• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cheapest character in the game

Sir Auron

Smash Cadet
Personally, my favorite unfavorite characters because of their cheapness (if that is a word) would probably go to either Lucas, or Toon Link. I do have to say that Lucas has a lot working for him...a little more than he should have. And Toon Link's down A attack is like getting roundhoused by Chuck Norris...a ridiculous metaphor I know, but still....

rove

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Pit is, when im going against a person hes fine, but on lvl 9, hes an *** hole...

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Yea, this definitly needs to be stickied.:bee:

Also, this thread should be retitled to "Which characters do us noobs get wrecked by the most?":p

We competitive players have at least two different words that we use in place of cheap:

1)Campy - A character is campy if they fight best from a distance. Also known as "Cheap with projectiles" to newer players.

A player is campy if they mainly run away and use projectiles, or if they sit at the ledge, and wait for you to approach before you attack

2)Broken - A character is broken if it has a clear advantage over every other character.

A move is considered broken if it's exceptionally powerful or useful, with little disadvantage to repeated use.

If a pro player calls another pro player broken, it's just a joke that means they're too good.

------

So if any of this is making sense to you newer players who use "cheap" a lot, here's a breakdown, *just incase* you want to start improving your vocabulary and sounding more like the pros.

Campy - you can use this to describe someone you find "cheap" if they run away all the time and use tons of projectiles, and never give you the opportunity to get in close. You can also use it to describe someone who hangs from the ledge and repeatedly drops down and recovers, while waiting for you to approach.

Broken - give characters credit where credit is due. If you know you're better than your opponent, and they are winning anyway in a way that frustrates you, call their character broken. Don't call them cheap. That doesn't solve anything. :)

I'm not saying anyone HAS to stop calling things cheap, or that I care very much if they do. These are just some other options that better players use to sound... better. ;)

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Yea, this definitly needs to be stickied.:bee:

Also, this thread should be retitled to "Which characters do us noobs get wrecked by the most?":p

We competitive players have at least two different words that we use in place of cheap:

1)Campy - A character is campy if they fight best from a distance. Also known as "Cheap with projectiles" to newer players.

A player is campy if they mainly run away and use projectiles, or if they sit at the ledge, and wait for you to approach before you attack

2)Broken - A character is broken if it has a clear advantage over every other character.

A move is considered broken if it's exceptionally powerful or useful, with little disadvantage to repeated use.

If a pro player calls another pro player broken, it's just a joke that means they're too good.

------

So if any of this is making sense to you newer players who use "cheap" a lot, here's a breakdown, *just incase* you want to start improving your vocabulary and sounding more like the pros.

Campy - you can use this to describe someone you find "cheap" if they run away all the time and use tons of projectiles, and never give you the opportunity to get in close. You can also use it to describe someone who hangs from the ledge and repeatedly drops down and recovers, while waiting for you to approach.

Broken - give characters credit where credit is due. If you know you're better than your opponent, and they are winning anyway in a way that frustrates you, call their character broken. Don't call them cheap. That doesn't solve anything. :)

I'm not saying anyone HAS to stop calling things cheap, or that I care very much if they do. These are just some other options that better players use to sound... better. ;)
That post was....unneccsary.

People use cheap as a general term to describe pratcially everything you listed. Whether or not you can beat the opponent has nothing to do with cheapness, by the way.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
pit and pika ( only when he uses thunder a lot *cough* cpu pika cough*.

meta to as he gives easy damage especially in team brawl my brother and friend first comtinuesly damage me with him then KO with another.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
OK so let's get this straight.
I don't think any pros should be saying that Pit is cheap.
He is just very annoying is all. There isn't much cheap to him.
And wtf best recovery in the game? WAY far from it as a matter of fact.
You can gimp it way too easily.

And saying Ike or Link or some crap is cheap is just hilarious lol.
N00b characters are not cheap. They are just n00b characters, and that is all.

I think that this game is way more balanced than it's predecessors.
The closest character to being "cheap" is definitely Marth.
I don't see anyone else coming even close just yet...

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Personally, my favorite unfavorite characters because of their cheapness (if that is a word) would probably go to either Lucas, or Toon Link. I do have to say that Lucas has a lot working for him...a little more than he should have. And Toon Link's down A attack is like getting roundhoused by Chuck Norris...a ridiculous metaphor I know, but still....
You can abuse a Toon Link that down airs too much. Kinda like Kirby with Brick or Ike with Aether.

TICO

Smash Cadet
olimar/pit/wolf
-but wolf players usually kill themselves due to his awful up b.
-olimar is so repeditive, every move is basically the same. very hard to read olimar
- pit, this nancy boy has gay arrows, two things that reflect and an up b that can fly a hell of a long way.

alexchia

Smash Rookie
OK so let's get this straight.
I don't think any pros should be saying that Pit is cheap.
He is just very annoying is all. There isn't much cheap to him.
And wtf best recovery in the game? WAY far from it as a matter of fact.
You can gimp it way too easily.

And saying Ike or Link or some crap is cheap is just hilarious lol.
N00b characters are not cheap. They are just n00b characters, and that is all.

I think that this game is way more balanced than it's predecessors.
The closest character to being "cheap" is definitely Marth.
I don't see anyone else coming even close just yet...
In some way agree with you man. Marth is a cheap character in the game because he can like gimp you.

I'd say Diddy Kong is the cheapest character, and I'm not talking about CPU's im talking about other players who play Diddy Kong. Seriously his bananas and peanutsare really annoying and his forward B can turn into an unexpected kick.

MeleeFan25

Smash Cadet
cheapest character has got to be pit. even though pit seems weak, he has best recovery and to top it off has the most deflectors in the game

Wosie the Slothful

Smash Rookie
When I was new to this game, it feels like quite a while ago now, I soon noticed that Pit was becoming one of my absolute favourite characters. But I somehow felt bad when playing as him, it seemed... too easy to win. At least it felt that way. My bf seldom won against me when I played as Pit, which made me think he (Pit) fitted me the best in terms of playing. Afterwards I found out just how many other Brawl-players thought he was cheap and annoying and that influenced how I felt about him somewhat. I abandoned him a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I agree, he seems too easy to use, and if you've got button-mashy fingers (like me), he's a little tyrant.
I was wondering about Wolf too, being quick as well as strong... but I don't know if I'd call him cheap.
Many people seem to think that Olimar's right up there in the top league of cheapness... hmm, guess I haven't used him well enough, I suck with him. ^^;;

Edit: Had to change a phrase that makes perfect sense in Swedish but sounds a bit perverted in English. ><

Corigames

Smash Hero
Pit. Cancels whatever he wants. Has much more range and priority than he should. Easy recovery. Fast.
You've never seen Pit being played have you? I think you just made an assumption based off of everyone's posts and then formulated some cool words that make you sound professional.

Pits aerials lag when they hit the ground. They most certainly do not cancel in the speed that a lot of characters do. He has no range. Everything but his arrow extends, at max, to punching distance. Jigglypuffs kick has more range than his sword. He has little priority. Aside from his glide attack, any of his attacks can be canceld out by another move, unless that move is a projectile. In which case, the move is reflected. If you, however, punch the angel ring, you can hit right through it, and the down B only works a partial amount of time.

His recovery is long because you use the majority of it to stay away from attacks, because, the second you get hit, you are dead. His Up B doesn't get returned if he is hit. He is fast... at what? Attack speed, running speed, cool down time...? what? Fast is so general. Too vague. He can run alright, but isn't that fast. His moves are quick, but they have some cool down to them

I'm waiting for someone to tell me that ONE thing that makes him broken, because I haven't heard a good one yet. It's just the same thing over and over again. The arrows, the angel ring, the recovery, the reflectors, etc., etc.! All these things aren't cheap. Give better reasons. And saying the same thing ten times will not change my mind unless you give me a reason WHY it is cheap.

theJollity

Smash Rookie
There are no cheap characters, just cheap players. It seems like most of you are basing the "cheapness" of a character on the spamability of their attacks, but if you think about it, it's entirely up to the player whether or not he spams you with that attack. No cheap characters... just cheap players.

Pit's just annoying as hell... if he were cheap any button-mashing fool would be able to beat down more experienced SSB players with him, but I've seen people who truly suck at Pit.

bnestman

Smash Cadet
You've never seen Pit being played have you? I think you just made an assumption based off of everyone's posts and then formulated some cool words that make you sound professional.

Pits aerials lag when they hit the ground. They most certainly do not cancel in the speed that a lot of characters do. He has no range. Everything but his arrow extends, at max, to punching distance. Jigglypuffs kick has more range than his sword. He has little priority. Aside from his glide attack, any of his attacks can be canceld out by another move, unless that move is a projectile. In which case, the move is reflected. If you, however, punch the angel ring, you can hit right through it, and the down B only works a partial amount of time.

His recovery is long because you use the majority of it to stay away from attacks, because, the second you get hit, you are dead. His Up B doesn't get returned if he is hit. He is fast... at what? Attack speed, running speed, cool down time...? what? Fast is so general. Too vague. He can run alright, but isn't that fast. His moves are quick, but they have some cool down to them

I'm waiting for someone to tell me that ONE thing that makes him broken, because I haven't heard a good one yet. It's just the same thing over and over again. The arrows, the angel ring, the recovery, the reflectors, etc., etc.! All these things aren't cheap. Give better reasons. And saying the same thing ten times will not change my mind unless you give me a reason WHY it is cheap.
/agreed could not have said it better myself. I think Brawl is a very well rounded and balanced game. Especially when compared to melee.

Corigames

Smash Hero
/agreed could not have said it better myself. I think Brawl is a very well rounded and balanced game. Especially when compared to melee.
Though I thank you for agreeing with me, I am not on the same level as you. I find melee to be a much better, more balanced, more rounded game. I think Brawl is the runt of the litter, and my feelings go out to all those who don't know or understand how bad, in comparison, Brawl truly is.

bnestman

Smash Cadet
Yup totally not on the same level. Played all three games in the series so far and I think brawl takes the cake. It's got flaws but also alot of pros. Also theres a reason the wii is backward compatible with gamecube games...

Corigames

Smash Hero
It's got flaws but also alot of pros. Also theres a reason the wii is backward compatible with gamecube games...
Are you insinuating that they expected Brawl to be bad, so they left the option to play GC games open so that people can play melee?

bnestman

Smash Cadet
Nah im just saying that they made the wii backwards compatible so if people are unhappy with brawl then they should make use of that feature.

Corigames

Smash Hero
While that feature definitely is used, at least by my and our school's Wii, I have some hope in Brawl. But don't expect me to write a love poem to Sakurai or anything, I have yet to be impressed.

Corigames

Smash Hero
And melee has... you know what? Let's not get into that because there would be a lot of these "*" and a lot of senseless Brawl bashing. I'm done here until someone can give an irrefutable reason as to why Pit is cheap.

Nintendinator

Smash Cadet
I say if your a Falco professional then he is cheap because of that tactic were u kick someone in the 3 or 4 times then use your gun then u can move until Falco stops using the gun.

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
The cheapest character is Captain Falcon.
Insane range, insane priority, broken power, easily the best recovery, and his idiotic attack speed just lets him endlessly spam his cheap moves!

On a serious note: Snake or Meta Knight. Snake, you can just spam his tilts until you win (exaggeration), has projectiles, has a good (albeit damaging) recovery with C4, and his insane dash attack. Meta Knight... Look at my joke reasons for C. Falcon. :ohwell:

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
Character wise I would say Pit, players seem to just spam his annoying multi-hit moves :ohwell:
Also some moves I find cheap when spammed are pikachu's dspecial. Its a little annoying to be caught in a triple thunder to be knocked off so easily :(

Thestlos

Smash Rookie
Snake is major cheapness...But I still use him...I play to win, and I use the best characters..

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
Snake and meta knight.

Snakes F-tilt does 21 damage which is MORE than a F-Smash of almost every character. It comes out amazingly fast, GREAT knock back, can kill, good priority, and ridiculous range. enough said.

Meta Knight is the character with the least lag in his attack in the game so its easy for him to spam F-air ,AAA, Shuttle loop. It's hard to punish him cuz of his near instant attacks that dont lag.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Sonic is cheap.
You can win by just pressing B and nothing else. B B B B B B B literally, and you win. You don't even have to move the control stick.

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
cant you just block sonics B... Also snake has the fastest means of travel with Snake dashing, which totally negates his slow movement speed.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon. His knee has too much knock back and his down air kick thingy is cheap too, when i get hit I cant move.

Top Bottom