• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character you want to use with the most

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
but you fail at using it? mines are Palutena and Shulk, the reasons why I hate these but I still sometimes use them is because

Palutena:I want to get good with Palutena since I like her from Kid Icarus: Uprising, but always slip a finger and do a reflect, its most annoying when you feel like your going to get the final hit but then do a reflect that's useless.

Shulk:This guy was one of my mains, I used a red and blue vested one, it was the best for me, then I quitted once I realized how bad his moves were for the direct time limit, when I dodge a attack, I do a forward smash spike, then it takes over 2 seconds to wait till I can do another move, in that time limit it takes so long and they just grab me and keep spamming grab once they dodge a attack, my weakness with shulk is obviously falco.

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
I think I've done a pretty good job of balancing out playtime with the characters I want to use.

But I suppose I'd like to get pretty good with :4samus:.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I really wanted to get good with samus for a few reasons. Ridley I'm to used to playing as megaman and I end up trying to rush cancel.

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
:4villager:

Like he is so much fun to play with and im decent with but I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong with him when facing real people.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
Same as you; Shulk. And for the same reasons, honestly. I love his character, his voice, his victory music, his moveset, his Monado arts, I love it all! Hell, I even win with him a good amount of the time, but..I don't feel like I'm in control with him. My play with him feels sloppy and slow for the most part. His hits are hard, but it takes too long for me to follow up into something else. I'm still trying to do what I can, but it's difficult.

Other than that, I'm putting more time into Pit and I think I'm doing alright, it's just a matter of getting in more practice and figuring out what does and doesn't work.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Megaman.

I have always been a major Megaman fan, every game prior to X5 i have adored and played many many times over (started to suck at X5 on up most of the time). Earliest memory is playing megaman2 on the nes lol.

Problem is the way i like to play these games are very aggressive and in your face. I dont sit back, ever, even when im playing with a projectile character. Megaman cant do that lol when he has so many projectile moves, especially ones on the usual bread and butter commands for other characters, its impossible to break this habit of wanting to Nair every time someone is near me ... and i shoot lemons lol
I tried. Believe me i tried. Played like 300ish games with him and i'd be surprised if i had a 40-60 winrate. I prefer the way capcom portrayed him in Marvel VS Capcom, which is primarily physical with a couple shooting attacks.
Also the fact that his projectiles, minus charge shots, are the lowest priority projectiles in the game doesnt help lol. So many projectiles/attacks just go right through his, and the few that dont dont knockback enough to prevent them from hitting you anyway (lookin at you lemons...)

darkchip1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkchip1
I wanna play Shulk but his delay is just too much for me.
Same goes for Palutena.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I really wanted to play my 2 unexpected favorites to come to Smash, Greninja and Robin. I didn't know how to use Greninja, losing to lv. 9 computers with them having a stock (mostly 2 stocks) left over. It wasn't until I learned more from @PharaoH56 on what to do with Greninja. Robin, no matter what tier he's on, I don't know what his game is.He's got all thse fancy things like his thunder magic and great smashes, so I know he's a good character, but I don't think i'm the best with him.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Same as you; Shulk. And for the same reasons, honestly. I love his character, his voice, his victory music, his moveset, his Monado arts, I love it all! Hell, I even win with him a good amount of the time, but..I don't feel like I'm in control with him. My play with him feels sloppy and slow for the most part. His hits are hard, but it takes too long for me to follow up into something else. I'm still trying to do what I can, but it's difficult.
Same here. I just can't get the hang of him. Also Captain Falcon to some extent, though I'm actually getting somewhere with him as I play, unlike with Shulk.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Don't take offense everyone, but it sounds like you're all playing shulk the wrong way D:

He is technically a difficult fighter to master, so don't feel bad. Don't ever forward smash unless you know it's hitting though... as you point out, the lag is heavy. (later on when you feel more comfortable you may take a risk or two with a read, but it's best to use it safely. or as an edgeguard)

Practice him with zero monado arts. Then slowly build them into your strategies. You need to master the feel for each art, and not just use them because you can. They are buffs AND nerfs to your stats. They should be used situationally.

Master short hop aerials.

make "speed" and "jump" be the monado power you try to master first, they offer excellent mix up speed and potential.

learn how to run forward, pivot, short hop B-air. Don't abuse it but it's nasty at the right time. Short hop N-air is excellent spacing and generally safe.

I don't main shulk, but I've seen both sides of the spectrum when played as my opponents and it's clear which way is more effective.

GL and if he's a personal favorite, stick with it!

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Don't take offense everyone, but it sounds like you're all playing shulk the wrong way D:

He is technically a difficult fighter to master, so don't feel bad. Don't ever forward smash unless you know it's hitting though... as you point out, the lag is heavy. (later on when you feel more comfortable you may take a risk or two with a read, but it's best to use it safely. or as an edgeguard)

Practice him with zero monado arts. Then slowly build them into your strategies. You need to master the feel for each art, and not just use them because you can. They are buffs AND nerfs to your stats. They should be used situationally.

make "speed" and "jump" be the monado power you try to master first, they offer excellent mix up speed and potential.

learn how to run forward, pivot, short hop B-air. Don't abuse it but it's nasty at the right time. Short hop N-air is excellent spacing and generally safe.

I don't main shulk, but I've seen both sides of the spectrum when played as my opponents and it's clear which way is more effective.

He speaks the Shulk life.

Personally out of my three mains, Robin is the only one I'm uncomfortable with. I can get the hang with Shulk and Mega Man, who can play both aggressively and passively, but I'm not used to playing just strictly passive 90% of the time as Robin. Another reason is that I've never actually used him in a 1v1 with a human opponent so I don't have as much confidence on my Robin as I do my other two mains.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159

Yeah, I pretty much do all of this stuff already. Like I said, my results work out in my favor 200+ games with him and only lost about 30 of those, but I still just can't get the feel of Shulk that I get with some other characters. It feels like I'm using him because I'm trying to and I know how to use him, but..I don't get into the same groove that I do with Ness or Pit. I think it's more a case of his moveset not appealing to me than me using him wrong, which is a shame, but I want to keep using him because I like who he is.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wanted got get good with Ridley, but for some weird reason he isn't playable.

On a serious note, I wish I could play Peach well, but her aerial game confuses the hell out of me. I played her a lot in previous games, but not in the correct/ideal way haha... haha :( As for newcomers, eh... Villager, I guess? She has a fun moveset but I can't use most of her moves properly, plus I am far more inclined to use "on the face" (rushdown? those terms confuse me) characters over... other kinds of characters. So yeah.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I love my Mega Man, can't see a better way to have him at the moment. I guess I'd want to be best at the characters that I like from the games they're in, rather than how they play in Smash. I feel like people choose Sheik because she's a good fighter and top-tier (you know those people like speedy characters like Falcon, Fox, Falco, etc), rather than say "man I love Sheik from OoT, I wanna be good with her". For some reason I'm insulted, lol.

I'd like to get better with Luigi. It's funny, I was a beast with him in Brawl, but he seems more floaty in Smash 4. Irony :upsidedown:

Zelda is my franchise, though, so I'll need to differentiate a playstyle with one or all of the characters that other players don't do. I feel like my Mega Man is unique. I've had a few Mega Man mirror's in FG, but tonight marked the 2nd time someone chose the same color as mine. We showed respect during that match. He obviously played like a standard Mega Man, though.

I'd like to be better with Toon Link or Zelda (if I ever played them more than a handful of times ever. Seems like all I do is main in FG against meh people :( )

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Palutena was actually someone I wanted in the game quite a bit, since I love Uprising (might just be my favourite handheld game of all time), and I actually visited her boards here for quite a while before release, not to mention the Palutena topic from before her announcement. I was quite involved with discussing that Palutena leak too.

However, I am completely disappointed in how she plays. I know people say she has potential and people just aren't using her correctly, but no matter what I try, she seems ineffective to me. She has a weird jump arc IMO, that doesn't mesh with her aerials, and most of her normals feel too slow and don't have the reward to justify them. Her Smash attacks are pretty good though. Up Smash is cool, but isn't as great as everyone boasts, I never have any trouble dodging it when facing her. And I like the wind effect on Side Smash and Down Smash, which makes you a little less punishable even if you miss, and can be used for edgeguarding.

I admittedly have not toyed around with her customs. But her default specials are honestly just atrocious to me. Auto Reticle rarely hits. Reflect is just way too telegraphed and is useless against non-projectile users anyway. Counter seems worse than other counters to me. And Warp is just Zelda's Up B, only a little faster, and with no KO power coming out of it, meaning it's far less crafty than Zelda's version.

I also kinda want to use Pit (and Dark Pit) to an acceptable level, but honestly, I think his normals were nerfed too much. And his Neutral B isn't the best projectile in the game, way too easy to see coming. He's not terrible though, I just can't use him as well as in Brawl.

Also, I feel I am worse with Sonic than I was in Brawl, but it's merely because I find him difficult to control on 3DS. I will be just fine with him on Wii U though, and he's way better than his Brawl incarnation, objectively. I just am not the best with him on 3DS.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Poor Donkey Kong. I'd love him to be my best character but he's just too slow. And speaking of which, I'd like to better myself as Sonic, especially now that he's a better character outside of Smash Brothers, but on the other hand, he's too FAST. I like to strike a balance between power and speed in Smash. Oddly he was one of my mains on Brawl, back when he was more... you know, annoying. :p

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I wanted to use Robin and Megaman. But the don't suit my style at all. I reeeeeeally wanted both to get in and now I don't even use them. I ended up picking up Pit as a third main. :( I want to pick up Lucario/Samus as well, but it doesn't seem to work out for me.

Last edited:

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
Im still in the process of using :4iggy: affectively. I don't know if I feel better camping or rush down.

Im also still trying to learn :4wiifit: But she doesn't have the best range, but I think her character is cool and I'm not giving up.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Zero Suit Samus. She is a solid character, but I can't play her like I did in Brawl (I miss her Up B shenanigans, amongst other things), and I'm sadly unwilling to adapt. So I don't use her anymore, even though she was my Brawl main. I planned on using her again in Smash 4, but that is sadly not the case.

Palutena is my main (along with Wii Fit Trainer), and I'm great with her. But I'm not a fan of her default specials. They just don't suit my playstyle. So I don't use her as often as I'd like, if customs aren't allowed.

Last edited:

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
I've personally been training hard with :4ness: after they took away my :lucas:, and I think I'm getting better. Been playing a few matches on Aether's Ladder and was able to win a couple of friendlies against different people.

The only problem I have with him is his rather predictable strategy on FD stages. He's definitely at his best on a stage like Arena Ferox or Battlefield.

On a side note, any :4ness: tips would be greatly appreciated. <3

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've personally been training hard with :4ness: after they took away my :lucas:, and I think I'm getting better. Been playing a few matches on Aether's Ladder and was able to win a couple of friendlies against different people.

The only problem I have with him is his rather predictable strategy on FD stages. He's definitely at his best on a stage like Arena Ferox or Battlefield.

On a side note, any :4ness: tips would be greatly appreciated. <3
This is match-up specific, but if against Rosalina, make sure she never gets to launch you at a lower angle, or far enough for you to need to use PK Thunder. Because if she does, she can use Gravitational Pull to steal your little thunderbolt and make you fall in your helpless state. Just something to watch out for.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I'm decent with Robin but I really wanted her as a main when she was revealed. Unfortunately she's too slow( :4sonic: )

Then there's Ness. I mained Lucas in Brawl but for some reason Ness dosn't feel right to me in this game. I wasn't really planning on using him but I have tried him out a few times and it just felt wrong to me

Last edited:

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I want to learn Wii Fit Trainer and Palutena. For Wii Fit Trainer, I can tell they have pretty good mobility, and interesting normals that I would like to learn to take advantage of. Thing is, given her specials and some properties of her normals, I don't really know if she's best for zoning or whatever.

For Palutena, she seems interesting, but....I have no idea what to do with her in general. Maybe an idea on what her playstyle should be like would help. Then again, I may need an idea on how to play both on these characters playstyle wise (like aggro, passive-aggressive, or passively).

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
This is match-up specific, but if against Rosalina, make sure she never gets to launch you at a lower angle, or far enough for you to need to use PK Thunder. Because if she does, she can use Gravitational Pull to steal your little thunderbolt and make you fall in your helpless state. Just something to watch out for.
Thank you! I always struggle against Rosalumas, be it with Mario or Ness.

TheLetsPlayGhost

Smash Rookie
I want to make my main Greninja, but I just find myself playing better with R.O.B.; a character I never thought I would use. I still plan on trying to main him though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Robin feels a bit strange to me considering how slow he seems so I don't use him that much. I mostly prefer Lucina over him

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Villager he either has zero range or projectiles no middle ground that throws me off so much.

Duck Hunt has a lot to manage really have to sit down and practice with him to not look like a spammer, he also the only character a play regularly that has a up B that does no damage and I feel stupid trying to hit with it sometimes.

Kendude

Smash Cadet
:4samus:. Metroid is my favourite series and Samus is my favourite character, so I feel like a huge fraud for not having her as my main since SSB64.

I've tried many times since I started taking Smash seriously (a year or two before Brawl came out), but every time I've tried to play her it usually ends in failure and frustration as I wonder how to do anything with her. I'm almost positive she just isn't for me.

That won't stop me from trying again and again though!

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
:4samus:. Metroid is my favourite series and Samus is my favourite character, so I feel like a huge fraud for not having her as my main since SSB64.

I've tried many times since I started taking Smash seriously (a year or two before Brawl came out), but every time I've tried to play her it usually ends in failure and frustration as I wonder how to do anything with her. I'm almost positive she just isn't for me.

Metroid is also my favorite series, but I could never use Samus. However, I could use ZSS, so at least I have someone from Metroid to play as.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I love Zelda but I can't seem to get the hang of Ganondorf. Everyone's been saying he's better in this game, but I just don't see it.
I like Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer a lot too, but I'm not too great with either, though the former I think I just need more time with.

SomeRandomDude

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4656-8984-3076
:4robinm:
When announced, he seemed perfect for my playstyle, but I just can't use him at all. I've tried multiple times, but I just can't.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord

Yup, same here.

Well, it's not my absolute favorite series, but it's way up there. I really like Samus as a character, but I just don't enjoy her moveset too much.

Also, like pretty much half the people who posted here, I just can't figure Shulk out. His attacks are kinda weird in that they have a lot of range, but are hard to land at the same time because other than his nair, they often cover a very specific area. Then, of course, there's the monado arts which I just don't know when to use so they're at their most effective.

Palutena's one too, love her as a character, would love to play as her, but I just don't know what the **** am I doing when I play as her.

Mega Man was also this for a while, even though I loved what they did with his moveset, I just didn't know what to do at any moment. But I managed to figure him out in the end, so yay.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
I wish I could use :4robinf::rosalina: and:4wiifit:... they're all so strange compared to what I was expecting, though. Instead I ended up randomly being good with :4duckhunt:.

The problem I have with :4robinf: is that her hitboxes are... strange. I can not get used to where they hit instead of where I think they'll hit. That, coupled with slowness I'm not used to, and I have a character with which I feel super awkward. The exact same thing can be said for :4wiifit:. Her Air moves' hitboxes, especiall her Fair, almost seem random to me just because of the angles she moves in. It's nice that some of them hit behind her at the same time, but I just can't win no matter what with her.

:rosalina: on the other hand.. a lot of her moves act like slower, weaker versions of Zelda's. It makes me like her a bit more, but the amount of control it takes to get luma to be and aim where you want just doesn't happen for me. Especially thanks to the 3DS stick. Maybe when the game cube controller can be used, it'll be a different story :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom