• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters NOT to perform Z-air combo on

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I was doing some testing with Link to see what characters the Z-air combo would not work on. I found out that the Z-air combo would not work with 11 characters:

1. Kirby
2. Pikachu
3. Meta Knight
4. Squritle
5. Ice Climbers
6. Ness
7. Wario
8. Toon Link
9. Olimar
10. Jigglypuff
11. Lucas

With some of these characters such as Pika and MK, it is almost impossible to get a few hits in a row. While with some other characters such as Ness, Lucas and Jigglypuff, you can get only the tip of the claw sometimes, which makes it hard to perform the combo. Discuss.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
If you mean zAir into DAC or something, that works on ANY charakter, u just have to zAir right before landing.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
If you mean zAir into DAC or something, that works on ANY charakter, u just have to zAir right before landing.
Yes but, if performed on the characters I mentioned it's hard to trap them in the combo and also a bit hard to hit them even if Z-airing right before landing.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I wouldn't say that it is difficult, instead i would simply say that it is very easy to perform on large characters.
I play much against a good Pikachu player and its still easy to hit, you just have to know the timing.
The only thing i would say is that it's impossible against small characters to sweetspot zAir (doublehit) when they stay on the ground.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
sometimes i do the Zair on small characters and it either wiff or i get a 1 hit , probably can get both hits if they SH then link could DAC.

Izaw

Smash Ace
You can Zair combo any character. You just need diffrent timing on the Zair. And having a bomb in the hand is even better, cause by first airdodging then Zairing your Clawshot will get kinda lower and hit the smaller characters. And yea, that only connects 1 hit, but you can follow up with a DAC.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I see what you guys mean. Thanks for the info. You would all agree that those are the only characters that can get one hit right?

4Serial

Smash Lord
What kind of testing were you doing? Was it just computers in training mode or something?
There's a lot to consider when playing a person.
Kirby's standing height isn't ideal for a SH-Zair, but one of his main approaches is aerial attacks. His short hop seems to easily get hit by the clawshot.

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
T Link is right those characters can **** you over worse then your gonna do them by hitting them with a light Z air. vs small characters i find myself Z airing alot less and every Link player(thats decent and played decent people) can vouch for this, yes is is true you can Z air anyone and land a decent combo but it's an obvious less chance of opportunity to be done on the smaller cast in brawl. which is ****ing annoying lol

D

Deleted member

T Link is right those characters can **** you over worse then your gonna do them by hitting them with a light Z air. vs small characters i find myself Z airing alot less and every Link player(thats decent and played decent people) can vouch for this, yes is is true you can Z air anyone and land a decent combo but it's an obvious less chance of opportunity to be done on the smaller cast in brawl. which is ****ing annoying lol
thats why you use melee's trump card, the nair

zair is useless against short characters end of story

TrevynThOt

Smash Apprentice
yeah man thats true.

I be grabbin the short characters more often i find them using block more often.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
You can Zair combo any character. You just need diffrent timing on the Zair. And having a bomb in the hand is even better, cause by first airdodging then Zairing your Clawshot will get kinda lower and hit the smaller characters. And yea, that only connects 1 hit, but you can follow up with a DAC.
You can't DAC with a bomb in hand can you? Doesn't that just result in a bomb slide? I mean that could still be useful, and you can always airdodge then zair without a bomb in hand to follow up with a DAC. Just wondering which you were referring to.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Isn't it obvious that he meant zAir -> fThrow bomb

Silencer~

Smash Cadet
For short characters + zair, i usually short hop then air dodge diagonally downwards either forward or backwards. It usually lets me get the hits on the shorter characters.

VanHero

Smash Cadet
Zair easily hits the big guys, but I've had a lot of trouble getting small characters, all u need to do is DAC, then follow it up with short hop then Zair, although i have trouble using Zair with a bomb

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
Zair easily hits the big guys, but I've had a lot of trouble getting small characters, all u need to do is DAC, then follow it up with short hop then Zair, although i have trouble using Zair with a bomb
To do Zair with a bomb, short hop then dodge in the air, then use Zair. Very simple, you just need to practice it though.

Top Bottom