• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you're terrible as and can't seem to improve with them?

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much what the title says, what are those characters that no matter how much you play with them, you just seem to always be terrible with?

For me it would probably be:

• Olimar
  • Mega Man

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sonic. Love the lad, but he's too fast for me.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the characters that I never want to play : Sonic the cancer, Megaman (I love you buddy but in that game you s**ks) and BowserJr.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Olimar, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Sonic, Robin.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Generic answer, but Mega Man. I really wanted to use that guy since I first saw his reveal trailer, but he's just way too unorthodox for me to get anything done with him. Not gonna lie, it makes me feel like a bit of a fraud from time to time.

Hell, I might as well put any low-tier character here while I'm at it. Dedede, Charizard, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt... tried 'em all, but their weakness got the better of me and I lost interest pretty quickly. Guess I'm doomed to the "tier *****" life after all.

Garbage Cat

Smash Rookie
I've never found Mega Man to be difficult to play as, but I especially have trouble with Robin and Rosalina. I guess I'm used to constantly using specials with Ness and Zelda, because I find myself constantly losing access to Robin's tomes and sword, and I guess I'm not bad with Rosalina, but I'm definitely am not good with her. I suck at effectively using Luma, so it ends up dying quickly.

Olimar's playstyle is also hard for me to get used to, but I'm slowly getting better with him at least.

Last edited:

Demon Chu

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
5624-7472-7800
For me it has to be Robin something about them is hard for me to understand idk

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
All of them. Just kidding but I'm god awful with C. Falcon, of all characters (too slippery, same goes for similar rushdown type characters like Fox) and pretty terrible with any projectile characters.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
For me, it’s Palutena. I tried picking her up in the later days of Smash 4, but the results were not that great.
Although I do like the buffs she’s received in Ultimate, so I try to play her more often.

As a Bowser Jr main, I can confirm that he’s indeed a very difficult character to get used to. But he can be a very satisfying character to play once you know what you’re doing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pikachu, Sheik, Fox.

I can control them decently, but if I truly want to be 'good' with them, I would need to sacrifise time invested in my other characters and I just don't wanna do that.

This is only the characters I WANT to play as btw.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Wario comes to mind quickly as a character I've never been able to get right for some reason.

Last edited:

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Wario comes to mind quickly as a character I've never been able to get right for some reason.
I'm actually pretty bad with him myself, I cannot, for the life of me, control his motorcycle without traveling off the stage.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Only one I can really think of is Olimar. There's plenty of others I'm terrible at but I do at least improve with them, mainly due to at least a glimmer of interest.

Guess the only reason I can even play my main is because of character loyalty, because he is traaaaash.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Link I know all his moves and hidden techniques, just can’t execute combos what fallow, also can’t seem to kill

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Mega Man is very hard to do decently with, as much as I love characters with a lot of projectiles, he's just a bit too hard to use.
Bowser Jr. is one of my favorites since his fighting style is extremely fun to use, but he really needs a few buffs to do good in Ultimate.
Back during the early days of Sm4sh, I tried to pick up Lucina as a secondary since I figured that it would be a good idea to learn how to play as somebody like Marth, but back then Marth and Lucina were terrible, and I didn't really play the game seriously all that much, so my efforts were moot.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Speedy characters and those with complicated movesets and techniques frustrate me, and that includes those with many combos that are also complicated. Honorable mentions to Ness for that blasted recovery.

Last edited:

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Guess the only reason I can even play my main is because of character loyalty, because he is traaaaash.
Me and Jigglypuff's relationship, even though she's bad, I can't just leave her like that! She's too cute!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ryu and Shulk, I really like them but just can not seem to get a good hold of effectively using their movesets.

Sheik, Sonic, Meta Knight: I can rack up % easily but struggle to KO even at high %

Megaman: i'm a big fan of the serie but i can't understand how to be efficient while playing him in sm4sh.

Last edited:

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Any super fast, combo-heavy characters like Sheik, ZSS, Bayonetta etc. The fastest I can handle is Marth.
I'm also really bad with fighters with unorthodox movesets like Olimar and Mega Man.
I'll stick with swordsmen/ heavy hitters XD

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
I play almost every character to some degree of fidelity. I guess I would say :ultsonic: because i have not played him since Brawl and I refuse to ever touch him. If i random him I restart or SD as I would rather lose then taint my soul with the residue of the disgusting filth that is :ultsonic:.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Pikachu and Ice Climbers, I just can't get the hang of them as much as I want to.

Wendy is an interesting case where I can handle using her but the move set isn't that effective.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Luigi, Ice Climbers, Mega Man, Ryu, Sonic, Simon and Richter Belmont, and some others that I can't remember. All of them have one thing in common. Their movements are awkward. Well, the Belmont's, I can't even recover properly with them, nor can I space well enough with them, because my opponent has better projectile, and their whips seem waaay too thin that I feel like even though I use fair/bair, they just don't seem to connect properly.

Phosphophyllite

Smash Cadet
I'd love to seriously play :ultrobin: and :ultwario: sometime, but I can never quite get the grasp of them. I could play :ultwario: decently in Brawl, but they never clicked for me in Smash 4 or Ultimate. There's also :ultpacman: and :ultwiifittrainer: who I can play decently, but not nearly competently enough to consider myself "Good" with them.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now Ultimate is out: Daisy. Weirdly I'm pretty good with Peach, but the second I pick Daisy I get destroyed...?

I still suck with Wario despite my efforts for three games now. Shame, I love the character.

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
Mr. Game & Watch. While I like him, he’s weak when you play competitively. I mean, his Netural B is my least favorite attack from him. And Down B is just weird.

Top Bottom