• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I hate to be this guy, but I think it's a little ridiculous that we haven't seen many of the veterans. Especially Wario or a Wario stage. Maybe he'll appear in a newcomer's trailer.
I'm thinking we may have not seen some of them because they will be shown in a Smash Direct before launch, just like Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Yoshi, who suffered some changes on the way they are played. Characters like Wario and Ganondorf could use some changes, so maybe that's why they're keeping them secret.

Wario is pretty much confirmed, since Ashley is there. Ness (and/or Lucas) is too because of the Franklin Badge.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So guys, I had an epiphany.

We're probably getting a General Nintendo Direct this month, as there is one every other month. We'll probably get a newcomer as we have for pretty much every Direct that wasn't about a specific game (that isn't already Smash of course).

Know how Hyrule Warriors just had a Direct devoted to it just before release? I'll bet Smash 3DS will have the same thing. That presents one last opportunity to reveal a newcomer before the game is out in Japan.

If I'm being honest, I think the final two will be Shulk and Chorus Men/Marshal. But who knows at this point?

Get hyped.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm pretty sure we'll get a Smash 3DS Direct before it launches in Japan, but it could be on the first week of September... I hope we can have both a General Direct and a Smash 3DS Direct. The more, the merrier.

And I honestly think it would be a good idea to reveal the most impressive newcomer they have in store, even if it's a hidden character. Revealing Shulk and Chorus Kids wouldn't be as big as revealing Ridley and Mewtwo, for example.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd love to get hyped. . . But not if those are the last newcomers. :c
I agree with this sentiment, and I also highly doubt that those two are the ones to be revealed either. Hype, it is called hype. Rhythm Heaven anything and Shulk are just fine as unlock-able characters, he needs to get out the BFG: Dark Pit.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So guys, I had an epiphany.

We're probably getting a General Nintendo Direct this month, as there is one every other month. We'll probably get a newcomer as we have for pretty much every Direct that wasn't about a specific game (that isn't already Smash of course).

Know how Hyrule Warriors just had a Direct devoted to it just before release? I'll bet Smash 3DS will have the same thing. That presents one last opportunity to reveal a newcomer before the game is out in Japan.

If I'm being honest, I think the final two will be Shulk and Chorus Men/Marshal. But who knows at this point?

Get hyped.
Agreed with everything you said!

...except the newcomers. I don't think either one of them will be announced, and I don't think Chorus Men are playable. My bets are on a Villains Trailer.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Why, then?

If so, do you think we'll get a Rhythm Heaven character?
Well as much as we have been speculating their inclusion, I just don't see it happening. Allow me to clarify that I am not against them in any way, and in fact find their idea to be quite intersting.

My reasoning is because of one key issue that's made it's presence known since the beginning of Sm4sh's development: Hardware Limitations.

We were told at the start of the development that porting certain characters to the 3DS and having them function properly was a huge challenge. It's the reason Zelda and Shiek are seperate, and the reason Red went back to Mt. Silver. Now Sakurai even went as far as to mention that character's like the Ice Climbers proved to be a difficult feat in regards to having them function properly. With that in mind, I found it unlikely that we'd be seeing a full-fledged trio battling in perfect unison when we have heard of issues with a duo.

As for an alternate rep, I couldn't tell you. I've never followed the Rhythm Heaven series, but I guess the Wrestler would be my ideal choice. I mean, I want my fill of a Luchadore in Smash.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I agree with this sentiment, and I also highly doubt that those two are the ones to be revealed either. Hype, it is called hype. Rhythm Heaven anything and Shulk are just fine as unlock-able characters, he needs to get out the BFG: Dark Pit.
I know you like Dark Pit, but there are several other characters that would get a much larger amount of people hyped if they were revealed. Shulk is one of the top newcomer choices in Japan, and he's fairly popular. He would create hype.

Dark Pit is actually a good choice as an unlockable as well based on the fact that he would likely share abilties with Pit. Clones have a tendency to be unlockable, so I would imagine Toon Link, Lucina and Luigi will end up unlockable as well.
I'm pretty sure we'll get a Smash 3DS Direct before it launches in Japan, but it could be on the first week of September... I hope we can have both a General Direct and a Smash 3DS Direct. The more, the merrier.

And I honestly think it would be a good idea to reveal the most impressive newcomer they have in store, even if it's a hidden character. Revealing Shulk and Chorus Kids wouldn't be as big as revealing Ridley and Mewtwo, for example.
Well the General Direct would be this month, and then the Smash 3DS Direct would probably be early September. So yeah, we'd probably get both.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone think a Ridley trailer might be combined with another more Japan friendly newcomer (like Mewtwo or Shulk) to make it extra hype worthy? I would think any remaining trailers would want to be as exciting as possible considering how close we are to launch, and the Japanese aren't really that big on Ridley, although he would be the most hype inducing reveal possible in the West.
That would be really cool. Well, seeing any popular character in the West, and another in the East should make damn near everyone excited. But I would say that Mewtwo is probably the one character that you mentioned that could be hype enough on their own.

I hate to be this guy, but I think it's a little ridiculous that we haven't seen many of the veterans. Especially Wario or a Wario stage. Maybe he'll appear in a newcomer's trailer.

Anyway, due to the fact that I think Paper Mario isn't super likely, I'd really like to see a Paper Mario stage on the Wii U that "paperized" the characters. It would take a tremendous amount of work, but I think it would look very appealing. And no, making them flat is not the same. A paper object and a 2-D object are completely different. I'm talking about the art style and the animation of the Paper Mario series. Sadly, I doubt this will ever happen. And I would rather see Paper Mario as a unique newcomer anyway.
Well, it has taken a long time just to see Captain Falcon. If I had to guess, a fair chunk(as in potentially more than Brawl)of the vets might be unlockable. Still, Wario might be shown off before release. It could even happen in the same way Captain Falcon and Charizard were shown off.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

...except the newcomers. I don't think either one of them will be announced, and I don't think Chorus Men are playable. My bets are on a Villains Trailer.
Please, make this happen. Imagine an almost 10 minutes long trailer showing Bowser, Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Wolf and all the remaining evil veterans along with Ridley, King K. Rool, Ghirahim and Mewtwo having a meeting about them planning to sabotage the Smash party the good guys have organized.

Morbi

Scavenger

Great idea! I could envision it right this very instant, Mewtwo and Ridley are fighting with each other... but someone in the distance approaches.

Dark Pit "Crashes the Party." After that, the trailer actually gets cool.

King K. Rool is, of course, on the bench wallowing in self pity.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Great idea! I could envision it right this very instant, Mewtwo and Ridley are fighting with each other... but someone in the distance approaches.

Dark Pit "Crashes the Party." After that, the trailer actually gets cool.

King K. Rool is, of course, on the bench wallowing in self pity.
Then Ridley eats Dark Pit for breakfast and the caption, "Oh wait, nevermind." appears.
:troll:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well as much as we have been speculating their inclusion, I just don't see it happening. Allow me to clarify that I am not against them in any way, and in fact find their idea to be quite intersting.

My reasoning is because of one key issue that's made it's presence known since the beginning of Sm4sh's development: Hardware Limitations.

We were told at the start of the development that porting certain characters to the 3DS and having them function properly was a huge challenge. It's the reason Zelda and Shiek are seperate, and the reason Red went back to Mt. Silver. Now Sakurai even went as far as to mention that character's like the Ice Climbers proved to be a difficult feat in regards to having them function properly. With that in mind, I found it unlikely that we'd be seeing a full-fledged trio battling in perfect unison when we have heard of issues with a duo.

As for an alternate rep, I couldn't tell you. I've never followed the Rhythm Heaven series, but I guess the Wrestler would be my ideal choice. I mean, I want my fill of a Luchadore in Smash.
To play devil's advocate a bit, have you considered the possibility of them acting as one unit? This would work around the multiple character issue.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
To play devil's advocate a bit, have you considered the possibility of them acting as one unit? This would work around the multiple character issue.
I have, but the thought of three characters moving as one on limited space with a hitbox to boot still baffles me.

If you could explain how that could work, then I could always turn the tide.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have. Who cares? What would be so special about it? I mean, why is this such a big deal to you?! I don't see how that really affects anything or how its at all any more interesting than one. Plus, they'd have to have the same hitbox, and it just doesn't make sense.

Please, make this happen. Imagine an almost 10 minutes long trailer showing Bowser, Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, Wolf and all the remaining evil veterans along with Ridley, King K. Rool, Ghirahim and Mewtwo having a meeting about them planning to sabotage the Smash party the good guys have organized.
I still don't think we're getting Ghirahim... but the Hype 3 in one trailer is definitely possible.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think we're getting a Smash Direct this month (either next week or the week after). I think we'll see Sakurai explain :4peach::4dedede::4diddy::4myfriends::4falcon::4charizard::4palutena::4pacman::4mii::4robinm::4lucina:, as those are the only characters we haven't seen gameplay footage of. Probably also getting some info on stages, including announcing a few more. Then a trailer confirming at least two characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have, but the thought of three characters moving as one on limited space with a hitbox to boot still baffles me.

Have you ever heard of conjoined twins?

I know you like Dark Pit, but there are several other characters that would get a much larger amount of people hyped if they were revealed. Shulk is one of the top newcomer choices in Japan, and he's fairly popular. He would create hype.

Dark Pit is actually a good choice as an unlockable as well based on the fact that he would likely share abilties with Pit. Clones have a tendency to be unlockable, so I would imagine Toon Link, Lucina and Luigi will end up unlockable as well.

Well the General Direct would be this month, and then the Smash 3DS Direct would probably be early September. So yeah, we'd probably get both.
Do not worry, Dark Pit will not spoil the fun. I comprehend that he would be more ideal as an unlock-able character in the event of his inclusion. I am realistic despite common belief.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Have you ever heard of conjoined twins?

Do not worry, Dark Pit will not spoil the fun. I comprehend that he would be more ideal as an unlock-able character in the event of his inclusion. I am realistic despite common belief.
Yes. I've never heard of conjoined triplets, however.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I can mock up a bad drawing, if you'd like. Hopefully it'd illustrate what I mean.

I have. Who cares? What would be so special about it? I mean, why is this such a big deal to you?! I don't see how that really affects anything or how its at all any more interesting than one. Plus, they'd have to have the same hitbox, and it just doesn't make sense.
Whoa there, easy with the attitude. That post wasn't even addressed to you...

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes. I've never heard of conjoined triplets, however.
Conjoined triplets exist; however, you misunderstand. Ice Climbers, they have two different hit-boxes, correct? So in that event, two of the Chorus Men share a hit-box whilst the other tags along nearby the twins. Or, of course, we could have conjoined triplets. That is unique. Can't say we have ever had those in Smash before, can you?

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
A villain trailer would be BEYOND hype. It's crazy we don't have any besides Bowser confirmed.
inb4 "Dedede is a villain". He's really not anymore.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Conjoined triplets exist; however, you misunderstand. Ice Climbers, they have two different hit-boxes, correct? So in that event, two of the Chorus Men share a hit-box whilst the other tags along nearby the twins. Or, of course, we could have conjoined triplets. That is unique. Can't say we have ever had those in Smash before, can you?
I guess not! It seems like it would work, but in my own personal view, I just think it'd be a bit to obscure to see a group of 3, but that's solely my opinion. I guess if a certain modsupial can draw up the concept, I'll dig into the idea a bit more.

You know what I also haven't seen? A moveset for them.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It might be unique, but what purpose would said uniqueness serve in a fighting game?
---

If the Ice Climbers causing technical problems are actually a thing, I can definitely see the Chorus Men getting downgraded to just Marshal or something like that. I have confidence that there will be a Rhythm Heaven character one way or the other. Just based on the premise of Rhythm Heaven, I think we're in for something good.

Morbi

Scavenger
A villain trailer would be BEYOND hype. It's crazy we don't have any besides Bowser confirmed.
inb4 "Dedede is a villain". He's really not anymore.
King Dedede might not be a villain, but it is of my understanding that he is the main antagonist. I mean, Wolf is not really a "villain," per se either. So an antagonist trailer might be more accurate.

D

Deleted member

I think we're getting a Smash Direct this month (either next week or the week after). I think we'll see Sakurai explain :4peach::4dedede::4diddy::4myfriends::4falcon::4charizard::4palutena::4pacman::4mii::4robinm::4lucina:, as those are the only characters we haven't seen gameplay footage of. Probably also getting some info on stages, including announcing a few more. Then a trailer confirming at least two characters.
How dare you hype me up. This had better happen

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
King Dedede might not be a villain, but it is of my understanding that he is the main antagonist. I mean, Wolf is not really a "villain," per se either. So an antagonist trailer might be more accurate.
Right, I keep saying Villain Trailer, but its really more "Antagonist" Trailer. That's a more accurate description. (And even Dark Pit isn't an Antagonist. :p)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We could call it the Douchebag trailer too. It does get the point across.

Morbi

Scavenger
To clarify, I was merely being facetious, I do not support the Chorus Kids and I do not understand why Sakurai would bother including three of them under one hit-box. I do not find it plausible or feasible.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
To clarify, I was merely being facetious, I do not support the Chorus Kids and I do not understand why Sakurai would bother including three of them under one hit-box. I do not find it plausible or feasible.
Your sarcasm is hard to find in your style. Regardless, I'm iffy on the matter. Sakurai has done some profound things with this series, but this is something I just don't see happening from my own eyes.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I really hope there's some sort of villains trailer with some veterans thrown in, Like Falco and Fox fighting Wolf then a couple of more baddies come in and KO Fox and Falco or something.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Medli?

...actually screw what my sig says, this would be my Zelda newcomer of choice if she had half a snowball's chance in hell.
I'm none too optimistic about the probability of a Smash appearance either. I was referring to Hyrule Warriors, where she has a snowman's chance in hell as opposed to a snowball's. Apologies for the confusion! XD

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
@ Opossum Opossum Feel free to sketch that drawing. I'm actually quite curious as to how it could be made.

Be sure to use Times New Roman, Double Spaced, 1,000 words. :troll:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If three of them are running around in one character, I could honestly see some technical issues on the 3DS. There would be twelve characters on the screen if four people picked them. Also have to include the items and potential stage hazards.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Once you take a look at them from a technical standpoint, the idea of them seems like a stretch. Especially if the Ice Climbers are too much of a problem. So I understand your skepticism.

That's why I think it will end up being Marshal. He arguably can use similar tactics in battle and would represent the musical side of Rhythm Heaven much better than anybody. The Wrestler is a popular choice, however the idea of a Wrestler representing a game about music seems like giving the wrong idea (to me. I've never played a game in the series). Based on a consensus of people who have played, it seems to me like Marshal is an ideal mascot, and seems more interesting than Karate Joe or the Wrestler.

That's obviously my opinion on the "interesting" part, but I think it would make sense. If anything, the Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run convinced me there's somebody in the game as playable.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Pretty much- Wolf, Wario, and Meta-Knight are more so rivals or antagonists. Can't really say that for Ridley or Ganondorf though...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ignore my terrible art, but hopefully it makes a point a bit more clearly.
hitbox.png

Okay, so the kids when positioned are slightly behind each other, as shown on the left. They share a hitbox.

As far as the right, they'd focus on rhythmically hitting one after the other. They have a much slower rate of stale move negation to accommodate their style. Inputting the attack three times in a row causes the location of the hitbox to change, as noted by the stars. I figure the speed needed to pull this off would be similar to this metronome, going at 100 BPM at 3/4 time. The first Kid would do the overhead clap, then move to the second, then the third, at this pace.

That's my general idea of how they'd work. I'm working on a moveset currently to help illustrate this.

mark welford

Smash Ace
wolf, wario, and meta knight play major roles in their series so does ganondorf and ridley but I will put my money on 4/5 being playable in smash 4
Pretty much- Wolf, Wario, and Meta-Knight are more so rivals or antagonists. Can't really say that for Ridley or Ganondorf though...

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Ignore my terrible art, but hopefully it makes a point a bit more clearly.View attachment 20541

Okay, so the kids when positioned are slightly behind each other, as shown on the left. They share a hitbox.

As far as the right, they'd focus on rhythmically hitting one after the other. They have a much slower rate of stale move negation to accommodate their style. Inputting the attack three times in a row causes the location of the hitbox to change, as noted by the stars. I figure the speed needed to pull this off would be similar to this metronome, going at 100 BPM at 3/4 time. The first Kid would do the overhead clap, then move to the second, then the third, at this pace.

That's my general idea of how they'd work. I'm working on a moveset currently to help illustrate this.
Interesting idea with the BPM concept. I also like how they are all very slightly placed behind one another to allow space efficiency.

I still think it's very unlikely, but seeing this concept has made me strike up some thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom