• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you rarely see played well

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I may not be the best player, but even I know that the effort most Pac Man and Robin players put in is pathetic at best. You can only get some far dropping Hydrants/throwing Thorons at me, pals!

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I believe I posted in this thread before a few months back or so. I think I may have more to add to the list, or rather "Update it".

:4duckhunt: Duck Hunt
It's extremely rare for me to find a Duck Hunt player online in just about any mode. When I do though, I feel like some want to use him just to be annoying. I understand he's a great long distance character and all, but most just throw out his attacks at random. Spamming isn't even the problem, it's just them throwing out random attacks left and right. I can not even be near them and here they are using just about all of his B specials and attempting to not even approach. Some even end up forgetting about the can completely.

When used they'll hit the can once or twice. That's it. It's just sitting there now like forgotten litter. I guess what I'm really trying to say is most Duck Hunts that I do manage to find online never use his specials to their advantage. They just hope that somehow it'll work.

:4zelda: Zelda
Another rare character that I come across, but boy when I do... I'm not the greatest Zelda main myself but I still get a strong feeling of disappointment when I see a Zelda trying to land teleports constantly and don't even use their Phantoms. It's like their Down B is completely forgotten and they assume I don't know how to shield Dins Fire or Faores Wind. They'll try it constantly in hopes they'll hit.

Please plan out your attacks as Zelda. A lot of them are easy to punish when they fail.

:4rob: ROB
I love ROB so much. He's the best main I have tied with King Dedede. I honestly cannot help but get a little saddened when I encounter roll happy ROBs that basically do nothing but Laser and Gyro. Yes, they're really good attacks but please for all that is holy do something else other than that. ROB has some great Combos and his Gyro is perfect for edge guarding when used just right. I mean, how can you not want to snipe-shot a recovering Ganondorf/Ike/Captain Falcon with it and watch them fall to their deaths? It's absolutely great.

Also don't forget you can pick up the Gyro and throw it. Don't shoot it out and forget it. Please. I don't need more disappointment in my life.

:4robinm:/:4robinf: Robin
I'm positively begging you here. I suck as Robin myself and don't really enjoy playing as them too much, but please don't try to spam their spells. Spamming with Robin is not the best idea in the world. You can use more than just Thoron. Stop trying to charge it up to just that one. Most I face are also very roll happy. Their shields normally do not exist to them. Rolly Polly Robins as far as the eye can see...

Last edited:
In order of the least skilled from my observations.
1 :4shulk:Shulks: forward smashing and yelling "Back Slash" even off stage like there is no tomorrow.
2 :4sonic:Sonics: spin here, spin there, run around, and spring away hoping to hit you.
3 :4charizard:Charizards: the ones that have been flare-blitzing since they came out of the womb. Lol

SFC Goat

Smash Rookie
NNID
koroshiya72
3DS FC
4227-1995-9268
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Sheik mainly because I've been so spoiled with the efforts of ZeRo in big tournament settings that my standards for what makes a Sheik well played is through the roof.

Needless to say, I'll probably never main her because of these expectations.

D

Deleted member

:4cloud: Well... I don't see any of them anywhere. That must means there can't be any good ones!

:troll:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
A good:4fox:is absolutely frightening to fight against but most of the time is just lasers from afar and trying to jab out of anything,

:4megaman: The ones that utilizes his whole arsenal and glide tossing are enjoyable matches...to bad half the time there shooting lemons at me.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
:4littlemac:......do I even need to say it?

:4falcon: It's rare to find a Cfalc who knows to not use his specials in neutral.

:4shulk:No one online can seem to multitask the Monado the way Shulks's kit needs.

However, this isn't to say I don't know people who play these characters well, because I do. There's a Mac who is top 8 in Louisiana PR, and a Falcon in top 20. It's just online that you never ever see it.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
:4cloud: Well... I don't see any of them anywhere. That must means there can't be any good ones!

It's coming. I can already see the endless ocean FF7 fanboys who play Cloud simply because he's Cloud.

Back on topic: Other Ikes. I mean, I'm not super great myself, but I know you can do better than spamming Fsmash and Side B. It really pains me when people don't even bother with his excellent aerial game.

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Little Macs who think they're air fighters. Nuff said.
I'm not exactly the best Meta Knight player in the world. But seriously, as a MK main, I can say I haven't seen a single good one on FG. They never even attempt to gimp, they only know Dthrow to Up B, they never use the dash attack and they spam Mach Tornado. THIS ISN'T BRAWL.

IceThatsCool

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1907-9632-2400
I have been seeing a lot of :4ness: PK FIRE DOWNTHROW FAIR FAIR FAIR!!!! Which is really sad imo because I like ness as a character.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

Oh man.

I can ALMOST sense the Storm of :4cloud:'s that will appear (No pun intended, in a way...) once he is released. Online will most likely be filled with them left and right.

I'm almost certain he'll become the next FOR-GLORY:4link:...

Anyway, for now for me, the :4shulk:'s.

TOOMANYVISIONSANDISEEIT!FORMEM8. :facepalm:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I don't think there's a character that I haven't been seen played well... except for Mewtwo. I, have NEVER seen a good Mewtwo. I am not kidding. It just disappoints me that this character is so underplayed.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
:4ganondorf:

ATTENTION ALL GOOD GANONS

Sorry, but only going for dair spikes is not a disrespect in my book, but rather just a way to kill off of a read offstage.

I appreciate the hard work put into them, but I'm a bit tired of all these Ganon montages that only show mostly dair spikes.

Do some real disrespect! Get some offstage warlock punches or offstage down b spikes! It's more effective at making them salty, degraded, and traumatized. Harder work, but better reward.

EDIT: Just did that today and saved the replays, but it's on the 3DS. Better find a way to record this...

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I have been seeing a lot of :4ness: PK FIRE DOWNTHROW FAIR FAIR FAIR!!!! Which is really sad imo because I like ness as a character.
Why is that sad? It's Ness' bread and butter combo. It works perfectly at low percentages and can combo into a Up air or Nair if they air dodge one of the Fairs.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've been seeing a lot of trashy ZSS play lately, in other words me. I'm pretty trash.

But seriously, I think I rarely see a Fox played well. And after that Robin, using Thoron when I'm not anywhere near kill percentage grinds my gears.

D

Deleted member

:4mewtwo:

I am quite convinced that there are no good Mewtwos on For Glory. I understand he's a very hard character to play efficiently, but it really sucks how underrepresented he is and what FG players there are that pick him are just... eurgh. Rolling all across the stage, throwing out Shadow Balls willy nilly, trying to link Confusion into smashes, all that stuff.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
:4falcon:

I've seen a lot of Captain Falcons and only a few of them were challenging. The rest can be summed up like this: Falcon Kick across the stage and do a couple of u-airs and b-airs. And never try to edge guard. (At least on For Glory anyways.)

:4link:

There's nothing like rolling all over the stage spamming every projectile they have. In fact I haven't met one Link who doesn't do that. However, I have a feeling that a lot of good Links don't spam like the ones in FG.

:4pikachu:

Ugh, most of the time I do ditto matches against other Pikachu, but most of the time they aren't good. Most Pikachu I see just jump around the stage and make no attempt to be a threat. They don't bother to edge guard with Pikachu, and some even spam Thunder Jolt. I cringe everytime I see a Pikachu like this on FG.

:4littlemac:

Most Little Mac's I meet often love to spam smash attacks to abuse the Super Armor. It's quite annoying, however, most Mac's I see that do this don't recover back onto the stage very well either.

Last edited:

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
Oh boy, where do I begin...
:4shulk: players that are just not in tune with his moveset
:4samus: players that spell her name as Spamus, and don't know that Dash Attack>Uair>Uair is a true combo
:4robinm: players that spell his name as Spamus, and never grab the tomes after dropping them
:4jigglypuff: :4duckhunt::4palutena:players that never show up online
:4falco::4fox:PEWPEWPEW
:4bowser: players that don't read patch notes
:4megaman: players that are allergic to lemons
:4sonic: players that just GOTTA GO FAST
:4ness::4lucas:PKFIRE! PKFIRE! PKFIRE! BTHROW! UTAUNT! UTAUNT! TROOOOO COMBOOOOOOOOOO!
:4pacman::4olimar::4zelda::4yoshi::4wiifit::4wario::4mewtwo::4littlemac::4ryu::4cloud::4falcon:
And more. Long story short, I play the 3ds version. Nobody there knows how to play. As for characters that I often see played well, mainly just :4dedede:, strangely enough (which is good because Robin/Dedede is one of my favorite matchups)

Fidooblius

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xDirtface
3DS FC
2036-8028-4791
Switch FC
SW-1888-7943-9184
I hardly ever see any good lucario players on the 3DS. Found one recently, though. His name was Jingooo.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I've seen a lot of good players for each character on For Glory so this is hard for me.

I'd probably have to choose Samus, Falco, Ness, and/or King Dedede.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
My favorite are the ones that drill rush off the edge. Although I've done that before when I expected the drill rush to send me back but it didn't cause the last hit didn't connect.

Dimensional cape off the edge is funny too.
I've Dimensional caped off the edge a couple times while trying to ledge trump...

It made me sad to attempt a high level mix up and fail to look a tad foolish..

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Rosalina. Unfortunately Rosalina doesnt take any skill to play, so it's always annoying regardless of how bad they are.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
:4palutena:
It actually bugs me with the number of bad Palutena players I've seen, either involving me facing them or watching other people face them. It's along the lines of why some Little Mac mains get annoyed when people say Mac is the worst character in the game. It's the same deal with me and the Goddess. It's not that she's "low tier trash" she just doesn't have people who represent her well.

Pro tip, if your character's specials don't deliver a lot on the offense perhaps it means that's NOT what they're meant for.

:4samus: Roll, roll, roll, missile, roll, roll, roll, missile

:4jigglypuff: ALL I DO IS SIDE-B AND REST! WHY DOES THAT WORK?!!

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I played against some really good :4link: players over the weekend. They beat me pretty hard, but I learned to cope a little with the matchup and got a couple KOs here and there.

EDIT:

Anywho, I get really bugged when facing off against :4cloud: (and :4myfriends:, but I attribute my issues with the latter to be my own problem). I just can never tell whether I lost to a Cloud because they're actually good with Cloud, or if it's because Cloud is a matchup that Bowser struggles with.

Last edited:

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1
Mewtwo is probably the character on FG that consistently has the worst players in my experience. Poorly timed shadow ball spam and inability to recover.

The characters that I often see being played well might be Ike and Rosalina

Jaketto

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure what it is but I rarely see :4pikachu: being good online.

However last week I got obliterated by someone being him.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Lucina. Not, not Marth or Lucina, Lucina specifically.
I'd appreciate if those crapton of Lucina's that go to tournaments didn't go 0-2 all the time. At this point it feels like a Lucina in a tournament is like a Goomba in your average Mario level.

CaptainFalcon89

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaptainFalcon89
3DS FC
2981-8075-4802
Duck Hunt Dog and Olimar, The former I always see spamming attacks and Olimar purely because they are rarely seen

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Probably :4gaw:. They're also the only players that are actually good too. None of that dash n' grab or same move repetition bull****. Every one of them I meet play fair.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I take spammer as a compliment because scrubs either refuse to play spammy or suck at it. Winning with spam requires both skill and a competitive mindset.

Unless the game is degenerate which is not Smash as far as I know.
Dod you face a Retro GB DDD today on FG?
You was Blue R.O.B?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

ATTENTION ALL GOOD GANONS

Sorry, but only going for dair spikes is not a disrespect in my book, but rather just a way to kill off of a read offstage.

I appreciate the hard work put into them, but I'm a bit tired of all these Ganon montages that only show mostly dair spikes.

Do some real disrespect! Get some offstage warlock punches or offstage down b spikes! It's more effective at making them salty, degraded, and traumatized. Harder work, but better reward.

EDIT: Just did that today and saved the replays, but it's on the 3DS. Better find a way to record this...

D

Deleted member

:4mewtwo:: Charging Shadow Ball, rolling, then charging Shadow Ball is an undiscovered Mewtwo tech, guys! Also, Confusion is definitely a true combo into any of Mewtwo's smashes!

:4cloud:: Limit Charge and rolling whenever you get close. When they do get Limit, they always go for LB Blade Beam. There's playing lame (which is fine in competitive play, it's a legit tactic I don't have issue with), then there's just being an arsehat that doesn't acknowledge other stage movement options.

:4bowser:: Even after the Shellshock buff, Bowser players on FG are still bad. Fishing for grabs, tons of rolling, always landing with down air or Bowser Bomb after being knocked up into the air, and trying to combo into up smash out of up throw. smh

:4link:: I don't even have to explain this one.

:4tlink:: Ditto.

:4sonic:: FG Sonics always use Spin Dash and Spin Charge like it's the only good moves in their moveset. FFS, walk, run, do something in neutral other than just spam spindash. I also find it cute when Sonic players try to do back throw at the ledge thinking it'll actually kill me.

:4greninja:: Greninja is rare around these parts, which is understandable due to how difficult he is to play. I haven't met any outright bad Greninjas, just really unremarkable ones (that usually rely too much on his projectile and Shadow Sneak, and thinking Substitution is a move ever worth using). Wish more great ones showed their faces.

:4duckhunt:: Can, Clay Shooting and Gunmen are the only moves Duck Hunt has. Rolling is also his best stage movement option, back rolling when you're at the ledge is a great defensive tactic too!

:4charizard:: I have never come across on single good Charizard on FG. Ever. It's literally all using Flare Blitz too much, going for up throw too early and throwing out unsafe moves with fsmash at the most inopportune of times.

:4dedede:: Don't have to explain this one either. It personally depresses me how nobody on FG knows how to play Dedede well.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
:4mewtwo:: Charging Shadow Ball, rolling, then charging Shadow Ball is an undiscovered Mewtwo tech, guys! Also, Confusion is definitely a true combo into any of Mewtwo's smashes!

:4cloud:: Limit Charge and rolling whenever you get close. When they do get Limit, they always go for LB Blade Beam. There's playing lame (which is fine in competitive play, it's a legit tactic I don't have issue with), then there's just being an arsehat that doesn't acknowledge other stage movement options.

:4bowser:: Even after the Shellshock buff, Bowser players on FG are still bad. Fishing for grabs, tons of rolling, always landing with down air or Bowser Bomb after being knocked up into the air, and trying to combo into up smash out of up throw. smh

:4link:: I don't even have to explain this one.

:4tlink:: Ditto.

:4sonic:: FG Sonics always use Spin Dash and Spin Charge like it's the only good moves in their moveset. FFS, walk, run, do something in neutral other than just spam spindash. I also find it cute when Sonic players try to do back throw at the ledge thinking it'll actually kill me.

:4greninja:: Greninja is rare around these parts, which is understandable due to how difficult he is to play. I haven't met any outright bad Greninjas, just really unremarkable ones (that usually rely too much on his projectile and Shadow Sneak, and thinking Substitution is a move ever worth using). Wish more great ones showed their faces.

:4duckhunt:: Can, Clay Shooting and Gunmen are the only moves Duck Hunt has. Rolling is also his best stage movement option, back rolling when you're at the ledge is a great defensive tactic too!

:4charizard:: I have never come across on single good Charizard on FG. Ever. It's literally all using Flare Blitz too much, going for up throw too early and throwing out unsafe moves with fsmash at the most inopportune of times.

:4dedede:: Don't have to explain this one either. It personally depresses me how nobody on FG knows how to play Dedede well.

Well I recently picked up Zard and learned some setups and even a kill set up at 0 percent. I haven't been able to pull it off online however.

To continue the discussion
I AM THE KING OF DISRESPECT MUAHAHA!
No. Just no.
:4corrin: We haven't seen any yet
:4bayonetta:Same as above
:denzel::troll:

About Greninja, I met Venia online. He is the best Greninja in my opinion, and he is great at using hydro pump. I was lucky to even get a 100% on him and recover as ness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well I recently picked up Zard and learned some setups and even a kill set up at 0 percent. I haven't been able to pull it off online however.

To continue the discussion
I AM THE KING OF DISRESPECT MUAHAHA!
No. Just no.
:4corrin: We haven't seen any yet
:4bayonetta:Same as above
:denzel::troll:
What are the setups? I secondary Zard myself and am curious to hear them.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
What are the setups? I secondary Zard myself and am curious to hear them.
Well dash attack and down throw can lead into viable setups, I'll post them later when I have time.
The kill setup is mostly me wearing a tinfoil hat and theorycrafting :p

Top Bottom