• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
(Looks at all the music in Super Mario Galaxy/2. Sees "A Fated Battle".) Yes! We got the awesome final battle theme! (Listen's to the song. My reaction thirty minutes in is: ) What the heck is this?!? Why did we get "A Fated Battle" over "A Final Battle With Bowser"!!!!!! (sighs) If we ever get music as DLC I hope it's "A Final Battle With Bowser", the Purple Commet music, and "Alternate Route" (Koopa's Road Remix)

But enough of my grievances of music that nobody cares about. I wonder. If you could pick a Pokémon that isn't Sceptile, Zoruark, or a veteran, who would you pick? (I say no Sceptile or Zoruark because I don't want that to be the only two answers. ;))
Galvantula.

Best Pokémon after Snover, who's already pretty much a thing.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
But enough of my grievances of music that nobody cares about. I wonder. If you could pick a Pokémon that isn't Sceptile, Zoruark, or a veteran, who would you pick? (I say no Sceptile or Zoruark because I don't want that to be the only two answers. ;))
For some reason, I've always thought Goodra would make an awesome Smash character.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Scizor or Feraligatr.

That being said, if Zoroark did become playable, he should have a taunt where he transforms into N and does N's battle intro animation. It would be a neat little reference to Zoroark's Illusion ability and that N had a Zoroark in the final battle with him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I mean, something like Bellosom, Lilligant, or Roserade would be great for a kind of elegant grass type.

But if we're gonna go for some new big pokemon for Smash?
I don't care if it isn't that significant.
This guy.

Props if it has a Beartic, Ursaring, and Typhlosion alt.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My signature explains all about the Pokemon I want most for DLC. :p
Rayman is best Pokémon. :p
I mean, something like Bellosom, Lilligant, or Roserade would be great for a kind of elegant grass type.

But if we're gonna go for some new big pokemon for Smash?
I don't care if it isn't that significant.
This guy.

Props if it has a Beartic, Ursaring, and Typhlosion alt.
Pangoro would be awesome! Bellosom would be adorable! :3
Scizor or Feraligatr.

That being said, if Zoroark did become playable, he should have a taunt where he transforms into N and does N's battle intro animation. It would be a neat little reference to Zoroark's Illusion ability and that N had a Zoroark in the final battle with him.
I think Scizor would be interesting. Maybe like a faster Charizard? (Meaning hard hitter with multiple jumps) Feraligatr could have a really cool jab. he could do a slash, smack with his tail, and then slash with the other hand.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
If we're talking Pokémon I'd pick Garbodor 'cuz it'd piss a bunch of people off, it'd be a playable Poison type and another heavyweight.
I like all of those things.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
We need more physical attack Pokemon in this game, man; almost all of them are special oriented (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Greninja) with only one (Lucario) who specializes in physical attacks.
Garbodor also knows all of one Poison-type move, so it's hard to say it'd represent the Poison-type very well. :p

Tyrantrum, as odd as it sounds on paper, would at least have moves that are of it's typing than Garbodor does. Besides, does anybody else think that Hyper Beam would be a perfect Final Smash (and a decent way to get an Aura Storm-like Final Smash)?
I mean, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but he's already got a fully planned moveset by my creation. :p

Plus he'd be a Rock-type, which no other playable Pokemon in Smash has been, so he'd be unique in that sense.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We need more physical attack Pokemon in this game, man; almost all of them are special oriented (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Jigglypuff, Greninja) with only one (Lucario) who specializes in physical attacks.
Garbodor also knows all of one Poison-type move, so it's hard to say it'd represent the Poison-type very well. :p

Tyrantrum, as odd as it sounds on paper, would at least have moves that are of it's typing than Garbodor does. Besides, does anybody else think that Hyper Beam would be a perfect Final Smash (and a decent way to get an Aura Storm-like Final Smash)?
I mean, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but he's already got a fully planned moveset by my creation. :p

Plus he'd be a Rock-type, which no other playable Pokemon in Smash has been, so he'd be unique in that sense.
(Clears throat)
PoisenGasToxicSpikesAcidSpraySludgeSludgeBombClearSmogBelchGunkShotVenoshocSludgeWave is best poisen type move

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
(Clears throat)
PoisenGasToxicSpikesAcidSpraySludgeSludgeBombClearSmogBelchGunkShotVenoshocSludgeWave is best poisen type move
Okay, so it knows a lot of Poison-type moves, but Poison-type moves are Special-type, and Garbodor has a pretty piss-poor Special Attack.

At least Tyrantrum being powerful makes sense stat-wise. :p

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Reading between the lines, "create a fighter" would confirm newcomer DLC, if Ryu didn't already, since the only remaining veterans are either clones or semi-clones with Brawl data. While veterans are still being created from scratch for this game, finishing veterans who were in all likelihood last-minute cuts for the main game doesn't seem to fit the description of "huge undertaking."

D

Deleted member

Reading between the lines, "create a fighter" would confirm newcomer DLC, if Ryu didn't already, since the only remaining veterans are either clones or semi-clones with Brawl data. While veterans are still being created from scratch for this game, finishing veterans who were in all likelihood last-minute cuts for the main game doesn't seem to fit the description of "huge undertaking."
I'm inclined to believe that's what he is referring to anyway and part of the reason why the Smash Ballot is a thing. With how exhaustive it is to take in newcomers, they are going to need newcomers that are going to sell the best to ensure they get as much back on development costs as possible.

I hope people don't take this quote to mean 15 DLC characters is likely. We'll be lucky to hit ten and some will (understandably) think less DLC characters than we became adjusted to expecting.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

Scizor confirmed best new Gen 2 rep. Being in the top 5 of my favorite pokemon, he would be awesome to see. Super unlikely though.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
D

Deleted member

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-talks-a-bit-about-smash-bros-dlc/

Here's the "full" (but not really) article in case people are interested:
Masahiro Sakurai’s latest column in Famitsu is all about downloadable content. That makes sense, given how Nintendo just recently announced plans to expand Smash Bros. with additional fighters and Mii Fighter outfits.

Sakurai’s column seems to defend DLC for Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS by saying it’s “genuine” compared to day-one DLC. He also mentioned that DLC for the two games is made for the fans.

One excerpt from Sakurai’s column reads:

"It’s a huge undertaking to create a fighter, so I think we can’t make them in large quantities. I’d also like to feel refreshed when the project is over. However, since we have decided to tackle [DLC] once, I’d like to offer as much fun [content] as possible. It will take a while from now, but please look forward to it."

Smash Bros. Mewtwo DLC just came out for Club Nintendo members last week, and will be available for purchase to all players starting on April 28. There are also plans to introduce Lucas in June, along with other roster additions. Fans can vote on the character they want to see included over on the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So I hope this post isn't too out of line from the thread goal, maybe somewhere in the hg simulation posts, but I made a 72 character Nintendo x SEGA roster and I figured here was the best place to get opinions. There are two characters on the Ninty side that haven't been playable in Smash so take that into consideration.

Mario vs Sonic
Luigi vs Tails
Peach vs Amy
Bowser vs Eggman
Donkey Kong vs Knuckles
Diddy Kong vs Shadow
Yoshi vs Silver
Wario vs The Chaotix
Link vs NiGHTS
Zelda vs Reala
Ganondorf vs Gilius Thunderhead
Samus vs Ulala
Ridley vs Altered Beast
Captain Falcon vs Ryo Hazuki
Pit vs Amigo
Fox vs Beat
Falco vs Gum
Pikachu vs Aiai
Lucario vs Pulseman
Mewtwo vs Segata Sanshiro
Pokemon Trainer vs Billy Hatcher
Villager vs Alex Kidd
Kirby vs Ristar
King Dedede vs Axel Stone
Meta Knight vs Vyse
Little Mac vs Sketch Turner
Marth vs Alis Lindale
Ike vs Akira Yuki
Ness vs Gunstar Red
Shulk vs Toma
Olimar vs Vectorman
Issac vs B.D. Joe
Saki Amamiya vs Joe Musashi
Ice Climbers vs Toejam and Earl
Game & Watch vs Space Harrier
R.O.B. vs AGES

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course she's currently not popular among the gaming community, the game isn't even out yet (though she's pretty popular in the Xenoblade forums/threads at GameFAQs and NeoGAF).
Neither is Splatoon.

By the time a hypothetical new Xenoblade game comes out, none of the characters from the hypothetical new cast will be considered for Smash 5. The Smash roster is determined at the beginning of development, which could be a couple years before the next Xenoblade game comes out. (I hope what I'm saying makes sense since English is not my primary language).
It makes sense but it's not necessarily true. Roy, Lucas, Ike, Lucario, Greninja, were all included very close to or prior their game's release. As long as Sakurai is aware the game is in development as has seen content from it, that's enough. Assuming we even get a second Xenoblade character, which we very well might not.

I certainly hope the series doesn't become dormant, but I doubt it will because it seems like it will at least be moderately successful. I can imagine it becoming the next Fire Emblem, but we'll see. :)
I don't know what makes you think a small IP of a niche genre on a failing console with a horrible install base will be moderately successful, but I hope you're right.

If Nintendo sets its sales expectations fairly low for the game that's the only way I'd imagine it could be considered a success commercially.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, for pokemon, well, first, I think the actuall trainer idea sould go before because with that much pokemon and gens....it jsut starts to feel a bit closer to either too deep repping or redundancy.

But if I had to assume one was in the roster, BLAZIKEN!!!!

Why?

I FREAKING LOVE FIRE!

idk why, I just love fire. The only reason I liked roy in melle was because of the fire. Not to mention, I just choose the fire type every time in any pokemon game.....

Oh, and I think he's the msot badass out of all starter in fire type :)

I know it will never happen, is almost redundancy, but I don't care, i would love him :)

D

Deleted member

Unfortunately, that "full" article I posted wasn't completed, it was just another classic case of classic "gaming journalism" where they pick out quotes they like. Here's a post from the Leak Group where PushDustin quickly scanned through the article (he may look over it more later):

I really hate it when blogs pull apart quotes and don't post the full transcript or details.
So...
Scan scan scan

Sakurai reaffirms that Dlc is not cut content from the game
Talks quite a bit about value
Mewtwo was made for people who owned both versions but decided to release it as paid for cases where siblings have multiplr 3ds game, etc
Totally New project plan for Dlc
Smaller team size
Still working on tourney and Miiverse stage. Online services take awhile
Dlc for the service of the fans.

Writing this on mobile so let me check one more time. Can actually translate stuff after work.

Still working on patches
Adding new modes (though this just might be the tourney mode)
Want to offer as many characters as possible as people really enjoy seeing what characters join the battle

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
As unlikely as it would be, I'd love to see Noivern or Haxorus. Hawlucha would also be a choice I'd be on board with, especially because it'd be very interesting to see how a luchador would be pulled off.

Unfortunately, that "full" article I posted wasn't completed, it was just another classic case of classic "gaming journalism" where they pick out quotes they like. Here's a post from the Leak Group where PushDustin quickly scanned through the article (he may look over it more later):
That's unfortunate that they only took a small quote like that as it really limits how much we get out of the developers when they pull that stunt. At least now we'll get the full picture that those sites weren't providing us.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pokemon eh?

Honestly my favourite Pokemon ^ I love Abra's cuteness and Alakazam's spoon bending wise man look.

Abra would sadly be impossible due to him being only known to Teleport(ignoring TMs or breeding moves) and both he and Alakazam would be waaaaaaaaaaaay too similar to Mewtwo.

Failing them...

Team Rocket Meowth would be ideal for me if we can have him mix mechas or other Team Rocket Pokemon in his moveset. Hell, he'd probably be my favourite newcomer...unless Captain Toad turns up.

(I love these Pokemon in Onesie images)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
However, my actual pick for a DLC Pokemon fighter would be this:

A blindingly fast weasel with ice powers and dark powers. Yes, please. :awesome:
He also kinda looks like Midna.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Abra is awesome, capturing one was always a horrible task though untill you're getting Great or Ultra Balls. And he always needs a TM, day care, or some EXP Share before he can get used. But once he's fully evolved the reward is great. Alakazam always has been a sort "Mewtwo lite" for me. However, trading to evolve him could be a hassle sometimes. Same deal with Machamp, as Machamp is also awesome as ****. :068:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom