• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

classic controler

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'll try it at least. I own one for some SNES VC games, and it seems like it would be fairly comfortable for Brawl. Won't know till I play it obviously, but the only problem I can foresee is the location of the left analog stick. A bit less comfortable than the GCN controller.

GuMz

Smash Apprentice
I actually like this more over the gamecube controller it's more comfortable for my small hands :)

InSaNiTy

Smash Cadet
All 4 control schemes seem decent, I just think the classic controller is pwnage, so i will probably use that.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace

The layout is much more fighting game friendly, I feel. I've mapped the extra Z button to shield, too. No instinctive light shielding!
Basically, the only negatives are: unfamiliarity, grip, and possible lag/interference from wirelessness (has this been tested?). The left stick is a bit tall for my taste, but that's preference.

Mine is all tricked out,. Replaced the sticks with GC sticks and the buttons with SNES buttons.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
how the hell did you do that?
Replace the sticks? It takes a tri-wing screwdriver, but getting one of those is the only difficult part. You take out all the screws in the back of each controller, pop it open, and take out the parts you want. The sticks have the same fitting part, so it's literally just pulling them off and switching them.
The SNES buttons are too short to be functional, so I put the regular ones back in.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow (with paint jobs).

Kabii!

Smash Rookie
I'll definately try the classic controller. It looks pretty comfortable, and I like the layout. If I happen to dislike it... I'll just use the GC controller.

TickleMePick1e

Smash Cadet
i am going to start using the classic controllers i already bought one its been collecting dust for about half a year, its so cheap but the prob is buying the wii mote ]s does anyone know where to gett\ those cheap???

Majist

Smash Journeyman
'sup guys. i have important information. this isn't directly related to the Classic controller, but it might apply to it.

you may not know this, but when using the GCN controller, sometimes the C-stick doesn't register. my buddies figured out why and how to prevent that from happening.

in Melee, you'll notice that when you stand still and rotate the C-stick around over and over, your character will do smashes in all directions. They've changed the mechanics in Brawl to where if you don't let go of the C-stick after tapping it once, it will not register any more attacks afterwards. so if you do the same thing and rotate it around and around, your character will only attack once and then just stand there.

in order to prevent your C-stick from "not working," after tapping it, it must go back to its neutral position before it will function again. so after doing an aerial/smash/roll/dodge/grab with the C-stick, you have to let go of it completely so it'll return to the center position.

so that's how it works i don't know if the same rules apply with the classic controller, cuz i haven't played with it yet. speaking of which, i've been told that the Classic controller may be a better choice to use for Brawl.

xcgumby

Smash Rookie
I think I like the location of the z button on the classic more, it seems like it would be easier to press from the R. But the only problem is seeing with it is the left analog stick position. . .I'll have to test it out.

ifthisisitsobeit

Smash Cadet
I use the classic controller myself. Initially, it was due to the fact that I do not have a gamecube controller (I am currently in Japan and didn't bring my 'Cube).

It did not take me long at all to adjust to it and I love using classic, I will never go back to using a gamecube controller.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
the joystick and the buttons on the classic are too small and are spaced out awkwardly, so I will most definately be playing with a GCN controller.

otter

Smash Ace
Brown Paper Sack, I have made that point to many, many people and they just try to think of a response for a moment and then say "Well I'm used to Gamecube, so it's better" :dizzy:

Thanks for that bro!

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
personally, since brawl is a completely new game, I'm playing it with a new controller. I'll try em all out, but in the end classic controller will win for customization (more buttons)

Gary

Smash Apprentice
The classic controller is amazing. I do have large hands, but it still feels comfortable. It's a little weird to get used to at first, and you DEFINITELY have to change the control scheme so you don't jump with up on the control stick so you don't jump uncontrollably. But yes, my controller of choice.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
The CC is pretty nice once you get used to it. I fooled around with the buttons and got a pretty comfortable scheme going.

A - Jump
B - Attack
Y - Special
X - Grab
R/L - Shield
Z - Grab
Turn off Control Stick jumping

I tried going all Super Mario World with B as jump but it didn't feel right. The default configuration annoys me, too.

Cropcircles

Smash Rookie
imo the gamecube controller is the most comfortable controller ever made, right next to the xbox 360 controller.
the classic doesn't feel even half as good in my hands as the gc-controller feels.

but i'll probably use it once i get my copy of brawl, so i'm not depentent on bringing my gc-controller when i'm at my friends' houses (none of them have melee and all of them are buying a brawl because they're tired of tekken and wanna play sonic and snake).

i think that if some manufacturer wanted to earn some cash of the brawl release they should release a gc-clone-classic controller and label it "WORKS PERFECTLY WITH SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL"

Bodknocks

Smash Rookie
NNID
austonwithano
I like the look and feel of the classic, and I bought one just for SSB:B as I don't own any VC games yet. If I don't like it, I'll just go back to the GC controller.

Spife

Smash Master
I just got one today and it is very, very nice. I didn't realize until...just now though that wireless could create lag (based on an above post) and what about multiple wireless controllers in a small space? Could that cause problems?
Anyhoo I bought it cause it's less then a gamecube controller (and they didn't have any GC controllers where I was and I needed a new one).
The control sticks are sensative and it's much more compact. I'll put it to you this way, I had been playing brawl on a GC controller with out a rubber cover on the control stick and after that for 2-3 hours, the classic controller felt like heaven.

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
I can't really decide between the GC and the CC. I think the CC has the most potential except I'm having a VERY difficult time finding the perfect custom setup and getting used to it. The reach to the joysticks is kind of awkward...

If anyone has any good setups for it please share.

Right now i think I have

a- b specials
x- attack
y- jump
b- grab

tap jump off

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
I can't really decide between the GC and the CC. I think the CC has the most potential except I'm having a VERY difficult time finding the perfect custom setup and getting used to it. The reach to the joysticks is kind of awkward...

If anyone has any good setups for it please share.

Right now i think I have

a- b specials
x- attack
y- jump
b- grab

tap jump off

Domikaze

Smash Rookie
I have been using a classic controller because I am at my girlfriends house for the week and I wont have a GC control until I head back home. Its not bad. I can't really say without some kind of bias because I am SO used to the GC controller that anything would feel akward after all of this time. But its not so bad when you get used to it. Definately worth a try.

BlackSheep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChibiBlackSheep
3DS FC
4081-5611-8604
I myself like the CC, however I didn't like holding it very much untilI bought that Nyko holder. It at least makes reaching the sticks a lot easier for me, and definitely makes it more comfortable. Though I'm still trying to map the buttons to the way that I think could work best.

Never thought about subbing a jump button on the face for grab... I'll have to try that one.

Top Bottom