• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
I can't say I care if someone like Pichu makes a comeback. It would all depend on how the character is handled. If for whatever reason Pichu is somehow the best designed character, I'd be happy with it. Of course if he comes back exactly-as-is compared to his Melee appearance, then yeah that would suck. :b

Mother turns 25 on the 27th on this month. Of course Mr. Sakurai does not always pay heed to big dates, but it's possible! I'd love to see really just about any of the three leads as a playable character and done right.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I always thought Ridley would have a mechanic like that.

Not sure how it would work with Chrom, honestly. Not sure he would have enough air time to use it effectively.
I know this is acouple pages back but Chrom does have that long air time in his duel vs Lucina in the Arena Fernox cutscene where he does that spinning blade attack from the sky.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I always imagined that would be his Up B.
That could very well be.

Unintentional puns aside, I see alot more possibility for Chrom then a lot have, he is by no means a favorite FE Lord of mine but I feel if Marth can have FE4/FE5 Swordmaster inspiration for a good chunk of his moves (even his recovery which is a swordmaster Critical animation from those games) with his own flavor and Ike can have pretty much his animations from FE9/10

I think Chrom can work with past games and his cutscenes. Kinda like how Awakening celebrated FE as a whole. Chrom can do the same maybe.

Even if my idea of truely showing off what FE had to offer was Leif as a foot version of his Master Knight class in FE4 which he could use all the weapons in the game minus Dark Magic

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I know this is acouple pages back but Chrom does have that long air time in his duel vs Lucina in the Arena Fernox cutscene where he does that spinning blade attack from the sky.
I don't remember this. Could you link me a video maybe?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That probably played a part in Marth's now nerfed air-game, probably to distinguish them a bit.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Jokes about blue hair and swords aside, would you feel that Marth, Ike and Chrom looks different enough from each other that the potential issue of people confusing them in battle would be non-existent?

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Jokes about blue hair and swords aside, would you feel that Marth, Ike and Chrom looks different enough from each other that the potential issue of people confusing them in battle would be non-existent?
I think it'll be fine... They look similar to eachother, but not THAT similar.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think it'll be fine... They look similar to eachother, but not THAT similar.
They have quite the differently looks now too due to Ike being in his Hero garb and not his Ranger one. Plus Chrom's colors are Blue and White.

Ike is a more rugged dark blue, red and slight green

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think there may be some people who confuse Ike and Chrom. You have to admit, they do look kind of similar...

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
They have quite the differently looks now too due to Ike being in his Hero garb and not his Ranger one. Plus Chrom's colors are Blue and White.

Ike is a more rugged dark blue, red and slight green
Yes I agree, I was just thinking that to people who don't really know the characters, they see a blue haired swordsman and they may mistake it for another. I personally won't have that issue, but others may.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yes I agree, I was just thinking that to people who don't really know the characters, they see a blue haired swordsman and they may mistake it for another. I personally won't have that issue, but others may.
True, I gotta remember i'm not on my fire emblem forum atm sometimes haha ^^; not everyone knows who they are.

D

Deleted member

They should also throw in ROB that you might recongize from advertisements like this one

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I can't say I care if someone like Pichu makes a comeback. It would all depend on how the character is handled. If for whatever reason Pichu is somehow the best designed character, I'd be happy with it. Of course if he comes back exactly-as-is compared to his Melee appearance, then yeah that would suck. :b

Mother turns 25 on the 27th on this month. Of course Mr. Sakurai does not always pay heed to big dates, but it's possible! I'd love to see really just about any of the three leads as a playable character and done right.
Honestly, I don't really want to see Pichu coming back, especially since he is a lighter and weaker copy of Pikachu in Melee. Plus if it is decided that there can only be one or two more slots for Pokemon characters, I'd rather have Mewtwo and Jiggly because they are just simply far better and unique.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Really you be the judge.. but I think they look nothing alike.

However, there is the mild problem in the cases where a palette swap might be similar to another.

Also speaking of which, where the hell are the purple palette swaps? PURPLE IS A COLOR.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
However, there is the mild problem in the cases where a palette swap might be similar to another.

Also speaking of which, where the hell are the purple palette swaps? PURPLE IS A COLOR.
Something I like about Ike's pallet swaps is that he has every color of every unit type in his games

Blue for Player
Red For Enemy
Green for Other
Yellow for Ally

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

They're saving all their purple color for Ridley, he takes up a lot of space 'ya know.

Really you be the judge.. but I think they look nothing alike.

From a distance on a 3DS screen it might become a problem. I honestly think it depends on how they pose and animate Chrom, I don't think there are any problems in regards to Marth and Ike, so they can probably pull it off.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Chrom has purple hair. What's with this blue hair stuff I hear all the time?

D

Deleted member

Something I like about Ike's pallet swaps is that he has every color of every unit type in his games

Blue for Player
Red For Enemy
Green for Other
Yellow for Ally
Roy had the same deal with his palettes. However, Roy had this, which is still probably my favorite palette swap in the entire series.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Ok, so I’ve been there will most likely be about forty-five to fifty character slots for Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. I think 50 is a bit much for the 3DS, but I’m not saying I completely just don’t believe it, as I can with the rest of this prediction. This is my list of predicted characters and why I think they’d make a return (f I can think of a reason for each);

• Shulk (Xenoblade) – I just hear a ton of speculation about it, I think it could be probable.

• Chrom (Fire Emblem) – Same as Shulk, plus, he’s a fan favorite in the Fire Emblem series now.

• Jigglypuff (Pokémon) – it’s not yet once not made an appearance as of yet.

• Captain Falcon (F-Zero) – Same as Jigglypuff, plus, his Falcon Punch has become a staple in and out of the Super Smash Bros. series because of Super Smash Bros..

• Ness (Earth Bound) – Again, another of the original twelve.

• Wario (Warioware) – It just seems wrong not to bring Wario back, he was so unique, it was amazing.

• Mr. Game &Watch (Game & Watch) – Hate to say it but… Pac Man trailer, nuff said.

And here are my iffy ones.

• Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda) – He’s the third part of the triforce and the main villain in TLoZ, sure his move set should be changed, but I’m hoping he stays in, he could easily have been cut though… sadly.

• Falco or Wolf, but not both (Star Fox) – Why don’t I think both? Well, I know Wolf isn’t an exact clone, and that’s why I think he should stay. But Falco kind of is a clone, but he’s also a fan favorite. I honestly hope they include both, but I doubt it.

• R.O.B. (R.O.B.) – I don’t know what to say about him… except I hope he doesn’t return.

Character I don’t think are coming back.

• Ice Climbers (Ice Climbers) – Yes I know, they’ve been in since Melee, but they’re kind of blah. They completely depend on each other for their recovery and other things and that sucks. I’m aware that there is Rosalina and Luma but Rosalina isn’t utterly dependent on Luma, though she loses a bit of her flare, Rosalina can handle being a standalone character. Honestly hoping they don’t return.
  • Metaknight (Kirby) – Don’t get mad at me, because I’m honestly hoping Metaknight makes a return… but something is making me doubt it… they’d have to nerf him definitely.
  • Mew Two (Pokémon) – Despite his new mega-evolutions… nope… although his fighting mega would be a good edition.

In addition, I believe the starting Roster will consist of fourteen characters; Link, Mario, Pit, Pikachu, Villager, Samus, Marth, Rosalina, Kirby, Yoshi, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Peach, Donkey Kong. Why? That's all of the characters on both covers combined. With the exception of Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, they usually put the whole starting roster on the cover, am I wrong? Of course they’ll most likely have more than that starting since fourteen out of fifty—hell, even forty sounds like a lot of unlocking and of course I’m aware I’m missing some (Fox, etc.) but like I said… pretty sure this won’t be all the starting roster, but we shall see.
wow what are you thinking takeing out mewtwo and meta knight your roster is crazy

Hong

The Strongest
To go back to the Ike/Chrom similarities paradigm:

Can't recall if there was an official statement anywhere, but Chrom is rather deliberately based off of Ike. Ike started a new subset of the lead/Lord archetype which is more aesthetically and functionally similar to the Mercenary class. They are much more robust and overall stronger than the classic Lord, as seen with folks like Marth and Eliwood. It's not just function; Chrom built upon a lot of what Ike started with how he is presented, even down to the strange obsession with having his sword in the ground at all times while not in use. Even after he pulls the sword out, he assumes a stance almost identical to Ike in Radiant dawn.

And of course, the similarities in costume. Chrom can be summarized as a royal rendition of Ike with a little more flair. Which would make sense, since even if Ike was a Lord in function, Chrom is an actual Lord by right. New colours, torn cape moved to the left, a semblance of signs any time was spent on his hair instead of just tussled up with a headband. That said, in terms of physique, he is actually much more close to Marth than Ike. Especially now that Marth's design reveals his reasonably built arms. It might be easy to miss, but Marth is actually quite the tall man, and might even be taller than Chrom.

If Chrom is a playable character, they'll be trying their hardest to highlight the whites and give him his rather primitive sidelong fighting stance. I don't think a design team with as much experience as Bandai Namco will have a hard time making sure Chrom is easy to identify from Ike in-game, though there will be raised eyebrows from the fans regardless.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
To go back to the Ike/Chrom similarities paradigm:

Can't recall if there was an official statement anywhere, but Chrom is rather deliberately based off of Ike. Ike started a new subset of the lead/Lord archetype which is more aesthetically and functionally similar to the Mercenary class. They are much more robust and overall stronger than the classic Lord, as seen with folks like Marth and Eliwood. It's not just function; Chrom built upon a lot of what Ike started with how he is presented, even down to the strange obsession with having his sword in the ground at all times while not in use. Even after he pulls the sword out, he assumes a stance almost identical to Ike in Radiant dawn.

And of course, the similarities in costume. Chrom can be summarized as a royal rendition of Ike with a little more flair. Which would make sense, since even if Ike was a Lord in function, Chrom is an actual Lord by right. New colours, torn cape moved to the left, a semblance of signs any time was spent on his hair instead of just tussled up with a headband. That said, in terms of physique, he is actually much more close to Marth than Ike. Especially now that Marth's design reveals his reasonably built arms. It might be easy to miss, but Marth is actually quite the tall man, and might even be taller than Chrom.

If Chrom is a playable character, they'll be trying their hardest to highlight the whites and give him his rather primitive sidelong fighting stance. I don't think a design team with as much experience as Bandai Namco will have a hard time making sure Chrom is easy to identify from Ike in-game, though there will be raised eyebrows from the fans regardless.
Well I know for a fact that Ike was based on Hector, heck the name Paris was his beta name. As a reference to the connection the two had in lore.

I think Chrom will stick out just fine, Sakurai has stumbled in the past but this game has given me full confidence that "another blue haired swordsman" will dazzle.

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
In fire emblem I'm sure they seem different but when you put them all in the diverse cast of super smash bros. they blend together as blue hair swordsman. Especially to someone who has never played the games before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom