• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I am calling it right now ( I'm sure I am not the only one calling this) wolf will be DLC alongside StarFox U he may have a new design for StarFox U. I maybe wrong. I question myself why am I a fan of a series (StarFox)that I have never touched in my life? Also I think if Wolf, Lucas and Ice climbers isn't DLC Nintendo (obviously) misses out on $$$. Mewtwo+Lucas+Ice Climbers+Wolf=$$$ I'm thinking a 4 character pack would be $20 a $20 I would gladly pay for Wolf.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My predictions for the DLC:

Snake: They might not had enough time with all the licensing to complete him.
Also a requested veteran blabalabla

4th Mii Fighter (Mii Blasters, with Blaster-like guns) : Sakurai loves these and adding a fourth one seems perfect for DLC.

Wolf: Veteran, popular, important, maybe they ran out of time.

Dixie: All those leaks, maybe it's happening (pls)

Chorus Men: Another question of time, with how complicated they might be.

Icies: Sakurai can make time to have this duo running again.

I also have the feeling the second DLC character will be revealed in the Duck Hunt trailer. With Snake or Mii being the hand that shoots Duck Hunt.

Note that not all of these are happening IMO, 3 max.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Whatever the DLC is, I just hope the characters add something new to the table.
I hope Mewtwo is retooled a bit, pretty sure Sakurai knows a lot of people didn't like Meleetwo.

4th Mii Fighter (Mii Blasters, with Blaster-like guns) : Sakurai loves these and adding a fourth one seems perfect for DLC.
I like the idea of a fourth Mii Fighter, but I don't think handguns are what they'd go for.

Magic based moveset maybe? I mean it fits in with Find Mii since they're both Swordfighters and Magic Users.
Mii Mage would be my choice for a fourth Mii Fighter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Whatever the DLC is, I just hope the characters add something new to the table.
I hope Mewtwo is retooled a bit, pretty sure Sakurai knows a lot of people didn't like Meleetwo.

I like the idea of a fourth Mii Fighter, but I don't think handguns are what they'd go for.

Magic based moveset maybe? I mean it fits in with Find Mii since they're both Swordfighters and Magic Users.
Mii Mage would be my choice for a fourth Mii Fighter.
I'd like the Wandering Heroes from Find Mii... they could be like the Robin of Mii Fighters... these animal Miis could fight with swords and use elemental magic... they could be like a different type of custom fighter... the color of their shirts determine whatever special moves they get... they all have the same normal moves regardless of shirt color. Players customize their Wandering Heroes by selecting cats, dogs, or rabbits... then they select their shirt color...

Black shirt = dark-based magic
Blue shirt = water-based magic
Brown shirt = summon-based magic (moves like King Dedede's Side+B and Zelda's new Down+B)
Cyan shirt = ice-based magic
Green shirt = wind-based magic
Lime shirt = sleep-based magic (moves like Jiggypuff's Up+B)
Orange shirt = combo-based magic (moves like Marth's Side+B)
Pink shirt = buff-based magic (moves like Shulk's B and Wii Fit Trainer's Down+B)
Purple shirt = poison-based magic (moves like Robin's Down+B)
Red shirt = fire-based magic
White shirt = light-based magic
Yellow shirt = earth-based magic

12 shirt colors x 12 custom specials = 144 special moves (they all still have the same A moves)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'd like the Wandering Heroes from Find Mii... they could be like the Robin of Mii Fighters... these animal Miis could fight with swords and use elemental magic... they could be like a different type of custom fighter... the color of their shirts determine whatever special moves they get... they all have the same normal moves regardless of shirt color. Players customize their Wandering Heroes by selecting cats, dogs, or rabbits... then they select their shirt color...

Black shirt = dark-based magic
Blue shirt = water-based magic
Brown shirt = summon-based magic (moves like King Dedede's Side+B and Zelda's new Down+B)
Cyan shirt = ice-based magic
Green shirt = wind-based magic
Lime shirt = sleep-based magic (moves like Jiggypuff's Up+B)
Orange shirt = combo-based magic (moves like Marth's Side+B)
Pink shirt = buff-based magic (moves like Shulk's B and Wii Fit Trainer's Down+B)
Purple shirt = poison-based magic (moves like Robin's Down+B)
Red shirt = fire-based magic
White shirt = light-based magic
Yellow shirt = earth-based magic

12 shirt colors x 12 custom specials = 144 special moves (they all still have the same A moves)
That's a little too many custom moves.
A wandering hero could have 12 special moves based on the 12 shirt colors. That way we don't have an insane amount of work needing to be done, I mean that would be a little overkill.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's a little too many custom moves.
A wandering hero could have 12 special moves based on the 12 shirt colors. That way we don't have an insane amount of work needing to be done, I mean that would be a little overkill.
So each wandering hero type only gets four special moves? No custom moves?

I mean, how is that overkill when the Smash development team is very large that Sakurai could easily delegate a small group of developers to focus on working on the wandering heroes while the other developers work on the other characters, stages, music, etc.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'll be honest; if there's a character that's DLC in Smash I'll probably buy them regardless if I like them or not.
I won't buy a character if they're a model copy paste clone like Dr. Mario or Dark Pit. Otherwise I'll buy them. (For example I'd buy Lucina for the new model)

I really really hope they won't try to sell us Dr.Luigi or something like that.

(Only way I could see myself buying them is if you couldn't play online without them, but that would be outrageous.)

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
While I hope that all the new characters bring something new, they don't really have to personally. It's extra content. With that said, depending on the cost and the characters, I might not buy them all.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I guess. But what I'm getting at is really priorities. If DLC is offered, it needs to be a deal. I mean, would I want to spend real world money on a character I might never use (and really my only draw to getting it), a stage that holds my interests for a minute at most, music that will be on Youtube sooner or later, an AT that'll interest me once, and an item I'll probably never use. Or, a game off the eShop that will last me a while (or heck, possibly two games for that matter) and will most likely enjoy for some time.

Then again, this is all hypothetical in the end. Who knows what they'll do with this?
There's always the possibility of doing like Mario Kart where it's a pack. Which, in truth, would work out the best from the customer's standpoint. People like to feel like their getting their money's worth. See, before DLC, we had these things called expansions. It would offer new maps, player characters and maybe even modes. There was never a problem with those because they always felt like a value. Blizzard is still doing this today. And Mario Kart is doing something similar. People will be willing to spend $15 if they feel it's worth that. You bring up a good point that you may not want to play as some characters so you wont buy it. Doing it as a pack helps as you'll get some stuff you like and some that may be just "OK" for you, but you wont miss out on anything specific. It also makes it easier to get because you're not saying "Would I really use this one character" but instead are saying "Do I want all this content?"

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Mewtwo might be free only because of Club Nintendo, you register both games, then you get rewarded for purchasing both, by getting something free, in which case, this time it's Mewtwo. This could mean that for those that don't end up buying both, he could potentially be available for everyone, along with a few other characters, but, you would have to pay a specific amount of course.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I dunno, €5.99 for a brand new character, plus stage, Assist Trophy and accompanying soundtracks sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Even if I don't play the character specifically, I'd buy it just for the variety and other nice littls tidbits.

WieldyMinotaur

Smash Cadet
I played around with this roster. It includes many characters that seems highly wanted plus one that only I want and never will get in:

Alternative roster:

Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser/Yoshi/Rosaluma/Jr/Wario/Waluigi/Geno/Cap Toad/Dr Mario

DK/Diddy/Rool/Dixie/Link/Zelda/Ghirahim/Sheik/Ganondorf/Toon Link/Cap/Black Shadow

Samus/Zamus/Ridley/Pit/Palutena/DPit/Marth/Ike/Robin/Lucina/Anna/Roy

Fox/Falco/Wolf/Krystal/Pikachu/Charizard/Lucario/Jiggly/Greninja/Mew2/Sceptile/Palpitoad

Kirby/MK/D3/Bandana Dee/Villager/WFT/DHD/ROB/Ice Climbers/Olimar/Ness/Lucas

Mr G&W/Little Mac/Chorus Kids/Isaac/Olimar/Shulk/Pac-Man/Snake/Mega Man/Sonic/Mii/Random

New characters:

*Ridley (Metroid)

*Capitain Toad (Mario)

*King K Rool (Donkey Kong)

*Geno (Mario)

*Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

*Black Shadow (F-Zero)

*Anna (Fire Emblem)

*Waluigi (Mario)

*Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven?)

*Palpitoad (Pokemon)

*Sceptile (Pokemon)

*Isaac (?)

*Krystal (Star Fox)

*Bandana Dee (Kirby)

Returning Characters:

*Mewtwo (Pokemon)

*Roy (Fire Emblem)

*Snake (Solid Snake)

*Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers)

*Lucas (Earthbound)

*Wolf (Star Fox)

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Guys, dunno, but I think I'm not going to be surprised if there are characters in Wii U version that can be Transfered to 3DS upon conection... I'm not waiting it, but I'm not going to be surpised...

:4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4ganondorf::4ness:
These guys above are starters in the Wii U version. It's strange. The 3DS version lacks 4 spaces, The Wii U version has 4 more starter characters. Four more unlocks in Wii U? Dunno...
The 50 Facts Extravaganza Direct also lacks the appearence of any Secret fighter but Falco/Lucina's shadow.

:4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina::4wario::4rob::4falco::4duckhunt::4gaw:
Weird, because we already knew them.

Even the last direct lacked spoilers... Even with all dat information...

About who, the 3DS version lacks Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Ray MK II, Sceptile, Snake, Roy and Young Link's trophies. All important newcomers/veterans. I find the first 3 more likely. You choose the fourth. To me, It makes lotta sense.

Anyway, again, I'm not waiting it, my hopes are not up about it, but I'm not going to be surprised if so...

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Guys, dunno, but I think I'm not going to be surprised if there are characters in Wii U version that can be Transfered to 3DS upon conection... I'm not waiting it, but I'm not going to be surpised...

:4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4ganondorf::4ness:
These guys above are starters in the Wii U version. It's strange. The 3DS version lacks 4 spaces, The Wii U version has 4 more starter characters. Four more unlocks in Wii U? Dunno...
The 50 Facts Extravaganza Direct also lacks the appearence of any Secret fighter but Falco/Lucina's shadow.

:4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina::4wario::4rob::4falco::4duckhunt::4gaw:
Weird, because we already knew them. Even the last direct lacked spoilers... Even with all dat information...
About who, the 3DS version lacks Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Ray MK II, Sceptile, Snake, Roy and Young Link's trophies. All important newcomers/veterans. I find the first 3 more likely. You choose the fourth. To me, It makes lotta sense.

Anyway, again, I'm not waiting it, my hopes are not up about is, but I'm not going to be surprised if so...
Even if I believed in additional characters for the Wii U version, wouldn't they have advertised it in the livestream?

Spirst

Even if I believed in additional characters for the Wii U version, wouldn't they have advertised it in the livestream?
I suppose it could also be used to maintain hype as the release date nears or at any events they hold after. Not sure what to think exactly but that seems plausible enough.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So recently I've become a huge advocate for Mach Rider as a DLC character. It's unlikely due to his relative obscurity, but I think this could be amended by how ****ing awesome it would be to have a character who rides a motorcycle that fires lasers in Smash Bros.
So I made this moveset. It's based on the game itself, but also as a nod to ExciteBike a lot of his moves take inspiration from motorcycle tricks.

This is the design this moveset is based around:

Mach_rider.png

Mach Rider

Standard Special Move: Laser Pistol:
Mach Rider fires a shot from his laser pistol that stuns anyone who touches it.
Side Special Move: Oil Drum:
Mach Rider kicks an Oil Drum at enemies. He can also use his turrets or pistol to make it explode.

Up Special: Separate:
Mach Rider and his motorcycle burst into particles that reform somewhere else. Essentially a short-range teleport.
Down Special Move: Switch Gears:
Mach Rider switches the modes on his motorcycle. There are three modes, each one having different properties.
Mode 1: Default.
Mode 2: Mach Rider's bike moves incredibly fast and touching him while he moves will cause damage, however he will take slow damage as well.
Mode 3: Mach Rider's standard moves do more damage and he does not easily flinch, but his jump and speed are weaker.
Final Smash: Mode 4:
Mach Rider switches to the fourth mode on his motorcycle, where it becomes insanely fast, has rocket boosters and constantly fires
laser turrets. In this state, Mach Rider will scorch anyone he touches. After 15 seconds his motorcycle will overheat and he will revert to Mode 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jab - Mach Rider fires weak blasts from his motorcycle's turrets.
Forward tilt - Mach Rider fires weak blasts from his motorcycles turrets. Stronger but slower than jab.
Up tilt - Mach Rider swats above his head with his laser pistol.
Down tilt - Mach Rider jabs downward with his laser pistol.
Dash attack - Mach Rider fires a set of three strong blasts from his motorcycle turrets.

Forward smash - Mach Rider performs a wheelie on his motorcycle.
Up smash - Mach Rider raises his motorcycle all the way upwards, the front wheel doing damage.
Down smash - Mach Rider swerves quickly in a circle.

Neutral aerial - Mach Rider leans back on his motorcycle while accelerating, his wheels doing damage.
Forward aerial - Mach Rider rides forward in the air while standing crouched on his motorcycle.
Back aerial - Mach Rider kicks backwards while holding onto his motorcycle with one hand.
Up aerial - Mach Rider does a quick trick flip.
Down aerial - Mach Rider rapidly rides his motorcycle in an downward arc.

Grab - Mach Rider tosses a chain forward. Long range grab and works as a tether recovery.
Pummel - Mach Rider hits the enemy with his laser pistol.
Forward throw - Mach Rider tosses the enemy in front of his motorcycle and blasts them with its turrets.
Back throw - Mach Rider throws the enemy back and burns them with the exhaust flame from his motorcycle.
Up throw - Mach Rider throws the enemy upwards and shoots them with his laser pistol.
Down throw - Mach Rider grinds the enemy on the front wheel of his motorcycle before crushing them, sending them upwards.

Ledge attack - Mach Rider does a pistol whip in front of him before mounting his bike again.
Downed attack - Mach Rider does a spinning kick before returning to his bike.

Idle 1 - Mach Rider looks around cautiously.
Idle 2 - Mach Rider cracks his knuckles.
Up taunt - Mach Rider crosses his arms and scoffs.
Side taunt - Mach Rider twirls his pistol and holsters it.
Down taunt - Mach Rider whirls his chain in the air for a second.

Victory 1 - Mach Rider rides in and swerves before performing a wheelie while raising his pistol up.
Victory 2 - Mach Rider fires his laser pistol in both directions before doing a backflip onto his motorcycle and aiming his pistol again.
Victory 3 - Mach Rider switches his motorcycle into park and then leans against it with his arms crossed, and scoffs.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So each wandering hero type only gets four special moves? No custom moves?

I mean, how is that overkill when the Smash development team is very large that Sakurai could easily delegate a small group of developers to focus on working on the wandering heroes while the other developers work on the other characters, stages, music, etc.
36 variations of a single character is kinda overkill.
With Custom Special moves, every character in Smash has access to twelve moves. There are twelve shirt colors that a Wandering Hero / Mii can wear. Making each special move based on each colored magic would make more sense than creating 12 variations of each magic to make 144 moves for one character.

I mean sure it sorta breaks canon, but it would make the character seem more diverse if you ask me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
36 variations of a single character is kinda overkill.
With Custom Special moves, every character in Smash has access to twelve moves. There are twelve shirt colors that a Wandering Hero / Mii can wear. Making each special move based on each colored magic would make more sense than creating 12 variations of each magic to make 144 moves for one character.

I mean sure it sorta breaks canon, but it would make the character seem more diverse if you ask me.
I am a bit confused by this part.... "Making each special move based on each colored magic would make more sense than creating 12 variations of each magic to make 144 moves for one character."

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding you... you are saying that instead of a red Wandering Hero getting 12 different custom moves based on fire magic... a red Wandering Hero should get what? Blue B, Pink Side+B, Purple Up+B, White Down+B, and Green Final Smash if the player chooses to do so? Like... 12 different B moves, 12 different Side+B moves, 12 different Up+B moves, 12 different Down+B moves, and 12 different Final Smash moves? 60 moves are more diverse than 144 moves?

WieldyMinotaur

Smash Cadet
Isaac and Bandana Dee would make sense. Dee is an important Kirby character and Kirby only have 3 reps. Isaac, dunno anything about him more than that he is popular and from a series without any rep as of now. From that point, he makes sense. Ray MK II, never heard of him.
Sceptile would be cool but he is not very likely for DLC. We already have one Pokemon DLC and Pokemon as a series has (wth Mewtwo) seven reps.
Snake, I feel is unlikely because I dont think they would make guest characters DLC. And I ahve always had the feeling that he would not return.
Roy is popular among Smash fans as far as I know and I think he has a bigger chance of getting in than Septile and Snake. And he together with Mewtwo was the only cut Melee character planned for Brawl. Mewtwo comes as DLC and was supposed to be in Brawl. Roy was also supposed to be in Brawl so a Roy DLC would not surprise me. Although there could be name problems with him and the Koopa. What speaks against Roy for me is that Fire Emblem has 4 reps already. Dunno if FE is big enough a series to have 5 reps. And also, Roy was a Marth clone. Lucina is a Marth clone. Two Marth clones? Of course they could change his moveset, but then people would complain and say that Sakurai could bring in Roy and give him an unique moveset but at the same time decide not to include Chrom because of that he was not unique.
Young Link is basically Toon Link. And we dont need a clone of a clone.
Bandana Dee, Isaac and Roy makes the most sense, IMO without knowing anything about Ray.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I am a bit confused by this part.... "Making each special move based on each colored magic would make more sense than creating 12 variations of each magic to make 144 moves for one character."

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding you... you are saying that instead of a red Wandering Hero getting 12 different custom moves based on fire magic... a red Wandering Hero should get what? Blue B, Pink Side+B, Purple Up+B, White Down+B, and Green Final Smash if the player chooses to do so? Like... 12 different B moves, 12 different Side+B moves, 12 different Up+B moves, 12 different Down+B moves, and 12 different Final Smash moves? 60 moves are more diverse than 144 moves?
Well, if I can throw my hat in the ring, why not?
Why not just simply make a Wandering Hero that represents the characters as a whole? If we can have characters like G&W represent their franchises, why can't they do the same with Wandering Hero? And while we're on the subject, why only keep it to Special Moves? What about the tilts the smashes, or the aerials and grabs? That could be a great way to help represent the magic each color has.

The issue with having them all use separate attacks is time. Sakurai himself said it takes over a year to make one character. What you're asking for is the equivalent of 12 characters. And as much as diversity and keeping with canon sounds nice, it would take forever to do so.

Last edited:

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
Ugh Mewtwo of all the freaking choices they had they choice Mewtwo!!! :tired:
So sick and tired of him he had his time really, shoulda been someone else nuff said!

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Each character gets 12 specials.
There are twelve different types of magic.

Shirt color wouldn't alter your moveset, since you can customize the four types of magic you want to use for your specials.
60 moves for one character is still overkill in workload for one character, even with the team Sakurai has.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sometimes making movesets aren't worth making.. :p
They are likely to be ignored unless you do something to catch their eye.
Or just don't use spoilers, I found it more likely people read the moveset without it.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Does nobody seriously have any input on my Mach Rider moveset?
I thought it was pretty good.
Far from it! I think it's great!

I'm curious as to how the bike would operate in battle - how large is it, exactly? What's its length relative to other characters? Does it operate like the Koopa Klown Kar, in that it just moves around like a regular character and the chassis and wheels are there simply for the aesthetics of it?

The taunts / victory poses are my favourite parts. Really captures his character, and considering he doesn't say or do anything particularly detailed or noteworthy in his respective game, that's quite the feat!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sometimes making movesets aren't worth making.. :p
They are likely to be ignored unless you do something to catch their eye.
Or just don't use spoilers, I found it more likely people read the moveset without it.
Let's talk for a bit, I'll unspoiler it on the next page, as I have a few changes I'd like to make.

Far from it! I think it's great!
I'm curious as to how the bike would operate in battle - how large is it, exactly? What's its length relative to other characters? Does it operate like the Koopa Klown Kar, in that it just moves around like a regular character and the chassis and wheels are there simply for the aesthetics of it?
The taunts / victory poses are my favourite parts. Really captures his character, and considering he doesn't say or do anything particularly detailed or noteworthy in his respective game, that's quite the feat!
Mach Rider is about the same height as Captain Falcon. His bike looks exactly the same as in the image provided, just shinier. I would say it's about the same size as Wario's bike, but more compact. I made a rule while designing this moveset that Mach Rider could never be detached from his motorcycle, and I think I made it work. His idle animation has him sitting upright with one hand on the handle with the other hanging. His walk/run animations however his posture sort of looks like how the Tron bike is ridden. His ledge animation is actually him holding the bike by the handle. He's quite strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom