• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
You can question that nobody is going to stop you but Sakurai a lot of the times has put the majority over the minority.
Except there's never been a majority pulling for a third party's inclusion in Smash besides Sonic and Mega Man, who are fine. I'll change my tune if Rayman becomes the most wanted character in 5mash.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Except there's never been a majority pulling for a third party's inclusion in Smash besides Sonic and Mega Man, who are fine. I'll change my tune if Rayman becomes the most wanted character in 5mash.
Who's to say he won't be? I honestly don't care who gets in because hey the more the merrier to me and it's nice to see a new face in the mix of the fraying madness.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Who's to say he won't be? I honestly don't care who gets in because hey the more the merrier to me and it's nice to see a new face in the mix of the fraying madness.
I think people care because you can already fight as Ryu in his own fighting game series and crossovers (SFxTekken, MVC, Project X Zone). Personally if anyone else from Capcom was added, I'd love Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I think people care because you can already fight as Ryu in his own fighting game series and crossovers (SFxTekken, MVC, Project X Zone). Personally if anyone else from Capcom was added, I'd love Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe.
I love Amateratsu and Viewtiful Joe and Other than X, he is my favorite Capcom character I wouldn't be opposed to neither of them and I would welcome them with open arms.

mark welford

Smash Ace
They should also do that to Sega. I think they probably have the money to do so and Sega would benefit greatly from it having I DONT KNOW GOOD DEVELOPERS TO HELP MAKE GOOD SONIC GAMES AND USE THEIR OTHER IPS BESIDES SONIC.
I agree with that. The last 2 canon Sonic games that were released on a Nintendo platform were pretty favorable which was Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors oh how I wish Sticks was canon. Would Smash be considered a Sonic, Megaman and Pac-man game? I've been wondering that for the past year and some months

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I agree with that. The last 2 canon Sonic games that were released on a Nintendo platform were pretty favorable which was Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors oh how I wish Sticks was canon. Would Smash be considered a Sonic, Megaman and Pac-man game? I've been wondering that for the past year and some months
Um you forgot Lost World, which was okay (definitely better than Boom and 06). If Nintendo bought Sega, they could use IPs like Bonanza Bros, Alex Kidd, Billy Hatcher, Space Channel, Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio (imagine that and Splatoon in a crossover), Shinobi, etc.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Um you forgot Lost World, which was okay (definitely better than Boom and 06). If Nintendo bought Sega, they could use IPs like Bonanza Bros, Alex Kidd, Billy Hatcher, Space Channel, Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio (imagine that and Splatoon in a crossover), Shinobi, etc.
Slip of the mind I am still human and I like the idea of a Jet Set and Splatoon crossover what about the big one a Mario and Sonic Platform crossover that would be hype.

D

Deleted member

Reading this is making me want a Phantasy Star game developed by Monolith Soft of Xenoblade fame or even a crossover between the two franchises.

On a slightly different note, I can imagine plenty of classic Sega characters fitting rather well in Smash.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Reading this is making me want a Phantasy Star game developed by Monolith Soft of Xenoblade fame or even a crossover between the two franchises.

On a slightly different note, I can imagine plenty of classic Sega characters fitting rather well in Smash.
PSOxXenoBlade that would be awesome and a true MMORPG.

Ivander

Smash Legend
PSOxXenoBlade that would be awesome and a true MMORPG.
Xenoblade gameplay X any old school RPG would be great. I'd totally buy a Seiken Densetsu/Secret of Mana game that played in the style of Xenoblade. Heck, a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake with Xenoblade gameplay would be amazing IMO.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This is exactly why I don't want Ryu. Because we'd have to balance it out or forever deal with unbalanced third parties. Balancing makes it really hard for deserving others to get in, like Rayman.

Well considering there's a lot of other Third Party characters that deserve it more than Rayman then that's a problem as well. Square still has FF and Dragon Quest reps, Konami, despite quitting gaming as a whole still has veteran Snake and Simon Belmont and companies who already have reps are still ready to go like Namco with Tekken/Soul Calibur reps, Tales of, Klonoa and even Digimon has a major shot. Capcom has an insane amount of choices to where 1 or 2 characters won't cut it. (Which is why Smash 5 should be Capcom vs Nintendo where you have 25 Nintendo characters vs 25 Capcom characters)

Sega still has a few to work with other than Sonic and Atlus being with them brings it out, even then Ryu as the last 3rd Party character is perfect. We need more Nintendo characters anyway.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
As much as I would support a lot of third-party characters, let's not forget that there are just as many, if not more, worthy first-party characters.

Smash should not be used as a vehicle for status, in the same way that it should not include everybody and their mother just because they ask nicely.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, when it comes to third party DLC at this point.

I strongly believe Ryu is the only one we're getting.

Because the entire contractual negotions with a whole company (like Konami or Square-Enix) for a DLC character who likely won't get extra trophies outside of the 3 for the fighter, an assist trophy, and maybe not even a stage seems like something that won't be done.

The only "hope" for 3rd Party DLC would be from situations like the indie companies who appear to be willing to bend over backwards to make things as easy and seemless as possible for a Smashification. (With the issue being how much the All-Star Icon 3rd Party point has been stressed obviously excluding almost any option)

Of these, Shantae is the only one I would say is able to throw around enough weight to seem plausible, having 3 titles with 4th on the way who have at least started as Nintendo Exclusive, and is from a company that shoves any passion project onto Nintendo Consoles (Every Mighty ___ ___ title, Shantae: Pirate's Curse, Risky's Revenge, and I believe 1/2 Genie Hero) and a very Smash-happy feel to her games, potential moves, and design.

And because Mr. Bozon would be in HUUUUGE legal threat if he was saying anything about Shantae being ready for Smash if she was planned pre-ballot, her only hope is to pull a major impact in the ballot, which is truly debatable when you have some significant 1st Party characters storming the scene and we'll be seeing less than a half dozen from the ballot assuredly imo.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If indie companies can do it so can other 3rd party companies too, any company would be willing to put their character in Smash and make it easy as possible, there's probably loads of deals Sakurai is going through right now and finding which one would be worth developing as a character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad was a specific toad. Captain Toad just walked along and everyone was like "Captain Toad wears a headlamp and a backpack! So long Toad" and they never spoke of him again.
Actually it's more to do with the fact we discovered the childhood destroying fact that there was no such character as Toad in Japan, which was pretty devastating for us western fans who had grown up with the localisation mythos of Toad being his own character.

Toad in Japan unfortunately is viewed the same way Koopa Troopa or Lakitu is over here as a character in Mario Kart 8; a representative of his species, but not a singular character.

Captain Toad meanwhile IS officially a singular character over in Japan, retains many of the traits the west thought 'our Toad' had; helpful towards Mario, clumsy and prone to being overpowered by fear, and as such he's the 'Western Toad' fans best shot at being a playable character.

Assumedly should Captain get in there'd be at least a generic Toad palette for him. And hopefully a Captain Toadette alt.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I don't like the whole "representing the company's history" thing. That's secondary to the history of the character itself. That's why I think Banjo & Kazooie work so well. They have a unique history with Nintendo, and the company happens to match that history as well. Not saying they're shoe-ins or nothin', but I clearly like the idea of them, haha.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
tfw that's exactly why everyone is clamoring over Captain Toad.
He's a toad with enough to be kept distinct as his own character while still retaining all the potential of a regular one.
Captain Toad and regular Toad would probably play nothing alike. I want Toad to use spores, throw veggies like Peach, all that stuff... Captain Toad will probably use stuff like pickaxes, and other things that make him Captain Toad. I doubt many of us ever envisioned Toad using stuff like minecarts, flashlights and pickaxes before Captain Toad. Essentially, they recreated an essential Nintendo "All Star" character into something with a Indiana Jones outfit and called it a Captain. Yes, I take Captain Toad over no Toad, but for me there's still a little :shaker::salt: involved.

Don't get me started on :4sheik: though. That one for me is still :salt::shaker::salt::shaker::salt::shaker::salt::salt::salt::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::salt::salt::salt::shaker::shaker::salt::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::salt::salt::salt::salt::shaker:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Can I just say that am a bit fed up with the "gimmicky character archetype" in Smash that Sakurai seems to be going for more?
Don't think that's what he meant, but I do agree. Honestly, I think that's why DK didn't get a new character for the most part. Gimmiks are cool, but they shouldn't be prioritized (says the Robin fan :p).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah I don't like gimmicks either but I think Robin has the best moveset of all the newcomers in Smash 4. Perfectly illustrates the Tactician's equal usage of swords and magic and a major mechanic in all Fire Emblem games, weapon durability.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I know. I just wanted to put it out anyway. :) Seriously though, I miss the "what you see is what you get" sort of characters that where added as newcomers in Melee and Brawl.
:4villager::4megaman::4wiifit::4littlemac:(Unless the KO Meter is "Gimmick" worthy) :4greninja::4pacman::4lucina::4bowserjr::4darkpit::4duckhunt:

The real gimmick characters are :rosalina:who are as much of a gimmick as :popo::icsmelee:, :4palutena: &:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: via customizability, :4robinm::4robinf:'s Durability Mechanic, and :4shulk:'s Arts.

Were they a larger percentage of this game than the previous titles? Yes. But it may be more highlighted by the Transformation Gimmick characters getting the axe (:sheilda::pt::samus2:/:zerosuitsamus:)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Captain Toad and regular Toad would probably play nothing alike. I want Toad to use spores, throw veggies like Peach, all that stuff... Captain Toad will probably use stuff like pickaxes, and other things that make him Captain Toad. I doubt many of us ever envisioned Toad using stuff like minecarts, flashlights and pickaxes before Captain Toad. Essentially, they recreated an essential Nintendo "All Star" character into something with a Indiana Jones outfit and called it a Captain. Yes, I take Captain Toad over no Toad, but for me there's still a little :shaker::salt: involved.
To be fair Diddy, you could probably still get the Veggie throw, since it is Captain Toad's main method of attacking in Treasure Tracker. The Pick Axe is Kick Axe but it's more of a special rare treat within the game.

Bonus points for the MEGA TURNIPS he uses against Wingo though. TURNIP 4 WHAT.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
The real gimmick character is Rosalina? Do I here an excuse to shoot her in the back of the head? DIBS!

Burruni

Smash Hero
The real gimmick character is Rosalina? Do I here an excuse to shoot her in the back of the head? DIBS!
I was meaning that her physical desync from Luma could classify her as a "gimmick" being a puppet fighter, akin to Icies.

My point was that 5 ~ 7 of the newcomers here could be considered as gimmicky for various functions. Considering 1~3 of these are "Create A Fighters" it's not exactly something comparable to past newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom