• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Anouncer: Aaaand now! From the person who brought up the Clone argument: The "reps" argument.

How?
1: he would have a projectile
2: he would use his spear, as a spear. not a sword
3: he can't fly=he can't use shuttle loop
4: he wouldn't have the same physics as Meta Knight
5: cannot teleport as he doesn't have the cape
Already not a clone.
That's all fair and good but you know who else became a clone despite having no relation to the person he was a clone of?

Yeah Ganondorf, has nothing to do with Falcon yet became a clone of him. Though GK is different from MK there are enough similarities present to make him a clone. Also he can fly

As far as Pokemon go. We have six. That's perfect, you should know why.

Pakky

Smash Hero
The joke is that I'm not a man, and I'm criticizing how 99% of the people who say 'clone' literally don't have imagination
I'm not saying it's impossible for him to be unique. I'm saying that he probably won't be. Also it's not nice to generalize.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's all fair and good but you know who else became a clone despite having no relation to the person he was a clone of?

Yeah Ganondorf, has nothing to do with Falcon yet became a clone of him. Though GK is different from MK there are enough similarities present to make him a clone. Also he can fly

First of all, flight isn't really a limitation, and second, you mentioned Ganondorf. I'd like to say to everyone right now that FalconDorf is the proof we'd never get a single IC

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Yeah Ganondorf, has nothing to do with Falcon yet became a clone of him.
That was a last minute inclusion because of high fan demand. This is DLC.
Though GK is different from MK there are enough similarities present to make him a clone. Also he can fly
I thought you were talking about Bandana Dee. Sorry.
Ok. Tell me this: Why does the fact we have six Pokémon in the roster make any other Pokémon a bad inclusion?

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
I had to change my pants after watching the Roy and Ryu videos. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, most of the times a character becomes a large clone. It's usually due to time constraints.
Or simply because the developers wanted to keep these characters close to how they where in previous games in order to not alienate the veteran players of those characters. (Although usually they try to mix them up a little further if they are a higher priority) Or because they wanted to pad out the roster due to looking too small, but there's no real need for that anymore.

I'm not sure how much time the dev's had left during Brawl for Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf but they probably had quite a bit in order to do as much as possible with them. Especially with the unintended inclusion of Sonic.

So with that said, I don't think the developers would deliberately make any large clones unless said clone is an existing veteran from a previous game or they are pushed for time.

Otherwise I think you can probably expect them to be about as unique as Lucas and Wolf or Falco, Toon Link and Ganondorf at the worst. Just my opinion and two cents on the matter I guess....

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Evil Ryu will be his own character in a future update

Pakky

Smash Hero
That was a last minute inclusion because of high fan demand. This is DLC.
And he never changed

thought you were talking about Bandana Dee. Sorry.
Its cool, I like him too. However he to can fly/hover.

. Tell me this: Why does the fact we have six Pokémon in the roster make any other Pokémon a bad inclusion?
Six is the number of pokemon you have on your person at one time and isn't strange that both now and in Brawl there were six pokemon on the roster? Also Ivysaur, Pichu, and Squirtle are pretty bad because they're pretty niche. Also Pokemon isn't lacking in reps, and certainly doesn't need reps who are irrelevant.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Roy and Ryu leaked... and they look pretty good... can't wait for them to be officially confirmed.

I wish Simon Belmont is playable in Smash along with Ryu... I know he will look amazing in the game... whipping enemies and using sub-weapons... whipping in all 8 directions like in the SNES game... stiff animations when walking and jumping like in the NES game.

It's really cool that another childhood favorite is in Smash... I remember getting the original Street Fighter II along with Super Castlevania IV and Super Mario World and the SNES for Christmas.
You and me both, Simon needs to be in the game and voting is the best option.

Then there's the fact that Konami is slowly starting to die because of mobile casuals. :urg:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Some people don't think Nintendo's second best selling franchise deserves a lot of characters
There are six... They're number two for the amount of reps to a franchise... How do you not see this? Six is both a very important number to the series and at the same time is a big number for characters to have in a multi franchise game.

Last edited:
There are six... They're number two for the amount of reps to a franchise... How do you not see this? Six is both a very important number to the series and at the same time is a big number for characters to have in a multi franchise game.
t is kind of ludicrous to limit the number of characters a franchise can get from a special number. It would be like only having 3 LoZ charters because of the TRIforce or something ridiculous.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
t is kind of ludicrous to limit the number of characters a franchise can get from a special number. It would be like only having 3 LoZ charters because of the TRIforce or something ridiculous.
No other series has a special number to limit to, not mention one that high. If you want a Pokemon fighting game Pokken will most definitely be coming to the Wii U

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You and me both, Simon needs to be in the game and voting is the best option.

Then there's the fact that Konami is slowly starting to die because of mobile casuals. :urg:
The best part is if Capcom can have two reps (Mega Man and Ryu) in Smash... then Konami can have two reps (Snake and Simon) in Smash! There's now a precedent that third-party companies can have more than one rep! Snake and Simon shouldn't be fighting for the sole Konami rep spot... we can have both!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"But we onli haf Lonk Zilda en Piggydorf"
We had 2 cuts from Brawl and Mewtwo was planned in Brawl. Brawl would have had 7. Stop making up rules

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Some people don't think Nintendo's second best selling franchise deserves a lot of characters
So basically... "reps"
Oh yeah they're not coming at all.
Do you honestly think that Sakuri, or any other respectable business man would just say "oh well." after six months of development time with a character?
Its cool, I like him too. However he to can fly/hover.
Eh. I'd say it's more like, infinite jumps.
Six is the number of pokemon you have on your person at one time and isn't strange that both now and in Brawl there were six pokemon on the roster? Also Ivysaur, Pichu, and Squirtle are pretty bad because they're pretty niche. Also Pokemon isn't lacking in reps, and certainly doesn't need reps who are irrelevant.
How much you wanna bet that if Charizard was replaced by a unique Pokémon newcomer in this game because of lack of Pokémon Trainer this "reps" thing would not exist.
No other series has a special number to limit to, not mention one that high. If you want a Pokemon fighting game Pokken will most definitely be coming to the Wii U
So you're saying Pokémon is the only series that should have a limited number of "reps"?!? Also, just because I want three Pokémon characters to rejoin the game does not mean that I want a Pokémon only fighting game!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Wolf are the only vets we're going to get.

I very well could be wrong, but I don't think it's in the cards for ICs or Snake. Or Squirtle or Ivysaur. Or especially Pichu and Young Link.

On the other hand I do think we'll get more than two newcomers.

Pakky

Smash Hero
"But we onli haf Lonk Zilda en Piggydorf"

We had 2 cuts from Brawl and Mewtwo was planned in Brawl. Brawl would have had 7. Stop making up rules
But it didn't ,you stop making excuses for things that didn't happen. lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Melee veteran, Brawl veteran, newcomer, Melee veteran, Brawl veteran, newcomer. It's totally going to happen.
So then...(theoretically)
:pichumelee::ivysaur:Isaac
:younglinkmelee::squirtle:Inkling
But it didn't ,you stop making excuses for things that didn't happen. lol
Doesn't matter. It was planned. Which means Sakuri doesn't care one bit about your 6 Pokémon "reps".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Ice Climbers easily could go both way. Am still expecting Sakurai to eventually work on them enough so they can be worked on. I have less faith in Snake, even though he's the veteran outside of Wolf who I'd like to see most. Konami seems to be doing... weird stuff lately.

Squirtle, Ivysaur, Young Link and Pichu are easily the least likely characters now. Even though I personally have nothing exactly against them. Young Link would be cool if he isn't exactly like he was in Melee, it's easily the only veteran I think should be considerably changed up otherwise skipped entirely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The character limit argument is nonsense.

As is trying to look for patterns in DLC.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
In that case, Legend of Zelda shouldn't have more than three characters, since the TRIforce is so important to the franchise.

That argument is so non-sensical and serves no other purpose other than to "justify" a coincidence. If Mewtwo ended up in Brawl like he was originally supposed to, it would have ultimately invalidated this belief since we would have had seven Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom