. Doing the same thing with 49 characters can get tiring fast!

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
This may be a dumb question, but does the color of the path factor into anything?

Shog

Smash Ace
If you want to blaze through classic mode, use equpment and boost your attack 3 times. It is amusing doing 80% damage with NeutralB with Ganondorf(and as you can imagine, dealing with master core is much much easier, too)

And Master Hand is so awesome in this game, by far the best master hand

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I miss the minigames, Smash Run stole from Classic Mode!!

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If you want to blaze through classic mode, use equpment and boost your attack 3 times. It is amusing doing 80% damage with NeutralB with Ganondorf(and as you can imagine, dealing with master core is much much easier, too)

And Master Hand is so awesome in this game, by far the best master hand
This is the second time I've heard triple attack recommended, but it hasn't been my experience at all that this is optimal. Maybe I'm just a baddie, but I'm not good enough to beat Master Core at 9.0 with triple attack on most characters. The low defense kills me too easily. I usually use triple defense or two defense and an offense. Defense items improve the sum of your Attack+Defense better than attack items, since the penalty on defense items is the speed stat, which is easily the least useful stat against Master Core.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
It's a fun mode, but fighting Ness is a crapshoot because of the flying man. I can't always get him and that is when I lose.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I do enjoy Classic, but I would like the opportunity to fight Master and Crazy hand without fighting the core each time

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have yet to go over intensity level 3, since I want to at least complete Classic Mode with all the fighters before trying to take the difficulty level up.

I do enjoy Classic, but I would like the opportunity to fight Master and Crazy hand without fighting the core each time
That's completely possible to do by setting the intensity level to 3, and taking the harder paths. The intensity level apparently has to be 5.1+ in order for Master Core to be fought.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
...Wait, how did this post get here?
Ignore this. XD

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I have yet to go over intensity level 3, since I want to at least complete Classic Mode with all the fighters before trying to take the difficulty level up.

That's completely possible to do by setting the intensity level to 3, and taking the harder paths. The intensity level apparently has to be 5.1+ in order for Master Core to be fought.
Well that I did not know!! But I'd like them to be on higher difficulties as well. Patch in a third path please Sakurai.

Also, unrelated but if you leave the default core the end, does anything else happen? It just killed me when I left it idle

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Well that I did not know!! But I'd like them to be on higher difficulties as well. Patch in a third path please Sakurai.

Also, unrelated but if you leave the default core the end, does anything else happen? It just killed me when I left it idle
I was curious too. I haven't tried air dodging the pulsing blast it does.

If it just keeps pulsing and pulsing that's kind of dumb, even the most relaxed of players can kill it before it starts pulsing so why even have it pulse at all?

I'm thinking maybe you get rewarded by seeing it take on some cool shape or something at least.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You know what I want to see to revamped classic mode

Co-Op

I would just love for a chance for Sonic and Megaman to wreck the competition together and handle Master Core

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've learned it takes an incredibly long time to complete this mode with every single character. This mode lets you know that there are a lot of characters in this game.

Folt

Smash Ace
I was curious too. I haven't tried air dodging the pulsing blast it does.

If it just keeps pulsing and pulsing that's kind of dumb, even the most relaxed of players can kill it before it starts pulsing so why even have it pulse at all?

I'm thinking maybe you get rewarded by seeing it take on some cool shape or something at least.
If you dodge all the pulses, Master Core self-destructs. It's generally there to make sure you're not goofing around when you could have finished it off.

Also, I love this Classic Mode. Master and Crazy Hand have now been retooled with new and altered attacks to make them a bigger challenge than before, and I love Master Core. Finally we see Master Hand go all out.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've managed to complete Classic Mode at intensity level 6, though I'm still trying to figure out which equipment I should be using for the harder intensity levels. I would think that the Shield Healer equipment will help prolong your longevity if you block Master Core's attacks, but focusing on defense as well will probably be important too if you don't want your shield to shatter from just one attack.

What I do know is that the First Striker equipment's extra effect never activates when you're fighting Master Hand, so you'll never get the temporary invincibility against him.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Numerous equipments are disabled against Master Hand.

Two vanilla defense items and an attack item are what I tend to have the most success with for 9.0 Master Hand. Naturally, like all boss battles, the key is seeing the attack patterns enough times that you memorize how to avoid them, and that's a bigger deal than which equipment you chose.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Numerous equipments are disabled against Master Hand.
So I'm probably taking it that healing equipment is out of the question then. I did try the auto-healer equipment, but because it doesn't exactly recover much damage each time it activates, you're usually taking more damage than what you're healing.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Vampire would probably be the best, if it's not disabled. And the shield healer might work, I just have never found a special effect that would work against master hand but I only tried a few of them.

I'd caution against underrating the power of the defense stat versus these things. The defense stat gives you:
-reduced launch knockback and damage
-increased shield durability
-bigger frame window on perfect shield

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah I do not want to neglect defense boosts at all, especially since Master Core's Monster Form has a bite attack that normally deals as much as 29% damage at level 9 intensity, or at least based on this YouTube video. The defense boosts are a double-edged sword when you face off against the Dark Clone form, but at least there are two ways to defeat it; KO it, or deplete its stamina.

The Source Form is pretty straightforward, though I don't know how much time you have before it starts using its 1-hit KO shockwave attack on the higher intensity levels.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It doesn't seem to change, I'm positive that you can KO the source form before the shockwave even with -200 attack.

What's actually the achilles heel of a defense build is windboxes, because the -speed reduces your aerial drift speed. Master Hand's hailstorm wind is so dangerous you might want to deliberately get hit by the ice clods, and the giant wind box on the humanoid form's "shout" can randomly kill you. I'm still not sure exactly what the difference is between whether the shout kills or not, might be based on your current damage.

Taking a hippie recovery (nondamaging up b custom special) is a good idea to reduce the chance of dying to that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
For those who have done it. What characters and if you used any, what equipment did you use to beat Master Core on Intensity 9.0 the first time? This is just a general question for those here. As I just managed to do it yesterday.

I've tried many of the suggested characters (Mainly Bowser and Ganondorf) and even a few that I thought might work. All ended in failure. That is until somehow I managed to beat him with Donkey Kong out of all characters. Though I admit having the Vampire Banana as well as Auto-Healer probably helped alot. But still kinda surprised as I don't really use DK that often. Still gotta give him alot more respect from now on though, as now I don't have to do 9.0 Intensity ever again unless I feel like being masochistic xD

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
YES!!! I have finally conquered intensity level 9 with Rosalina. It took me a couple tries, but I've been able to survive until I've fought Master Core during most of my runs.

I did have to try out different equipment, and stick with the standard Launch Star to do all of this though. In the end, all of my work has paid off, and I no longer have to deal with that skill level anymore.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
YES!!! I have finally conquered intensity level 9 with Rosalina. It took me a couple tries, but I've been able to survive until I've fought Master Core during most of my runs.

I did have to try out different equipment, and stick with the standard Launch Star to do all of this though. In the end, all of my work has paid off, and I no longer have to deal with that skill level anymore.
Congratulations!
While it is possible to 100% the game without playing 9.0 more than once, I would recommend you return to it if you want to farm custom specials quickly later. *However*, beating Master Core isn't really necessary to effectively use 9.0 for farming, you can select give up when you lose and keep most of the things you found. And it's less stressful to use it for farming purposes just in general, whenever you lose you can just give up and keep most of your things and it's NBD.

9.0 isn't the only way to farm customs though, there's Smash Run and other things too. 9.0 is just probably the fastest.

@ SonicMario SonicMario : DK is a total beast in single player modes.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Congratulations!
While it is possible to 100% the game without playing 9.0 more than once, I would recommend you return to it if you want to farm custom specials quickly later. *However*, beating Master Core isn't really necessary to effectively use 9.0 for farming, you can select give up when you lose and keep most of the things you found. And it's less stressful to use it for farming purposes just in general, whenever you lose you can just give up and keep most of your things and it's NBD.

9.0 isn't the only way to farm customs though, there's Smash Run and other things too. 9.0 is just probably the fastest.

@ SonicMario SonicMario : DK is a total beast in single player modes.
I did get all of Rosalina's custom specials before even trying the harder intensity levels. Also, I did find out that after each failed attempt, I did get to keep some of my rewards upon quitting, and as such, I never actually lost any gold; all my game overs were to due to Master Core, and by that time, I gained more than enough gold to replace whatever gold I lost.

Anyway, in terms of your suggestion, Rosalina really has become my trump card fighter, as I don't think I can cope with the higher intensity levels very well with anyone else; I resorted to Smash matches to get Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, and Bowser Jr..

Folt

Smash Ace
I did 9.0. with a custom Luigi. Probably not that big of a surprise.

Sweet-spot Up B on the core has never felt so good.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I was able to beat Master Core on 9.0 Intensity with Default Ike.

Folt

Smash Ace
Incidentally, I must say I love the retooled Master and Crazy Hand. Their movesets are now less dependent on physical hand motions since they lost some staples of their old moveset. In place of those, they now produce fireballs, whip up blizzards, hammer dark balls of destruction into the ground, toss down created card platforms, plant dark exploding lasers, play ball with electric orbs, and tear open rifts to another dimension.

They feel so much more like the higher beings the Smash series have been advertising them as.

Last edited:
Top Bottom