• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Lucas and Wolf have a number of unique attack animations while Dr. Mario's are all ripped from Mario and Luigi, so no unique moves were needed to be made, making him a lot quicker and easier to make.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
We know Dr. Mario was done because he would have been a costume. Lucas and Wolf are a bit more involved. From how Sakurai is talking, they haven't decided any plans for DLC and Mewtwo is a test. I don't think they planned Lucas and Wolf for DLC off the bat.
Well, you have to think that the thought MIGHT have crossed their minds. I'm not saying that Sakurai was just like "Those two characters? nah, hold them hostage for DLC" but the mind set might have been there during the last few days of main game development.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
We know Dr. Mario was done because he would have been a costume. Lucas and Wolf are a bit more involved. From how Sakurai is talking, they haven't decided any plans for DLC and Mewtwo is a test. I don't think they planned Lucas and Wolf for DLC off the bat.
I'm not saying they were planned of the bat. I'm saying that when time was running out, they chose to leave out the characters that would bring in more money later on.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So did a dart hit Chrom and Sakurai quickly yank it out of place at put it on Robin's face instead?
No, the dart never hit Chrom, therefore Chrom is objectively a boring character to be ridiculed at every available opportunity. (Granted, I think Robin was the better choice, but that doesn't mean Chrom couldn't have been made to stand out).

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Might as well leave this here

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Fiora, Krystal, King K Rool

B tier
Issac, Mach Rider, Reyn, Sceptile

C tier
Impa, Black Shadow, Lucas

LOL tier
Any third party characters, Bandana Dee
Is this a tier list in the normal sense, as in hypothetically, if these characters were in the game this is where you think they would fall in competitive play? Or their likelihood at becoming dlc?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Fiora, , King K Rool

B tier

C tier

LOL tier
Any third party characters, Bandana Dee, Krystal
Seriously? They aren't going to cut a Starfox Character and then decide to bring him back with another one for DLC.

I would move more of them to "LOL" but I don't feel like arguing a lost cause. There comes a point where you have to just settle with what we get, and not let bias take over.

Confirmed:
Mewtwo

A-Tier
-None

B-Tier
-Wolf
-Lucas

C-Tier
-None

D-Tier
-King K Rool
-Ice Climbers

Thinking we get more than 5 is just being too hopeful.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Seriously? They aren't going to cut a Starfox Character and then decide to bring him back with another one for DLC.

I would move more of them to "LOL" but I don't feel like arguing a lost cause. There comes a point where you have to just settle with what we get, and not let bias take over.

Confirmed:
Mewtwo

A-Tier
-None

B-Tier
-Wolf
-Lucas

C-Tier
-None

D-Tier
-King K Rool
-Ice Climbers

Thinking we get more than 5 is just being too hopeful.
I'm taking the announcement of the Year of StarFox into consideration, so I don't see how I'm pushing anything.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Likelihood of becoming DLC.
Then I have to disagree with your Lucas placement, and not just because I'm a fan. Him and wolf are the first two most logical choices. And I would also almost rank any veterans chances higher than newcomers, which I don't think we will be getting many unless they really decide to ride out dlc, but I don't think they will since it could really water down good choices for the next game IMO (assuming there is one).

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Last I checked, it was stated there were no intended DLC packs. I haven't kept up to date, any changes to that statement?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
No, no changes to that statement YET.

Sakurai last said that he did not intend DLC and Mewtwo is just a "test".

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As soon as Miyamoto confirmed the new StarFox title, he said the year of StarFox is 2015.
I don't make any stuff up when it comes to legitimate speculation of Nintendo happenings, Golden.
No, he's saying the "Year of Starfox" could have been a joke jabbing at the fact there hasn't been a Starfox game in years, and the fact they had "Year of Luigi" in 2013.
Which, honestly it probably was.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think the year dedications are jokes at all, otherwise they did them for nothing.
But is this "Year of Star Fox" an officially recognized thing, like the Year of Luigi, or was it just an offhand comment? Are they actually dedicating the year to Star Fox?

After all, it can still be a "year of Star Fox" due to the release of a new installment that year, without actually being an official "Year of Star Fox."

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
But is this "Year of Star Fox" an officially recognized thing, like the Year of Luigi, or was it just an offhand comment? Are they actually dedicating the year to Star Fox?

After all, it can still be a "year of Star Fox" due to the release of a new installment that year, without actually being an official "Year of Star Fox."
I understand your doubt, but the only problem is: it's not here YET. Miyamoto said its in 2015

But we're getting a bit off topic

D

Deleted member

As soon as Miyamoto confirmed the new StarFox title, he said the year of StarFox is 2015.

I don't make any stuff up when it comes to legitimate speculation of Nintendo happenings, Golden.
No. He did not.
Literally, he was asked who his favorite character was in Smash, his response was that he hasn't played it thoroughly yet, but would probably play as Fox. He stated Kirby might be easier to play as, but the interviewer pointed out that he prefers a challenge. He then jokingly stated that since it was the year of Star Fox, he'd play as Fox for a while.

There was no announcement for a Year of Star Fox like the Year of Luigi. Just a damn passing joke that got blown out of proportion by rabid fanboys just like the whole "Miyamoto hates Toad" thing.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
i know that list was a joke and all but any reason why you put BDee in the LOL tier?

Because he's doing what BDee fans do to his precious Krystal.

At this point I'm just hoping for vets as DLC. In terms of newcomers, King K Rool is the only non-present all-star I can think of.

Isaac, Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Inkling, Dixie and maybe Lip and Impa, are characters I see having good shots in the NEXT game. Not as DLC.

They need to leave out some characters to put in the next game if they have one.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Because he's doing what BDee fans do to his precious Krystal.

At this point I'm just hoping for vets as DLC. In terms of newcomers, King K Rool is the only non-present all-star I can think of.

Isaac, Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Inkling, Dixie and maybe Lip and Impa, are characters I see having good shots in the NEXT game. Not as DLC.

They need to leave out some characters to put in the next game if they have one.
meh opinions. I would ike to see dixie in this game and save k rool for the next one you know just forthe hype .I personally want more stages than characters though

Last edited by a moderator:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Fiora, Krystal, King K Rool

B tier

C tier

LOL tier
Any third party characters, Bandana Dee
Reyn and Fiora, two character from a franchise of a newcomer over Bandana Dee, who seems to be a mainstay in the Kirby series which has been here for 20+ years. OK, yup, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
1. I highly doubt it
2. Even if he did get in, his moveset based on a spear with no unique qualities, would be boring.
That's cool your opinion is your opinion but bandanna dee is a mainstay in the kirby franchise now and i personally belive he's a higher shot than a lot of characters in your chart.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Man, playing through the game and seeing some of the trophies and ATs in it that we're on my most wanted list....it hurts sometimes....*sniffle*

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Maybe the real Rayman DLC was the friends we made along the way.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Maybe the real Rayman DLC was the friends we made along the way.
Yes! Friendship must prove over all of the negitive character nay sayers for your specific character that you want! YUS!

...now let me return to my sulking wile looking at the well made Lyndis trophy....

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Does anyone else have a deeply-wanted Smash character that they never even bring up because they know there's no chance? I have two - Adon from Cho Aniki and Doomguy. The former could represent the shmup genre, and the latter is from one of the first FPSes that also appeared in the first licensed M-rated Nintendo game. Both have a snowball's chance in hell, but I also really want to see them.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Does anyone else have a deeply-wanted Smash character that they never even bring up because they know there's no chance? I have two - Adon from Cho Aniki and Doomguy. The former could represent the shmup genre, and the latter is from one of the first FPSes that also appeared in the first licensed M-rated Nintendo game. Both have a snowball's chance in hell, but I also really want to see them.
You could say Dark Samus and Lyndis could be on that list if ATs aren't going to be considered for DLC.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Eh, not really. Even if ATs as DLC aren't a thing, they seem like good choices for Smash 5.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well, not deeply wanted, but Ninten and Paula from Mother 1 and Earthbound respectively. Little to no chance. Lucas seems unlikely enough already, much less those two.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
tempo from Harmoknight and chrono from chrono trigger

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Eh, not really. Even if ATs as DLC aren't a thing, they seem like good choices for Smash 5.
Why is everyone talking about Smash 5 again? I mean, You might be making a joke with that last part but really, Smash 4 just came out.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Neku from TWEWY comes into mind for me.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why is everyone talking about Smash 5 again? I mean, You might be making a joke with that last part but really, Smash 4 just came out.
As a general rule, people who want something different from what they got look forward to a future where they might potentially get that something in a sequel.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
But DLC has a lot of things limiting it that are less true of Smash 5. Sure, 3rd party characters are possible for DLC, but they're more likely for Smash 5. Same for characters that might hit 3DS hardware limitations and characters that are currently Assist Trophies, Pokeballs, or stage hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom