• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character ideas you think are overhated?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just as the title says. What are some newcomer ideas you think are overhated, regardless of whether you personally agree with them or not?

For me, it's the idea of a Gen 8 Pokemon. I know Sword and Shield are...touchy subjects, to put it lightly, but I still enjoyed them and would like to see one in Smash at some point (be it Cinderace or Toxtricity or Zacian).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i could tell you which characters are under hated?

not sure about in regards to the speculation scene but in terms of character weve got id say isabelle. i for one am getting tired of telling people why shes in the game

UserKev

Smash Champion
I mean, I get why gen 8 newcomers are detest at. The support for gen 8 Pokemon kinda.. came outta no where. Sun and Moon just released a year prier to Ultimate, where's Sword and Shield was released post Ultimate's released and right between its DLC fighter pass wave.. Its just exhausting and tedious.

Support for gen 8 mons is in a weird position that doesn't feel natural or fun, even for speculation standards.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I get why gen 8 newcomers are detest at. The support for gen 8 Pokemon kinda.. came outta no where. Sun and Moon just released a year prier to Ultimate, where's Sword and Shield was released post Ultimate's released and right between its DLC fighter pass wave.. Its just exhausting and tedious.

Support for gen 8 mons is in a weird position that doesn't feel natural or fun, even for speculation standards.
no. people support the pokemon because they like the pokemon. thats all there is and thats all anyone needs to support a character. it makes perfect sense

UserKev

Smash Champion
no. people support the pokemon because they like the pokemon. thats all there is and thats all anyone needs to support a character. it makes perfect sense
Yeah but Sword and Shield released at a point to where support for a gen 8 mon feels redundant and rushed. That's all I'm saying. You can support them, but somehow they're in a weird position.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah but Sword and Shield released at a point to where support for a gen 8 mon feels redundant and rushed. That's all I'm saying. You can support them, but somehow they're in a weird position.
it is a weird position but it’s also the first time we’ve been in the position. First time a new Pokemon game came out in the middle of a smash dlc cycle. I imagine for many it’s no different than support byleth.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Jonesy from Fortnite, so much negative because he comes from a popular game with toxic little kids.

(Same with Steve from Minecraft before he got in Smash)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I feel like back in the day the idea of the arms rep being four separate characters got too much hate. It was actually a pretty good idea all things considered. Seeing as how they could all have different taunts and victory animations I think it could have been pretty good

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I feel like back in the day the idea of the arms rep being four separate characters got too much hate. It was actually a pretty good idea all things considered. Seeing as how they could all have different taunts and victory animations I think it could have been pretty good
Eh...I have to politely disagree. It just came off to me as forcing in as many characters in one slot as possible when it probably wouldn't have worked as well as it did with Hero.

D

Deleted member

"Anime sword man" in general is over hated thanks to the unreal amount of Fire Emblem representation. Swords have achieved a pretty legendary status in both the east and west for a variety of reasons, so it's really not a surprise when a character who was designed to look cool ends up having one.

UserKev

Smash Champion
While not over detest, Eggman doesn't interest me. I think Eggman has the most boring mech capabilities, he'd fill the villain rep niche tho. I tried to visualize Eggman's appeal and, I can't get hyped. I'd much rather Porky.

Top Bottom