• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
...No kidding. If you hadn't noticed, my entire point was that he was not focusing on females.
I knew what you were saying which is why I said it. I personally think it is best for Sakurai to look at a character's capabilities and what they bring to Smash rather than the Sex/Gender of the character.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Are we sure everyone is using the word "main" correctly? Some of you guys seem to have the entire roster as your main.

Anyways, I'll probably stick to Jigglypuff assuming she's as good as she is in melee. Might also try Game & Watch and Wario since they were my favorites in Brawl. I also want to try the rest of the vets since a lot of them have some major changes.

I need to try all the newcomers before I try to main one. Shulk will be the first I try and next will be Ridley if he actually gets in. Pac-man also looks really good from what little gameplay I've seen of him.

This is what everyone should do. When I first started playing Smash, I only played as Mario because he was versatile and was the biggest name in the game. I never thought I would end up maining Puff, Wario and G&W.
I agree. Your main should be the character that you spend the most time with and is your go-to character you use whenever you really want to win. You can't have 10 of those.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Yeah I'd say so. To me I never cared for the fact people use the term "main" for like 10 characters. For me I see it as:

Main: your go to character

Secondary: your next best

and then

Everything after: those characters who you are versed with but aren't at the level as your main and secondary.
I always saw at it as "characters I'm interested in looking at most"; I'll be shocked if anybody is seriously considering to "main" 10 or more characters at once. I'll probably cut down my list of potential mains to 5 after I get my hands on them for a while.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I always saw at it as "characters I'm interested in looking at most"; I'll be shocked if anybody is seriously considering to "main" 10 or more characters at once. I'll probably cut down my list of potential mains to 5 after I get my hands on them for a while.
Then why don't people say "characters I'm interested in looking at most" instead of "main"?

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I agree. Your main should be the character that you spend the most time with and that is your go-to character you use whenever you really want to win. You can't have 10 of those.
I MAINly rely on Marth, but if you like a character a lot you can main multiple characters, because I have 3 or 4 characters I know I'm great with, and 7-8 more I know I'm good with, and I think that they could be considered mains too, but you can't main the whole roster (unless you main the random icon). And I don't just say I main 10 characters I get really good with 2 or 3 then practice with other characters, I don't just say I played mario in a match and won, so I main him also.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Then why don't people say "characters I'm interested in looking at most" instead of "main"? Are they stupid?
It has nothing to do with competence, it has to do with "semantics." You are laboring under the delusion that everyone must only have one main, the "traditional" definition, I suppose. Whereas, some of us treat our "secondary" characters as mains, such as myself. I do not have one "be all, end all" main as I select my character based on the situation, I have been playing my "mains" for over a decade, therefore, I feel as though I am experienced enough in them to call them, "mains."

:ganondorf:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
It has nothing to do with competence, it has to do with "semantics." You are laboring under the delusion that everyone must only have one main, the "traditional" definition, I suppose. Whereas, some of us treat our "secondary" characters as mains, such as myself. I do not have one "be all, end all" main as I select my character based on the situation, I have been playing my "mains" for over a decade, therefore, I feel as though I am experienced enough in them to call them, "mains."

:ganondorf:
Why does this bother you so much? Let them have their fun.
I'm not bothered. I don't even care, really. I still think the idea of having a "main" for a game like Smash Bros. is kind of silly.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I don't even care, really. I still think the idea of having a "main" for a game like Smash Bros. is kind of silly.
Lots of people on smash boards play competitively, so there's no need to say what they do is stupid, especially on a site dedicated to it, if your trolling, you're not doing that great of a job. Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

Burruni

Smash Hero
http://wallpaper-games-maker.com/background/super-smash-bros-wiiu

Use this tool to quickly and "professionally" to show off your mains or to illustrate roster stuff.
I would if it wasn't 14 months post reveal of the game, 12 days until the roster is once-and-for-all known, and none of my unholy trinity of mains have been officially confirmed! :crying:

(:ganondorf::039::warioc:, I wait for the three)

Falcondorf: The TriSmash of (Cloned) Power!
P-Jiggles: The TriSmash of Courageous Rests!
Wario: The TriSmash of Gnaw-ledge!

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Lots of people on smash boards play competitively, so there's no need to say what they do is stupid, especially on a site dedicated to it, if your trolling, you're not doing that great of a job. Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8
I was just wondering why people don't use the right words. I thought I could express my opinions here. I never thought I'd be accused of trolling because of it on smashbaords.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I was just wondering why people don't use the right words. I thought I could express my opinions here. I never thought I'd be accused of trolling because of it on smashbaords.
Says having a main is stupid on smash bros on a generally competitive smash bros website.
@ CJ Falcon CJ Falcon people speak in different ways, such as some people saying soda, and another group saying pop.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Says having a main is stupid on smash bros on a generally competitive smash bros website.
I said "silly". That's not nearly as harsh as "stupid". And I said that's what I think about it, not what it is. I don't see why I can't say what I think of something related to Smash Bros. on a site dedicated to it. I'm not trying to personally insult anyone.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I said "silly". That's not nearly as harsh as "stupid". And I said that's what I think about it, not what it is. I don't see why I can't say what I think of something related to Smash Bros. on a site dedicated to it. I'm not trying to personally insult anyone.
Unless you edited a post, you said some people were stupid.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Ok, so now a question is made out to be a declaration. Makes sense, huh?
You said how having a main was stupid, even if you edited the post, people who saw it may not agree, and you're definitely not sporting the popular opinion around here. I guess mains are a sensitive subject here, so why not change the topic, how about we talk about the hype 3's chances as of now.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
You said how having a main was stupid, even if you edited the post, people who saw it may not agree, and you're definitely not sporting the popular opinion around here.
Ok here's the original quote with the word "stupid":

Then why don't people say "characters I'm interested in looking at most" instead of "main"? Are they stupid?

I was replying to Deathcarter who presented a simple answer to why people say they're going to "main" a large number of characters even though they technically can't "main" that many characters because of the definition of the word. I thought if the solution was so simple, why couldn't the people presenting the whole problem easily fix it? Wouldn't it be "stupid" to not fix a problem when there's such a simple solution? Maybe I was making a big deal out of the whole thing, but the point I'm trying to make is that I didn't call anyone stupid for having a main.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Ok here's the original quote with the word "stupid":

I was replying to Deathcarter who presented a simple answer to why people say they're going to "main" a large number of characters even though they technically can't "main" that many characters because of the definition of the word. I thought if the solution was so simple, why couldn't the people presenting the whole problem easily fix it? Wouldn't it be "stupid" to not fix a problem when there's such a simple solution? Maybe I was making a big deal out of the whole thing, but the point I'm trying to make is that I didn't call anyone stupid for having a main.
Done with the main conversation lets move on to something else, mains are obviously a bad thing and shouldn't be mentioned around here, I didn't know that, so I'm genuinely sorry. And are they stupid isn't really a question the way it's used today, maybe you were questioning if they were stupid or not, but I'm pretty sure you're hiding behind that calling it a "question" when it was not truly intended to be.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Main discussion?

All of the characters on the top row, and Robin/Palutena from the bottom. Four newcomers and my veteran mains from each previous game. Yes, I'm still hoping for Snake, at least as DLC.
I was replying to Deathcarter who presented a simple answer to why people say they're going to "main" a large number of characters even though they technically can't "main" that many characters because of the definition of the word.
Main doesn't only pertain to a singular item, it is quite possible to main multiple characters. Of course people will have one character that they tend to play as more than anyone else, there would still be other characters they may like to play nearly as much. For instance, I played as Snake and Olimar almost equally, but far more than any other character in Brawl, yet I still chose one of my other "mains" over any other character more often than not. In certain things, it is common for slang terms to be used as such.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Done with the main conversation lets move on to something else, mains are obviously a bad thing and shouldn't be mentioned around here, I didn't know that, so I'm genuinely sorry.
I'm not a fool. I know you're not "genuinely sorry", but as long as you understand that it was never my intention to insult anyone, I'm fine. And I'm not "hiding" behind anything because I have no reason to hide from anything. In the end, you can't tell me that you know what I was trying to say when I was the one saying it, not you.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
So how do you guys feel about the leak? I wasn't really active when it came around, and I would like to hear some of your opinions on the matter, whether you like this character or hate that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So how do you guys feel about the leak? I wasn't really active when it came around, and I would like to hear some of your opinions on the matter, whether you like this character or hate that.
I had but one complaint: Dark Pit.
If he's anything more than an alt, which looks to be the case, he is literally the most pointless addition to a Smash Bros. roster ever [sic].

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
I had but one complaint: Dark Pit.
If he's anything more than an alt, which looks to be the case, he is literally the most pointless addition to a Smash Bros. roster ever [sic].
I agree with that statement if he's a clone, if he's unique I may not agree with his inclusion, but I think the most pointless addition will always be jigglypuff, no matter how much I like her, I just don't get her being in smash.
I main ALL the characters.

Get on my level :troll:
truly impressive, I wish I could be as great as you, master:troll:

Burruni

Smash Hero
You said how having a main was stupid, even if you edited the post, people who saw it may not agree, and you're definitely not sporting the popular opinion around here. I guess mains are a sensitive subject here, so why not change the topic, how about we talk about the hype 3's chances as of now.
Fun thing: Mew2King classifies himself with 4 mains and 4 "alternatives" for Project M.

Ridley got deconfirmed in April as far as I'm concerned.

Mewtwo has a chance, but for reasons I stated yesterday, he'd require more work than a standard newcomer and I feel like that effort may not have been done for the "On-Disc" roster and his best hopes are for DLC.

King K. Rool is my prefered 3rd DK Rep, but if DK's getting a third this time around I feel like it would end up being Dixie in terms of likeliness.

We got the most unifying hypest newcomer that Smash could've hoped for day 1. :4megaman: SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT. FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD.

Personally, as a HUGE Pokemon fan, Mewtwo was an utter disappointment in Melee for me, his PM incarnation was alright, and he really wouldn't bring as much hype as :4charizard:/:4greninja: did. I'm STILL waiting for :039: way before :150:. My 6th Pokemon rep of choice is still Sceptile.

As a Metroid fan, I stand by my dislike for the premise of Ridley being playable. It doesn't suit him. Here's a fun list of characters who were made playable by Smash before another games: :zeldamelee::sheikmelee: :ganondorfmelee: :roymelee: :4wiifit::4palutena:(and I think) :wolf:.

Personally, I couldn't really care less if KKR was in, if he was in over Dixie, if Dixie was in over him, or if (kinda sadly) DK is stuck at the main duo.

Of the three, Mewtwo has the highest chances, Ridley has essentially none in my book and anyone holding their breath for one, but especially 2... and for some reason 3 still is going to end up with disappointment.

Some unpopular opinions, I know, but that's how I feel. After visiting and reading through of those 3's respective boards my opinion still has yet to waver. I just never got into the hype three. My hype 3 for this game would/will still be :4megaman::4palutena: and Bandana Dee, assuming that I get another one of my predicted characters right (I'm 3/6 with one deconfirmed, not counting leaks).

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Main doesn't only pertain to a singular item, it is quite possible to main multiple characters. Of course people will have one character that they tend to play as more than anyone else, there would still be other characters they may like to play nearly as much. For instance, I played as Snake and Olimar almost equally, but far more than any other character in Brawl, yet I still chose one of my other "mains" over any other character more often than not. In certain things, it is common for slang terms to be used as such.
Id say your right in that its used as slang more then anything among the fanbase. As weve seen many use the term "main" very loosely in that regard, to encompass more then one or multiple characters they use. Im just saying that has always kinda bugged me, not to say people cant say it, hell they can to their hearts content. But by definition and to me it will always mean primary or solely one singular character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree with that statement if he's a clone, if he's unique I may not agree with his inclusion, but I think the most pointless addition will always be jigglypuff, no matter how much I like her, I just don't get her being in smash.
I suppose. Though at least she is not a palette swap of anyone.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Duck Hunt Dog is the best part of the roster.
Duck Hunt Dog is the best part of the game.

Duck Hunt Dog is the best Part of Nintendo.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Fun thing: Mew2King classifies himself with 4 mains and 4 "alternatives" for Project M.

Ridley got deconfirmed in April as far as I'm concerned.

Mewtwo has a chance, but for reasons I stated yesterday, he'd require more work than a standard newcomer and I feel like that effort may not have been done for the "On-Disc" roster and his best hopes are for DLC.

King K. Rool is my prefered 3rd DK Rep, but if DK's getting a third this time around I feel like it would end up being Dixie in terms of likeliness.

We got the most unifying hypest newcomer that Smash could've hoped for day 1. :4megaman: SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT. FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD.

Personally, as a HUGE Pokemon fan, Mewtwo was an utter disappointment in Melee for me, his PM incarnation was alright, and he really wouldn't bring as much hype as :4charizard:/:4greninja: did. I'm STILL waiting for :039: way before :150:. My 6th Pokemon rep of choice is still Sceptile.

As a Metroid fan, I stand by my dislike for the premise of Ridley being playable. It doesn't suit him. Here's a fun list of characters who were made playable by Smash before another games: :zeldamelee::sheikmelee: :ganondorfmelee: :roymelee: :4wiifit::4palutena:(and I think) :wolf:.

Personally, I couldn't really care less if KKR was in, if he was in over Dixie, if Dixie was in over him, or if (kinda sadly) DK is stuck at the main duo.

Of the three, Mewtwo has the highest chances, Ridley has essentially none in my book and anyone holding their breath still is going to end up with disappointment.

Some unpopular opinions, I know, but that's how I feel. After visiting and reading through of those 3's respective boards my opinion still has yet to waver.
Megaman was soooo hype, me and my friends were watching together and we all went crazy, him and greninja are by far my favorite newcomers.

Morbi

Scavenger
Dark Pit is on the leak, therefore, I enjoy the leak to a significant extent. I was not the biggest fan of Shulk or Bowser Jr.; however, their renders and alleged game-play sold me. Melee's newcomer roster was Smash's best newcomer roster BY FAR, or at least that was what I thought until Smash 4 came around.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Id say your right in that its used as slang more then anything among the fanbase. As weve seen many use the term "main" very loosely in that regard, to encompass more then one or multiple characters they use. Im just saying that has always kinda bugged me, not to say people cant say it, hell they can to their hearts content. But by definition and to me it will always mean primary or solely one singular character.
That's why I've always labeled Ness as my "main main," despite the fact that I don't play as him as much as other characters. I've loved him since Smash 64, he'll never go anywhere, and it's generally hard to pick a single character.

Though going off of play time in Brawl, Snake would certainly be my "main." Followed by, in order:
:snake:-:olimar:-:gw::kirby2::metaknight::dedede::ness2::link2::falcon:
So the best term to use for them would be "secondaries," but I'm honestly not sure if I did play Snake more than Olimar, or Olimar more than Snake. Plus there are other characters that I play more than the rest, but less than my "mains" which I call secondaries.
:pit::rob::diddy::dk2::samus2::zerosuitsamus::luigi2::zelda::sheik:
It's an arbitrary way of classifying the characters I play as, but I'm more picky about organization than properly using words.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Dark Pit is the worst addition by far. He makes the Miis look like a godsend.
Duck Hunt Dog I'm neutral to. I played Duck Hunt a lot as a kid, but have no real attachment to him.
I used Dr. Mario in Melee, and I still think his return is completely pointless.
Bowser Jr. is the saving grace really. I like him and the Koopalings quite a bit, so it'll be great to have him team up with dad to defeat the Mario Bros.

Really, Mega Man kind of saves the whole roster for me. If he was excluded, Mac and Jr. would legit be the only newcomers I care about, and they were middle of the road on my wanted list. The others I either dislike or am neutral to, with the exception of Villager. I've never played Animal Crossing, but it definitely should have a character.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh, Villager would probably be my main. Toon Link and Ness my secondaries. Although if I don't really end up clicking well with any of the new characters, guess I'll get back to maining Toon Link again.... (That new Down-Air of his will probably lead to a lot of self destructs until I get off the habit of using that above bottomless pits though I guess......)

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Duck hunt dog is the saving grace if the roster in my opinion, shulk was a shoe-in, bowser he is growing in me, but duck hunt dog made me so happy because he'll most likely play like banjo and kazooie, my most wanted character ever.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Melee's newcomer roster was Smash's best newcomer roster BY FAR, or at least that was what I thought until Smash 4 came around.
Including/especially Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Roy?

Let's all debate the semantics of the word "main!'
What fun.
Done, and doing.
Speaking of mains, them Amiibos. They look fun.
Though I question the point of unlockable characters when there are Amiibos of them released the next few months.

Then again, I am beginning to question the motive behind secret characters in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom