• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Well, at least it was fun, I guess?
I will never understand why they didn't just go with a 5x10 grid if there were only 50 characters, though, especially if this ends up the complete and definitive roster.
Maybe people were right and we're getting 4 characters that will be added with the WiiU version, but so far, I'd like to keep my expectations as low as possible.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I just love how Sakurai specifically mentioned getting character requests from all over the world while not adding any of the three most wanted Nintendo characters.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
This game is good, but the content is meh. It feels so unfinished, the characters are mostly bad and the stages are returning or bad. Only Magicant and Mario 3D Land look interesting, the others are just retro 2D things and sprites.

Japsy

Banned via Warnings
Well this rosters is... underwhelming. I guess it's better than Brawl, but it's not as good as it should have been. Hopefully there's DLC or some Wii U exclusive characters.
Dedede? Wario? Sonic? SOLID ****ING SNAKE? Dude, Brawl's newcomers were all awesome.
Now wtf do we have? PacMan, Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, Dark Pit? So boring. At least Megaman and Little Mac are pretty cool

Zynux

Smash Lord
You guys already saw my thoughts on the roster in an earlier post.

Roster is decent, but at the same time I think it could have been so much better. Still very surprised that Mewtwo missed out in the end. Oh well, no use complaining now.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I feel a bit angry because there is a possibility, and I really hope that it's not the case, that they made this horrible roster/stage selection on purpose, to sell a DLC in the future. I hope not, but if that's real, Sakurai will lose all my respect. For that little that I saw, even the trophy selection looks horrible, they are still the usual trophies from Brawl, with spammed trophies like one nintendog for each specie, 1 pikmin trophy for each color, etc.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I hope this roster is horrible on purpose.
If the cut characters and then some aren't DLC, there will be hell to pay.
Yeah I hate the roster, too many cuts not enough classics getting representation as they deserve. To be honest I think I might be done thinking Smash bros as that nintendo all star game, now its just like every fighter out with the old characters in with the new bleh.

In my eyes Project M appears to have the superior roster at the moment. (and probably superior mechanics as well.)

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Speaking of this roster being "horrible" on purpose, I wouldn't say it's horrible, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if some of the big sellers were indeed left out just to get more money via DLC later or something. It would be quite disrespectful but business is business...

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Speaking of this roster being "horrible" on purpose, I wouldn't say it's horrible, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if some of the big sellers were indeed left out just to get more money via DLC later or something. It would be quite disrespectful but business is business...
I was just talking to my friend about this, It wouldnt surprise me if they left out the hype 3 to use as WiiU bait if they do the WiiU updated roster with free DLC for 3DS or something.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Wolf is cut. Lucas is cut. Ice Climbers are cut.

Three characters with perfectly fine merits, gone.

But GOD FORBID WE DON'T HAVE 3 MORE CLONES.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
This roster is pretty bad. There are so many missed opportunities to add representation to series that need more of it (Metroid, DK, Star Fox) and to diversify character movesets (Ganon, Falco, Lucina, Dark Pit). We also lost unique representatives like Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf. And why does Dr Mario get priority over Mewtwo?

I swear there better be DLC, because this roster is disappointing as hell. I guess I'll be sticking to Project M, then.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Super Smash Brothers Bore confirmed. Sakurai Star Slam Jam confirmed. Kid Icarus Uprising 2 : Super Mario Edition confirmed. Marketing Promotion Brothers: Grimy Business Edition.

Last edited:

ActionHankBeard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ActionHankBeard
So much salt, wtf.

When we get awesome newcomers through the year everyone thinks it's the best game ever, but they stop giving them and suddenly the roster sucks? So ****ing ungrateful.
People are saying the roster sucks cause of unnecessary cuts, unnecessary clones and missed opportunities with returning fighters. The roster itself isn't that terrible, it just doesn’t make sense to cut characters and add clones in their place.

As I said, I'm still getting the Wii U version. I don't think it'll be a bad game by any means. But as consumers I think people are entitled to voice their concerns with the game.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
So much salt, wtf.

When we get awesome newcomers through the year everyone thinks it's the best game ever, but they stop giving them and suddenly the roster sucks? So ****ing ungrateful.
I mean everyone has a right to their own opinion. Most people probably were hype for certain characters because they thought they were getting better ones to go with them. Personally, I'm meh on the final roster. I think they missed a lot of potential but it isn't bad. But to be honest if this game was missing just Little Mac I would probably think it was aweful.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153

Just gonna dump this here. Not saying you should believe stuff like this, but I see it as a possibility. Personally I hate this idea. If more characters are released on Wii U launch, it should be free DLC for the 3DS.

Also, riots would ensue.
Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks
That's not exactly the best "proof" right there. Bowser Jr having the Koopalings alts was also a part of the Ninka leak.
If anything, I would suggest to be extremely wary of people other than Nintendo claiming there are additional characters. People will try to capitalize on the deception / frustration / need for hype of the fans by any way to get attention, so take everything you see with a grain of salt.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Roster satisfaction depends on what you wanted of course. For some people it sucks because Ridley, K rool, etc. isn't in. But for some people like me the roster is great (Minus the abominations that are Dark Pit and Dr Mario), got all my wanted newcomers -1 and I can't wait. At the end of the day you're all gonna get the game regardless so stop bashing it and move on.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I got some extra straws here, want some?
GIMMAY SUM. :mad088:

Is this roster for real guys? Is it everyone? I'm not even mad. I promise I won't scream at anyone. Just wanna know...

Super Smash Brothers Bore confirmed. Sakurai Star Slam Jam confirmed. Kid Icarus Uprising 2 : Super Mario Edition confirmed. Marketing Promotion Brothers: Grimy Business Edition.
I lol'd. Nice names. Maybe we can get Nintendo to use one of them insteada that generic ass "Smash 3DS/Wii U" one.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
ITT: people who don't understand that clones did not replace their favorite character.

Please get a hold of yourself.
So much butthurt. I understand not getting your character (chrom...) but don't dissmiss the entire game as garbage because of it. Even though the clones are rediculous
I really did want chrom, but his role alongside robin is good enough for me.
This roster is fantastic

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
People need to realize that the new clones took NO ONES spot. It's obvious that they were originally costumes that were later given there own slot to pad out the roster. All they did was take already existing models, and change how powerful there moves are. They didn't even change any of their animations, that why Doc's standing animation is the exact same as normal Mario's and not the one he had in Melee.

Niala

Smash Ace
I guess the issue isn't that I find the roster as a whole weak, but that I find the unlockable characters quite weak. They're either Veterans, a hard clone in Dark Pit, or one of two other newcomers. I'm not terribly impressed by the selection. Maybe it's a bit harsh, but I don't really even care if I unlock any of the characters after having seen who they are. They're all pretty low on my list, save Falco.

Last edited:

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting both versions regardless but I can't see them adding characters in for the Wii U version and not for the 3DS, particularly after Sakurai's comments on the matter.

If they do add more characters via free or paid DLC or via connectivity I'm getting them but I can see people getting upset.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I don't hate this roster, and in fact think it's quite great. I'm just a bit upset with the unnecessary cuts to add characters that weren't necessary in the first place.

I mean, Wolf, Lucas, Ice Climbers. These were beloved characters, and now they're just gone. In their place, we received clones, and from that, is why I can understand why people are upset.

Also, Wolf was my main, so not being able to utilize him again is just very upsetting.

Oh well, the game will still be good, and I'm sure we'll all get over this eventually.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
If anyone bummed about the roster wants their hopes raised a bit, there was this post on NeoGaf by a "Spainkiller:"

**** it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.
Being just text and being written after the recent streams, you should all take this with yet another grain of salt.

Dims

Smash Cadet
If anyone bummed about the roster wants their hopes raised a bit, there was this post on NeoGaf by a "Spainkiller:"

Being just text and being written after the recent streams, you should all take this with yet another grain of salt.
I linked that on the previous page :p
People got a little mad ;_;

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So... With Dr. Mario having the Tornado. We can assume this rule:

"Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same.

The abilities themselves have various differences, but in the main, the only things that have changed are the following:"

Doesn't always apply and Sakurai can contradict what he's said in the past.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Over all I'm satisfied.

Ridley is a disappointment, but was some what expected.

The only real over all surprises to me concerning this roster are:

1.) No Mewtwo
2.) No DK Rep
3.) The number of cuts from Brawl

If those over sites are corrected via DLC I will be MORE then satisfied.

What's up with the removed Assist Trophies, though? I would think Isaac, Ray MK III, and Jill Dozer would have all come back if they weren't planned for a Little Mac style upgrade.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
GIMMAY SUM. :mad088:

Is this roster for real guys? Is it everyone? I'm not even mad. I promise I won't scream at anyone. Just wanna know...
Ostensibly, yes.

I lol'd. Nice names. Maybe we can get Nintendo to use one of them insteada that generic *** "Smash 3DS/Wii U" one.
But it's Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U and 3DS!

You know, as much of a Grammar Nazi as I am, I have to admit, I was pretty impressed when I first heard this. x3[/quote]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom