• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati Weeklies (Next: Friday Nov. 28)

smash64

Smash Champion
oh yeah infern you could go with Dr.x,Q,Kel,OS..ect to SaC2, sadly i wont be able to go ill be in tennessee owning some noobs in soccer

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Yes.

Both of you threw off my funk by being at my tournament.
And my *** of a step brother.

You're all mean like butt.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
So yeah, the Testicles Tournament was the single manliest thing ever and I think we'll need to do another one sometime-- especially since OS left right after Winners Finals and ****ed up the results. But yeah... bump for update, which will come shortly after this post.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I pooped on Brawl so bad while I was there, DrX. I just don't really like it that much. I didn't mean to offend ya we just have differing opinions. Btw, that was a pretty cool kill at the end of our match with the overB.

You should have come and played a few rounds of melee with us. But I guess since we shun brawl so hard you didn't feel obligated. But we had some really good matches going in the little back room.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Sorry I pooped on Brawl so bad while I was there, DrX. I just don't really like it that much. I didn't mean to offend ya we just have differing opinions. Btw, that was a pretty cool kill at the end of our match with the overB.

You should have come and played a few rounds of melee with us. But I guess since we shun brawl so hard you didn't feel obligated. But we had some really good matches going in the little back room.
No problem, man. I did play a bit with Phil before you guys got there. I was thinking about joining in afterwards but seeing as we only had one Melee setup I figured it was better to just let you guys use it.

I wanna say, though... that you may enjoy Brawl a heck of a lot more if you learned to play it right. I used to hate it, too. Now I actually prefer it.

A couple key things to remember... most of the time it's better to do aerials sooner, rather than later, because that's how they auto-cancel. A few moves have very little if any lag when landing them, however, and those you can use just like l-cancels in Melee. When you figure this out, Brawl moves almost as fast as Melee-- the only thing holding it back being the floatiness of all the characters. It's like everyone is Jigglypuff.

Kel

Smash Master
Disliking a game and consciously deciding not to play it is one thing. Making rude comments and all around ignorant statements about the game that you refuse to learn is another thing.

If the Melee community wants to stay so segregated I don't understand what all the hate is about. Pretty much everybody came from playing competitive Melee. It's not that anyone dislikes Melee, we obviously love the game, it's just Brawl is brand new and exciting and deserves a shot. You don't have to be so negative about people enjoying a game that you don't. Millions of people all around the world love baseball, but I think it's the most boring sport ever created. Diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
So yeah, the Testicles Tournament was the single manliest thing ever and I think we'll need to do another one sometime-- especially since OS left right after Winners Finals and ****ed up the results. But yeah... bump for update, which will come shortly after this post.
Dont u be hating on the results, Captain Falcon proved to have the largest testicles by winning the tournament

Taso

Smash Apprentice
I thought we'd agreed last time that Captain Falcon riding on top of Bowser with a perpetual punch charged while Bowser was doing his car-dash was the most manly thing ever.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Disliking a game and consciously deciding not to play it is one thing. Making rude comments and all around ignorant statements about the game that you refuse to learn is another thing.

If the Melee community wants to stay so segregated I don't understand what all the hate is about. Pretty much everybody came from playing competitive Melee. It's not that anyone dislikes Melee, we obviously love the game, it's just Brawl is brand new and exciting and deserves a shot. You don't have to be so negative about people enjoying a game that you don't. Millions of people all around the world love baseball, but I think it's the most boring sport ever created. Diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks.
That I understand. I don't hate on anyone for enjoying brawl, in fact if Melee had never existed, brawl would probably be one of my favorite games. And I think it's great that you guys are sticking with it, but I just can't get into it.

As far as it deserving a shot, yeah. Me, Chuck and Sean gave it a really good shot. When it came out we played it for a week. As in, we played it from 9pm to 8am every day for a week. We even went to the tourney at Gamejunkie and didn't do too bad. And then to a few of the Gamecity tourneys. But we realized that we weren't having as much fun anymore. Then we went back to Melee and found an even deeper respect for it.

All in all, it's not a BAD game, but I think brawl caters to a very different form of competitive play than Melee. That is why a lot of Melee players are reluctant to make the transition. I guess the only thing I can say without going into huge detail as to why I enjoy Melee more is that I just have more fun when I'm playing. You can say it's because I suck at brawl, and I'll be the first one to tell you that I probably do, but that is not the reason at all.

Sorry for the long post but I had a lot on my mind when I typed it. And I do want to thank you guys for having a Melee set up at all. Especially since you set up these weeklies for brawl.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
As far as it deserving a shot, yeah. Me, Chuck and Sean gave it a really good shot. When it came out we played it for a week. As in, we played it from 9pm to 8am every day for a week.
The only difference between us and you is that we don't consider the first week of metagame development to be "a really good shot." We all played it (and more than a few of us hated it) just as much as you did for the first week.

The game has changed quite a bit since that first week now that people have had months to figure out how to play it well, and the wisdom they've uncovered has been ignored by many. Autocancels, a concept you guys have never seemed to grasp, are a staple for most characters, especially those allowed in the Testicles Tournament. Hearing you guys complain about how slow Ganon's dair is, for example, while watching you lag it into the ground over and over, could be compared to somebody who never L-cancels complaining about how slow Ganon is in Melee.

Before, it was naivety-- in the first week Brawl was out nobody knew better and lots of stupid things like that were said by all. Now, however, it's nothing but deliberate ignorance. Even while you were saying it, I was there showing you proof of your mistake, and it's like you literally resisted hearing it.

All in all, it's not a BAD game, but I think brawl caters to a very different form of competitive play than Melee. That is why a lot of Melee players are reluctant to make the transition.
It's impossible for anybody to say what form of competitive play a game caters to when they hardly know anything about the game in question.

I guess the only thing I can say without going into huge detail as to why I enjoy Melee more is that I just have more fun when I'm playing. You can say it's because I suck at brawl, and I'll be the first one to tell you that I probably do, but that is not the reason at all.
Familiarity may be and very likely is a factor in this that you're not considering. I'm willing to believe that somebody can genuinely prefer Melee to Brawl (in fact, I know more than a few that do), but I'm less inclined to listen to somebody who only knows one game rather than both.

Sorry for the long post but I had a lot on my mind when I typed it. And I do want to thank you guys for having a Melee set up at all. Especially since you set up these weeklies for brawl.
Of course. The main reason I have it is to keep the community together. I don't want you guys to feel unwelcome just cause you don't play Brawl. I'd just appreciate it if you guys returned the favor by not giving the people who do play Brawl reason to not welcome you.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I hate everyone who doesn't play Brawl.

Awwwwwwwww just kiddin'.

Anyway, if these become bi-weeklies come the fall, I might take up the other week at NKU (about 10 minutes south of Dr.X's / Sliq & Kel's apartment) if people wanted it.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
The game has changed quite a bit since that first week now that people have had months to figure out how to play it well, and the wisdom they've uncovered has been ignored by many. Autocancels, a concept you guys have never seemed to grasp, are a staple for most characters, especially those allowed in the Testicles Tournament. Hearing you guys complain about how slow Ganon's dair is, for example, while watching you lag it into the ground over and over, could be compared to somebody who never L-cancels complaining about how slow Ganon is in Melee.
Okay, firstly, you're talking like I am a complete dullard. I know what you mean by "autocancelling". You can do something similar with Marth's nair in Melee so I understand the point you're trying to make. However, it seems to me like you are clinging on to this term to defend brawl's metagame. One technique is not going to change the mind of a hardcore Melee player into thinking that brawl is worth the effort.

Before, it was naivety-- in the first week Brawl was out nobody knew better and lots of stupid things like that were said by all. Now, however, it's nothing but deliberate ignorance. Even while you were saying it, I was there showing you proof of your mistake, and it's like you literally resisted hearing it.
Okay, this was a fault of mine. When I'm playing, I tend to concentrate too hard and block out a lot of what people are trying to tell me. I didn't hear you mentioning it while we played but I remember you saying something about it in the back room. I didn't refuse to hear it, and as stubborn as this may sound, I just didn't really care that much. I'm happy that you know how to utilize tricks in brawl, more power to you, but that doesn't give you the right to tell me that the reason I don't like playing brawl is because I don't do the same.

It's impossible for anybody to say what form of competitive play a game caters to when they hardly know anything about the game in question.
I know enough about it to be argumentative. It's not like I'm spamming the boards with posts like "brawl's dumb, melee's better". I understand that the competitive scene of brawl is still growing and can't be accurately defined like melee's can, but I do know that it's less exciting for me to go to a brawl tournament when I could be playing melee. Maybe it's just me, but then why would there be so many people that steadfast the melee scene and only consider whether or not to go to a brawl tourney? They can't all be hard-headed people that won't learn a new game. Brawl's metagame does appeal to certain players, but not to others, just like melee does.

Familiarity may be and very likely is a factor in this that you're not considering. I'm willing to believe that somebody can genuinely prefer Melee to Brawl (in fact, I know more than a few that do), but I'm less inclined to listen to somebody who only knows one game rather than both.
I've tried to tell you that I like melee more because it's a personal preference, but you're so intent on converting melee players, it's annoying. I get it, you like brawl, and I don't have a problem with that at all. But you seem to have a problem with the fact that I play melee and not brawl. I can see why you like brawl, really I can, but for some reason you won't accept the fact that I dislike it in comparison to melee. I don't want to start any kind of feud over this, but when you talk about brawl you sound like a jehova's witness that I just want to go away so I can finish my cereal.

Of course. The main reason I have it is to keep the community together. I don't want you guys to feel unwelcome just cause you don't play Brawl. I'd just appreciate it if you guys returned the favor by not giving the people who do play Brawl reason to not welcome you.
I don't try to start anything with anyone. If I've done something that upset you or the other guys, my apologies. Don't worry, it's not like I'm going to walk into the room and say "you guys suck cuz you play brawl", I'm not like that. Too each his own, man.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
2 statements:

Hardcore? I don't think you fit the definition of hardcore simply because you play Melee and don't play Brawl; I went to more Melee tournametns than I can count and I still play Brawl. :(

You basically said in your post that you don't really know waht is going on with Brawl. I am going to tell you, yes, that is why you don't like Brawl. It is possible you may not enjoy it for some odd reason while still enjoying Melee, but the odds are very, very slim. Hell, Diddy requires faster and more complex input than Fox EVER did in Melee. >_>

Chances are, you just don't know how to play. You never played a kid in Melee, 3 stocked him, and then heard from him "this game is dumb"?

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Hardcore? I don't think you fit the definition of hardcore simply because you play Melee and don't play Brawl; I went to more Melee tournametns than I can count and I still play Brawl. :(
Hardcore as in loyal. Hardcore as in I'd do anything to keep it alive instead of conforming to the brawl movement like so many people did. I'm not saying that brawl should be wiped from the face of the earth so that everyone would go back to melee, but I would like to keep melee going for as long as possible.

You basically said in your post that you don't really know waht is going on with Brawl. I am going to tell you, yes, that is why you don't like Brawl. It is possible you may not enjoy it for some odd reason while still enjoying Melee, but the odds are very, very slim. Hell, Diddy requires faster and more complex input than Fox EVER did in Melee. >_>
You're partially right. I'm not completely familiar with a lot of things in brawl. And I'm so glad you have me down to such a science that you can tell me exactly why I don't like the game. I needed someone to tell me why so bad, thanks man.:ohwell:

Chances are, you just don't know how to play. You never played a kid in Melee, 3 stocked him, and then heard from him "this game is dumb"?
Yes I have 4-stocked a kid and heard almost those exact words. However, I don't dislike it because I don't know how to play. I already admitted that I suck at brawl. But I've never lost in brawl and said those words, because losing isn't the catalyst for my not liking it.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Not trying to convert you, man. Just making sure you understand the difference between ignorance (your current position) and informed dislike (the position you sometimes seem to think you're in). Your confusion in this matter-- and with "your" I'm including Sean, Chuk, and Phil as well-- and the presumptuous attitude that comes with it is the number one contributor to this divide in the community.

It's not your personal preference that segregates you. It's your arrogance. You guys deem yourselves fit to pass judgment without any true understanding, and never let slip any opportunities to let everyone around you know how right you think you are. Most people would rather not deal with it, so they're not going out of their way to socialize with you, and they'd certainly rather not discuss smash with you-- Brawl, Melee, whatever, you'd have more productive conversations with a brick wall most of the time.

Me? I try my best to welcome you guys, because really... you're all great guys and until Brawl came out I never once had a problem with any of you. But if including the Melee setup ever becomes truly destructive to the atmosphere-- and thankfully so far it hasn't-- it will not stay. You guys can play elsewhere if you're not willing to play nice.

And if you don't want to play Brawl, you don't have to. When I come in to ask if you guys want to be in the tournament, you can say no. That's kind of the point of asking. :p

I'll try to do a Melee event of some kind next week if you guys come again, but I can't promise everyone will want to be in it. It may wind up just being me, you guys, and Q if he's not working. Maybe Tyr or DLaw if they come.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to convert you, man. Just making sure you understand the difference between ignorance (your current position) and informed dislike (the position you sometimes seem to think you're in). Your confusion in this matter-- and with "your" I'm including Sean, Chuk, and Phil as well-- and the presumptuous attitude that comes with it is the number one contributor to this divide in the community.

It's not your personal preference that segregates you. It's your arrogance. You guys deem yourselves fit to pass judgment without any true understanding, and never let slip any opportunities to let everyone around you know how right you think you are. Most people would rather not deal with it, so they're not going out of their way to socialize with you, and they'd certainly rather not discuss smash with you-- Brawl, Melee, whatever, you'd have more productive conversations with a brick wall most of the time.

Me? I try my best to welcome you guys, because really... you're all great guys and until Brawl came out I never once had a problem with any of you. But if including the Melee setup ever becomes truly destructive to the atmosphere-- and thankfully so far it hasn't-- it will not stay. You guys can play elsewhere if you're not willing to play nice.

And if you don't want to play Brawl, you don't have to. When I come in to ask if you guys want to be in the tournament, you can say no. That's kind of the point of asking. :p

I'll try to do a Melee event of some kind next week if you guys come again, but I can't promise everyone will want to be in it. It may wind up just being me, you guys, and Q if he's not working. Maybe Tyr or DLaw if they come.
Although you're still missing my point (and I'm probably missing yours), I agree that sometimes discussion gets a little heated when it comes to MeleeVsBrawl, because both sides are equally right and equally wrong. But, I don't want to jeopardize hanging out at your place and playing any game. From now on I'll leave my opinions at the door.

BTW, that would be pretty cool to do a Melee event. The reason I didn't say no to the brawl tourney was because, I mean, you let us into your home to play and I know you wanted us to play brawl, too. It wasn't only because I felt obligated though, I actually wanted to see how you guys were at brawl since I hadn't played you since that last gamecity thing. Although I don't play it, I'll respect players that keep at it and get better.

Megachuk

Smash Ace
I completely understand canceling aerials, but no. 1 I haven't played this game in for ev's, no. 2 I never played as falcon or ganon. I do think it's a fun game, but I have more fun with melee. And the whole time I'm playing brawl, I'd prolly rather play melee. So, 2-tone, Sean, phil, mat, and myself played the game we enjoyed more. That's it, end of story. And don't try and say that we're all derogatory and shiz, cuz it goes both way's. I over hear some of the brawlers saying how they're glad gimps aren't as easy, or talking about invincibility frames off the ledge in melee... But I don't care cuz they're talking amongst each other, and I'm not gonna hop in their conversation and tell them how I think they're wrong, and how an A,a,a,a,a,a,a combo is the most retarted thing ever.

Sorry if I sound pissed, but I'm running on fumes and @ work. I DO like hangin out with you guys, and we did keep the critism towards brawl in our own little melee room. Next time we come we'll try and me more courteous...

I'll drop the arguments here, so don't try to quote me and rebutle me. I just won't give a ****, cuz you're still gonna think one thing, and I'm still gonna think the other.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
I completely understand canceling aerials, but no. 1 I haven't played this game in for ev's, no. 2 I never played as falcon or ganon. I do think it's a fun game, but I have more fun with melee. And the whole time I'm playing brawl, I'd prolly rather play melee. So, 2-tone, Sean, phil, mat, and myself played the game we enjoyed more. That's it, end of story. And don't try and say that we're all derogatory and shiz, cuz it goes both way's. I over hear some of the brawlers saying how they're glad gimps aren't as easy, or talking about invincibility frames off the ledge in melee... But I don't care cuz they're talking amongst each other, and I'm not gonna hop in their conversation and tell them how I think they're wrong, and how an A,a,a,a,a,a,a combo is the most retarted thing ever.

Sorry if I sound pissed, but I'm running on fumes and @ work. I DO like hangin out with you guys, and we did keep the critism towards brawl in our own little melee room. Next time we come we'll try and me more courteous...

I'll drop the arguments here, so don't try to quote me and rebutle me. I just won't give a ****, cuz you're still gonna think one thing, and I'm still gonna think the other.
I'll rebutle who I want to rebutle!

HAHAHAH!!!!

But no seriously, QFT

couldn't be more fair and balanced.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
I am quite new to this... how exactly does this work...? do you just walk in?

Doctor X

Smash Lord
The difference is, when we talk about Melee, we know exactly what we're talking about, because most of us played it for years-- some of us longer and to a much more "hardcore" degree than you guys did. The ones that didn't? Well, they usually don't talk about Melee, and when they do, those of us more informed will smack them down.

Sorry, man. Doesn't work like that. You can't just claim the last word.

But no seriously, QFT

couldn't be more fair and balanced.
Again... remember the difference between ignorance and informed dislike. You guys keep wanting to put yourselves in one when you so clearly belong in the other.

I am quite new to this... how exactly does this work...? do you just walk in?
Pretty much. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'd just like to go ahead and mention that GUNPUNCH! is better at Melee than these guys and moved onto Brawl and are now better at Brawl.

GUNPUNCH! is awesome.

Top Bottom