• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The Chorus men are a bit bland but they could borrow heavily from the other mini-games in the Rhythm series. They actually make some sense when you really think about it.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I want to know more about move customization. It makes me worried about Lucas, since ALL of his specials could be done by Ness via this feature, but it still wouldn't feel like Lucas because of his 'A' moves and general play style.

Although, with Sakurai showing that alternate costumes are happening with more then Wario this time, does anyone think that we could be getting some of the clones as "custom moves + costume."

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I actually wouldn't mind the choir boys. Of course, I take leaks and rumors with a grain of salt, but I think they'd be pretty cool newcomers.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Umm I think I understand what he is saying just fine, are you sure it is not you that is looking into it and hearing what you want to?

Again I said before limitations are not necessarily about how big of a team he has or how big of a budget. Balancing gets harder and harder the more characters you add, more people and money won't necessarily solve that. Do you think there will never be a limit? So say by some miracle we get 50 characters. Are we sure to get 60 or 65 in the next one?

There has to be a limit, and he said that we have reached the limit of what is feasible. Sure their might be some wiggle room, but I think 50 plus characters is completely unreasonable based on his statement.
Let me give you an illustration: let's say I go to a restaurant and order a very large meal; and after dinner the server comes to my table and asks me if I want desert, to which I respond "I cannot possibly eat anymore." Is this a statement of fact? Depending upon the circumstances, it may or may not be. Physically, I may not be able to eat more. Or perhaps I simply do not wish to.

How do you determine whether the statement is fact or sentiment? Context. We're able to understand that words are not spoken in a vacuum, but a collection of ideas that form the very basis of our ability to communicate and reason as human beings. Context tells me that if Sakurai planned on axing half the rosters, he would have said that was his plan from the start as he did before Brawl where he unequivocally affirmed there would be cuts to the roster. In contrast, we have statements from Sakurai, such as the one AncientTobacco posted, where he's stated he's trying to add as many characters as he can. Well, that proposes a conundrum. If you follow the interpretation that the roster will not be improved upon where it stood with Brawl, then why would you say your trying to add more? There's a disconnect.

There is also the added problem of loss of nuance in translation where we take one language and try to redefine it in terms of another. Sometimes we end up with problems because English does not always express ideas in the same way as in Japanese. A lot of colloquialisms get lost in translation.

I agree with you that expecting too many characters inevitably leads to disappointment, and that as nice as having every character under the sun may be there are consequences that neutralize the excitement in having a 60+ roster, but everything Sakurai has said and done has not shown that he plans on constraining the roster under 40. Again, if that was the path he was going to take, he'd have clearly said so beyond one ambiguous general statement, and we probably wouldn't be seeing characters like Toon Link and Zero Suit Samus still on the roster when characters like Wario and Meta-Knight have yet to be seen. To me, all this seems like is the same kind of misinterpretation that led people to believe third party characters were not going to be in the game.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well we differ in our number of predicted cuts too. I think we will see 5-6 cuts, even seven or eight if Ike and Lucas don't return, however if they are cut I'm sure we will get new comers from their franchises to replace them.
Besides Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur, I'm curious to know the other 5-6 cuts you think we'll see.

Why exactly d'you expect Meta Knight to get cut? I'm guessing the fact that balancing (or lack thereof) for him was a terrible nightmare back in Brawl, yeah?
I don't expect him to be cut (nor should anyone, which was one of my main points). He was grouped in with the characters who don't have any support/hints towards being in just yet.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Random question about move customization:

What do you think it means for clone and semi-clone characters like Falco and Ganondorf?
I assume Fox's lasers could be customized to stun like Falco's and like his old lasers did in Smash 64.

I'm not too fond of replacing and cutting moves, but seeing how other characters like Pit and Olimar have had moves changed or replaced... I mean, they might as well do full makeovers of the clones and semi-clones.

As for Toon Link, well, he hasn't changed much. But I guess that's due to Sakurai's silly rule about a kid Link being similar to the adult Link.

----

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Halberd was shown as a stage, seems like a pretty big hint if I've ever seen one lol.
That's a good point that I forgot about. lol

This only adds more to what we know and makes only 42 characters even less likely.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
That's a good point that I forgot about. lol

This only adds more to what we know and makes only 42 characters even less likely.
I think the starters will be capped at 35 or so. It makes lots of sense given how close we're getting to release. Having only 7 unlockables would be blashphermy.
On unlockables:
Fairly certain everyone shown already will be a starter, excluding Megaman and/or Sonic.
Characters like Ganondorf and Ness and Falcon will likely be unlockables. It's why we haven't seen them yet.

What do you think it means for clone and semi-clone characters like Falco and Ganondorf?
I assume Fox's lasers could be customized to stun like Falco's and like his old lasers did in Smash 64.
Honestly, I think this would be nice. Or do vice versa with Falco so I have Fox's blaster.
I'm not too fond of replacing and cutting moves, but seeing how other characters like Pit and Olimar have had moves changed or replaced, they might has well do full makeovers of the clones and semi-clones.
Hey, as long as Ganondorf gets a makeover, I'm happy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I'm not too fond of replacing and cutting moves, but seeing how other characters like Pit and Olimar have had moves changed or replaced, they might as well do full makeovers of the clones and semi-clones.

As for Toon Link, well, he hasn't changed much. But I guess that's due to Sakurai's silly rule about a kid Link being similar to the adult Link.

----
I'd be really surprised if Ganondorf was still a clone at this point.
Every other character is getting a slight overhaul, after all. Falco could use a few new moves as well.

But one change to a veteran that needs to happen

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Previously unlockable characters used to be secondary characters of a franchise or characters not so well known in general. If the characters we've seen so far indeed are the starting roster, I wonder what the criteria are this time for being an unlockable.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Isn't that what Lucario is?

Though as for changes, I'd like to see him powered up some more, for sure. After that, I'd either make him a little heavier or a little faster to balance out some of his negative attributes. I'd also love to see his psychic powers incorporated into more of his general move set. Being able to attack with psychic energy is something we haven't exactly seen before, and would go a long way in making him unique. Also, do something about that side and down specials. Those were practically useless. Give him something like Psycho Cut, Future Sight, Pressure, Swift... Just anything to make those specials useful.
Heavier with a little more power, would be my vote, I like floaty characters that have some sending power but also aren't likely to go out at 80%. Hence why I probably like Lucas.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Well,same thing.
Hate to burst the bubble, but look at Brawl's stages.
Otherwise an Electroplankton and a Villager would have been playable.

Nintendog is an issue because of the potential animal cruelty issues. He's a virtual dog, yes, but a dog that looks like an actual dog.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Seems like they're not going to be heavily changed if Toon Link and Luigi's inclusion is anything to go by.
It's quite strange that the non-clones are receiving more changes than the clones.

Well, on the plus side it does move the clones even more away from the original characters they were based off.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Halberd is a hint to Meta Knight. Living Room is not a hint to Nintendog.

Big difference here? Meta Knight is a veteran.

Thinking on that leak, are the Choir Men/Marshal even the main characters of Rhythm Heaven? Should be a big red flag if they aren't.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thinking on that leak, are the Choir Men/Marshal even the main characters of Rhythm Heaven? Should be a big red flag if they aren't.
Rhythm Heaven doesn't have a main character. The characters in it are all equal, like the Warioware employees.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Previously unlockable characters used to be secondary characters of a franchise or characters not so well known in general. If the characters we've seen so far indeed are the starting roster, I wonder what the criteria are this time for being an unlockable.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai does away with unlockable characters. Considering some of his comments on the single-player and having all the intro movies unlocked from the start and the already announced characters.

I hope this isn't the case as part of the Brawl fun for me was feverishly unlocking everyone. I did it 3 times in as many months as I played an imported american copy at my friends and unlocked everyone in one night, then borrowed it off him a few weeks later and it did it all on my wii and went through it all again when it released in Europe when I got my own copy.

Still, it's something I've been discussing with irl friends and if I was a betting man I'd put a tiny wager on it but I still think it's unlikely.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hate to burst the bubble, but look at Brawl's stages.
Otherwise an Electroplankton and a Villager would have been playable.

Nintendog is an issue because of the potential animal cruelty issues. He's a virtual dog, yes, but a dog that looks like an actual dog.
So does that rule out Wolf Link?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
So does that rule out Wolf Link?
Link is a wolf. Most people regarding those cruelty issues would likely bat an eye because of the general sentiment about them being "savage creatures" and whatnot (Amaterasu)

Rhythm Heaven doesn't have a main character. The characters in it are all equal, like the Warioware employees.
Only thing being Wario is considered the main character because he always is the tutorial and final stage.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Halberd is a hint to Meta Knight. Living Room is not a hint to Nintendog.

Big difference here? Meta Knight is a veteran.

I didn't necessarily interpret it as a hint; it is a stage returning from Brawl, objectively speaking. I don't see the allusion to Metaknight. I am not insinuating that he isn't in the game, he quite obviously is, but it wasn't a hint, not by my definition anyways.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of Wario,GOD DAMMIT NINTENDO. LEARN FROM PROJECT M AND MAKE WARIO A BETTER MOVESET!

kthx.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I didn't necessarily interpret it as a hint; it is a stage returning from Brawl, objectively speaking. I don't see the allusion to Metaknight. I am not insinuating that he isn't in the game, he quite obviously is, but it wasn't a hint, not by my definition anyways.
  • It's his ship.
  • It was added in Brawl at the same time as Meta Knight.
  • It kind of has his face on it.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
"Morbid Altruism liked your post"

IT'S BEEN 3,000 YEARS.

Speaking of Wario,GOD DAMMIT NINTENDO. LEARN FROM PROJECT M AND MAKE WARIO A BETTER MOVESET!

kthx.
Why get rid of the bike like in Project M, though? The bike is fun, and his forward smash shoulder bash can simply be improved upon to act more like it does in the Wario Land games.

----

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
  • It's his ship.
  • It was added in Brawl at the same time as Meta Knight.
  • It kind of has his face on it.
I am sure that there are a few other stages that are "home stages" to characters not present in the game. For instance, IF Palutena wasn't in the game, she would be one of the few, it doesn't objectively mean anything. Youknowwhatiamsaying?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's quite strange that the non-clones are receiving more changes than the clones.

Well, on the plus side it does move the clones even more away from the original characters they were based off.
Yeah, differing clones doesn't always mean changing the clone, it can also mean changing the original. Basically whatever it takes to give each character some sort of identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom