• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with you both due to the fact that Robin's popularity shot up out of nowhere and suddenly, everyone wants him in. Everyone....except me and several others. I find Robin to be Brawl's version of Krystal in term of overrateness with them not even becoming playable. Has a lot of potential, but also has competition with Chrom, Lucina, Roy, Lyn (AT), Hector, and many more. I do agree that Tharja would most likely just be a trophy to please fans
Robin's popularity didn't really shoot up out of nowhere. It gradually built up until Ike was revealed, at which point Robin's popularity began increasing exponentially. A rather significant number of people would prefer a character who can offer something new to the cast of Fire Emblem characters over a character who would just give us more of what we already have, and thus, support for Robin grows. His/Her popularity is not unfounded. I understand if you don't like Robin (which I believe you've made quite clear in the past), but I don't think your dislike of the character makes him/her overrated.

Hong

The Strongest
A lot of people expect a Metroid, DK or Fire Emblem newcomer to be revealed this August. I have a case that says we'll get someone else despite the Metroid anniversary, if not in conjunction.

First I'll bring up the fact Mother turns 25 on July 27. "Oh Hong. That game is a thing of a past. A mere relic; irrelevant, outdated, and not even internationally released." Oh? Sure. But then I rebuke by stating Mother 2 turns 20 on August the 27th. "Hong, anniversaries go by all the time and nothing rarely happens." True, true. But it's not just the fans who have noticed. There will be a new run of Mother 2 figurinees coming out this October to commemorate the event. Yeah. Figurines for a game in a discontinued series, when a lot of other Nintendo franchises would be begging for acknowledgement. Meanwhile Mother fans have been sitting on their arse eating peanut cheese bars.

Of course with the exception of Starmen.net's Mother anniversary celebration, which is going on almost all month.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment of course. I am anything but a prophet, and this may all but fly over Mr. Sakurai's head. That said, if there is ever a timing window for a Mother character, stage, new item or trophy, this is the time. Especially with the oh-so-likely August direct on the metaphorical horizon of ambiguity.

MYU2

Smash Apprentice
Guys don't believe the leak at all, it originated from GameFAQS.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Ahahahahahahaha. Really now? Gematsu plus? Come on. The thing reads like a fanboy's dream. Ridley's presence on it alone pretty much DQs it.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
A lot of people expect a Metroid, DK or Fire Emblem newcomer to be revealed this August. I have a case that says we'll get someone else despite the Metroid anniversary, if not in conjunction.
Third one's the charm. Er, Chrom. :D

First I'll bring up the fact Mother turns 25 on July 27. "Oh Hong. That game is a thing of a past. A mere relic; irrelevant, outdated, and not even internationally released." Oh? Sure. But then I rebuke by stating Mother 2 turns 20 on August the 27th. "Hong, anniversaries go by all the time and nothing rarely happens." True, true. But it's not just the fans who have noticed. There will be a new run of Mother 2 figurinees coming out this October to commemorate the event. Yeah. Figurines for a game in a discontinued series, when a lot of other Nintendo franchises would be begging for acknowledgement. Meanwhile Mother fans have been sitting on their arse eating peanut cheese bars.
Of course with the exception of Starmen.net's Mother anniversary celebration, which is going on almost all month.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment of course. I am anything but a prophet, and this may all but fly over Mr. Sakurai's head. That said, if there is ever a timing window for a Mother character, stage, new item or trophy, this is the time. Especially with the oh-so-likely August direct on the metaphorical horizon of ambiguity.
I think Ness is going to be kept under tight wraps, or at least as tight as manageable. Given Lucas's likely dismissal, we have to assume MOTHER becomes a 'wtf' series alongside IC, R.O.B., and G-Dub again. Maybe a hint, but nothing concrete I bet.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ahahahahahahaha. Really now? Gematsu plus? Come on. The thing reads like a fanboy's dream. Ridley's presence on it alone pretty much DQs it.
The presence of one character that you do not personally find feasible hardly "DQs" the leak. I do not believe it myself; however, it seems as though you have no objective evidence, or anything relevant to contribute pertaining to its validity.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
The presence of one character that you do not personally find feasible hardly "DQs" the leak. I do not believe it myself; however, it seems as though you have no objective evidence, or anything relevant to contribute pertaining to its validity.
Aside from the April 8th Direct. But yeah, nothing against Ridley or anything. Y'know, like how folk thought Brawl's Ridley was gonna turn out(totally a playable size/gotta include him this time/its what the fans WAAAAAANT) versus how he did turn out. Also, Ridleychat.

Hong

The Strongest
I think Ness is going to be kept under tight wraps, or at least as tight as manageable. Given Lucas's likely dismissal, we have to assume MOTHER becomes a 'wtf' series alongside IC, R.O.B., and G-Dub again. Maybe a hint, but nothing concrete I bet.
Personally I think Ness will be given the Bowser treatment, like ZSS and Yoshi, and will have a public debut prior to release.

Lucas is SOL, though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Aside from the April 8th Direct. But yeah, nothing against Ridley or anything. Y'know, like how folk thought Brawl's Ridley was gonna turn out(totally a playable size/gotta include him this time/its what the fans WAAAAAANT) versus how he did turn out. Also, Ridleychat.
As I just stated, there is no objective evidence therefore the conclusion is fallacious. The April 8th Direct did not definitively confirm anything one way or the other. So using an ambiguous quote to refute a leak that is completely unrelated is utterly arbitrary.

Something similar would be, " the Gematsu leak is fake because Chrom is on it and Mercer was not yet contacted to do the voice-work." It does not actually prove anything and there are several explanations as to why that might be. In fact, it is about as insightful as a post such as...
Guys don't believe the leak at all, it originated from GameFAQS.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wait was that leak not made by Sal, if so just take it with a grain of salt..
We've taken enough grains of salt with this leak to fill a shaker, I think we can stop taking it with any salt and just go with it at this point.

Fo reals.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
We've taken enough grains of salt with this leak to fill a shaker, I think we can stop taking it with any salt and just go with it at this point.

Fo reals.
Why not take it with a grain of pepper?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dix, Isaac and Ridley...

Yeaah. I pass. Too good to be true.

EDIT: Oh, it's from Gamefaqs. Why we keep giving attention to these "leaks"? I think we should just stick with the Gematsu-one and disregard everything else - because frankly, these "leaks" are already enough of attention whoring than they are.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have a feeling those who joke about Toon Zelda (or treat her as an impossibility) would wind up the most salty if she does actually end up making it in as a playable character....
I always joke about Toon Zelda and honestly, I wouldn't really be mad if she managed to make it in, considering just how hilarious the idea is. I wonder just how cloney she will be. Melee cloney or more different than that?

You'll learn to love it! Toon Zelda is the character you never thought you wanted! She can use magic for her forward smash, magic for her up smash, and magic for her down smash! SO UNIQUE!
Hey, that's BKupa's catchphrase! How dare you, Xenoblaze!

Morbi

Scavenger
I always joke about Toon Zelda and honestly, I wouldn't really be mad if she managed to make it in, considering just how hilarious the idea is. I wonder just how cloney she will be. Melee cloney or more different than that?

I honestly would not mind Toon Zelda regardless of whether or not I find the idea to be hilarious. Obviously I would prefer Tetra, especially given the notion that transformation characters are not going to be present; however, as a fan of Zelda's play-style, I would not mind a variant. I feel/felt the same way about Toon Link. The real question: when are we getting Toon Ganondorf?

Morbi

Scavenger
The real real question: When are we getting Ganon?

Unfortunately, Ganon is already an aspect of Ganondorf's move-set, his Final Smash. :troll:
The models seem to be predominantly based on Twilight Princess. So Ganon is impossible unless they want to give him the Ivysaur treatment. :troll:
But in that event, he would not be able to ride a Gogoat, therefore he is deconfirmed. :troll:

:troll:

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You knoe The Legend of Zelda has really bad options when another varient of Ganon is the best people can come up with.

Which also brings up the point that people are ignoring the part where The Legend of Zelda doesn't have anything of value, the series is already getting a lot more exposure then normal, and the characters we do have suck horribly.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You knoe The Legend of Zelda has really bad options when another varient of Ganon is the best people can come up with.

Which also brings up the point that people are ignoring the part where The Legend of Zelda doesn't have anything of value, the series is already getting a lot more exposure then normal, and the characters we do have suck horribly.
Clearly Sakurai disagrees with you. Apparently he still thinks we need more LoZ characters as shown by the fact that Toon Zelda was planned for Brawl.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

I think it would be hilarious if she didn't turn out to be a clone at all. Maybe she would still have the Phantom Slash, but everything else would be an original move set. That would catch everybody by surprise.

Morbi

Scavenger

I am actually quite fond of Smash's representation of the Legend of Zelda characters myself, I suppose it is a subjective notion. I understand that most people labor a disdain for anything reminiscent of clone-esque attributes; however, it is difficult to complain given the circumstances of the situation.

I feel as though Tingle and Impa are fairly ideal Legend of Zelda characters, albeit Tingle is obviously confirmed as an assist trophy. Ghirahim is not a bad choice in the slightest either, he is just not prevalent enough to accrue reasonable support.

D

Deleted member

I'm fine with the Zelda characters too. Maybe it's because I haven't played any Zelda games outside of Wind Waker, but I think the Zelda roster is fine. I've also never had an issue with clones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Actually many people come with the idea of a "second ganondorf" cause we have 2 Links and 2 Zeldas, also... there are a couple of good options for another Zelda chacter:

-GHIRAHIM! :drflip:

-Vaati

-Tetra

-Midna (AT so no)

-Tingle (AT and i hate these guy, so no)

-Skull Kid (AT so no)

and so on

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually many people come with the idea of a "second ganondorf" cause we have 2 Links and 2 Zeldas, also... there are a couple of good options for another Zelda chacter:

-GHIRAHIM! :drflip:

-Vaati

-Tetra

-Midna (AT so no)

-Tingle (AT and i hate these guy, so no)

-Skull Kid (AT so no)

and so on
Wow that's atrocious.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Wow that's atrocious.
Huh? :drohmy:

I am actually quite fond of Smash's representation of the Legend of Zelda characters myself, I suppose it is a subjective notion. I understand that most people labor a disdain for anything reminiscent of clone-esque attributes; however, it is difficult to complain given the circumstances of the situation.

I feel as though Tingle and Impa are fairly ideal Legend of Zelda characters, albeit Tingle is obviously confirmed as an assist trophy. Ghirahim is not a bad choice in the slightest either, he is just not prevalent enough to accrue reasonable support.
I agree that Ghirahim is not prevalent (well he's really important lorewise but he's also another villain that have only appear in 1 Zelda game but that doesn't mean he can't come back in the future)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Tingle was the best choice, but now he's an AT.

I don't think that Zelda is really big enough for 6 characters.
Pokemon? Sure! Mario? Of course! But these series have sold hundreds of millions of copies.

Zelda is more up to par with DK, which again makes me salty that it only has two characters.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Pokemon? Sure! Mario? Of course! But these series have sold hundreds of millions of copies.

Zelda is more up to par with DK, which again makes me salty that it only has two characters.
Zelda up to par with DK?... how dare you?! Zelda is one of the biggest franchise that Nintendo have, it sells way more than DK and Metroid, also... remember that Tingle is really hated by the Western community

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Zelda up to par with DK?... how dare you?! Zelda is one of the biggest franchise that Nintendo have, it sells way more than DK and Metroid, also... remember that Tingle is really hated by the Western community
Legend of Zelda - 68.13 million copies.
DK - 53.994 million copies.

And I don't think Zelda was the catalyst for Nintendo's video game success.
Zelda's important, but probably about as important as DK, if not less tbh.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

It's not even that, it's the part where The Legend of Zelda doesn't offer anything of substance due to every notable inclusion already being present front and center while everything else is not worth mentioning.

Kinglypuff

Smash Cadet
For the Zelda franchise, I think Impa is the best next rep they can come up with ; she's one of the only character to appear in multiple titles and to have decent fighting skills in some of them. She also was a major character in Skyward Sword and one of the main playables in Hyrule Warriors.
This might be too new to be relevant, but I do think Impa is a lock for the next-installment Smash, or could even be in this one in the form of a DLC.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There are some interesting Zelda characters, but in the long run they just aren't important enough to make the cut.

Before anyone brings up Sheik, remember that Sheik was originally a transformation for Zelda; she wouldn't have made it otherwise. No point in taking her out though, since she's essentially a staple to the series now.

Ghirahim, Skull Kid, Midna...
They could be cool, but starring in one game (we aren't going to count Hyrule Warriors here) isn't really enough for them to get into Smash IMO.

As for Tingle and Impa, they bring some cool/unique gameplay elements to the table and are important enough in the games to warrant a spot in the game. With a big series like Zelda, we should only have the most important characters in the series.

We have the core group now: even Tingle and Impa aren't really necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom