• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters like Starkiller from Star Wars TFU in Smash thoughts

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
This isn’t a Starkiller support thread.

But I’m say characters who first appeared in a game, or are the star of a game, what takes place in a Universe what’s form a series what started as a movie. Or a book/ manga, tv shows.

But what are the thoughts of the community? Would you accept them in Smash?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So, essentially, this thread is about the usual issues people have with Sora (i.e. the fear of him being a slippery slope to "fourth-party" characters, like Mickey Mouse) and ramping those issues up to eleven.

What could possibly go wrong?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Another case like this I suppose is Android 21 from Dragonball FighterZ. Yes they started as video game characters but are still licensed to non-video game franchises and would also make no sense including them over the main characters.

If Star Wars got in Smash, people wouldn't want Starkiller. They'd want Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and/or Darth Vader. If Dragonball got in Smash, people would want Goku. If you're going that far to negotiate for characters from non-video game media, you might as well go all the way and just get the popular culture icon.

As for actually supporting it, no I would not. I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Dragonball. But I do think Smash should stick to games, and franchises that started out as games. That's a fine enough cutoff point.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This isn’t a Starkiller support thread.

But I’m say characters who first appeared in a game, or are the star of a game, what takes place in a Universe what’s form a series what started as a movie. Or a book/ manga, tv shows.

But what are the thoughts of the community? Would you accept them in Smash?
I would not.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Even if they originated in a video game, I just can't get behind a character so strongly tied to a licensed property. No matter how good the game was, how important it was to Nintendo, or if you could have them in smash while ignoring their ties to the license. This extends to Sora from Kingdom Hearts too.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
So, essentially, this thread is about the usual issues people have with Sora (i.e. the fear of him being a slippery slope to "fourth-party" characters, like Mickey Mouse) and ramping those issues up to eleven.

What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing at all
Another case like this I suppose is Android 21 from Dragonball FighterZ. Yes they started as video game characters but are still licensed to non-video game franchises and would also make no sense including them over the main characters.

If Star Wars got in Smash, people wouldn't want Starkiller. They'd want Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and/or Darth Vader. If Dragonball got in Smash, people would want Goku. If you're going that far to negotiate for characters from non-video game media, you might as well go all the way and just get the popular culture icon.

As for actually supporting it, no I would not. I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Dragonball. But I do think Smash should stick to games, and franchises that started out as games. That's a fine enough cutoff point.
Android 21 would be cool to play as in a game like smash but she would stick out.

But if we are talking Star Wars characters, tbh Revan would probably beat the movie characters. But I don’t think I would like to see Star Wars in smash.

travis touchdown would be a good enough jedi like character

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I honestly don’t think it would be Obi-Wan or Vader tbh. Unless Disney paid Nintendo to use em. I honestly believe Sakurai would try and stick to his word, if asked to put a Star Wars character in, he would want one from a video game or bust

But I’m trying to think who else in the same boat as Starkiller and Revan. You got some 007 nightfire characters but they would never be a thought

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I’m not a fan either of the idea of adding fourth party characters (with the exception of Goku) and I stand by the sites policy of support threads being limited to only first, second, and third party characters that originated solely from a gaming franchise.

That being said, I would love Talion/Celebrimbor as a character and thier universe they belong to. Smashing it out with a raging Mt Doom in the background would be awesome.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Personally, I’m not a fan either of the idea of adding fourth party characters (with the exception of Goku) and I stand by the sites policy of support threads being limited to only first, second, and third party characters that originated solely from a gaming franchise.

That being said, I would love Talion/Celebrimbor as a character and thier universe they belong to. Smashing it out with a raging Mt Doom in the background would be awesome.

Oh is this against the rules? Sorry if so

But yes how could I forget Shadow of Mordor LOTR is awesome

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
The thing is, unlike Sora, you really can't hide the fact Starkiller is from a non-video game series. You'd have to reference things like Darth Vader, the Empire to get a context of his character. Things that didn't originate from video games. In all honesty, this scenario is the reverse of Lucario, a character who originated in anime form, but was clearly tailored for a game series, thus came with video game material. And as someone mentioned, if you're going to go through the lengths to include a character like that, why not just pick the icon? Personally, it's better not to even consider.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh is this against the rules? Sorry if so

But yes how could I forget Shadow of Mordor LOTR is awesome
Character support threads for fourth party characters or characters from fourth party franchises are against the rules as it invites a whole slew of unrealistic characters which detract from actual engaging discussion and emphasis spam by making threads for characters that don’t need one. We tried making a staff-sanctioned one for Goku but that ended in disaster.

But discussion in other threads pertaining to this subject is permissible as long as it doesn’t become to spammy or volatile.

Top Bottom