• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

choose Roy over Marth? are you kidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaco

The Terminator
lol bro just check the tiers note that the tiers are there for a reason marth is over roy even neo the best roy player admits it

Corigames

Smash Hero
I love how Neo kicks butt. It's like his Roy cuts the teirs and says LOOK AT ME AND MY MIGHT!!! And then some tipper kills him. So sad.

Gray

Smash Journeyman
Well since I use Marth in serious matches and I have better low tier characters, I don't use him very often.

Banned via Administration
Tera agrees with me! Comboing Marth is also a lot easier than Comboing Roy for me.
roy cant get waveshined, marth can
roy can get **** juggled by dk, marth cant
both marth and roy can get **** comboed by falcon
roy is easier to usmash/uair juggle with fox
roy is easier to dair>shine combo w/ falco

essentially whatever works on shiek also works on roy. so ya you can do alot to him

it really depends on the matchup, but id actually go with roy being easier to combo.

CutMet

Smash Journeyman
About the combos, I guess it's just me then. I play more Marth's than Roy's so that's probably the reason. For me at least.

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
i think roy just takes more experience at the game, but ultimately has more potential then marth. i would like to someday prove that, in a tournament or somn.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lol @ most of the reasons being "marth is gay" or "marth is cheap"
you guys must not like winning that much.

anyway, roy's cool. i play with both, mostly marth...i'm torn sort of..i find it more natural to tipper attacks than to get shots in the middle, and it helps with spacing

but roy shffl's like a mad man

i wish roy had a decent spike, i'd probably main him

i think roy just takes more experience at the game, but ultimately has more potential then marth. i would like to someday prove that, in a tournament or somn.
ahhahahahahahahha
but roy shffl's like a mad man
why do people still think this?

marth can put out aerials way faster than roy can and roy's l-canel is horrendous. if you want amazing shffl speed go with like fox or falco, you know, good tier characters.

Link226

Smash Ace
Roy plays faster and is less gay. I'm ADD, Marth requires too much patience.

Sheik is pretty gay but anyone who is any good can beat a bad Sheik (aka learn to DI).

Marth, sorry guys, Marth is the easiest character to play in the game. No johns, hold direction press A. You can hold direction and C-stick and you're pro. Amazing combos on fastfallers are Utilt->repeat until DI->If DI is bad smash, as well as things like Grab->Whatever and his edgeguarding is gayz and also brilliantly easy. At least Sheik you have to time stuff.
The best post in this thread ^^, honestly i do believe Marth is the easiest character in this game, but Fox and Falco are cheaper....if that makes sense. It also sucks how people say things like "wow you must not like winning".....well obviously nobody likes to lose, but a lot of people like to win with dignity and a little work, not with the easiest characters in the game.

But to stay on topic:

Roys dtilt is really useful against fastfallers. So once in a blue whenever i know im gonna fight a noob and hes using a FF i choose Roy. lol I get happy because i actually won with him.

The best post in this thread ^^, honestly i do believe Marth is the easiest character in this game, but Fox and Falco are cheaper....if that makes sense. It also sucks how people say things like "wow you must not like winning".....well obviously nobody likes to lose, but a lot of people like to win with dignity and a little work, not with the easiest characters in the game.

But to stay on topic:

Roys dtilt is really useful against fastfallers. So once in a blue whenever i know im gonna fight a noob and hes using a FF i choose Roy. lol I get happy because i actually won with him.
this is why smashboards < gamefaqs. it's not even funny here.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
marth is actually pretty hard to play well. he has a garbage rush down game so playing him requires a much better knowledge of poking and zoning than other top tiers. it is rediculously easy to get grabs with him though

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
ahhahahahahahahha

marth can put out aerials way faster than roy can and roy's l-canel is horrendous. if you want amazing shffl speed go with like fox or falco, you know, good tier characters.
you can laugh all you want, but just don't end up as one of my victims. aight?;)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
roy cant get waveshined, marth can
roy can get **** juggled by dk, marth cant
both marth and roy can get **** comboed by falcon
roy is easier to usmash/uair juggle with fox
roy is easier to dair>shine combo w/ falco
One of the big things that 5150 doesnt really mention here (other than the DK cargo upthrow -> uair ****) is how roy gets ***** by grabs. Fox has up throw -> uair^3; Marth has f-throw chaingrab -> forward/back throw mixup -> fsmash, and upthrow -> uptilt/fair combos; Sheik can chain grab the everloving **** out of roy (and ganon can too); Capt falcon can get a couple downthrow chains in, and then its dthrow/uthrow -> uair -> knee; the marios have dthrow -> fsmash or uptilt -> combo...

Basically, anyone who can **** out of a grab, will do so against roy.

Sorry, but you're not going to prove that, because its just not true. Instead of getting easier for you when you/your opponents get at a higher level of play, it'll get harder, because theres just so little roy can do, and so much that every other char can do to him. Neo, who has played this game for god knows how long (is it something like 5-6 years now?), agrees that roy is a horrible character. There's just too little to bring out in him compared to pretty much all other chars, let alone the high tiers.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
ahhahahahahahahha

Roy shffles MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than marth, its a demonstrated fact. he short hops lower and fast falls faster. His L-Cancel is just about as good as it needs to be, and better than Marth's is certain cases (as in the Bair)
Roy shffles almost as fast as Falco dpes, buuut he has more range...Falco's obvious a more usable character for other reasons (mainly more killing moves and more combos), but in terms of pure shffled aerials, i think Roy is on par.

@ everyone else..
Marth is not an "easy" character. He's "easy" to spam sword attacks with, sure. not 'easy' to win with, due to lack of obvious and easy killing moves...his short hop is among the hardest to master, and the timing on his l-cancelled aerials is awkward.

Fox is clearly not cheap due solely to the fact that he's hard to play with. anyone who has mastered Fox deserves to win.

There are no "cheap" characters in this game. Every character has weaknesses, glaring ones, every character has draw backs. If you lose a match, you lost because you're opponent outperformed you. that will ALWAYS be the case with this game. Thats why i love this game. button mashers don't win, and you can't pick a certain character and win.

Roy shffles MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than marth, its a demonstrated fact. he short hops lower and fast falls faster. His L-Cancel is just about as good as it needs to be, and better than Marth's is certain cases (as in the Bair)
Roy shffles almost as fast as Falco dpes, buuut he has more range...Falco's obvious a more usable character for other reasons (mainly more killing moves and more combos), but in terms of pure shffled aerials, i think Roy is on par.
who cares how fast he can fast fall, he cant put out as many moves as marth can. marth is faster. GET OVER IT.

Fox is clearly not cheap due solely to the fact that he's hard to play with. anyone who has mastered Fox deserves to win.

There are no "cheap" characters in this game. Every character has weaknesses, glaring ones, every character has draw backs. If you lose a match, you lost because you're opponent outperformed you. that will ALWAYS be the case with this game. Thats why i love this game. button mashers don't win, and you can't pick a certain character and win.
you obviously haven't been to a tournament. go to a tournament please and then say fox isn't "cheap" rofl.

Tera253

Smash Ace
all top-tier characters are cheap. this has been a well-established fact for quite some time.
off topic: (like everything else here) Fast fallers>floaties

~Tera253~

TGM

Smash Lord
Roy just can not compete. He has a few things that are better than marth(CC and taunt) but that isnt enough to put him better than marth.

Think, if roy is so much better than marth..............why do you see people winning with marth and losing with roy? You go by results when finding out who is the btter character....and frankly, roy has horrible results.

I admire though, anybody that mains and stays with roy to the bitter end. I always love seeing low tier mains hang ten with the top tiers.

Syk0

Smash Journeyman
One of the big things that 5150 doesnt really mention here (other than the DK cargo upthrow -> uair ****) is how roy gets ***** by grabs. Fox has up throw -> uair^3; Marth has f-throw chaingrab -> forward/back throw mixup -> fsmash, and upthrow -> uptilt/fair combos; Sheik can chain grab the everloving **** out of roy (and ganon can too); Capt falcon can get a couple downthrow chains in, and then its dthrow/uthrow -> uair -> knee; the marios have dthrow -> fsmash or uptilt -> combo...

Basically, anyone who can **** out of a grab, will do so against roy.

Sorry, but you're not going to prove that, because its just not true. Instead of getting easier for you when you/your opponents get at a higher level of play, it'll get harder, because theres just so little roy can do, and so much that every other char can do to him. Neo, who has played this game for god knows how long (is it something like 5-6 years now?), agrees that roy is a horrible character. There's just too little to bring out in him compared to pretty much all other chars, let alone the high tiers.
well, i dunno man. see neo has his playing style, i have mine. dont get me wrong, cuz i know that hes good as ****, but he has his style. in smash there are just so many ways to approach your opponent, that its hard to just say one style(neo in this case) beats em all. besides, im not just gonna give up cuz he did. i can do it, using my own style:cool:

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Please tell me you're not Syko from FL. Because >_<

And I play Roy cause he's more fun than marth. Plus I get sick to my stomach when I use marth for more than a few matches in a row.

5150, you might think Peach is easier to play than marth, but it is certainly easier to win with marth than peach.
At least we agree that fox and falco are "no mindgames necessary" characters. **** them.

Oh and ANYONE can get tech skill. Man when are people going to stop respecting something that's accessible to everyone? Play the Spacies Technically is NOT impressive. Y'all need to get over your nooby awestruck PRETTY BLUE HEXAGON selves and learn to play the **** game. Drephen and Azen are amazing.

As for Seth's post.
Roy falls into as many grab combos as marth does. Sheik and Ganon and Icys might be a little worse. Against DK, Roy can jump out after the first uair. Against marth, again roy can generally jump out after the first utilt. Doc and Mario both have disgusting uair combos on everyone from peach to falco. Roy is no exception.

Fox get's uthrow to uair x 3 on marth too. 0-60+. Oh and since not everyone is doing it yet, Roy is one of the easier characters to smash DI out of the uairs with. Marth is hard. Roy gets out of 0-60s and (that specific) death combo much easier than marth does.

Again, Roy isn't the only one that gets hit by that Marth lameness. I believe the fact that fthrow chain is ALL marth has is quite the blessing for our hero Roy.

CF can't CG roy unless you forgot to DI away. Roy has to tech the dthrow from 0-5%ish, then he can fair before CF gets any decent followups. Just like Marth. Except Marth actually does get CGed from 0-20. Both of them can get out of dthrow combos up til the knee kills. Uthrow doesn't combo unless you can't DI. And even if you do mess up and DI the throw wrong (1 get better reaction time), you can always smash DI out of any nair combo CF throws your way.

But yeah I agree Roy is super easy to combo and one of the top 3 things i wish for Roy is that he had Jiggs and Samus' stun time. <3 Seth

Yeah Roy sucks. Like I said, I just play him cause he's fun.
And probably the sexiest character in smash brothers.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sheiks grab game is alot worse off for roy than for marth. Its like roy was designed to be the perfect weight to get chaingrabbed by her. I dunno if the slight DI away -> heavy DI away the ftilt will you get you out of a follow up fair like it will marth, didn't start doing that till i switched.

For fox...yeah, marth does eat the upthrow -> uair spam harder than roy does. And again, i didn't start doing the smash DI out of uair trick till i switched to marth, so i'll take you word for it that its easier with roy. Also, if you DI fox's upthrow towards him if he grabs you at 0-10%ish he can nair -> combo or regrab.

For marth, after he gets the uptilt and you jump out, he can still chase and combo with fair/bair, and then you've lost your jump....

And yeah, you can jump after the first uair of Dk's...but the good dks that i've played always jump before releasing the cargo upthrow -> uair, so that they can land an then chase your jump. Feel free to prove me wrong on this, but i really think that if the DK does it right roy can't escape the cargo ****.

For Capt...its not quite his combos or chaingrab (which like you mentioned, can be easily DI'd out of) that really hurts, its that after somewhere around 25%, he gets a free knee anytime he grabs you, no matter if you DI correctly or not. (Although thats probably true for marth too, eh?)

Haha, check us out, we're having an intelligent discussion in the roy forums.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
who cares how fast he can fast fall, he cant put out as many moves as marth can. marth is faster. GET OVER IT.

you obviously haven't been to a tournament. go to a tournament please and then say fox isn't "cheap" rofl.
roy can put out twice as many aerial moves as marth in the same amount of time. are you kidding? its a well known fact that roy shffls much faster than marth, just wtf are you talking about? i'm not saying roy is better because of that, i'm just stating a fact about the game that appeals to me. Fast falling faster = faster shffls. Thats the reason Falco and Fox shffl so well, because they fall fast.

if a noob picks up fox he's going to get his *** whipped.
it takes significantly more skill to play fox than any other character.
if you HAVE more skill than your opponent you should win.
if you have mastered Fox, you probably have more skill than your opponent.

Neither Marth nor Roy are easy character to win matches with. Marth is probably easier to win with, because he has more killing moves and insane grab capability. But there is no tellling how much potential the characters have. Again, look at Neo's roy. Neo figured out how to make Roy work. Neo can and has beaten some of the best Foxes, Falcos, Marth's and everythign else WITH ROY. So obviously Roy has potential. it just takes more skill to reach his potential. The potential is there though.

Marth takes less skill to play than Roy does, but they have about equal ultimate potential most likely. Listing Roy's drawbacks isn't proving anything, every character has a long list of drawbacks and disadvantages.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Fox does NOT take more skill than almost any of the other characters. Fox requires pushing buttons and that's about it. With other characters the player has to THINK to win. Thinking is harder than pushing buttons.

And Grabs:
so we all know sheik and icys **** roy. Stupid CG. Any Idea when those start and end? I don't know. But you shouldn't be playing Roy against sheik except on FoD anyways. And that's only if you're crazy. Ganon's grab is a little easier to avoid, and the CG is a little harder to do, so I don't think he's that bad for Roy.

lol the uthrow nair chain peeves me off when i'm playing against fox. Course Roy can jump out before Fox gets any followups when uthrown at 0.

Yes, marth and DK can still chase you. So basically, use your airdodge (or counter x.x) well or die.

Capt doesn't have grab combos till much later against roy and marth. Both can fair him before he gets to you if you DI away. Scariest thing for either of them is getting stomped or overb'ed. That's when CF can rip you a new one.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Just going to point out a few things...this is coming from a Fox player...er, former Fox player, btw.

if a noob picks up fox he's going to get his *** whipped.
if a noob picks up any character, he's going to get his *** whipped...what's your point? Here's mine...give that noob a month or so of playing a few hours a day against cpus or in training mode, learning to be incredibly fast and gay, and he'll rise up the tourney list faster than any other character, except perhaps...perhaps sheik or falco... It's not that hard to be good with Fox...

it takes significantly more skill to play fox than any other character.
that's complete B.S... That kind of comment is only excusable if you are talking only about tech skill...if so, then perhaps you're right...again, Falco might take the cake on this one, but who cares anyways? As far as actual skill to play melee...Fox is a joke. Any noob with a couple months free can learn to abuse Fox's gayness and speed without that much effort...You don't have to know mindgames, really...you don't have to know anything except your own tech skill...

if you HAVE more skill than your opponent you should win.
um...character matchups do factor in...if I, as a link player, have more skill than a sheik player...that doesn't change the fact that sheik can cg death combo me...without that much effort or skill...

if you have mastered Fox, you probably have more skill than your opponent.
Again, complete B.S... Fox takes no amount of thinking to be "good" with him...now, you did leave yourself a back door here by saying "if you have mastered Fox"...and since nobody can master any character...we'll never know. good choice of words there, Freud.

Neither Marth nor Roy are easy character to win matches with. .
Are you kidding me? I mean, seriously, is this ken or somebody with a joke account?... because you are making yourself out to be an utter fool. Marth is incredibly easy to win matches with, and anybody who disagrees apparently doesn't know fair's priority and range, and they haven't discovered the c-stick or z button yet. To say he isn't an easy character is ludicrous...complete garbage.

To say that Roy can aerial faster also doesn't take into consideration that marth can do two aerials in one SH...therefore, he is faster overall...Roy FFs better...that's great...marth doesn't even try to FF most of the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom