• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you rarely see played well

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
You can see a character a lot in For Glory, but how often do you find actually good players for that character?
The most obvious ones to me are :4kirby::4link::4tlink::4shulk::4sonic:
Kirby players tend to be your typical ass Kirby, spamming stone, cutter and smashes in hopes it'll somehow work.
Link and Toon Link are exactly what you think they are.
Shulk players seem to have no idea that the Arts exist, or when they do it's nothing but Buster and Smash.
Sonic is pretty much Flowcharting, spam the same old stuff and hope it works.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Palutena.

However in terms of characters that I rarely ever see not play well:

ROB, Yoshi. Freaking Yoshi.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Ryu. Its already bad enough that I rarely ever get to see my main online, but it's even worse how nearly every single one of them I run into don't know how to use him. At least with Palutena I can say that that the few I run into at least know what they are doing.

Nearly every time I see somebody else who plays Ryu on For Glory, they always try to rush in instead of forcing an approach with Hadoukans, they always try to use focus attack when trying to land without ever mixing it up, and they can't kill me unless I'm past 150% because they don't know how to use True Shoryuken even though it kills around 80%. It isn't even fun fighting one of them because they aren't even remotely challenging to beat.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
The terrible thing is that For Glory Link is actually a pain in the ass to deal with, while Kirbycide McGee is easy to gimp as is Nomado Shulk.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
:4villager: and :4greninja:.

There was a time that this wasn't true, but for the last few months I've seen these characters so much and all they ever seem to know is side-b.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It's staggering how bad For Glory Ikes are. Fellow Ike mains are rare as it is, so it's incredibly disappointing to run into one only to see that he spams Quick Draw, Aether, and smashes in neutral.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
It's staggering how bad For Glory Ikes are. Fellow Ike mains are rare as it is, so it's incredibly disappointing to run into one only to see that he spams Quick Draw, Aether, and smashes in neutral.
that's really weird, around 7-8/10 ikes I've met online actually worked the safe poking game really well. every now and then I'll meet an ike (or someone will go ike to counter my ike, lol) who does what you describe. it's sad when they do that. I think they look at Ike and say WOW HES SUPER STRONG I GOTTA DO HIS STRONGEST MOVES EASY KILLS and fail to realise that he's actually a combo heavy character

Morbi

Scavenger
Falco. I used to main him; however, I dropped him for obvious reasons. But man, when I see him being misused on For Glory, I feel like changing back and teaching them a thing or two about him. I have a lot of pride for Falco and fellow Falco mains, I just want to see him done justice.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
Charizard using flare blitz at horrible times.
Ness really loves using PK fire.
Luigi really wants those grab combos.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I never play against a decent Ness, Ryu, and the Links.

Basically, I never have good FG matches. Everyone uses the same old techniques, and it just gets tedious.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Never really played against a good Meta Knight/Dark Pit.

Last time I vsed a Dark Pit, the match ended in literally 20 seconds.
(He runs towards me, uses B-forward, I use agility(Pikachu) Dodge it, then he falls off the edge)
(Repeat the same thing as soon as he re-spawns)

Link is always annoying as **** in FG. Bombs, arrows & boomerangs galore!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Out of the characters I've fought, I rarely find any decent to good Nesses, Falcos, Bowsers, Warios, Links and Meta Knights...and no, I ain't talking about spammers. I'm talking about those with actual skill.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I probably 2-stock most Ganondorfs and most Bowsers too. Especially Ganondorf is almost always very easy.
Aside from that I think that most if not all characters are mostly played badly by my opponents on FG 1v1.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
If I had to pick a few from memory, these would be the characters I see on For Glory that are rarely played well:

:4pacman:Pac-Man
Pac-Man can be a real trickster when you learn how to use him properly. Most of his combos are very easy to do as well, yet most of the people I see playing as him tend to just stick with the fruits and power pellets. Most I encounter that use him don't even know how to charge his fruit correctly (holding B to keep it going again) so all you gotta do is just keep them occupied to avoid the key.

Speaking of the key, it upsets me that most will only use it to throw the hydrant like that's the only thing it's good for.

:4villager:/:4villagerf:Villager
I'm not a Villager main nor really use them as a secondary, but I get the gist of what they can do. Sadly enough, most who use them apparently think they're only good for standing at the edge all day and spamming moves and grabs. I've never met a Villager who is actually offensive and isn't afraid to get involved. That, and some Villagers I face never try to use Pocket to their advantage.

:4mewtwo:Mewtwo
Is Mewtwo played by the same players that play Villager poorly? Cause I feel like that's the case a lot of the time. Standing near the edge, Shadowball after Shadowball. Even if they don't work they'll keep doing it. They don't use them to their advantage at all.

Dodge dodge stand near edge Shadowball Shadowball dodge dodge stand near other edge Shadowball.
- For Glory Mewtwo

:4fox:Fox
I'll rarely encounter a Fox, but when I do they try to laser a lot or if I'm ROB or Pac-Man (especially ROB) they'll get so defensive it's actually funny. Purposely release your gyro and grab onto it then proceed to watch them use reflector every 5 seconds.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Over 5000 matches online in 2vs2 matches, rarely fought any pro wii fit trainers, greninjas, charizards, or metaknights

1FC0

Smash Lord
:4fox:Fox
I'll rarely encounter a Fox, but when I do they try to laser a lot or if I'm ROB or Pac-Man (especially ROB) they'll get so defensive it's actually funny. Purposely release your gyro and grab onto it then proceed to watch them use reflector every 5 seconds.

When holding the Gyro I often run to them, they use reflector, and then I SH->Z-Drop->Nair recatching the Gyro and hitting them at the same time. Doing this enough times makes some Foxes use their Reflector less giving R.O.B. oportunities to hit them by throwing the Gyro.

Another fun thing to do with Reflectors is throwing the Gyro and then when it gets reflected and flies back catching it with an Air Dodge and throw it again. Some people keep reflecting for a while which can give R.O.B. a good chance to have some fun and practice with this.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
Not doing well as Olimar is understandable, but when people have the nerve to buy Ryu and then play as him online just to fail, that's kind of bad.

Ol' King Dedede

Smash Cadet
Played good: Ness, Zero suit Samus, Ganondorf, Mario, me of course!

Played awful: Luigi, Charizard, Ike, Roy, Ryu, Meta Knight, Bowser, Mewtwo, Peach, Zelda, Marth, Lucina and Link

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Falcon himself, despite sucking when I play as him...
Pikachu and his infamous Thunder Jolt. PIKACHU PIKACHU PIKACHU
Shulk and his Smash Attacks.
Ness. NESS. NESS. As a Ness secondary, the ones I find make me regret playing him on such a mode!

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I obviously see Little Mac the most, but very few of them are good.

Honestly, if you end up winning one battle by using Little Mac, then you don't know how to Smash. Unless you happen to main Little Mac.

Last edited:

BlueMenace

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrZwij
I obviously see Little Mac the most, but very few of them are good.

Honestly, if you end up winning one battle by using Little Mac, then you don't know how to Smash. Unless you happen to main Little Mac.
I definitely agree with this. As a Mac main, it pains me to see FG LM's. NEVER rush with Little Mac.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
:4sonic: - Most just spam Spin Dash and expect to win.
:4pit::4darkpit: - If I run into a Pit, I can almost always expect Side-B's, Smash attack spam and rolls.
:4peach: - Trying way to hard to do floating dair combos.
:4bowser: - I don't think I even need to explain this.
:4mewtwo: - Roll, do an attack, roll, charge Shadow Ball, roll, throw out Confusion and try to follow up with a Smash, roll...
:4duckhunt: - Let's just abuse the B button. Oh and roll all over the stage for no reason.
:4palutena: - I am confident that there are only two good Palutena players on For Glory. Almost every single one I've fought had no idea what they were doing.
:4charizard: - Side B into Side B is a true combo.
:4dedede: - Gordos and down-tilt for days.

It's sad how I can pretty much tell what I'm getting into when I fight these characters on For Glory. Only once in a blue moon do I actually fight people who know what they're doing with them.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
:4sonic: - Most just spam Spin Dash and expect to win.
:4pit::4darkpit: - If I run into a Pit, I can almost always expect Side-B's, Smash attack spam and rolls.
:4peach: - Trying way to hard to do floating dair combos.
:4bowser: - I don't think I even need to explain this.
:4mewtwo: - Roll, do an attack, roll, charge Shadow Ball, roll, throw out Confusion and try to follow up with a Smash, roll...
:4duckhunt: - Let's just abuse the B button. Oh and roll all over the stage for no reason.
:4palutena: - I am confident that there are only two good Palutena players on For Glory. Almost every single one I've fought had no idea what they were doing.
:4charizard: - Side B into Side B is a true combo.
:4dedede: - Gordos and down-tilt for days.

It's sad how I can pretty much tell what I'm getting into when I fight these characters on For Glory. Only once in a blue moon do I actually fight people who know what they're doing with them.
Ikr most Characters abuse there "strongest" moves so with Roy I spot dodge or counter with follow ups

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Off the top of my head there are a lot of characters that I rarely see played well, most likely because the other player doesn't know what he's doing.
Every single time I see Link or Samus I see their spam coming from a mile away. Every Sonic and Ness players I meet all do the same thing over and over again hoping it'll evetually work. Captain Falcon becomes Dashgrab Falcon that always misses it... and the list goes on. I just came to the conclusion that there aren't that many great players on For Glory

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I feel like there are some characters that will either be terrible when seen on For Glory, or will be god-like. :4ganondorf::4charizard: are two examples. I have never seen someone play these two characters "fairly well". I either two stock them or get two-stocked myself. As for the other characters, I think I've seen everybody played pretty well at least a few times. :4lucina: is a character that I don't usually expect to be good, but I am extremely happy when they are. Mostly because I know how underrated (and at times, it seems, straight-up disliked) she is.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Only ever fought one Rosalina who could beat me in the ditto. There is a serious lack of Rosas in general and the vast majority of them just don't get her/the game.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
So few good :4robinm::4robinf:, In fact so few :4robinm::4robinf: in general, makes me sad :(
Main aside, I rarely see good :4lucario::4ryu::4tlink::4bowserjr:

Some characters I see even less of::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:... :troll:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Well I watched some replays of Ike from the For Glory/1v1 category the other night. Anyways I was thinking cause I searched for an Ike replay, that it'd be well a good one. But I guess it was a replay saved by the other opponent as I don't see why an Ike player would save a replay of themselves SD'ing their final stock by being like 10 feet away from the platform and using Aether in the middle of nowhere. I watched another replay to see yet another Ike do the exact same thing, SD'ing his last stock by using Aether so far from the actual ledge.

Then I had the experience of fighting an Ike of that caliber last night. I was so excited with finally coming across another Ike in such a long while, first match, and was all yeah I'm up for a good ditto! Only for the Ike to hold quick draw for the first ten seconds of the match. Then after I realized he wouldn't move till I did, I approached, for him to go to the other side and do the exact same thing. It physically hurt to play against an Ike that bad and I wanted to leave, then I thought how I actually learned to better my Ike by losing to a good Ike so I stayed for another two matches but he would literally do the exact same thing with quick draw that I punished him for the last two games! Then he switched to Shiek for some reason which was also bad I might add and got two stocked and he left after that.

I do come across Ikes who know what they're doing more than the bad ones, thankfully.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Oh yeah, I'll add to this. I very very rarely see good Ganon players and it's pretty disheartening.
Thanks to youtube, everyone treats Ganon like some hilarious troll character who's only good for getting "LE EPIC DISRESPECT LOL XD" so you get For Glory filled with Ganon players who do nothing but spam dair, side and neutral special and up tilt.
It's just as bad as how no one takes Little Mac seriously, both him and Ganon are actually viable characters, but nope, let's keep spewing memes and disregard perfectly good characters for some cheap humour.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
It's just as bad as how no one takes Little Mac seriously, both him and Ganon are actually viable characters, but nope, let's keep spewing memes and disregard perfectly good characters for some cheap humour.
Someone's gonna disagree with you on that, but I like your attitude torwards the situation a lot.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf is at least way more viable than he was in Brawl. Little Mac is also viable if you can keep him from flying off the stage.

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
:4bowserjr: (Bowser Jr.)
I feel like I always run into players who either spam their Special Up or Side B. As a Morton player it is rather disappointing because people immediately leave after playing a match with me claiming I am a spammer, simply because I shot a cannon ball and hit them with a hammer in mid-air a few times. Bowser Jr. has some decent potential if you are willing to play fairly defensively and know how to chain combos well.

1FC0

Smash Lord
:4bowserjr: (Bowser Jr.)
I feel like I always run into players who either spam their Special Up or Side B. As a Morton player it is rather disappointing because people immediately leave after playing a match with me claiming I am a spammer, simply because I shot a cannon ball and hit them with a hammer in mid-air a few times. Bowser Jr. has some decent potential if you are willing to play fairly defensively and know how to chain combos well.
Beating people with a certain strategy and then getting called cheap for it often makes the win better for me.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
What's all this talk about noobs online using sonic badly? Almost every single top tier user i have met bodies me so hard. However, there are a fair share of characters that people just try WAY too hard with.
1.:4falcon: PAWNCH, KNEE, FALCON KICK(rinse and repeat)
2.:4megaman: StylesX2 wannabes, enough said. U-air for days, added with all his smash attacks.
3.:4diddy:Hoo-hah spammers and monkey flip spammers
4.:4luigi: Side-B spammers. trying their hardest to get the grab, down-b spamming, etc. I'll admit, I used to be a total noob when I first picked him up, but I actually learned from the luigi boards some nice tips, and now i may not be the best, but at least I can use him decently well.
5. Oh yeah and, :4littlemac:for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I too share your complaints, Naklsonofnakkl, for the #1 thing that I NEVER seem to see from those :4bowserjr: (not so much :4roy:, since the :4roy: VS :4feroy: hype seems to have simmered down) Up B & Side B spammers is Side B Jump Cancels. over 50+% of what makes him as good as he is goes right out the window when you're not Side B Jump Cancelling. Because of this, whenever I "figure" out that they don't seem to know about Side B Jump Cancels, I disrespectfully treat their Side B as a free headshot moment, and I'll constantly take to the skies for said headshots, since that's where the increased damage & knockback are. I'll also dare challenge their recoveries, since they are prone to gimps without Side B JCs, especially if I'm hovering above their Up B with a sourspot aerial hanging out over their heads. Many of them don't know about mashing the R (shield button) when caught out of their Up B with strong hits to get back their Car, leading to early gimps that probably shouldn't be happening as early as they do. I'll even challenge their Up B on-stage when the Car explosion's over, since coming at him from above or below him is surprisingly safe in comparison to sideways, especially if you have good overall aerial range like anyone with a sword (and many of them have Counters to discourage them from chasing you upwards with Up B --> A (Hammer)).

Two of my most frequent counterpicks against such Jrs, win or lose as whoever I happen to be when they show up, are my :4ludwig: (most common) and my :4duckhunt: (2nd most common, yet I want this to be the most common from me, so they can at least get tested on whether or not they can make good use of Mechas & Cannonballs to pierce my arsenal with before siccing my own :4iggy: on them afterwards). I absolutely adore both the Jr Ditto and the DH VS Jr MU on both sides (http://smashboards.com/threads/bows...-hunt-and-ness-matchups.394727/#post-19043628 for Jr's view and especially http://smashboards.com/threads/sic-...uigi-greninja-and.379294/page-5#post-19521092 for DH's view), so it is out of sheer hype & joy that I pursue these MUs.

The ones I DO see consistent Side B Jump Cancels from are often the folks that will see Friend Requests from me in the Wii U version.

It's just too bad that the majority of those FG Anywhere peeps aren't quite at the level of play that my big posts in those 2 topics address. I was hoping for the Jrs & DHes I run across in FG Anywhere to have leveled up somewhat since those 2 big posts, but apparently not. :( I've yet to run across either a Jr or a DH while I'm either Jr or DH myself in Tourney Mode as a whole thus far, even with Customs on and legal stages accessible (features that would make the Jr VS DH MU even more fascinating to me than they already are), so whether or not my beef with the FG Anywhere crowd carries over to there remains to be seen....

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
Beating people with a certain strategy and then getting called cheap for it often makes the win better for me.
No, I feel good about winning, I just get bothered they leave under the pretense that I am a spammer. At least try and find a counter to my strat or use me as a way to get better. Unless I beat you into submission. Then I will allow you to leave the match.

Top Bottom