• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheers Love, The Cavalry's Here! (Tracer Support Thread)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Huh, so.

How about those boycotts, huh?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Just wanted to stop by and speculate that Tracer may very well have been planned to be DLC pack #5 (and may yet be) but Blizzard's handling of Blitzchung's statements caused Nintendo to, at the very least, put a pin in the whole thing for the time being.

Overwatch's arrival on Switch had a metric TON of publicity behind it. Not only was Blizzard hyping it as a huge deal but there was an entire event planned at the Nintendo world store in NY where the voice actors of some of the OW characters would be on hand for the launch to sign autographs, meet fans, etc., but all of this had the plug pulled on it when the debacle happened.

I'm not sure if this means Nintendo would therefore NEVER want to collaborate with Blizzard for Tracer's inclusion or if the possibility would arise at a later time after the controversy has died down. All I can speculate is that this was an awful lot of publicity and effort for just the launch of OW on the Switch, and I wouldn't be surprised if Tracer's reveal trailer was going to drop at the Nintendo store that same night.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Kinda doubt that they planned her this far ahead, otherwise this would mean that we gotta wait a few months for the next character reveal to happen, even though the VGAs would be the perfect place to reveal the next character.

Besides, the whole hype over Tracer possibly showing up in Smash mostly just started when a fake leaker took advantage of the OW Switch case teaser.

Also, Sakurai doesn't really seem to care about the console wars, or any other type of controversies, otherwise we wouldn't get Konami characters simply because of things being sour between Konami, their fans, and Kojima's departure. The closest thing we got is worrying about there being too many Fire Emblem characters added at once.

Finally, seeing as Verge said Crash wouldn't be FP5, I doubt this means Tracer would have been currently planned either, seeing as they're under the same company umbrella, and it's obvious that Crash would be picked first.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Recently watched some cutscenes and gameplay videos of Overwatch, and it looks like a VERY fun and quirky shooter with a very diverse cast. Each playable character has his/her own unique abilities, backstories, and personalities. It's always fun to see a bunch of different heroes, villains, and antiheroes with their own personal stakes collide. I understand now why this series is so popular. Ergo, I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an Overwatch character in Smash.

That all said, though, while it may be true that the world could use more heroes (everybody's a hero to somebody, and vice versa), Smash itself could use more villains and antiheroes. Ergo, if we did get an Overwatch character, Ashe is mine personal pick. I REALLY like her character and backstory, and her western steampunk look. For all her ruthlessness, she appreciates loyalty and respects others' boundaries, and seems to have a "do unto others" mentality. I've always liked characters with dark personalites; since they have such troubled backgrounds, naturally they're much more interesting to learn about than the typical cheesy do-gooder. I could see Ashe having a speedy, camping-based, guns-blazing type of fighting style where she can quickly rack up damage and move in for the kill, but as a price can get sent flying easily herself if she's not careful. With her, getting the first hit would be everything.

Overall, like Halo, Overwatch looks like a very unique shooter with a deep plotline and a unique concept. It must be pretty good, for Gamespot to give it a 9/10. I might actually invest in this game, now that I know it's on the Switch.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Very relevant to this thread. There was an interesting leak :)

The post was removed, so here's what it sayd:

By Slayersfan on Gamefaqs
"I don't post as often as others but for those that ever read anything I wrote, I don't lie to people. I am not going to say how, but this morning I have inside information about the next fighter.

I personally hate when many leakers pretend they know who is coming out next, and instead of telling you guys, they just do these stupid vague hints or riddles so they can cover their butts. Not me, I'm going to spell it out for you, so you can bookmark this if you want.

The next fighter is Tracer, one of the lead heroes in the game Overwatch. It's a first person shooter by the Blizzard company, came out in 2016. They signed the contract the Nintendo in the early months of this year, finalizing other things for OW took longer because of COVID.

Tracer plays like a fast agile fighter. She has every move from her game, so shooting her pulse pistols, blink and recall. They all basically play out the same as in OW. Her pulse bomb is the final smash, and also shows a few cameos from her team when it's executed.

The reveal video shows almost the entire cast of current Overwatch playable characters, and towards the end we see Tracer recieving the Smash envelope digitally on her computer screen at the OW operations base.

That's everything right now. Also if anyone cares, in Overwatch they have a character named Orisa who I leaked two upcoming skins for that were released in 2019 (the Chinese dragon skin and her Demon halloween one). "

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
After the reveal of Sephiroth, I think Tracer has the possibility of being another wildcard of a fighter. I support her inclusion if she gets confirmed for Smash Bros.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey is it true that in the Japanese version of Overwatch, Zenyatta was renamed to Oingo? Zenyatta_portrait.png

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
I support completely! I've always thought Overwatch was a pretty fun game, and Tracer just so happens to be the mascot of said fun game. Not very good at it, but it's fun. Always wondered why she gets hate as a Smash pick though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm incredibly shocked that Tracer has only 2 pages of support.

Having now played Overwatch, I really...really like the game. It isn't generally a genre I would like, as most games I have played of the genre are full of dull, human characters.
This game has some STRONG characterization, and I'm all for it.

I'd also love some Queer representation in Smash.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm incredibly shocked that Tracer has only 2 pages of support.

Having now played Overwatch, I really...really like the game. It isn't generally a genre I would like, as most games I have played of the genre are full of dull, human characters.
This game has some STRONG characterization, and I'm all for it.

I'd also love some Queer representation in Smash.
I think it's more that people want other FPS reps in Smash first. Characters such as Doomguy, Gordon Freeman, Master Chief, and the Heavy Weapons Guy.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Count me in.
She's a dark horse pick IMO, one of the biggest gaming characters of the 2010s easily, an FPS rep that imo would be easy to implement in terms of "oh no too violent" or "rated m series oh no".
Female, too, we could use more of those.
I don't have a definitive most wanted but she's up there for me : )

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Representation is not all that matters, but it would be impactful to include a character openly known as being queer.

Top Bottom