• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Air grabs? That'd look extremely silly if for example, Marth grabbed and threw Bowser out of the air. For some characters, it would be an awesome sight, for example: DK. But for others...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd prefer to see more done with shields in terms of new gameplay expansion. For example, Make Your Move has had various sets using a Shield Special or Shield Specials for years, adding a defense-specific move onto the normal four Specials. You could also take away the generic bubble shield and give characters their own individual shields, like DK hiding behind a barrel or Bowser hiding inside his shell. Each would have its own specific traits beyond just "bigger for the bigger characters, smaller for the smaller characters."

It might take more work, but I'd certainly prefer seeing that over just "the same Special moves. . .but with FIRE/WIND/ELECTRICITY/ICE!!!" again.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Yoshi is the only one with a "special shield" or something like that... I think

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Would a mod here be willing to unlock the Isa Jo thread? I know he was "deconfirmed", but it was in a way more similar to Lip's deconfirmation than for Chrom or Ridley or even assist trophies like fellow Sin and Punishment character Saki. And people still have tons of faith for Lip to be DLC, simply because she isn't in a Chrom/Ridley situation (pre-existing non-playable role). I'd say Isa Jo is the same way.

Also, if someone could give me the OP of the Neku thread. I tried contacting the thread owner about it but he hasn't responded. If this kinda post isn't allowed here I apologize.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Would a mod here be willing to unlock the Isa Jo thread? I know he was "deconfirmed", but it was in a way more similar to Lip's deconfirmation than for Chrom or Ridley or even assist trophies like fellow Sin and Punishment character Saki. And people still have tons of faith for Lip to be DLC, simply because she isn't in a Chrom/Ridley situation (pre-existing non-playable role). I'd say Isa Jo is the same way.
People have faith for Lip to be DLC? Where do you get that from? Most people I see have very little hope of seeing Lip as DLC. Unless a new Panel de Pon game featuring Lip with a localization is confirmed, which is extremely unlikely, I have very little hope of seeing Lip as DLC at all.

Isa Jo is basically in the same position, though. I agree that it probably shouldn't be closed. Although I see very little chances of him being playable, either.

Oh, right, prior I mentioned a bunch of characters I kinda wanted to see. I forgot Lip. Lol, how could I have forgotten Lip? She was my most wanted "retro" rep (I think she applies honestly).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
People have faith for Lip to be DLC? Where do you get that from? Most people I see have very little hope of seeing Lip as DLC. Unless a new Panel de Pon game featuring Lip with a localization is confirmed, which is extremely unlikely, I have very little hope of seeing Lip as DLC at all.

Isa Jo is basically in the same position, though. I agree that it probably shouldn't be closed. Although I see very little chances of him being playable, either.

Oh, right, prior I mentioned a bunch of characters I kinda wanted to see. I forgot Lip. Lol, how could I have forgotten Lip? She was my most wanted "retro" rep (I think she applies honestly).
The many DLC polls, for starters. If that counts. She's got a fairly decent ranking in the DLC poll that True Blue Warrior made, even though she's nowhere near the top.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The many DLC polls, for starters. If that counts. She's got a fairly decent ranking in the DLC poll that True Blue Warrior made, even though she's nowhere near the top.
Wanting Lip =/= "Having faith in her." Lip had a fairly decent following for a while, although her thread here isn't that long. Regardless, that doesn't mean a lot of people have faith she'll be DLC. It just means a lot of people would like to see Lip.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
The idea of custom specials having more different attacks rather than just variations of the same move sounds nice, but I feel like that would work better on characters that have more stuff from their source material than others. Characters like Mario for example would be great for this since they have so many power-ups and whatnot from their games, but for characters like Captain Falcon who's movesets were pretty much made from scratch, this would require more imagination.

Speaking of this, I wish Lucina actually had customs that helped differentiate her from Marth more, rather than just copy/paste Marth's custom specials.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Am I seriously the only one who has no objection to our newcomers/custom moves?

Really my only problem with SSB4 is that I'd have liked to see more stages, more music ( I know, 200+ and I still want more), and veterans.

But DLC can solve all of that... I'm just too easy to please. :awesome:

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
If we were to get New specials :4darkpit: would be most likely to get It give him :pit:s moves he wouldnt get as much hate
Please Can we get custom Guidences for :4mii: In dlc as well

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If we were to get New specials :4darkpit: would be most likely to get It give him :pit:s moves he wouldnt get as much hate
Please Can we get custom Guidences for :4mii: In dlc as well
So basically just give :4darkpit: the other Uprising class items?
I would like to see the Pandora Claws used,now that I think about it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What if they let Dark Pit use his Dark Pit Staff for more than just his Final Smash? There's some good ideas you could use there.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If characters other than Mewtwo get the Get-Out-of-Jail-Free Card (aka DLC) I think it would be:
Wolf-The Wolf supporters are very organized, and he wasn't a bad choice to begin with.
Lucas-Same as Wolf.
Marshal(With Ms. Ribbon and one of the Chorus kids as an alt)-Rhythm Heaven seems to do the same thing as Smash, and has 1 game for every new console. It also has a new game coming up. That combined with it's popularity, I think if not this time, than next time. Also there is a cut Rhythm Heaven character.
Exitebiker-I think he was one of the cut characters too. And if he does not join now than there is a low chance he will ever join due to no future games.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'd like for there to be at least 2-3 more characters some time after Mewtwo is released.

And air grabs would be a nice mechanic to have in the next Smash game IMO.
My prediction for dlc if it happens is it will be announced around E3 this year, and we will be getting two packs one including Lucas, a newcomer, music and appropriate stages, and one including Wolf, a newcomer, music and appropriate stages, with release dates being holiday season 2015 and late spring early summer 2016.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am still awaiting the moment when Mewtwo get's revealed and then BOOM, two more psychics join the battle : namely Lucas and Isaac. And after that, two more villains join the fray: Wolf and King K.Rool.

Would make so much sense to, that's the sad part.

Problem is: this won't happen in the lifespan of all of my future legacy's generations.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I agree. Characters like Mario, Link, Kirby and Mega Man could benefit a lot from it, given the large amount of power-up and items they have used over the years. (Though I'm glad they included Beat). I think they'll expand on them more in future games.

:231:
Expanded upon or completely dropped, as is the Smash way.

Even if people did get King K. Rool and Ridley, people will still be not satisfied with the roster... even if they did get all the cut characters from Melee and Brawl in addition to these two villains, people will still be not satisfied with the roster.

I don't think people really want more characters, they just want to experience that hype feeling whenever a character is confirmed. I think the brain releases some chemicals when people feel hyped. And people need that fix. Whenever a final roster is revealed, people get too hyped that the brain releases too much hype chemicals... and that excess hype chemical build-up is not safe so they are released as salty tears.
I absolutely agree that the adrenaline goes when a character is revealed, new is potent in a marketplace (as is classic).
However, feeling 'complete' is also an important factor. If the roster ever could truly feel 'complete,' the it would satisfy many. This just isn't the sort of game that can achieve that.

If we had another game from Nintendo where all these characters came together, it would alleviate a lot of the pressure put onto Smash Bros. However, we do not, and thus every character, series, or mode, that a fan wants to see, feels a missed opportunity to not include.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's been brought up before, but I concur that the notion of "reps" is pretty silly. I don't believe there's a certain quota of characters that a series has to fulfill, nor do I think there's any upper limit to how many characters a series can have. I support characters based on their own merits and how they would make the roster better and more diverse, not because "X series needs more reps" or "Y series has too much reps".

Like, I'm a fan of Metroid and all, but I don't support Ridley because "muh metroods" - I support him because he's an interesting character who'd bring something new to the roster, to wit: big flying aerial fighter. That he has huge fan support is just an incidental, but very much welcomed, detail.

Likewise, I think K. Rool and Dixie would be cool characters and would be fun to play. I'm not too concerned that Donkey Kong doesn't have that much content relative to other series.

It's also why I'm a bit skeptical about some of the cut vets. I don't have anything innately against the likes of Young Link or Pichu (I actually really like Pichu, but that's beside the point), but I don't think they're all that interesting in the grand scheme of things. I feel similarly about Roy, though I think he'd be much more capable of doing something different compared to the previous two. I think they definitely could do something distinct (Young Link with his masks, Pichu with the discharge mechanic, etc.), but I'm hesitant to suggest that they'd be the best choices when there are other characters that I just think are more interesting and memorable.

It's total bias on my part, I'm aware of that fact, but that's just how I feel. I'd rather play characters that I like and think are fun than characters that are shoehorned in for the sake of "reps" or to be the token Zelda / Pokémon / Donkey Kong / Metroid, etc. character.

I support Wonder Red and Inkling, in spite of their respective difficulties, for similar reasons. I really, really like them and I think they'd be really, really fun to play as~

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Wanting Lip =/= "Having faith in her." Lip had a fairly decent following for a while, although her thread here isn't that long. Regardless, that doesn't mean a lot of people have faith she'll be DLC. It just means a lot of people would like to see Lip.
I wish I could agree with this, but I feel like DLC poll votes are usually based on faith and want instead of just want.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wish I could agree with this, but I feel like DLC poll votes are usually based on faith and want instead of just want.
I honestly doubt this applies in the case of Lip, really. The characters I want to see are K. Rool, Isaac, Dixie, and Lip. Lip I see almost no chance of ever getting added, but I'd adore seeing Lip added as playable and Panel de Pon is a decently long-running series, Lip is the mascot.

K. Rool and Isaac are fairly popular suggestions. A ton of people have very little hope of ever seeing them. Others think they're decently likely but don't want to get overly excited about it (like me). I've barely seen anyone who suggest they're a near-guarantee, more than anything people are sceptical.

It's been brought up before, but I concur that the notion of "reps" is pretty silly. I don't believe there's a certain quota of characters that a series has to fulfill, nor do I think there's any upper limit to how many characters a series can have. I support characters based on their own merits and how they would make the roster better and more diverse, not because "X series needs more reps" or "Y series has too much reps".

Like, I'm a fan of Metroid and all, but I don't support Ridley because "muh metroods" - I support him because he's an interesting character who'd bring something new to the roster, to wit: big flying aerial fighter. That he has huge fan support is just an incidental, but very much welcomed, detail.

Likewise, I think K. Rool and Dixie would be cool characters and would be fun to play. I'm not too concerned that Donkey Kong doesn't have that much content relative to other series.

It's also why I'm a bit skeptical about some of the cut vets. I don't have anything innately against the likes of Young Link or Pichu (I actually really like Pichu, but that's beside the point), but I don't think they're all that interesting in the grand scheme of things. I feel similarly about Roy, though I think he'd be much more capable of doing something different compared to the previous two. I think they definitely could do something distinct (Young Link with his masks, Pichu with the discharge mechanic, etc.), but I'm hesitant to suggest that they'd be the best choices when there are other characters that I just think are more interesting and memorable.

It's total bias on my part, I'm aware of that fact, but that's just how I feel. I'd rather play characters that I like and think are fun than characters that are shoehorned in for the sake of "reps" or to be the token Zelda / Pokémon / Donkey Kong / Metroid, etc. character.

I support Wonder Red and Inkling, in spite of their respective difficulties, for similar reasons. I really, really like them and I think they'd be really, really fun to play as~
I agree honestly. The cut vets aren't particularly interesting at all except Snake and Ice Climbers. And honestly Ice Climbers aren't really that interesting, they're just two characters duplicated performing the exact same attacks. They're only "unique" for being two characters played at once in a sense. Snake was a god character, but he has good reasons for being cut.

Wolf isn't that interesting as he's just too close to Fox/Falco. He's original in moveset, but appearance-wise he doesn't look particularly great. I like him as a character, but playstyle-wise, he's similar but different to Fox. He doesn't bring anything unique to the table. Ditto with Lucas.

Both of them really feel like what Chrom would've been, honestly. They also make me even more salty over Ganondorf, because Sakurai was willing to cut "unique" playstyles that play fairly different from the original characters, but Ganondorf magically has to stay identical even though its not true to his character at all.

Although on the subject of representation, DK has the characters and is a big franchise. Its definitely under-represented. Its not like they'd be shoehorning the characters into the game without them being all that interesting, the characters are interesting and would bring new things to the table. Ridley isn't quite the same because he at least appears in every single Smash game as more than a mere trophy appearance.

But I digress.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
K. Rool and Isaac are fairly popular suggestions. A ton of people have very little hope of ever seeing them. Others think they're decently likely but don't want to get overly excited about it (like me). I've barely seen anyone who suggest they're a near-guarantee, more than anything people are sceptical.
Add me to the list of people who think they're a near guarantee.
At least King K. Rool.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wolf isn't that interesting as he's just too close to Fox/Falco. He's original in moveset, but appearance-wise he doesn't look particularly great. I like him as a character, but playstyle-wise, he's similar but different to Fox. He doesn't bring anything unique to the table. Ditto with Lucas.

Although on the subject of representation, DK has the characters and is a big franchise. Its definitely under-represented. Its not like they'd be shoehorning the characters into the game without them being all that interesting, the characters are interesting and would bring new things to the table. Ridley isn't quite the same because he at least appears in every single Smash game as more than a mere trophy appearance.
I actually really like Wolf and Lucas. They were my subs in Brawl. I think they're definitely distinct enough from Fox / Falco and Ness to warrant returning, especially since it'd just take a few minor tweaks to make them stand out even moreso.

And yeah, that's what I'm saying. K. Rool and Dixie are interesting characters, that's why I think they should be in Smash. I don't buy into the "they should be in 'cos we need more dong in Smash", I just think they're cool and diverse characters. If they weren't DK characters, I'd still feel the same way. The fact that they'd be helping to represent an under-represented series is just a nice detail.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Add me to the list of people who think they're a near guarantee.
At least King K. Rool.
I think they're decently likely as I'm basing it on if certain factors come into play:

1.) More DLC is planned.

2.) More DLC is like Mewtwo; based on popularity.

3.) King K. Rool will return to DK in the near future.

#3 I'm 100% confident in. #1 I'm 50/50 on (I think its very likely, but I don't want to commit to it; I guess its more 70/30 :p), and #2 I'd say is fairly likely. If all three are factored in, K. Rool is a near-guarantee in my eyes.

As for Isaac, there are two factors:

1.) More DLC is planned.

2.) GS4 is in development.

#2 I'm about 80% confident in. With this factor, Matthew would probably be an alt and get similar billing to Isaac. Isaac is just the most iconic character in the franchise, though, so more than anything he's probably the one they'd pick. But since Matthew is so similar, he'd be good as an alt.

Anyway, enough rambling. Just some thoughts.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

1. Well if Sakurai says Ridley is too big,he's too big. Shokio was right. GG. RIP in Peace Ridley
  2. I believe that Donkey Kong is under-represented myself,but not in characters. Two is good enough,but you know what they say,the more the merrier or something like that. K.Rool,Dixie Kong,and maybe Funky Kong would be cool to play with.
  3. Wonder Red looks like Nintendo's Viewtiful Joe. Also,Inklings are cool. I heard they were once going to be implemented as a new Mario games. We could've gotten Sunshine 2 more likely from that.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well if Sakurai says Ridley is too big,he's too big. Shokio was right. GG. RIP in Peace Ridley
Not sure if satire.

I didn't say it's likely, I said it would be a good character to include. I could care less what Sakurai says. Doesn't embellish my personal opinion.
I believe that Donkey Kong is under-represented myself,but not in characters. Two is good enough,but you know what they say,the more the merrier or something like that. K.Rool,Dixie Kong,and maybe Funky Kong would be cool to play with.
As I said, I just like them because they're cool characters. It seems like they're overdue in Smash.

Wonder Red looks like Nintendo's Viewtiful Joe. Also,Inklings are cool. I heard they were once going to be implemented as a new Mario games. We could've gotten Sunshine 2 more likely from that.
I do love Sunshine, but I'm glad we got a new IP out of it. Same reason why, as much as I'd love a Nintendo hack 'n' slash as The Wonderful 101 was originally intended to be, I'm much, much happier that we got a brand new universe and a new cast of charactes instead.

And TW101 is directed by the same chap that did Viewtiful Joe, Hideki Kamiya. There's a reason for the two characters being so wonderfully similar~ ;3

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not sure if satire.

I didn't say it's likely, I said it would be a good character to include. I could care less what Sakurai says. Doesn't embellish my personal opinion.
But that's my job here.

As I said, I just like them because they're cool characters. It seems like they're overdue in Smash.
I agree with this. you agreed with Funky Kong :troll:

I do love Sunshine, but I'm glad we got a new IP out of it. Same reason why, as much as I'd love a Nintendo hack 'n' slash as The Wonderful 101 was originally intended to be, I'm much, much happier that we got a brand new universe and a new cast of charactes instead.

And TW101 is directed by the same chap that did Viewtiful Joe, Hideki Kamiya. There's a reason for the two characters being so wonderfully similar~ ;3
But can Wonder Red anger people in UMvC3?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Agree, with the addition that "reps" shouldn't get shoehorned in just because a new game exists. People are going bananas over a "second Xenoblade rep" now because there's a second game coming out in the series. What, if there's a third and fourth, are people going to just mindlessly suggest "third and fourth Xenoblade reps" to come along as well? What about an Uprising sequel? Will we need "a fourth Kid Icarus rep" because it now exists?

It's more of the same soullessness where people don't know or even care what a character is, they just want to add another icon to the game because heaven forbid Smash follow Brawl's formula and take care of long-snubbed All-Stars. People always say "popular characters are boring," but I've never seen anyone complain about Brawl's roster, ever, even though that seems to be what a lot of K. Rool/Ridley/Isaac fans would have preferred.

Last edited:

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
So have you heard the hackers found Left out songs for Mother and Wario so maybe there was a second character for Wario planned any Ideas

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So have you heard the hackers found Left out songs for Mother and Wario so maybe there was a second character for Wario planned any Ideas
No, I don't think music tracks really mean much for a character. A cut stage? Probably.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Agree, with the addition that "reps" shouldn't get shoehorned in just because a new game exists. People are going bananas over a "second Xenoblade rep" now because there's a second game coming out in the series. What, if there's a third and fourth, are people going to just mindlessly suggest "third and fourth Xenoblade reps" to come along as well? What about an Uprising sequel? Will we need "a fourth Kid Icarus rep" because it now exists?

It's more of the same soullessness where people don't know or even care what a character is, they just want to add another icon to the game because heaven forbid Smash follow Brawl's formula and take care of long-snubbed All-Stars. People always say "popular characters are boring," but I've never seen anyone complain about Brawl's roster, ever, even though that seems to be what a lot of K. Rool/Ridley/Isaac fans would have preferred.
I think Xenoblade Chronicles in itself has got plenty of cool characters. I'd love to see Fiora or Metal Face in Smash, series longevity and relevance factored in or otherwise!

I don't think popular characters are boring in and of themselves; I do, however, think that a roster made up entirely of what's popular would be quite dull. I like surprises and left-field choices in Smash.

What about an Uprising sequel? Will we need "a fourth Kid Icarus rep" because it now exists?
Yes. Viridi for smash. errr I mean

yeah a lot of characters are being supported just because their series is "underrepresented" Metroid and DK seem to be among the largest offenders and then maybe LoZ. I do think there are plenty of deserving characters left but sometimes it's far too easy to see when some people speak there is an underling reason why characters get support :/ I hate it but thems the breaks

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm guessing you meant MARIO & Wario. That doesn't bring any new reps up but one,Wanda. She was the one to assist Mario and others who were trapped with a bucket on their head to guide him to someone who can take it off,because she is a fairy,and we know how weak fairies were until they realize they can beat the living souls out of dragons. She also made an appearance in Wario's Woods,but is un-named and preferred to as "the sprite." Of which she is in Mario & Wario. The music was catchy,so I can tell why it was considered.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think Xenoblade Chronicles in itself has got plenty of cool characters. I'd love to see Fiora or Metal Face in Smash, series longevity and relevance factored in or otherwise!

I don't think popular characters are boring in and of themselves; I do, however, think that a roster made up entirely of what's popular would be quite dull. I like surprises and left-field choices in Smash.
Yeah, Metal Face in particular does seem to be a fun option (albeit one sure to outrage the Size Purists, heh). Great to see you're supporting the individuals, not the "reps," wish more people did the same.

I like shock characters when they're done well. DHD was always an option I wanted to see in-game, and I was quite happy to see him implemented. On the other hand, WFT was a bad concept from the getgo, brainstormed up in the context of "what characters will shock people?" and creatively limited in only being able to use realistic yoga poses for most of her moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom