• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I have some reservations about the overall cast. It probably won't be a first day purchase for me.

D

Deleted member

who thinks Pheonix wright would be a cool newcomer. (Random Thought)
I'd love for Phoenix Wright to be playable. I'd actually prefer him over Mega Man *shots fired* but it this point, it's not happening. He should be a trophy though, seeing as how all his games have been on DS/3DS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Anyone think a Ridley trailer might be combined with another more Japan friendly newcomer (like Mewtwo or Shulk) to make it extra hype worthy? I would think any remaining trailers would want to be as exciting as possible considering how close we are to launch, and the Japanese aren't really that big on Ridley, although he would be the most hype inducing reveal possible in the West.

Morbi

Scavenger
I guess I can use it as an essay tease (one case will take a long time to type and the others are quite long).

Just a reminder, I don't like to mix want and expect so if you see anyone here, that's because of expectation ONLY.

54 in total.

The essay is on the newcomers I have founded reasons to expect them. There's a few with subjective reasons tough, but it's a very low number.

It assumes no cut expect snake, Ivysaur and squirtle who I have reasons to have pretty low expectations. Only because the cuts are mostly based on a priority list, it's hard to tell if there would be cuts other than the one I mentioned so I assume the best case.

This essay can actually be very long so I hope you look forward to it.
*Scans roster and notices Dark Pit*
*Smile begins to grow awkwardly large, straining my face to unprecedented bounds*
*Starts to nod up and down until neck breaks and head falls off*

But seriously, our prediction rosters are ridiculously close to each others with the exceptions of King K. Rool and Paper Mario (which I usually advocate for Dr. Mario). However, I am warming to Papes as an alternative (Mario representative). If I were to swap King K. Rool for another irrelevant antagonist, it would be Black Shadow.

I have some reservations about the overall cast. It probably won't be a first day purchase for me.
Would Dark Pit ease your reservations?

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Anyone think a Ridley trailer might be combined with another more Japan friendly newcomer (like Mewtwo or Shulk) to make it extra hype worthy? I would think any remaining trailers would want to be as exciting as possible considering how close we are to launch, and the Japanese aren't really that big on Ridley, although he would be the most hype inducing reveal possible in the West.
Ridley paired with Krystal (who is very loved in Japan :troll:) would magnify the hype to cancerous levels imo. Mewtwo with Ridley would work almost as well, I guess. They're both very renown characters. Should be hard to mess up a trailer involving them.

Him, Medli, or Saria.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ridley paired with Krystal (who is very loved in Japan :troll:) would magnify the hype to cancerous levels imo. Mewtwo with Ridley would work almost as well, I guess. They're both very renown characters. Should be hard to mess up a trailer involving them.

Him, Medli, or Saria.
According to the old "Japanese fanbase desires" thread, the only real heavy weights left from the Japanese most wanted newcomers list are Mewtwo, Shulk, and K. Rool/Dixie. One of them would likely be best.

http://smashboards.com/threads/obse...es-desires-for-smash-4-by-chronobound.338160/

Would love to get some more up to date info on what Smash speculation is like in Japan, but from what little was posted when Mac and Greninja were reveled at legends of localization I can at least say that group is still being discussed.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My prediction roster. DLC roster coming soon.
If Isaac is one of the DLC spots then it would already be perfect. Dixie and another Zelda rep would also be appreciated.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
*Scans roster and notices Dark Pit*
*Smile begins to grow awkwardly large, straining my face to unprecedented bounds*
*Starts to nod up and down until neck breaks and head falls off*

But seriously, our prediction rosters are ridiculously close to each others with the exceptions of King K. Rool and Paper Mario (which I usually advocate for Dr. Mario). However, I am warming to Papes as an alternative (Mario representative). If I were to swap King K. Rool for another irrelevant antagonist, it would be Black Shadow.

I think it's close because I started to consider tease theory seriously.

KKK is subjective evidences that I don't have solid foundations, but I have some reasons to put him on the likely side. This also means that from all the newcomers, it's one of the very few that I'm not that sure.

The same goes for Shulk, but here, I may tell that I'm slightly more sure. Again, subjective not that solid.

As for Paper Mario... wait for my essay. I'd better explain it fully since I'm aware of the scepticism of a tease theory. However, I can tell that from comparing previous cases, it's solid enough to now expect him. Like I said, I don't put him just because of want. I actually would never make the roster and I wouldn't take tease theory that seriously if it wasn't for me living such a theory and be unbiased enough to even expect him (that's from my want side, but it transferred to expecting now).

The only reason I never made roster was simply because my want was too biased on him to not put him so instead of being biased, I decided to not do a roster at all.

Dark pit is probably the one that should tell you how I dislike to mix want and expect. I'm completely neutral on him like most of possible newcomers (even the one that have competition with the one I care). I found that it was a little too much teasing to just be an alt and Lucina case is pretty possible here.

The other are founded and I'm probably sure you're aware why.

There's other picks that I'm unsure (one that MIGHT be teasing and can't be tell now), but I'll do it in the same post as my essay.

Which I should start to type soon.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
KKK is subjective evidences that I don't have solid foundations, but I have some reasons to put him on the likely side. This also means that from all the newcomers, it's one of the very few that I'm not that sure.
Oh sh**. I'm going to die. :laugh:
(I know what you meant)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Roster with DLC.
Welp, that's pretty much everyone I would ever want, which would free me up to really get behind random characters like Cranky Kong for Smash 5. Good job.

Niala

Smash Ace
I have to say, with so many fan favourites being playable in Hyrule Warriors, I'm much less concerned with seeing any of them playable in Smash now. If they are, great. If they're not, well I can just go play them in HW.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm still going with my gut and saying that Chorus Men aren't going to be playable, and that's not because I think the leak is a fraud, (which I don't.)

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Well, I expect at least 5 more newcomers. Somewhere around 15-18 newcomers would be nice, and would match the number of newcomers introduced in previous games.

Ridley is almost a given. All the teasing, the mystery surrounding him and the Trophy Theory support this. It would be really messed up if Sakurai made him just a boss after teasing us so much.
Dixie and K. Rool could be in too. I don't think having Kremlings wander around Smash Run is a coincidence, and it could be hinting K. Rool. Also Dixie being planned for Brawl could mean she makes it in this time.
Ghirahim or Impa could be in because of the Trophy Theory and their appearance as playable characters in Hyrule Warriors.
Shulk and Chorus Kids could still be in, even if that Gematsu leak wasn't completely accurate, I think it's still the most believable leak we've had so far. That Sneaky Spirit in Smash Run could be a hint, too.

I would love to have Isaac from Golden Sun or Wonder Red as playable characters, but I think their chances are low. Even if Wonder Red is a trophy, he could still be a hidden character, and most people wouldn't expect it at all, which is something Sakurai loves.

And honestly, I hope Dark Pit is just a stage boss or an assist trophy. I don't need another Pit, thank you very much.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still going with my gut and saying that Chorus Men aren't going to be playable, and that's not because I think the leak is a fraud, (which I don't.)
Why, then?

If so, do you think we'll get a Rhythm Heaven character?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Honestly, as much as I like the Wrestler, I like the Kids more. And I feel they're more truly representative of the series as a whole.
I guess you make a good point, but the thing is: I know nearly nothing about Rhythm Heaven besides the fact that they're made by the same company that does WarioWare.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, as much as I like the Wrestler, I like the Kids more. And I feel they're more truly representative of the series as a whole.
I don't really see how that's possible considering the fact that they only appeared in two minigames in the entire franchise... and both minigames were only in one game in the series.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I highly disagree. Though you were correct about King K. Rool being cool, he's also very beautiful.
Speaking of a cool K.Rool I really like your avatar
He just looks so... Huggable
Like a giant bean bag you just wanna jump on

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I just want this:

Direct in August: With Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Shulk. Maybe Isaac too. Maybe Chorus Men too, but i dont like them.

Direct in September: Its villian time!

Mario vs Wario.
Donkey Kong vs King K.Rool
Link vs Ganondorf (HW look, new moves)
Kirby vs Meta Knight (nerfed)
Samus vs Ridley
Pikachu and Jigglypuff vs Mewtwo (new moves)
Fox and Falco vs Wolf

If Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur are cut, 51 Characters total with all these. With G&W and ROB hidden 53.

54 slots with Random.

What do you guys think? I would be very happy about this. But in my oppinion the roster size will be 4x13 slots (Wii U). So which 2 characters would you cut from my wishlist, if we get 52 slots. The unconfirmed Veterans and Newcomers are yellow.

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
What do you guys think? I would be very happy about this. But in my oppinion the roster size will be 4x13 slots (Wii U). So which 2 characters would you cut from my wishlist, if we get 52 slots. The unconfirmed Veterans and Newcomers are yellow.
I'd cut Chorus Men and Isaac. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Chorus Men.

Niala

Smash Ace
I don't think that will be the case, but you're free to believe it if you wish to. That's far more newcomers than we should realistically be expecting.

EDIT: And, as long as you're asking, I'd cut Ridley and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Chorus Men would ruin the authenticity that is two fighters as one character. Literally all that's happening is that another fighter is being added to that duo, but he looks exactly the same, and does the exact same thing. Which Ice Climbers already have. Chorus Men just seem redundant to me, and movesets that are rhythm-based are badly put together, and don't seem like they would be fun or intuitive.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I wouldn't mind the Chorus Kids or whatever you wanna call them, but I also don't want the leak to ever return. . . EVER!

I hate to be this guy, but I think it's a little ridiculous that we haven't seen many of the veterans. Especially Wario or a Wario stage. Maybe he'll appear in a newcomer's trailer.

Anyway, due to the fact that I think Paper Mario isn't super likely, I'd really like to see a Paper Mario stage on the Wii U that "paperized" the characters. It would take a tremendous amount of work, but I think it would look very appealing. And no, making them flat is not the same. A paper object and a 2-D object are completely different. I'm talking about the art style and the animation of the Paper Mario series. Sadly, I doubt this will ever happen. And I would rather see Paper Mario as a unique newcomer anyway.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I guess I can use it as an essay tease (one case will take a long time to type and the others are quite long).

Just a reminder, I don't like to mix want and expect so if you see anyone here, that's because of expectation ONLY.

54 in total.

The essay is on the newcomers I have founded reasons to expect them. There's a few with subjective reasons tough, but it's a very low number.

It assumes no cut expect snake, Ivysaur and squirtle who I have reasons to have pretty low expectations. Only because the cuts are mostly based on a priority list, it's hard to tell if there would be cuts other than the one I mentioned so I assume the best case.

This essay can actually be very long so I hope you look forward to it.
Replace Paper Mario with Dixie and Ghirahim with Isaac, then the roster is golden

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't really see how that's possible considering the fact that they only appeared in two minigames in the entire franchise... and both minigames were only in one game in the series.
They appear on the DS version's box art, and were used for promotional purposes, including in a commercial (where they were praised by Beyonce, no less :p ) and a large cut-out cardboard Chorus Kid used at some event.

In addition, to someone who is unfamiliar with the series, seeing a trio of singers attempting to keep the rhythm going is much more representative of the series than a seemingly random wrestler.

Chorus Men would ruin the authenticity that is two fighters as one character. Literally all that's happening is that another fighter is being added to that duo, but he looks exactly the same, and does the exact same thing. Which Ice Climbers already have. Chorus Men just seem redundant to me, and movesets that are rhythm-based are badly put together, and don't seem like they would be fun or intuitive.
They'd likely not be able to separate like the Climbers, instead being one big hitbox. It's not at all the same as the Climbers. And they definitely seem fun to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom