• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Chrom?

I'd prefer Chrom & Lucina as an Ice Climbers team.
I really feel that we should have another character with the Ice Climbers gimmick. It would be pretty unique for whoever it is done with, and there are a bunch of possibilities.
- Plusle & Minun (electric-based, and would be like 2 Pichus, but without recoil and more unique)
- Chrom & Lucina (Chrom as a heavy swordsman, and Lucina as a quick and agile one)
- Rick & Gooey (I don't know how is would work, but it would be cool)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What's wrong with Robin? It's a surprising choice for me, and I'll gladly take Robin over Chrom. Though people do have different tastes when it come to these things...

But I would prefer a revamped Roy above all... espeically if they put more emphasis on his sword's fire properties. Making him spew out fire and utilizing it in different ways is kinda magic-like, no? Bah, who am I kidding. I doubt something like that will happen. I just love the SoS as it's such a unique sword. It saddens me that we'll never see its full potential (hell, Ragnell is pretty unique too, why not make it fire a projectile? As long as it's balanced, right?).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Chrom?

I'd prefer Chrom & Lucina as an Ice Climbers team.
No,this can't be happening!

BluePikmin hypnotized you!
OH THE HORROR.

Another IC duo would only be more redundancy.
I think that the IC duo was really what made the characters themselves so innovative and unique/different from the rest of the roster. I believe that (in my own perspective) adding another duo just like the IC seems like a message from Sakurai saying : "Look at me. Look how I ran out of ideas for duos."

Rosalina/Luma duo was a perfect way to create a new system of dual characters. If Sakurai can do the same with CL duo without showing perspectives from the ICs,then I might consider it worthy in my book.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I personally don't hate Robin, I just never found the idea particularly interesting or likely.
But then I changed my mind, I'm really keen on it now.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
For some reason, I'm not that doubtful on Lucina being a Marth alt.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Roy? Ew, I'll definitely pass. I don't even want decloned Roy as I'd rather see a Fire Emblem Awakening newcomer. As long as Ike stays, I'll be good.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Roy? Ew, I'll definitely pass. I don't even want decloned Roy as I'd rather see a Fire Emblem Awakening newcomer. As long as Ike stays, I'll be good.
Ike? Ew, he should be cut, I'd rather an Awakening newcomer replace him. Marth is already here, so I'm good.

:troll:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm totally fine with just Marth and Ike. I don't think we really need a new FE character, particularly another sword wielder.

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
I'm totally fine with just Marth and Ike. I don't think we really need a new FE character, particularly another sword wielder.
Thing is, the FE community is a decent size and the game is still on-going with a new one pretty recently. I think we're probably going to get another rep which I don't mind.

I like seeing some of the smaller repped games getting more characters to play as.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ike? Ew, he should be cut, I'd rather an Awakening newcomer replace him. Marth is already here, so I'm good.

Marth? Ew, I don't want to see him. I'd rather see a Game & Watch newcomer replace him. Rosalina is already here, so I'm good.

In all seriousness, I'd be disappointed if we only get 2 FE characters. I don't know if Sakurai really cares about these things, but it's not like 3 characters is impossible. Meh, FE is a niche series that still manages to pump out games (unlike other series on the roster). It's quite astonishing when you think about it.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Thing is, the FE community is a decent size and the game is still on-going with a new one pretty recently. I think we're probably going to get another rep which I don't mind.

I like seeing some of the smaller repped games getting more characters to play as.
If that's the case at least let it be a magic user, or somebody with an axe or spear. We got enough boys waving around their swords already.

Last edited:

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
If that's the case at least let it be a magic user, or somebody with an axe or spear. We got enough boys waving around their swords already.
Technically we currently have more Pokemon confirmed than swordsmen. But I get what you're saying, diversity is never a bad thing.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Technically we currently have more Pokemon confirmed than swordsmen. But I get what you're saying, diversity is never a bad thing.
To be fair, when said pokémon don't play alike at all- Oh I guess that can be said for the swordsmen. Honestly, sword men don't need diversity, Fire Emblem swordsmen need diversity. If the FE roster really does end up being Marth, Ike, and Chrom, it's going to be PATHETIC.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm probably the only one that would be okay with only Marth.
I mean, the more the merrier, but I really don't care too much about Fire Emblem representation.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm probably the only one that would be okay with only Marth.
You aren't the only guy.
Personally, I don't see the need to have more than two, honestly, and for me, that's even a little much. I like Ike and all, but personally, I don't see the need to have that many FE characters, and if Chrom replaces him, so be it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, when said pokémon don't play alike at all- Oh I guess that can be said for the swordsmen. Honestly, sword men don't need diversity, Fire Emblem swordsmen need diversity. If the FE roster really does end up being Marth, Ike, and Chrom, it's going to be PATHETIC.
But if they all play differently, would it really be pathetic?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Not if it differentiates itself enough from IC.
A swordsmen team, with one being strong and heavy, and the other being fast and agile, would definitley do this.
How exactly would game mechanics work for this? It already sounds overpowered and cheap.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Would they really play so differently, though?
They easily could. Ike and Marth are already vastly different, and there are quite a few options for Chrom to use to continue that.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
But if they all play differently, would it really be pathetic?
Well, even if Chrom is really setting himself apart with his other weapons, it's just going to make Fire Emblem look like an extremely limited series. Seriously, even though they're not going to be even semi-clones of each other, it's worse than the Star Fox series.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
They easily could. Ike and Marth are already vastly different, and there are quite a few options for Chrom to use to continue that.
Yes, I've heard quite a bit of your ideas for move sets for Chrom. However, I find most of them very unlikely or not very fitting for Chrom. Perhaps you could elaborate on what kind of options Chrom has available that would make him very distinct from the opposite-style swordsmen we already have?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
How exactly would game mechanics work for this? It already sounds overpowered and cheap.
I'm not the most technical Smash player, so I wouldn't really now how to answer this. :p
But I do know one thing. When there's a Sakurai, there's a way.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
That doesn't work considering everyone wants to see Marth.

In bed.
Everyone confirmed for having their mind in the gutter.

Seriously, what's with you people? I know that Marth is very pretty, heck, she's probably the most beautiful character on the roster! But sometime you need to distinguish fiction from reality and vice versa. This is Super Smash, a unique fighting game, not a visual novel. Although I wouldn't object to a visual novel adaptation...

I'm joking, I'm joking. :laugh:

I remember I had some ideas for Chrom... but you know me, I'm not the best at these things, but I'll see if I could find that post.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, I've heard quite a bit of your ideas for move sets for Chrom. However, I find most of them very unlikely or not very fitting for Chrom. Perhaps you could elaborate on what kind of options Chrom has available that would make him very distinct from the opposite-style swordsmen we already have?
I actually just posted a mostly Falchion-only (minus like, two moves) moveset for him yesterday in the Chrom thread, if you want to give it a look.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'm not the most technical Smash player, so I wouldn't really now how to answer this. :p
But I do know one thing. When there's a Sakurai, there's a way.
I suppose so, but I sure cant see it. I guess just another of the many reasons I don't work for Nintendo though.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
After Chrom, Roy, Robin and Lucina, I would say its fair game for pretty much any newcomer.

Do we need an FE newcomer? Probably not. Will we get one? I think so, considering we were meant to have Marth, Ike and Roy as playable in Brawl. 3 characters meant for Brawl. And considering that FE is at an all time high in popularity and recency (not that those are the only factors to consider for newcomers) I would say that 3 FE characters is a safe bet..

What we will actually get is quite unpredictable though. Could be Chrom being the most recent main character. Could be Lucina to push the number of females in the game. Could be Robin to push uniqueness. Could be Roy because he was meant for Brawl. Whatever it ends up being, im okay with because FE has a lot of colorful characters, each deserving some level of representation.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In order to calm the thread a bit, as there seem to be clashing views going on (wouldn't want it to get out of hand, haha), I finished my Chrom moveset. I tried to use some of (what I thought were) the really cool ideas I've seen for him or thought up over time, and make a cohesive and strategic moveset from it, while still staying true to the character.

Neutral Special - Rightful King - Chrom lifts the Falchion high into the air. If the button is held, Chrom begins to become embued with Naga's Holy Fire. After three seconds, the Falchion becomes the Exalted Falchion. All attacks now have the chance to heal Chrom for some damage if he performs a three or more attack string. This effect lasts as long as Chrom's current stock does. Like Olimar's Pikmin, Chrom will need to re-perform the Awakening ritual to regain the Exalted Falchion.
Side Special - Luna - Chrom tosses a Spear forward in an arc. The arc can be controlled, and Chrom can move slowly while charging. This can break shields when fully charged.
Up Special - Sol - Chrom leaps into the air, and comes crashing diagonally downwards with a heavy sword swing. This is similar in execution to Dedede's Super Jump.
Down Special - Counter - A staple of the Fire Emblem characters, Chrom takes a parry stance, and if hit, slices into the attacker. This is different, though, in the sense that it is mainly an anti-air counter due to the direction Chrom's holding the Falchion. If it hits an aerial opponent, they're smacked to the ground. This makes an easy string into the Down Smash.

Side Smash - Chrom dashes forward up to one Bowser length and stabs the opponent with his Falchion.
Up Smash - Chrom charges up with divine dragon energy and stabs his Falchion skyward. Has a burst effect afterwards, where if the opponent is hit, a burst of divine energy can damage those in close proximity without direct contact.
Down Smash - Chrom gets down low. While charging, he enters a bowing position, as if praying to Naga. When released, the result is a quick energy blast from the Falchion and Shield of Seals, hitting both sides of Chrom's body. The energy hits along the ground and sort of makes a wave ripple effect away from Chrom.
Dash Attack - Chrom runs jumps, stabbing the opponent with the Falchion. This knocks the foe upwards, allowing for easy juggle-starting.
Neutral Combo - Chrom swings the Falchion left and right, followed by a spinning slash.
Side Tilt - Chrom swings the Falchion over his head very quickly downward. This move has increased priority and focuses on getting the hit before the opponent does.
Up Tilt - Chrom does a short upward lunge and swings the sword in an overhead arc. What appears as a simple move on the surface is actually a huge help for Chrom's juggling. This allows him to reach Aether more quickly under the effect of Rightful King, so this works well as a damage healer.
Down Tilt - Chrom's Falchion goes from orange glow to blue glow as he quickly kneals and stabs his Falchion into the ground. This sends the foe skyward with ample upward knockback for a down tilt.
Neutral Aerial - Chrom extends his Falchion arm and twirls the blade and his body in mid-air. Low knockback, resulting in easy air combos.
Forward Aerial - Chrom swings the Falchion with both hands over his head, doing a flip in the process.
Backward Aerial - Chrom makes an arc with the Falchion from the forward position downward, and then back, passing the front of his body. It is interesting as this Back Air manages to hit both sides, though the forward hitbox is much smaller and harder to hit with. This works well with dragging the foe closer to you in the air, using a suction effect. This allows for easier air-juggling.
Up Aerial - Chrom does a mid-air backflip and extends his sword upward while doing so, then back, giving a mid-air windshield-wiper type effect as far as appearance. The two hits assist with Aether.
Down Aerial - Chrom stabs his Falchion downward, and then scoops the foe into the air with it (so the motion is down, then arc to the side).
Pummel - Chrom holds the foe in one hand and begins to hit them with the hilt of the Falchion.
Forward Throw - Chrom holds the foe in place, and then stabs them with enough force to send them forward.
Backward Throw - Chrom grabs the foe, throws them over his shoulder. A simple throw.
Up Throw - Chrom throws the opponent up, skewering them on the Falchion to give ample vertical knockback.
Down Throw - Chrom holds the foe in place, leaps up, and bashes them with the hilt of the Falchion.
Ledge Attack - Chrom leaps from the ledge while swinging the Falchion in a circle.
Get-Up Attack - Chrom stabs his sword into the ground, which he then uses to prop himself up.
Final Smash - Shepherd Raid - Some of the other Shepherds appear and attack the stage. Sumia and Cordelia knock foes out of the air, Vaike, Frederick, Stahl and Sully ambush those on the ground, Gaius steals foes' items, Lissa heals Chrom, Lucina mimics Chrom's moves, and Robin hits foes at a distance with Thoron. Kellam's in the background.

Chrom is very good at getting the foe into the air, where he will juggle them to no end, healing himself in the process. This is based both on the Exalted Falchion's healing ability, as well as Chrom's prowess for jump-and-strike sword attacks in Awakening. However, he's not without his faults. Chrom wears very light armor, so he's easily knocked away, but at the same time, he falls decently quickly (similar to Fox in a way). In addition, Chrom lacks a bit of range, minus one projectile. The two moves with longer range, the Down Smash and Side Special, don't utilize the Falchion, so while they give Chrom more utility, they can't be used to get Aether working, and will break the chain if used. Chrom also needs to activate Aether once per stock, so he must space well enough to allow for the small charge time without being hit. Over all, he's a character that's generally pick-up-and-play, but can pull off some really technical stuff at higher levels of play. The strategy needed for his playstyle is analogous to the fact that Fire Emblem is a strategic game series.
Well, this is probably one of the better Chrom ideas I've seen (although I'm pretty sure Chrom can't learn Sol). The Rightful King/Aether (what exactly are you calling it?) idea is interesting, it fits with his character and would make him unique. I do have to wonder if such an ability would be overpowered, though. After all, Chrom only needs a bit of time to charge it up, and then he'll be healing himself constantly until he gets knocked out, which is prolonged by the fact that he's constantly healing himself. Aside from that, there's also the issue that Ike also uses Aether as a move, yet doesn't get all the benefits Chrom does from it. It strikes me as odd that the signature ability of one person is just a basic attack for them, but on another person, the same ability is an entirely unique and very powerful move.

Overall, I think it's probably the best looking Chrom move set I've seen so far, but I think it still has a few issues.

I still prefer Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom