• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charity Tourney possibility. Need to know if theres interest

Lagoon

Smash Rookie
For starters, nothing here is official yet, I'm simply trying to see if there's interest. Please bump this post somewhere more suitable if necessary, I'm new here.

I'm interested in starting a biweekly Melee tournament for an not yet chosen charity in the Columbus (more specifically, OSU) area. It would likely start as just Singles, with a 10 dollar admittance fee($5 designated to charity.) Although I love the game, I've never really been into the competitive melee scene, so I'd likely have to do some research on standard rules.

Most importantly though, for now, I just want to know how many people would be interested in attending this, and if so, would they be willing to attend it semi-regularly.

*Time isn't really set in stone yet, I'm mostly feeling it out right now"

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I'd be down for it. Although there is a tournament the week before this, which has most of the Ohio Melee scene going, so I'd suggest waiting sometime later on for more attendees. My $.02

:phone:

Lagoon

Smash Rookie
Good to know, I haven't really planned on specific time yet though as I'm not sure if I can get it to happen or not yet.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
i can def get people for this, there are a ton of osu guys that play melee pretty consistently, but do u have a venue

Lagoon

Smash Rookie
Well honestly, I'm doing all this just wanting to play some melee. A small event sparked my interest and now i'm balls deep trying to set things up. Like I said before though, I'm new, not just to smashboards though, but the entire idea of things. I've recently contacted Ohio Smash Initiative, a club who've hosted tournaments that have been advertised here on the boards before, as well as an organization that puts on events for local nonprofits using Ohio States resources that could help supply space, food, and even donations from local companies. Hopefully I can figure things out a lot easier now. Nothing might be official until Spring but I'm definitely pretty set on making some sort of tournament happen by around then. It being semi-regular is still wishful thinking though. I'll update with more info as I go on.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
We know of OSI. I think Abu won the last OSI with Jiggz. I think that's it's great that someone's trying to step up as a new TO. It might start back up the Columbus melee scene and give a kick to the *** of the Cbus smash scene in general.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I'd be down for a crew battle if this tourney happens. I'd be able to rustle up a couple of guys for this as well.
Edit: Abu, how many OSU guys could you get to this?

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
u guys realize this doesnt exist right... theres no venue or anything its just a guy who wants a tournament

Lagoon

Smash Rookie
Well I joined OSI recently and it seems we will host a couple tourneys this spring. We'll likely post official information as spring comes around. So keep your interest til then.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
It would be great if we could start up Columbus biweeklies, but I'm with Abu on this; it seems that there might be an issue with finding a venue. If you manage to find somewhere though, I'd be 100% behind it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hmm I'm less likely to go due to the tourney on the 10th...
probably won't have much money left, and since this doesn't even have a venue or anything.... uhm... yea.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I would go to that... but its really far from me...
And Melee is just a side tourney, so not sure if its worth it.

Its also the day after my birthday, so I'll probably be busy...

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
VaNs and some of NEOH melee was considering coming, especially if Pittsburgh is (and they are). NEOH Brawl always has a good amount of people that come down to Athens too. Free housing, etc, etc. A lot of Brawl people also play Melee and you're going to get more than "just Melee" stuff there. Also, if we can get enough people to confirm it will be a main event with a 50$ pot bonus compared to the 10% that a side already gets. We just gotta work together. WV is possibly on deck if we can get more people, PA is coming. NEOH is most likely scoping out if more people can come. I talked to Juggleguy and he pretty much said that MI Melee is looking to see if Ohio is actually alive before beginning to travel down here again, too.

Columbus travels pretty poorly for Melee, but I could probably convince Frozenflame (2 maybe), Mystic's group (3) and Master WGS (1-3) to come down too and this again is a venue that's ~1.5 hours away and a straight shot (Route 33). People just have to talk to each other. Gotta start somewhere.

Also, for C_Ferris: Technically we do have a weekly, but I certainly don't feel like a bi-weekly (by god make it on a weekend, please) at OSU hosted in a dorm or something would be a bad thing. It's really weird that at OU this was a consistent thing and at a place much bigger with younger (relatively) smashers like at UMich that this can't happen. Oh, I guess technically OSI hosts something on Friday nights I think.

People just have to want to host.

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
OSI doesnt host anything but i have a facebook group for columbus melee that i can add any1 to who wants to go to columbus smashfests

xFumbles

Smash Apprentice
im like 60 miles away and i probably cant get a ride and convince my parents to hang around for almost a day to watch me play a game but hey, its possible.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hey add me to the columbus group :D

I might be able to come down a bit over summer or something, bringing friends and such.

also I just like talking to people :3

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
for anyone who wants to join the melee group for columbus smashfests, text me ur name and ill add u on fb, 248 875 6735 is my #

Top Bottom