• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Florida's Awesome Summer Tournament 1
Orlando, FL
122 Entrants
$25 Entry
July 20th
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=184074

1. M2K (MK/Dedede)
2. Reflex (Wario)
3. Cort (Snake)
4. AfroThundah (Snake)
5. HRNut (Marth/Snake/MK)
5. Inui (Marth/Pit/Snake)
7. Fearless (Olimar)
7. Needle of Juntahh (G&W)
A majority of people paid $30 instead for not registering online beforehand, including me. I think it would be more accurate to call it a $30 entry fee as a result.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Dang sorry this is off topic but does anyone else think that Luigi is reeaally low in the rankings for how good he is? Is he not being used much, being overlooked, or do I just think he's better than he really is?

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
i actually place 5th twice in SD's tourny but i didn't bother to post it up
it was a tourny with 30 ppl+ and DSF showed up in 1 of them
i am too lazy to search for the result but u should be able to find it in pacific west section
SB2008

gantrain05

Smash Master
Dang sorry this is off topic but does anyone else think that Luigi is reeaally low in the rankings for how good he is? Is he not being used much, being overlooked, or do I just think he's better than he really is?
no, luigi is actually very good, but i don't think anybody uses him, even less people than capn falcon i believe, he's very underrated, along, with peach, shiek, and ness.

Adapt

Smash Lord
she's only one place behind where she was before. so that's not too bad

I care more about her placing relative to the rest of the cast. I wish she wasn't so underplayed

asob4

Smash Champion
i actually place 5th twice in SD's tourny but i didn't bother to post it up
it was a tourny with 30 ppl+ and DSF showed up in 1 of them
i am too lazy to search for the result but u should be able to find it in pacific west section
SB2008
they've been posted kyte don't worry

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
The only thing worse than people thinking this is a tier list is hopeless fanboyism when it comes to where people think characters will end up.
since the tier list is made up mostly on tourny placement and not on character statistics and matchups, then nothing is impossible, even Ike for top tier. Ike players HAVE won tournies before, and if there's ALOT of Ike players who are really good, Ike will become top.

(i'm not saying this is good, but am hinting on our over-reliance on a tier list)

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the GameStop wiimote items Brawl release tournaments
dude look at the rankings, Ike has won a handful of tournies, and if an "ike fever" begins Ike could go to some obscene place like High or something. Probably after 2+ years the tier list MIGHT be correct on how the character ranks among other characters. Though popularity is an issue, if a character is REALLY popular than more techniques + adv. techniques will be found for that character.

oh about where characters need to be, I think Ike is fine, Mario is way too low, Wario is too high, Sonic is WAAAY too high, Zelda should be Standard, and once people actually learn how to use Sheik/Zelda, she should be atleast standard (right now she's bottom)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
dude look at the rankings, Ike has won a handful of tournies
Dude look at the rankings, Ike has won ZERO tourneys. ZERO

Ike did not win any tournaments on my list.

Check it again. NONE. The best he's ever gotten was a single 2nd place placement.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord

Check it again. NONE. The best he's ever gotten was a single 2nd place placement.
Right, but a second place for Ike is like first place for other characters. Ergo Ike wins the tournament :O

Oh, and rageagainst, this is an objective list of the available data that Ankoku can get. Not an actual tier list. So how can any character be too low or high on this list?

dcbandicoot

Smash Rookie
What keeps bothering me about this list is the constant change in what represents "S", "A", "B" etc. Sometimes S rank, A rank and B rank have had as few as nine total characters and other times it makes up half of the cast. Perhaps making it some percentage of the total points.

It appears that there about 5210 points on the list (I've done some rounding). Perhaps S Rank could be 10% or more (521+, Snake-MK), A rank 5%-10% (260.5-521, D3-Wario) , B rank 2%-5% (104.2-260.5, Falco-Wolf), C rank 0.5%-2.0% (26.1-104.2, Kirby-TL), D rank 0.25%-0.5% (13-26, Sonic-Luigi) and E rank everyone else with points.

Then when points are updated the ranks will be less subject to gaps and more subject to percentage of good finishes.

Adapt

Smash Lord
It was based on standard deviation before, but it was changed to this setup (where there is a large difference between adjacent characters a new rank begins)

EX: why should Lucario and ROB be in the same rank as DK when he has 60 less points

dcbandicoot

Smash Rookie
I only make the suggestion in the name of stability. 1 SD of the numbers on this list is about 200 points, that's impractical. This way, there's some set bar where a character advances from one rank into the next or is demoted from one rank to the next.

Just looking for big gaps brings up the problems that are arising now: a lot of tiny ranks, and arbitrary cutoffs that move characters back and forth with a fair amount of volatility without really changing their position on the list or overall win rate.

Adapt said:
EX: why should Lucario and ROB be in the same rank as DK when he has 60 less points
Because there needs to be a cutoff somewhere, or else there would be 38 ranks.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
dude look at the rankings, Ike has won a handful of tournies, and if an "ike fever" begins Ike could go to some obscene place like High or something. Probably after 2+ years the tier list MIGHT be correct on how the character ranks among other characters. Though popularity is an issue, if a character is REALLY popular than more techniques + adv. techniques will be found for that character.

oh about where characters need to be, I think Ike is fine, Mario is way too low, Wario is too high, Sonic is WAAAY too high, Zelda should be Standard, and once people actually learn how to use Sheik/Zelda, she should be atleast standard (right now she's bottom)
Ike winning tournies = no
Mario being too low = no
Wario being too high = no
Sonic being "WAAAY" too high = no

Fail post.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
LOL, nobody is "too" anything on this list. It's a summary of TOURNAMENT RESULTS. You have only yourself to blame, you could easily bring someone from E to C rank by going to like 5 tournaments and placing top 5 in them. If you claim your character is good than you really should be able to do it.

Bwett

Smash Ace
LOL, nobody is "too" anything on this list. It's a summary of TOURNAMENT RESULTS. You have only yourself to blame, you could easily bring someone from E to C rank by going to like 5 tournaments and placing top 5 in them. If you claim your character is good than you really should be able to do it.
I assure it's not that easy. Yoshi isn't C ranked =/ lol but the point is noted.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Wow VietGeek!

Georgia isn't known for its enthusiasm for Brawl, but I guess it's all for the moneys, huh? To get drunk and ****.

It's all fun albeit.

This month will have two Brawl tournaments, but this is for July 19th:

WABA Game Monthly (July 19th)
19 Entrants
Entry fee: $15
Duluth, Georgia

Placement:
1. Full Metal - Marth/Fox - $133
2. Ninja - Diddy Kong - $38
3. Eternal Crusade - Meta Knight - $19
4. Xif - Ike
5. Edoksil - Diddy Kong
5. Devin - Marth
7. VietGeek - Marth/Toon Link
7. Rambo - Peach/Meta Knight
a Ike in 4th place? amazing! :D and peach too which is cool (but i dont really care/like Peach anyways)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I seriously should go to college in the south / midwest if not just to make money on this game.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol that'd be a nice idea. Go to University of Michigan, I'll probably go there too and OMG I could meet someone that i dont know except online lol. (it's in Michigan of course, in midwest).

and also nice work bwett! keep those yoshis coming! :D

Kros

Smash Apprentice
I really feel weird that weegee keeps on going down in ranks, but it seems usual as how he's usually underused in tournaments.

Trapt497

Smash Ace

LOL! Haha oh man that's good stuff.

As far as I'm concerned Ike's metagame hasn't increased much and I just don't think he can live up to the other characters. I don't see an 'ike fever' in the future.

And yeah I definetly think Luigi deserves more than his current rank. He's really good. Fast aerials with lots of priority and such. But apparently he's under-played. Anyone else think we could be seeing a rise in the rankings for Luigi sooner or later?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
And yeah I definetly think Luigi deserves more than his current rank. He's really good. Fast aerials with lots of priority and such. But apparently he's under-played. Anyone else think we could be seeing a rise in the rankings for Luigi sooner or later?

Yeah, he's a good character that's underplayed... maybe, but at this rate: probably not :(. He'd be lucky to get the middle of the C rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom