• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Matchups & Strategies

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Hey SSBbo, do you have online wifi brawl code? or were you the one with problems getting on it? anyway, i've only played one ike, and hes decent, but hes very readable so thats how I win. Wanna play sometime? I mean id like practice against, and with ike, since hes one of my secondaries. and about the jab cancelling, he has to jab at the right moment to cancel it, else he gets shocked.

Roller

Smash Legend
QAC takes care of Ike really well. I know, cuz I use Ike alot. unfortunately you can't do it forever cuz of counter.
That's the best part, when you QuAC past Ike, even if he counters (applies to all countering characters minus Lucario) it doesn't hit you because you are on the other side of him, lol. Then you get extra time to Fsmash him because he is busy swinging at air. lol

gallax

Smash Hero
actually dude, if you want to play ike i play with him all the time. look at my sig. i play with these guys all the time.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
Hey SSBbo, do you have online wifi brawl code? or were you the one with problems getting on it? anyway, i've only played one ike, and hes decent, but hes very readable so thats how I win. Wanna play sometime? I mean id like practice against, and with ike, since hes one of my secondaries. and about the jab cancelling, he has to jab at the right moment to cancel it, else he gets shocked.
not at the moment, but I'm getting a wireless router from a relative, I'll have it monday.
i guess i'll go practice Ike later, cuz lately i've been practicing with people i don't use alot (pikachu, link, ROB).

I don't know many people that play brawl, so i read that he can cancel it. I've only played against a lucario, sonic, MK, snake, kirby, and Captain Falcon. I just play against against lvl 9s, I'm getting bored, cuz they don't edgeguard or try to ko you in the air.

I'll send my friendcode like in between tuesday and thursday hopefully.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
That's the best part, when you QuAC past Ike, even if he counters (applies to all countering characters minus Lucario) it doesn't hit you because you are on the other side of him, lol. Then you get extra time to Fsmash him because he is busy swinging at air. lol
countering doesn't work?! oh crap! i'm gonna have trouble fighting pikachus with ike.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
If anybody wants to play me I have a wide variety of characters.
IC's, Marth, Falco, Pit, Falcon, DK, Snake, and Kirby.
but of course Pika is the best, anyway if you want, Let me know on AIM.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I don't want to turn this into a match request thread or anything, but I've been looking to fight a good pikachu with Ike for sometime. It would be helpful to determine each characters strengths/weaknesses in the matchup, at least in my opinion, and we can use that for further discussion.

So if anyone is up for it let me know.

gallax

Smash Hero
ill tell you what. ill play you whenever you want. im good with pika, marth, snake, wolf , zelda, and ike. if you contribute this week whatever it is that makes pika a hard match for you. how does that sound?

Kirk

Smash Champion
lol I didn't know we were bargaining here xD

I'd be happy to contribute, but I would need to fight a good Pikachu first to share my thoughts :D

Also, I'm not saying I know absolutely nothing about the matchup, but it would be better to play a Pikachu with more experienced and recent tactics...I guess is all I was trying to say.

CaptainChemoX is my AIM if you want to get in contact with me that way.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
I just practiced Ike v. pikachu
me against a team of three lvl nines.
i beat one, and two easy, but three got tougher, cuz there'd always be one that i launched in the sky or off the stage to edgeguard or hit me with aerials (it gives me practice for fighting people, they edgeguard, and use aerials) and at first they destroyed me, but then i got better, i played on pirate ship and when it went to sudden death, i Dtilted to get the bottom two (we were playing pirate ship, i was in the middle) then i realized there was one above me and right when i Utilted, he got me with Fsmash, cuz he was faster.
so i think i could probably beat a decent pika, maybe not a great one, but a decent one.

I'm gonna go practice more in a minute.

Roller

Smash Legend
I just practiced Ike v. pikachu
me against a team of three lvl nines.
i beat one, and two easy, but three got tougher, cuz there'd always be one that i launched in the sky or off the stage to edgeguard or hit me with aerials (it gives me practice for fighting people, they edgeguard, and use aerials) and at first they destroyed me, but then i got better, i played on pirate ship and when it went to sudden death, i Dtilted to get the bottom two (we were playing pirate ship, i was in the middle) then i realized there was one above me and right when i Utilted, he got me with Fsmash, cuz he was faster.
so i think i could probably beat a decent pika, maybe not a great one, but a decent one.

I'm gonna go practice more in a minute.
No offense, but that may just be one of the worst techniques for practicing I have ever heard of...

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
It didn't make much sense to me either, but I guess it was his way of getting back into practice? But I still wanna play Ike, cuz pika dittos are fun, but I like some variety...

Edit: My guess is King Dedede :)

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Ike is usually easy for me. I like to full hop thunder jolt to approach (which he jab cancels) then while he's distracted f-air to downsmash combo. Retreat and repeat. His slow air movement also makes him prey for thunder (even though he can counter it, it doesn't hurt you as long as he doesn't hit you with the counter).

Kirk

Smash Champion
Ike is usually easy for me. I like to full hop thunder jolt to approach (which he jab cancels) then while he's distracted f-air to downsmash combo. Retreat and repeat. His slow air movement also makes him prey for thunder (even though he can counter it, it doesn't hurt you as long as he doesn't hit you with the counter).
If you retreat and repeat with that strategy its hard to believe people can't catch on >.> That can become way too predictable and Ike can just retreat and punish with a tilt or aerial. Thunder can be tricky, but not impossible if airdodged properly. Then again that goes for all characters.

gallax

Smash Hero
i play ike super aggressive. get him off the ledge of gimp him is my main objective. if i get up to a high percentage i back off and try to rack up as much damage i can with tjolt and dsmashes when ike gets done attacking. using the QAC can get up to 6% i believe if you zap through with both attacks. easy damage racker but be sure to tilt downwards with the landing QA so you can cancel it.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Ike has some range against Pikachu, so running right in can lead to you receiving some punishment, so you offensive Pika's may have some trouble. Defensively though, Pika may be able to be somewhat of an annoyer/unstandable. If you can spam tjolts over and over and over and over, you may be able to annoy Ike enough to run in for the attack. When he's close enough, dodge the incoming running attack and maybe chain grab the crap out of him. Get them off the stage, and keep them off. Just a thought, but going aggressive against a good Ike player seems to lead to some pain.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
don't do that often, ike could Usmash. it would cancel the tjolt and get you while you're above him.

gallax

Smash Hero
i agree with pika having the advantage when defending. being offensive can lead to some hurting, but ike has terrible lag and i do not want ike to be alive that long b/c the longer he lives the more damage you can get, which from him is a lot.

also, with the counter, i dont really know the frame counts yet, but i do know that at first it deals 1.2x's damage and eventually degrades down to 0.5x's damage. but truthfully, his counter is a lot worse than marth's and most ike's will not use often. it takes longer to get your invincibility frames and has more lag than marth's.

the most used attacks by ike are his AAA,>B, airiels, ftilt, and eruption. his aether is used for recovery so that move isnt being counter as an attack move. also, be sure you guys know that ike can spike and its really easy for him. its his dtilt. if you use skullbash to get near the edge he will use the dtilt and spike you.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
week six guess says that there's a problem when you try to grab. Who has problems grabbing? snake? DDD?

*EDIT* "a discovery concerning grabs makes people seem to be laying him off on tornaments." snake, cuz of his ability to Dgrab repetitively at the edge of a stage.

gallax

Smash Hero
it could be a prob grabbing. but do they have the problem doing it or against them? and plus DDD doesn't have a problem grabbin! he has one of the best chain grabs in the game. plus snake can do an infinite grab on the edge.

edit* you have the right idea...but more people would use snake cuz he can infinite

**Edit #2** I have finished the marth matchup. PLEASE READ AND TELL ME YOUR OPINIONS! I feel as if I am missing something or something is a little off. I've read it a few times but i can't quite figure out whats bothering me.

Ekoix.exe

Smash Ace
1.) Pika has a projectile, marth does not
2.) Crawling can get you underneath some of this airiels
3.) Greater Edgehogging/guarding ability
4.) Can CG marth
5.) QAC (that's all i have to say)

3)Edge hogging results in stage spike if your not careful.
2)WTF
5)Not really

gallax

Smash Hero
yes ekoix...thats known. sorry if it sounds sarcastic but we are done with marth and moved onto ike.

as for crawling, it really helps to avoid some airiels. most marths do not fast fall after doing airiels and i cant tell you how many time ive crawled towards amrth or whatever and they miss quite often.

i mentioned to get off the ledge if you dont have invincibility frames asap cuz of being ledge spiked.

and if more people agree with the QAC comment you made then ill take it off. but i think most will agree with me.

*edit* I've added the shieldbreaker recovery to the matchup.

Roller

Smash Legend
I HATE ledgespikes. I always instinctively go to edgegrab and get pwnt by that.

My 1600th post, well over 100 today (almost 200), well over 300 in the past 2, AND HAVE THE LAST POST IN EVERY THREAD ON THE 1st PAGE OF THE PIKA BOARD! I'm a beast! I'm goin to sleep now.

G'night guys!

Ekoix.exe

Smash Ace
"IKE"

General Discussion of Character:

Pika's Advantages:
-(Ike has no friends =D)
-Pika's Projectile ***** Ike's slow ***.
-Pika's Down smash ***** Ike's slow ***
-Pika can Chain grab like a god up to around 40-50%.
-Thunder works wonders against Ike because his counter has an incredibly small time frame compared to Marth.
-Thunder works wonders off ledge
-Thunder Jolt works wonders off ledge
-Ike has a reasonably bad air game against Pikachu because Pika is faster
-Pika is faster on the ground =D
-Pika's Disjointed hit box's work wonders against Ike
-Powershielding works wonders against Ike, and especially as stated above, because pikachu has a downsmash and a Chain grab, punish away.
-Ledge HOGGING works wonders.

Pika's Disadvantages:
-Ike fights for his friends. (Seriously, Add this to the front page)
-Pikachu has no friends.
-Pikachu, being a lightweight gets slammed around by Ike pretty easily.
-Ike's attacks have a horrible start up time which screws around with your shield/spot dodge reflex's
-Ike's attack have a wtf hax single hit duration (It only hits once, but the attack animation is really long, ex. Wario DSMASH.) making spot dodging almost impossible
-Hard to gimp without your projectile
-Pikachu becomes a baseball the instant he uses skull bash

General Strategies:
Breakdown time
-DO POWERSHIELD like a moron.
-DO NOT SPOT DOGE like a moron.
-DO NOT attempt to attack him while he's using his UP B
-DO THUNDER JOLT when he's using his UP B
-DO GIMP his recovery
-DO ABUSE CHAIN GRABS
-DO ABUSE DOWN SMASH
-DO NOT Use SKULLBASH, prepare for skull pain if you do.
-DO NOT NOT NOT GET HIT BY A FORWARD SMASH, YOU WILL DIE
-DO ABUSE TAUNTS AS ALWAYS
-DO NOT lose patience if your getting tossed around like a volleyball, remain focused and start powershielding, when your shield looks like it wont take another hit, start abusing your projectile till it heals.
-DO Stay defensive and abuse your THUNDER JOLT

Helpful Video's:

More to come, Gnight

gallax

Smash Hero
hey guys. i posted some videos up that should help in each matchup. tell me what you think?

dont forget to thank raym on the video thread that he has for dedicating a few vids to our cause. :)

and i also highlighted some things in red on the falco matchup that ya'll should read. this was talked about in another thread and guess what, i had to test it cuz people were arguing and it needed to end!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
does the grab mention have to be a grab BY pikachu? If not, it could easily be ness. That matchup as far as i can tell seems pretty even, but woe be to ness when a marth enters the playing field, as he will get infinitied across the level.

gallax

Smash Hero
Hey all you guys out there reading this thread and wondering why can't i apply these things to my game. Why do i keep losing? Let me tell you something. Just becuase you know something in your mind about a matchup it will not mean you will automatically win. You have to train your hands and mind to certain circumstances and be able to react without thinking. Once that happens your game is improved. These matchups tell what are the most usual circumstances and things to implement into your game that will help you. Just keep trying and practicing. Take it step by step. These are guides.

I was messaged by this person who said that they were losing to marth with pika and read my thread but found it too dificult to apply everything i said and win. He was upset because he always loses and he has a good pika. So I told him exactly what i am saying above. I think everyone who reads my thread should definately remember this. It takes time and practice. Practice with scenarios and reacting.

gallax

Smash Hero
hey guys. sorry for the double post but i felt that this should be separate from the above mentioned. i just wanted to say thanks to all the support on this thread. its only been a few days for ike and...WOW. lots of good feedback.

my only question is...ARE WE DONE WITH IKE??????? Any motions to move to next character?

Browny

Smash Hater
It is nearly impossible for sonics to get back to the stage without getting hit by thunder, so use it and use it often.
lol airdodge

Video:

Ruuku(Pikachu) vs Jin(Sonic) [Final Destination]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oKORRIDMapY
that video was just plain bad. Not only the sonic, but the pikachu player as well. i saw practically no bairs from pikachu, and an incredible amount of fsmash/dsmash spam. And the sonic appeared to have no concept of how to shieldgrab.

im not arguing the matchup or anything, but that video is a really poor example from both points of view.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
hey guys. sorry for the double post but i felt that this should be separate from the above mentioned. i just wanted to say thanks to all the support on this thread. its only been a few days for ike and...WOW. lots of good feedback.

my only question is...ARE WE DONE WITH IKE??????? Any motions to move to next character?
i guess i mean you are the op.
lets move on to ness/lucas/snake or w/e
i think that we've covred every advantage pika has.

Top Bottom