• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you rarely see played well

D

Deleted member

Most of the Charizards that I fought are trash. They either try to abuse his power to much (and get punished for it) or they use his side B for days.

The worst I've seen was Mewtwo on his initial release; I only found one good Mewtwo.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Also, most of the Zeldas I see mainly use her up-b. I'm all like, "She has other moves, guys!"

...Why do I feel like I'm the only decent Zelda I see online?

1FC0

Smash Lord
No, I feel good about winning, I just get bothered they leave under the pretense that I am a spammer. At least try and find a counter to my strat or use me as a way to get better. Unless I beat you into submission. Then I will allow you to leave the match.
I take spammer as a compliment because scrubs either refuse to play spammy or suck at it. Winning with spam requires both skill and a competitive mindset.

Unless the game is degenerate which is not Smash as far as I know.

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
I take spammer as a compliment because scrubs either refuse to play spammy or suck at it. Winning with spam requires both skill and a competitive mindset.

Unless the game is degenerate which is not Smash as far as I know.
I feel like that is a bit off kilter, if a character is legitimately spammy and that is how you have to play them effectively, then Smash is a degenerate game. No character should need to spam to win, that means the character is inherently flawed. You don't need to spam gyro's as villager to win a match, nor do you need to spam cannons as Bowser Jr. to win. If someone thinks you are a spammer because they don't know how to deal with your character, then fine, that is their fault. But if you are legitimately spamming because that is how to win then that character needs to be altered to prevent such methods to work.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I feel like that is a bit off kilter, if a character is legitimately spammy and that is how you have to play them effectively, then Smash is a degenerate game. No character should need to spam to win, that means the character is inherently flawed. You don't need to spam gyro's as villager to win a match, nor do you need to spam cannons as Bowser Jr. to win. If someone thinks you are a spammer because they don't know how to deal with your character, then fine, that is their fault. But if you are legitimately spamming because that is how to win then that character needs to be altered to prevent such methods to work.
I disagree with this. Spam is fine as long as there are mindgames and skill involved. The fun is in competing in a game with a high skill ceiling, not in showcasing moves.

For examle, if a Ganondorf can B> me 24 times in a row because he keeps predicting where I will roll to then I will be impressed even though he did spam the move.

As another example, I sometimes hit nooby Ganondorfs over and over with the Gyro because I keep predicting when and how they will stand up allowing me to time my throw to hit them right when they stand up making them fall down again so I can repeat. This is spam but it requires winning many mindgames to do succesfully thus it feels very good and is fun to do.

The moves are just the medium through which the mindgames and skills express themselves. And spam often looks funny too.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
When I see a :4link: that does more than spam their projectiles, I feel better about myself since the match won't be a tedious war of attrition.

:4littlemac:'s have been getting better from my experience. While I beat a good deal of them, sometimes they can catch me off guard. At least he's not the laughing stock that he was a while back.

Much like Link, if I see a decent :4samus: and they actually try despite Samus's MAJOR flaws, I feel better about myself if I lose since it tells me that they're dedicated to their character despite the bad buzz about them.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
When I see a :4link: that does more than spam their projectiles, I feel better about myself since the match won't be a tedious war of attrition.

:4littlemac:'s have been getting better from my experience. While I beat a good deal of them, sometimes they can catch me off guard. At least he's not the laughing stock that he was a while back.

Much like Link, if I see a decent :4samus: and they actually try despite Samus's MAJOR flaws, I feel better about myself if I lose since it tells me that they're dedicated to their character despite the bad buzz about them.
thats actually encouraging to read. Its funny hardly anyones mentioned Samus because anybody ballsy enough to play her is somewhat skilled.

the worst Ive seen has been :4ness:
Maybe they think I'm 1 dimensional and try to camp and Psi magnet my CS. Its laughably bad, every Ness has been clueless on how to approach me.
I think this question can be based of the MU in itself. how people play against your main can reveal how knowledgeable the opponent is on the matchup,
It just seems there isnt enough Samus' playing FG to give people enough info on how to fight them. Ness just seems to be the MOST clueless
(followed by Lucas)

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4ganondorf:. Everyone on FG uses him exclusively for "L0L TEH DISRESPEKT/MUH COMBO VIDZ" and only uses "disrespectful" attacks like ledge Utilt and F-smash with their broken hitboxes. The whole idea of "disrespect" in Smash is just so dumb to me. And then, of course, they taunt and t-bag when they manage to land that lucky finishing blow. Really now, that's your idea of fun? Blindly throwing out slow attacks, hoping that the lag will be in your favor? How pitiful. Please use a character you actually know how to play, otherwise you just aren't worth my time. What's worse is when they plank desperately like a coward and fish for Ganoncide as a last ditch effort when the stocks are even. Completely obnoxious, I tell you.
Who else... oh yeah, can't forget about:4ness:! You know what I'm talking about, the ones who just toss repeated PK Fires in your general direction hoping something good comes of it and do the super easy D-throw-triple fair combo. Of course, they'll also fish for PKT2 kills, which barely ever works, but it certainly won't stop them from taunting when it hits!

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
:4ganondorf:. Everyone on FG uses him exclusively for "L0L TEH DISRESPEKT/MUH COMBO VIDZ" and exclusively uses "disrespectful" attacks like Utilt at the ledge and Dair. The whole idea of "disrespect" in Smash is just so dumb to me. And then, of course, they taunt and t-bag when they manage to land that lucky finishing blow. Really now, that's your idea of fun? Blindly throwing out slow attacks, hoping that the lag will be in your favor? How pitiful. Please use a character you actually know how to play, otherwise you just aren't worth my time. What's worse is when they fish for Ganoncide as a last ditch effort when the stocks are even.
I never understood disrespect either. I always hate fighting Ganondorf because everyone and I mean everyone goes for the "stylish" kills, trying to look badass while fighting, but make fools out of themselves, especially if you can read what they're doing.

Last edited:

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
For me:
:4falcon:most of them are pretty bad. They try a little bit too hard for Knee and Falcon Punch kills.
:4zelda:Farore's Wind for days. Also Din's Fire is a bad move, don't use it.
:rosalina:Dash Attack x 100 = easy shield grabs.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
the best sonic main in mexico is from my city. im one of the best links around here. But getting back to the topic, i believe that jiggs almos no one uses it correctly

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I've yet to see any good :4zss: mains on For Glory. All they do is neutral-b to DA/grab, and attempt to go for the u-airs to up-b. I'm always skeptical when I come across a :4zss: on For Glory, 'cause she's my main, and it's saddening how very few people know how to use her properly.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If I had to pick a few from memory, these would be the characters I see on For Glory that are rarely played well:

:4pacman:Pac-Man
Pac-Man can be a real trickster when you learn how to use him properly. Most of his combos are very easy to do as well, yet most of the people I see playing as him tend to just stick with the fruits and power pellets. Most I encounter that use him don't even know how to charge his fruit correctly (holding B to keep it going again) so all you gotta do is just keep them occupied to avoid the key.

Speaking of the key, it upsets me that most will only use it to throw the hydrant like that's the only thing it's good for.

:4villager:/:4villagerf:Villager
I'm not a Villager main nor really use them as a secondary, but I get the gist of what they can do. Sadly enough, most who use them apparently think they're only good for standing at the edge all day and spamming moves and grabs. I've never met a Villager who is actually offensive and isn't afraid to get involved. That, and some Villagers I face never try to use Pocket to their advantage.

:4mewtwo:Mewtwo
Is Mewtwo played by the same players that play Villager poorly? Cause I feel like that's the case a lot of the time. Standing near the edge, Shadowball after Shadowball. Even if they don't work they'll keep doing it. They don't use them to their advantage at all.
Dodge dodge stand near edge Shadowball Shadowball dodge dodge stand near other edge Shadowball. - For Glory Mewtwo

:4fox:Fox
I'll rarely encounter a Fox, but when I do they try to laser a lot or if I'm ROB or Pac-Man (especially ROB) they'll get so defensive it's actually funny. Purposely release your gyro and grab onto it then proceed to watch them use reflector every 5 seconds.
I hate facing mew2s because they all play like *******/cowards the whole game.

This was so freaking dirty though.

Zaabrey

Smash Apprentice
These guys :4lucina::4ryu:

I... don't run into a lot of Ryu's in FG. If you ask me, the ones I've fought and beaten took little effort.

I mean, it WOULD be nice to go head to head in a decent match with a Ryu.

Last edited:

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
the characters I see played pretty poorly are usually the ones I play or just high tiers. I think people assume since it is a high tier that means they will win by default. I play against Rosalinas who think starfish is immortal and never position it anywhere to use it to punish. Also almost all of the Fire Emblems cast I see represented really poorly aside from Roy. I see Robin's that do nothing but spam specials that lead into nothing, Marths and Lucinas who seem to think they will never get punished for their shield breaker, Ikes who think using Aether offensively is the best strategy ever (it has like 30 or something frames of endlag, don't use it unless you're recovering) and who also seem to think side smash is amazing, I mean side smash is really strong on Ike and can kill around 50% on most of the roster, and it has a huge hitbox, like overhead, behind and forward, but it also take a ton of time to recover from just using it, it should really only be used when waiting for someone to recover or if you are going for the hard reads

Django2010

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-2677-4948
I ran into two Robin's on FG that knew what they were doing. Wiped the floor with me. I don't remember the first, but the second ones name on 3DS was Afomaru. I managed to beat Afomaru a couple times, but the first Robin I couldnt beat after like 7 consecutive matches and then he bailed.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Other Robins :4robinm::4robinf:

Now, I know I'm VERY FAR from the best, but whenever I face another Robin on FG, I feel like the game is already won. I've put a lot of practice into learning to play as the character, so it seems to get my goat when someone picks up Robin expecting a free win from projectile spam. On the plus side though, they're usually a friendly bunch, and we almost always start every match with a "Time to tip the scales!" :D

I would also say:

:4marth: He can do more than just Forward Smash people!
:4feroy:Likewise.
:4pacman:A lot more advanced than just charging up keys and throwing hydrants.
:4shulk:Foward-A all the day. :p

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
:4pacman:A lot more advanced than just charging up keys and throwing hydrants.
This is basically the preferred strategy against certain characters so it depends on who you're fighting but against Robin you should use the entire Fruit Salad.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Most Jigglypuffs are bad but there are some pretty decent around although I can't remember the last time I lost to a Jiggly online.

The one that takes the cake is Kirby though, as a kirby main I feel disgusted at just how goddamn bad most Kirby players online are, I haven't lost to Kirbies online in so long (even less likely for them to beat me on Kirby dittos.)

*They use Dair too much
*They have no idea on how they can secure a kill
*Literally no adaptational skllls when their current playstyle isn't paying off
*Too much Shield grab attempting.
*Final cutter in the neutral, plz.

Those are their most common flaws.

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
Being a great meta knight, its sad to see 1000 tornado spammers in FG.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Being a great meta knight, its sad to see 1000 tornado spammers in FG.
My favorite are the ones that drill rush off the edge. Although I've done that before when I expected the drill rush to send me back but it didn't cause the last hit didn't connect.

Dimensional cape off the edge is funny too.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I disagree with this. Spam is fine as long as there are mindgames and skill involved. The fun is in competing in a game with a high skill ceiling, not in showcasing moves.

For examle, if a Ganondorf can B> me 24 times in a row because he keeps predicting where I will roll to then I will be impressed even though he did spam the move.

As another example, I sometimes hit nooby Ganondorfs over and over with the Gyro because I keep predicting when and how they will stand up allowing me to time my throw to hit them right when they stand up making them fall down again so I can repeat. This is spam but it requires winning many mindgames to do succesfully thus it feels very good and is fun to do.

The moves are just the medium through which the mindgames and skills express themselves. And spam often looks funny too.
I think you done this to me a dew days ago..
I was ganon and faced a R.O.B on FG Elding bridge

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
For me, it's :4pit:. Everytime I find one online, I get excited because I know I'm not the only Pit main, but then I get annoyed and saddened by how spammy they are. It's not even effective spam. Just upperdash arms that are impossible not to punish.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I've still yet to fight a Mewtwo that really impressed me.

Also rarely find decent Fox players, surprisingly enough.

4MyFriends

Smash Cadet
I rarely see good Links in FG, and to a certain extent Ike. They just love to be punished when constantly trying to go for smash attacks.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
My favorite kinds of people to fight are the ones that dash dance and use other advanced moves but then you can either sit there and just punch them or they aren't that good on the basics.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
There are a lot of characters I see being played terrible on For Glory. I've mained almost every character in the game for at least some period of time, whether it be two days or a few months like with my current mains.

:4greninja:-The last time I remember seeing one of these against me, they were pretty good but left the match before I got to use my Greninja. The rest of the Greninja I've encountered since launch day have been terrible for the most part, and I never lose to them. Although, that might just be because I'm a Greninja main myself.

:4fox:- Rarely see these either, but when I do, it's a spamfest. I'm also a Fox main, and I rarely use my blaster as it doesn't really help me any. The people just use their blasters the whole time at the beginning, so I just use Shine and reflect them back.

:4ganondorf:-Side B the whole game. Doesn't even use DTilt afterwords for some reason.

:4robinm:-Being too predictable with the whole "I'm going to charge my Thoron at the beginning. I'll just always use Elfire to keep you away. I'm not going to use Nosferatu, and I'm going to hit you with Elwind whilst trying to get to the other side of the stage to repeat the process again. When you're at over 80%, I'm just going to use my Levin Sword repeatedly." (Yes, I am aware that there are some Robins who don't do this. Good job for not doing it. I appreciate it.)

:4falcon:-Dash grab.

:4pikachu:-Pikaspam

:4zss:-Blaster can do a few things. It can link into Grab>DThrow>UpB. Or it can link into dash attack. Or it can link into smash attack. That's the three things ZSS users do. Is that all?

:4littlemac:-Roll, smash attack, take some damage, repeat. Fails miserably at aiming the KO Punch.

:4zelda:-Din's Fire. Phantom when you get close.

:4megaman:-Megaspam.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Pretty much anyone not named :4falcon::4falco: :4fox: :4yoshi: :4luigi::4drmario: :4mario: :4palutena:or:4dk: tends to play jank in for glory ~.~

I could go through the whole roster and list off reasons why:

:4bowser: - Simple character, but not easy to play in the slightest. Most can't space with this guy at all.

:4bowserjr: - You rarely see him, and when you do, most don't understand stage control well enough to use him

:4charizard: - They're pretty rare. The few I do fight play either too passive, or well... Y'know, spam Flare Blitz

:4darkpit: - ELECTROSHAWK!!!1ONE

:4dedede: - Gordo into Gordo into Gordo into Gordo into Gordo-- SMASH ATTACK!! :facepalm:

:4diddy: - Ever since his nerfs you almost never see a good diddy

:4ganondorf: - Just toss out attacks and hope they hit >.>

:4gaw: - NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!!!

:4greninja: - High Skill cap character. Ya almost never see him

:4myfriends: - They're even worse with the side B spam than :4charizard:

:4jigglypuff: - They always play too aggressive

:4kirby: - Up B Up B Up B Up B Dair Up B

:4littlemac: - I've only met one little mac that actually knew how to play the character ~.~

:4link: - I feel like all the links in For Glory are secretly the same player battling with different tags.

:4lucario: - Roll Roll Aura Sphere Roll Roll Roll Roll Oh I have aura now! ......... Aura Sphere

:4lucas: - I've only ever met one good lucas.... Out of 2

:4lucina: - You... really like that Side B don't you ~.~

:4megaman: - See :4link:

:4metaknight: - I acutally dunno about this guy. I never see em

:4mewtwo: - Worse version of :4lucario:

Too lazy to do the rest of the roster but yeah :tired:

Source: Over 7000 games of For Glory

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Might as well add to my own thread because hey that's a thing.
:4lucario:Special and Roll spam all the time. Like bad Samus players but even more obnoxious.
:4ness::4lucas:Grabs and PK fire. BnB combo abuse for Ness and spamming smash attacks for Lucas.
:4lucina:I'll never understand why there's never good Lucina players online. Is she REALLY that hard to use?
:4pikachu:Pika isn't that hard either. There's more than Jolt and grab into Thunder to him you know.
:4feroy:I never want to see another Roy online as long as I play
:4zelda:Someday I'd love to fight a good Zelda but so far I've found nothing.

D

Deleted member

Well... I've never come across any good :popo:. They have the highest learning curve of any character in Smash 4!

Real talk, here's some who are literally never good when I come across them:

:4mario:- Always fishing for grabs to get the down throw to up tilt combo, and always does forward air offstage when I'm nowhere near them. Also, stop spamming forward smash and fireballs.

:4charizard: - I'm surprised most Charizards on FG don't get critical brain injuries based on how many times they do Flare Blitz.

:4littlemac:- Forward and down smash spam, and those delicious Straight Lunges off the stage. Also, doing counter at the most inopportune of times (like when I'm Dedede charging Jet Hammer or Roy charging Blazer and they activate the counter as soon as they land onstage).

:4lucario: - At this point, I like to call him Rollcario. Usual stuff, grab fishing, rolling all around the stage and using barely any other moves besides Aura Sphere and Force Palm.

:4ness: - Incessant use of PK Fire and always going for the down throw combo and fail miserably on capitalizing on it, usually missing up airs or not connecting all three hits of fair. I also love when FG Ness' do back throw at low percents thinking it'll kill.

:4link::4tlink: - These two are some of my mains but good god, stop camping at the ledge and throwing boomerangs and fully charged arrows. That's not how you play the Links. That and them doing the usual "smash attack spam when you're close".

:4rob: - Gyros and lasers every five seconds. Oy vey. Many also try to cheese with down throw into up air any chance they get..

:4zelda: - Zelda is terrible regardless so I can see why barely anybody on FG plays her competently. Din's Fire and Phantom Slash everywhere despite the fact they're some of the most worthless projectiles in the game. Elevator fishing is also annoying.

:4lucina::4feroy::4marth: - Charging fully charged forward smashes after grab release like I'd be stupid enough to run into them. Marths and Lucinas always have this affinity for jumping into the air and doing Shield Breaker hoping I'll put up my shield and fall for it.

:4dk: - Failed attempts at ding-dongs and Hand Slap spam.

:4sonic: - HURR HURR SPIN2WIN

:4wario: - Seems like people think bike is the only approach option.

:4dedede: - As a Dedede main it breaks my heart that barely anybody knows how to play him correctly. Default Gordo throws, down tilt and smash attack spam all over the place, geez.

:4jigglypuff: - How do I Rest?

:4luigi: - All the Luigis I came across pre-patch always went for the braindead down throw combos and it ended up working. Nowadays they just fireball spam and do Green Missile all the time in neutral.

:4ganondorf: - Flame Choke into down tilt is a true combo and is the only useful move in Ganon's arsenal.

:4falcon:- Oh nice, you know how to dashgrab and throw people. Learn how to play this character properly please.

:4olimar: - Only have come across one good Olimar that absolutely wrecked my ****. All the other ones spam Pikmin Throw and forward smash and hope it works.

:4samus: - Missile spam, Charge Shot spam and roll spam for days.

Yeah, that's it from me lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4palutena:- I've yet to meet anyone who's worthy of truly calling themselves a goddess.

:4zelda:- Clearly about 90% of the FG Zelda players lack the Triforce of "Wisdom".

:4littlemac:- Mac and "Cheese" all day everyday.

:4link::4tlink:- Every FG Link player is Dark Link in disguise because they clearly don't have the Triforce of "Courage".

:4zss:- Keep the suit on please...

:4bowserjr:- Try their best to make an obstacle course worth of Daddy Bowser's Fortress.

:4ryu:- Clearly still needs to read the manual for Smash 4.

:4dedede:- Hammer time "Gordo Edition"

:4charizard:- "How to train your Dragon?"

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
:4feroy: - This hurts me a lot, like smash attacks and counters aren't your only moves.

:4falcon: - Often super aggro and tries way too hard to style. Yes, always go for style with Falcon, but you should know when it's not working.

:4link:/:4tlink: - You know you guys can also move with the control stick, right? Not just roll all over the place? Also should realize when projectiles aren't working and stop going for random smash attacks.

:4shulk: - "Back Slash!" "A Vision!" Yeah......you aren't actually playing Xenoblade.

:4luigi: - It's amazing what 1.1.1 did to the bandwagon Luigi players, they're practically chickens without heads.

:4myfriends: - Counter, random smash attacks.....please stop.

:4ness: - PK Fire ain't your only move.

:4charizard: - If this was Pokemon, side B would be a good move.....it's not Pokemon.

:4ryu: - You might wanna invest some time into actual Street Fighter games.

:4lucina:/:4marth: - Countering isn't working, you realize that, right?

:4littlemac: - If you could stop rolling, flicking the c stick, and countering, that'd be great.

:4duckhunt: - You really gotta roll from 1 side of the stage to the other?

:4kirby: - You realize holding B at the ledge the whole game gets you booted for idling, don't you?

:4bowser: - Bowsercide and smash attacks all day, everyday.

Top Bottom