• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can't get into the e-mail that FB is tied to in order to ask for the FB account to change passwords so I can use Burruni on firefox because my Smashboards account doesn't have a proper known password, as I just set it up as "Login via Facebook."

But once again, I need to figure out WHY the site is unusable on Chrome, basically.

Because here's how it looks.

I usually refresh the page

Darkwynd

Smash Rookie
Samus confirmed most mature Nintendo character for having onscreen vomit
Ganondorf puking up his blood in Ocarina of Time. Or :4marth:for being the only Smash character confirmed to get laid. Edit: Wait, :4myfriends: & :4olimar: did too.

A cutscene from Prime 3, specifically after she defeated the Mogentar at the first Leviathan cocoon.
It's been years since I watched Prime 3 being played through

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
EVERYTHING on Smashboards is screwed up like this, no matter the refresh.
And Smashboards is the only forum site hit by it... Skullheart is fine. Hell, SQUIDBOARDS is totally fine.

Edit: Here's what the main "Character Discussion" threadlist thing looks like.

Try Ctrl+F5

:231:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Samus Aran's reaction to Metroid Prime: Federation Force and her possible appearance in that game.
Weren't people just complaining yesterday that she wasn't in Federation Force and that there wasn't enough Metroid elements in it? So why are we now getting complaints for when we finally confirmation of both in the game?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Weren't people just complaining yesterday that she wasn't in Federation Force and that there wasn't enough Metroid elements in it? So why are we now getting complaints for when we finally confirmation of both in the game?
I think the biggest complaint is probably that you don't play as Samus.

Darkwynd

Smash Rookie
Because this game has very little in feeling and design in similarity to Metroid as a whole.
It's the Boom, Epic Yarn, or even Sunshine for Metroid.
But in a very bad ime for the franchise.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think the biggest complaint is probably that you don't play as Samus.

True, it is, but one of the complaints tied to that was the idea that she wasn't present at all and that her absence made it too far removed from the franchise. So it just seems odd to me that now that she's finally confirmed to be present and we got at least some of those ties that we were missing, that the game is still getting heat for that.

Because this game has very little in feeling and design in similarity to Metroid as a whole.
It's the Boom, Epic Yarn, or even Sunshine for Metroid.
But in a very bad ime for the franchise.
I don't disagree at all that it probably would've been better if we had gotten a mainline series game for Metroid beforehand, but that's not really what my question is about. I can understand why there is disappointment about the game and why there are complaints (to an extent, that is), but as I mentioned above, it seems off that the game is getting heat is for addressing one of the complaints by having one of the elements that it was missing still have a role in the game after all.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
True, it is, but one of the complaints tied to that was the idea that she wasn't present at all and that her absence made it too far removed from the franchise. So it just seems odd to me that now that she's finally confirmed to be present and we got at least some of those ties that we were missing, that the game is still getting heat for that.

I don't disagree at all that it probably would've been better if we had gotten a mainline series game for Metroid beforehand, but that's not really what my question is about. I can understand why there is disappointment about the game and why there are complaints (to an extent, that is), but as I mentioned above, it seems off that the game is getting heat is for addressing one of the complaints by having one of the elements that it was missing still have a role in the game after all.
Because this all feels.... reactionary.

Blast Ball was confirmed on Sunday or Monday, by itself, and people saw it... kinda like Codename S.T.E.A.M. or something that'd do well on the E-Shop for like 10 bucks.

Then, yesterday "OH BY THE WAY IT'S PART OF THE METROID PRIME SERIES WITH THIS OTHER GAME."

And now, today "OH BY THE WAY SAMUS IS GOING TO ACTUALLY BE IN IT."

I know these things weren't shoe-horned in with the design (at least, over a few nights), but in the ANNOUNCEMENTS it is handled so poorly.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
If there's a Xenoblade X character in Smash, I do NOT want it to be Cross,they are not similar to Robin at all, you can customize Robin, a bit but they still have a default appearance and a personality, Cross has multiple defaults and a varying personality depending on what you say, Alma is clearly the one to go for.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If there's a Xenoblade X character in Smash, I do NOT want it to be Cross,they are not similar to Robin at all, you can customize Robin, a bit but they still have a default appearance and a personality, Cross has multiple defaults and a varying personality depending on what you say, Alma is clearly the one to go for.
1) Isn't it Elma?

2) Here's the biggest difference between Cross and Robin, to me. They're the two different kinds of "My Unit."
Cross is an embodiment of the player as they're guided through the story. An insert into the story. Like the My Unit of FE12.
Robin is an important character to the story that you adjust how they look to better relate to them.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Elma learns Backslash, she'd easily be the Shulk of the game

Pakky

Smash Hero
This might sound silly, but are we sure that the Nintendo NX will be the successor to the Wii U? I only ask because last time I checked it was some sort of mobile project.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mii-saurus
A T-rex body with the head of a Mii. A heavy weight, power character. Even smaller Mii's will be fairly heavy.
Moveset

A: A headbutt. The button can be held for a stronger headbutt.
Dash A: Trips and falls lifting up a splash of rocks. The falling body hits like DeDeDe's dash, but not quite as powerful. Rocks do not flinch but does damage.

Forward A: A big T-rex kick forward. Powerful.
Smash A: Turns to the side for a big tail whack. Very powerful.

Crouch: Hunkers down
Down A: A tail sweep that pops up opponents
Down Smash: A stomp with one leg that creates a ground shock-wave only in front of the Mii-saurus. Powerful, but only hits grounded enemies.

Up A: A sweeping head motion from side to side, while the Mii-saurus stands as tall as possible
Smash A: An upwards roar that creates a sonic boom right above the screaming Mii-saurus. Disjointed and powerful.

Aerial Neutral: Does an aerial somersault like Charizard's
Forward Aerial: A forward kick
Back Aerial: A tail swipe with good knock-back
Down Aerial: Two kicks downwards, both having weak meteor effects
Up Aerial: Bites upwards with its Mii face and throws enemy downards. A grab.

Grapple: Puffs out chest and grabs with two tiny T-rex arms
A: Headbutt
Forward: A push as the Mii-saurus takes a step forward. Horizontal knockback
Upward: Falls on back and kicks enemy upwards with both feet.
Backward: Does a backroll and kicks the enemy away.
Downward: Tosses enemy down and stomps with a foot, popping them up and to the side.

Specials: These specials are in no particular order.
B1: A roar that creates a moving soundwave. Low damage and stun.
B2: A bite like Wario's. One hit and sends opponent forward with horizontal knockback.
B3: Regurgitates bones and spews green gas a medium distance in front of the Mii mouth. Gas does not flinch, but bones do minor hitstun. Runs out.

Down B1: A small jump in place that does a shockwave like DK's pound upon landing. Can be charged. In the air the Miisaurus raises its legs and upon release kicks both down. Meteor.
Down B2: Camouflages which makes the Mii-saurus invisible for seven seconds. The effect takes longer unless the player waits the twenty seconds for the cool-down period to end.
Down B3: Turns around and slams his tail down. Buries the enemy. In the air, the tail swipe has longer range than the Miisaurus's forward air, but less power. Hits away and does not spike like DK's headbutt.

Forward B1: A forward jump like Shulk's (Meteor properties) which ends when the Mii-saurus hits the ground.
Forward B2: Two tail swipes as the Mii-saurus moves forward. The second swipe could be turned into the other direction.
Forward B3: A forward bite that eats the opponent, swelling the dinosaur's belly. A grab like Melee Bowser's grab. Forward spits the enemy up and forwards while the back input as the Mii-saurus spin around and spew the enemy out with knockback.

Up B1: Wolf's Up B. Pauses and then launches in the direction held while biting constantly. One last snap at the end.
Up B2: Swipes with tail below its body which meteors and launches the Mii-saurus upwards. At the end there is a bite with high knockback. Straight up.
Up B3: Does a flip up and forward with a bite midway. The bite catches the enemy. If the enemy is caught, the Mii-saurus slams them when it lands.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This might sound silly, but are we sure that the Nintendo NX will be the successor to the Wii U? I only ask because last time I checked it was some sort of mobile project.
To be precise, we have no idea what the hell it is. The thing about Nintendo trying its hand in smartphone gaming seems separate from this though.

They won't talk about it before 2016, so I think it will be released in late 2016-early 2017.... which is about 4 years from the Wii U's launch. A little too early, but given the lack of major Wii U releases, people are starting to think any major projects would be shifted to the NX.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Because this all feels.... reactionary.

Blast Ball was confirmed on Sunday or Monday, by itself, and people saw it... kinda like Codename S.T.E.A.M. or something that'd do well on the E-Shop for like 10 bucks.

Then, yesterday "OH BY THE WAY IT'S PART OF THE METROID PRIME SERIES WITH THIS OTHER GAME."

And now, today "OH BY THE WAY SAMUS IS GOING TO ACTUALLY BE IN IT."

I know these things weren't shoe-horned in with the design (at least, over a few nights), but in the ANNOUNCEMENTS it is handled so poorly.
With Blast Ball, I think the idea behind it was that it was supposed to be building up to the announcement. Basically, they did it to introduce us to the game so that we'd get interested, and then reveal it in full as a nice surprise. However, the idea went far south then what they expected, and I think it's because, as you said, they didn't handle the actual announcement of the game as well as they could've. It could've used more information about it to have us understand what it was about, and I will concede that these details would've been better suited to have been revealed earlier.

Thinking about it though, @Swampasaur probably put it best in the Nintenzone thread by saying that the game really could've benefited from having storyline details revealed alongside it. It would've clarified the direction that the game was trying to go in and helped in better connecting it to the franchise as a whole so that fans wouldn't have gotten the wrong impression about it. Granted, I highly doubt it would've completely saved the game considering how intense the negative reaction has been, but it may've helped in opening up some to what the idea was behind it.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
To be precise, we have no idea what the hell it is. The thing about Nintendo trying its hand in smartphone gaming seems separate from this though.

They won't talk about it before 2016, so I think it will be released in late 2016-early 2017.... which is about 4 years from the Wii U's launch. A little too early, but given the lack of major Wii U releases, people are starting to think any major projects would be shifted to the NX.

Thanks. I wonder would support for Splatoon and Smash be finished by then.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
With Blast Ball, I think the idea behind it was that it was supposed to be building up to the announcement. Basically, they did it to introduce us to the game so that we'd get interested, and then reveal it in full as a nice surprise. However, the idea went far south then what they expected, and I think it's because, as you said, they didn't handle the actual announcement of the game as well as they could've. It could've used more to have us understand what it was about, and I will concede that these details would've been better suited to have been revealed earlier.

Thinking about it though, @Swampasaur probably put it best in the Nintenzone thread by saying that the game really could've benefited from having storyline details revealed alongside it. It would've clarified the direction that the game was trying to go in and helped in better connecting it to the franchise as a whole so that fans wouldn't have gotten the wrong impression about it. Granted, I highly doubt it would've completely saved the game considering how intense the negative reaction has been, but it may've helped in opening up some to what the idea was behind it.
It's.... the fact that it was a mediocre title to the public when it was first shown, then "suddenly" was added to Metroid with various bits being put in after the initial outlash that comes off more as attempts to redeem the game in the opinion of most.

The HANDLING of these announcements have been unprofessional and down-right sloppy.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
1) Isn't it Elma?

2) Here's the biggest difference between Cross and Robin, to me. They're the two different kinds of "My Unit."
Cross is an embodiment of the player as they're guided through the story. An insert into the story. Like the My Unit of FE12.
Robin is an important character to the story that you adjust how they look to better relate to them.
1) Yes, Yes it is

and that is EXACTLY the difference between Robin and Cross

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Just saying, but a Federation Trooper costume for Mii Gunner as DLC seems pretty likely now :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Interesting read from GAF:
Originally Posted by Ryce

I just noticed something else: in order to accommodate the DLC characters, the select screen portraits have been stretched horizontally to fit a 14th row. It's not a big deal, but if you look closely at the portraits everyone is just a tiny bit too narrow. Unless the select screen is mechanically redesigned through a patch, there isn't going to be room for a 15th column. I thought the borders of the portraits would move inward to fit more characters, in which case a 15th column would be feasible, but instead the game simply stretches the portraits horizontally.

It's barely noticeable as is, but it's going to look way too unprofessional if we get at least three more DLC characters.
2 seems like the magic number.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
2 seems like the magic number.
DLC arrows are a thing. They've already been found in the 3DS version.

I seriously doubt Sakurai is gonna look at the CSS and think "well... that's enough, I guess. Can't fit any more in there."

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
DLC arrows are a thing. They've already been found in the 3DS version.

I seriously doubt Sakurai is gonna look at the CSS and think "well... that's enough, I guess. Can't fit any more in there."
That would make the 3DS CSS look even worse than it does now. It is one thing for stages where there are already multiple pages, but the select screen is designed to have every character up front. My mistake was in believing Sakurai would let it get this ugly...

StormC

Smash Hero
Way I see it, the reason the DLC characters are at the end of the roster is to make it easier to eventually move them all to another page, like stages.

Sakurai isn't a five year old, guys. This is an incredibly fixable problem.

That would make the 3DS CSS look even worse than it does now. It is one thing for stages where there are already multiple pages, but the select screen is designed to have every character up front. My mistake was in believing Sakurai would let it get this ugly...
You want a tidy CSS or more characters to play as?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom