• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Honestly; after Lucina's reveal, I am certain that Dark Pit is more ideal than Hades or Medusa... which is unfortunate. In fact, he is one of the more likely candidates from my perspective. As a last minute clone, we cannot just expect one last minute addition... and he was in Palutena's trailer. :troll:
Sadly I can see that most likely happening. Would be quite a disappointment as it would've saved a spot on the roster for someone more deserving.

robjay13

Smash Rookie
Now that we have a total of four fire emblem characters, we probably will not get roy to return.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

(Ignore caption; only workable gif I could find of Godzilla making the "Yeah, what?" gesture)

No, but it shows that Lucina copypastas most of Marth's animations. Of positions she's shown in footage and in pictures, there's only one actually instance where there's a difference between the two; a taunt.

Explain that. Ball's in your court now.
Ok... you're judging an entire character based on second-long cuts from a trailer, and if this can be the first time a character shares the exact same idle animations as another, it can also be the first time a character shares the exact same idle animations as another yet differs slightly in other regards...

You're not going to convince me (or many here) that they're complete carbon clones of each other when all you have to go on is this one trailer, that's not enough to judge a whole character on. I think you're getting a bit worked up...

Morbi

Scavenger
So.... I guess Robin being playable was hinted at all the way back at E3, what with Arena Fenox's theme more or less being Robin's themesong.
Indeed. It was known... only in the Robin thread though. It actually extends further back to the April Direct where "Id Purpose" was played during the Trophy Quiz.
:yeahboi:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I love how people are constantly arguing about there being a new character that is a clone when there's a completely unique character from the same series right next to her.
If you want, think of Lucina as a bonus character.
But. . . But. . . How will we insult each other?!

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
I love how people are constantly arguing about there being a new character that is a clone when there's a completely unique character from the same series right next to her.
If you want, think of Lucina as a bonus character.
Why not just two unique characters instead of one and a clone then? Does this mean we will more clones then?

Morbi

Scavenger
But. . . But. . . How will we insult each other?!
Like gentlemen.

Why not just two unique characters instead of one and a clone then? Does this mean we will more clones then?
Perhaps, it does set a precedent. However, this cannot be thoroughly proven until we see one more. The clones might be more on par with Wolf though, pseudo-clones. Honestly, Toon Link was the only blatant clone in Brawl.

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Chrom was deconfirmed and #MonadoMonday didn't happen but I still cried manly tears of joy when Lucina and Robin were announced. The more Fire Emblem, the better.

Shroob

Sup?
This begs to question as to why Lucina's cut in had a "?!" in it. So far, it's the only cut in that seems to show excitement and yet confusion at the same time, almost like it's not sure about itself.

Morbi

Scavenger
This begs to question as to why Lucina's cut in had a "?!" in it. So far, it's the only cut in that seems to show excitement and yet confusion at the same time, almost like it's not sure about itself.
That is precisely the reason that I erroneously presumed her to be an alternate for Marth. Another reason was that Sakurai stated "challenger" as in the singular form of "challengers." The last reason being the same as Golden's perspective.

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
Since FE has four reps, I wonder if Mario/Pokemon will get an additional one?

Baby Mario Bros. are coming.

Shroob

Sup?
That is precisely the reason that I erroneously presumed her to be an alternate for Marth. Another reason was that Sakurai stated "challenger" as in the singular form of "challengers." The last reason being the same as Golden's perspective.
Lucina also got 0 coverage in the pic of the day. That's somewhat suspicious I have to admit.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You know, it kinda is. He's gonna be stage boss.

"but sakurai only showed a shadow"

That doesn't mean anything. What, is it gonna be Kraid? It's Ridley. He's a stage boss. At this point, it's very unlikely he'll be playable. Maybe next time, but not this time.
*sniffing* i smell someone in denial.

Deal with it the trailer helps ridley significantly for playable.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Dunno if this has been pointed out yet. Notice how every splash text has a font color that fits thematically with their character.

Then we look at Lucina's splash text, which is not only a harsh orange to contrast with her clearly blue color scheme, but is also unsure of itself with a question mark.

Compared to Robin, whose text immediately proceeds to follow this pattern.

I think this confirms that she's an alt, albeit a unique one as the first alternate costume to be a completely separate character from the base character. Villager is still Villager, Wii Fit Trainer is still Wii Fit Trainer, Robin is still Robin, and Mii is still Mii, regardless of their genders. Pink Hood Mac is still Little Mac. Lucina seems to be the only case of an entirely separate character being grafted into being a part of a playable character, thus why she's respected as not being merely an extension of Marth and getting her own introduction, but still not gaining the same treatment as every other newcomer due to not being her own character outright.

When you also consider how this is very likely footage of a newer build of the game, it would very much explain why she appears to have different attributes from Marth. Chances are, these could be the very same changes to Marth has gotten based on feedback.

Add onto the fact that Lucina supposed to *be* Marth under that mask of hers, which we see is in the game, and it all makes sense to see her as a Marth alt rather than a Marth clone.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
^That is a really good point. Why is Lucina the only character to have an "?!" And the coloring is off too.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
My **** just got wombo combo'd. I'm so hype. The Sal spell has been broken!

Im so glad I started awakening a few weeks ago. Makes this so much more hype worthy.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I just realised that even though I was neutral on any fe rep, this was hype.

I have many reasons to believe now that this thread will become more positive. I don't know when it will start but I expect better support now.

D

Deleted member

Ok... you're judging an entire character based on second-long cuts from a trailer, and if this can be the first time a character shares the exact same idle animations as another, it can also be the first time a character shares the exact same idle animations as another yet differs slightly in other regards...

You're not going to convince me (or many here) that they're complete carbon clones of each other when all you have to go on is this one trailer, that's not enough to judge a whole character on. I think you're getting a bit worked up...
Just as I thought. Can't provide a reasonable counter but "it's just one trailer, what do you know?".

I'm done with this hoopla. I'm just going to wait for more info that proves me right and have a field day with it.
Since apparently it's a bloody sin to make an opposite assumption to the herd's using the same pieces of information.....

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
No one is in denial, he just fails to share the same perspective as you and I. Let us not use that word if they have a legitimate reason for being hesitant.
To be fair, there's hesitance and there is dead certainty, of which I see far too much of the latter. Aside from what has been officially (and specifically) confirmed, nothing can be called fact. If it isn't flat out stated or clearly (and I mean CRYSTAL CLEAR) shown, it can't be stated as fact. If you keep taking hints, implications, unproven leaks, etc, as fact, you are going to be disappointed eventually, and you're definitely going to lose credibility as a poster/speculator.

Shroob

Sup?
Dunno if this has been pointed out yet. Notice how every splash text has a font color that fits thematically with their character.

Then we look at Lucina's splash text, which is not only a harsh orange to contrast with her clearly blue color scheme, but is also unsure of itself with a question mark.

Compared to Robin, whose text immediately proceeds to follow this pattern.

I think this confirms that she's an alt, albeit a unique one as the first alternate costume to be a completely separate character from the base character. Villager is still Villager, Wii Fit Trainer is still Wii Fit Trainer, Robin is still Robin, and Mii is still Mii, regardless of their genders. Pink Hood Mac is still Little Mac. Lucina seems to be the only case of an entirely separate character being grafted into being a part of a playable character, thus why she's respected as not being merely an extension of Marth and getting her own introduction, but still not gaining the same treatment as every other newcomer due to not being her own character outright.

When you also consider how this is very likely footage of a newer build of the game, it would very much explain why she appears to have different attributes from Marth. Chances are, these could be the very same changes to Marth has gotten based on feedback.

Add onto the fact that Lucina supposed to *be* Marth under that mask of hers, which we see is in the game, and it all makes sense to see her as a Marth alt rather than a Marth clone.
I'll say until Sakurai says otherwise, until then, this is the most damning piece of evidence against Lucina taking a slot.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
I updated my roster a bit.

I kept it 55 characters because at this point it looks like we are getting a big roster, and it has that nice 14x4 for Wii U and 8x7 for 3DS. Also decided to keep Bandana and both DK newcomers because I feel they should be on the same level as Fire Emblem. Anyway... changes from my last roster.

Removals:
Chrom- obvious
Isaac- I haven't played GS, but from what I hear Isaac would use a combo of swordplay and magic. Robin kinda does that now.
Takamaru- Don't have a really good reason on this one, but there is no evidence in his favor atm and he just seems less and less likely.

Additions:
Lucina- obvious
Robin- obvious
Lucas- gematsu is losing credibility fast, and if Lucina is in, Lucas has nothing against him.

I still have Chibi-Robo on there, but hes more of a pipe dream. So that can be a flexible slot. Replace him with Isaac/Taka/Zelda rep/Whoever, if you want.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
^That is a really good point. Why is Lucina the only character to have an "?!" And the coloring is off too.
Probably because it was unclear whether or not she would actually be joining the fight at that point in time. The game play footage removed those doubts in the end.

Morbi

Scavenger

I kept it 55 characters because at this point it looks like we are getting a big roster, and it has that nice 14x4 for Wii U and 8x7 for 3DS. Also decided to keep Bandana and both DK newcomers because I feel they should be on the same level as Fire Emblem. Anyway... changes from my last roster.

Removals:
Chrom- obvious
Isaac- I haven't played GS, but from what I hear Isaac would use a combo of swordplay and magic. Robin kinda does that now.
Takamaru- Don't have a really good reason on this one, but there is no evidence in his favor atm and he just seems less and less likely.

Additions:
Lucina- obvious
Robin- obvious
Lucas- gematsu is losing credibility fast, and if Lucina is in, Lucas has nothing against him.

I still have Chibi-Robo on there, but hes more of a pipe dream. So that can be a flexible slot. Replace him with Isaac/Taka/Zelda rep/Whoever, if you want.
Why would you add Lucas citing the Gematsu leak's attenuated credibility, yet still retain Chorus Kids on the roster? That seemS counter-intuitive.

Last edited:

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice

Removals:
Chrom- obvious

Additions:
Lucina- obvious
Robin- obvious

Take out Chibi with Krystal and this is great.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I'm going to predict this right now: The August Direct will give us Ridley. I've called it! And I do think it's a little premature to disconfirm Shulk and the Chorus Kids, but the Sneaky Spirit enemies do keep the option of a Rhythm Heaven newcomer open. Shulk, on the other hand, still has nothing concrete when it comes to hints or teases, aside from Monolith Soft's tweets (I wonder if they were expecting Shulk to be revealed today?).

Now, on to my roster update (grouped based on franchise):

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Captain Toad***
Yoshi, Wario*, Chorus Kids**, Mr. Game & Watch*
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong***, King K. Rool**
Link, Zelda, Ganondorf*, Sheik, Toon Link, Ghirahim/Impa**
Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ridley**
Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit**, Hades***
Kirby, Meta Knight*, King Dedede
Fox, Falco*, Wolf*, Krystal***, Captain Falcon
Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, Mewtwo*, Jigglypuff*, Blaziken***
Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Roy***, Ness*, Lucas*, Shulk**
Ice Climbers*, R.O.B.*, Olimar, Villager, Little Mac
Snake*, Rayman**, Mega Man, Sonic, Pac-Man
Wii Fit Trainer, Mii Fighters/Random

* Unconfirmed veterans
** Newcomers
*** Potential DLC
For the final roster, I predict around 55-56 characters in total (depending on whether or not Mii Fighters share a space with Random or not), with at least 6 DLC characters down the road. The only cuts I've made so far are to Ivysaur and Squirtle. Disagree, then Snake, Lucas, Dark Pit, Rayman, and/or Mewtwo are potentially disposable options and/or additional DLC then.

I also have an idea for a Smash Trailer for Shulk (it may need an additional trailer or two first):
Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Pit, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu are in a massive battlefield against the forces of Bowser, King K. Rool, Ganondorf, Ridley, Dark Pit, Meta Knight, Wolf, and Mewtwo. The heroes charge against their adversaries, are beaten down, and are shown to be all but completely outmatched by the eight villains. And just as Ganondorf is about to command the finishing blow, the eight heroes find themselves surrounded by an aura protecting them from harm, and their health and confidence restored. A man walks up, and wields the Monado, guiding the very heroes he saved in a counterstrike against their adversaries! We see how all the newcomers and returning veterans act to a lesser extent, but Shulk is front and center, and we not just see what he can do in matches, but even a new mechanic in tag battles that allows him to freely interact and buff his party members.

If anything, if this is how Shulk is to be revealed, then I predict that it will be the final newcomer trailer shown off, essentially confirming every single playable character right then and there. Maybe we'll get it after launch?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Chrom was deconfirmed and #MonadoMonday didn't happen but I still cried manly tears of joy when Lucina and Robin were announced. The more Fire Emblem, the better.

I love your reaction :dr^_^:

also @God Robert's Cousin, you were not the only one who noticed that :drohyou: but there's no much that can be said, i'm pretty sure Sakurai will say something about it soon

Shroob

Sup?
Probably because it was unclear whether or not she would actually be joining the fight at that point in time. The game play footage removed those doubts in the end.
And yet, like mentioned beforehand, the coloring spectrum is all off. She's the only character whose tagline does not match her at all as far as colors go.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I have no reasons to think Lucina isn't in because Sakurai said on the skull kid potd that only those in the website are playable. I see lucina on the website, I can confirm that she's playable.

There's no ridley thing here: it's objective.

But I want to know one thing: was 4 fe rep expected more or 3 rep was?

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Good point Robert, except lucina also had her hair pinned up to look short as well if it were truly trying to make her look like Marth wouldn't it be the same here? In addition, currently lucina DOES have a rectangle with a newcomer tag. (On the mobile version at least) No artwork because she's already featured in Robin's. She's definitely her own character.

Staarih

Smash Master
So we see Captain Falcon in a same sort of fashion than Mr. Game & Watch, yet only the former gets added to the official site. Surely Falcon had a bigger role in the trailer he was in... but isn't it a bit odd?

Morbi

Scavenger
And yet, like mentioned beforehand, the coloring spectrum is all off. She's the only character whose tagline does not match her at all as far as colors go.
As far as we are aware, that is. Honestly, her presumed Final Smash in addition to a different taunt along with her WEBSITE appearance indicate that she is her own character. Perhaps she is unique, maybe she is only select-able after clicking Marth or something. But she is not an alternate costume in the traditional sense.

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
So we see Captain Falcon in a same sort of fashion than Mr. Game & Watch, yet only the former gets added to the official site. Surely Falcon had a bigger role in the trailer he was in... but isn't it a bit odd?
It is certainly odd. They basically confirmed Mr. Game and Watch in Pacman's trailer yet didn't say anything else about him after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom