• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not going to say yes, but what I will say is I have no proof of it not being true.

Nope, not falling for that low hanging fruit either.
I have no idea what is so difficult to fathom, most people that were hesitant to believe it, myself included, were skeptical based on a couple of characters: Chrom and Chorus Kids. We determined that the leak was inaccurate in some way, shape, or form as there were many inconsistencies. Therefore, we exhibited "intelligence" by not buying into it objectively. As we were correct, this proves this notion under the principle of "res ipsa loquitor." Those who believe the leak is 100% fake are incompetent as it has already demonstrated itself to be 72% accurate (and perhaps more). Not only that, but I always assert that information was outdated that Chrom's reveal contests the leak, it does not refute it. Then again, this is coming from Mr. Straw Man. Always misrepresenting others with your bile.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Funny thing, that's exactly what people said right before Lucina and Robin were announced (and Chrom disconfirmed).
I'm not expecting any more suprises like that. I am indeed hoping for something, but not expecting anything. Those are my thoughts, and I don't care if you contest them, as they will not change until a relevant disconfirmation or reveal.

When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster
Was there any difference between playing as Pit or Dark Pit in uprising besides voicing and appearance?

Edit: are you guys certain that the japanese word translated to "considered" means the same thing?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I have no idea what is so difficult to fathom, most people that were hesitant to believe it, myself included, were skeptical based on a couple of characters: Chrom and Chorus Kids. We determined that the leak was inaccurate in some way, shape, or form as there were many inconsistencies. Therefore, we exhibited "intelligence" by not buying into it objectively. As we were correct, this proves this notion under the principle of "res ipas loquitor." Those who believe the leak is 100% fake are incompetent as it has already demonstrated itself to be 72% accurate (and perhaps more). Not only that, but I always assert that information was outdated that Chrom's reveal contests the leak, it does not refute it. Then again, this is coming from Mr. Straw Man. Always misrepresenting others with your bile.
I think 72% accurate is a stretch, but either way, we know Part 1 is 100% accurate. Part 2 has nothing going for it, and Part 3 only has "Mii Fighter." How he got some info, but other info totally wrong is incredibly strange. Regardless of whatever happened before, the leak is dead. Yes, it got the first half right and Mii Fighter, but Part 2 has nothing going for it at all. How he screwed up the notion of Chrom never being on the roster, we may never know, but that puts a gaping hole in the leak and we just cannot trust the remaining information at all, hence why the leak is "dead."

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

I don't know if we still do predictions after Chrom was deconfirmed, but I want to know
on a scale of 1 - 10, how likely is this outcome?
I'd say about an 8. I'm not so certain about Dark Pit or Tap Dancer, but this is your roster so that's your call. I think if you were going for likelihood, you should have gone with a safer pick for a Rhythm Heaven character. Other than that it looks pretty good to me. We can't be sure how many characters that will ultimately be on the roster, and 52 seems reasonable, so I won't deduct any points for that.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not expecting any more suprises like that. I am indeed hoping for something, but not expecting anything. Those are my thoughts, and I don't care if you contest them, as they will not change until a relevant disconfirmation or reveal.

Was there any difference between playing as Pit or Dark Pit in uprising besides voicing and appearance?
I am not sure, I heard that there were property differences between their bows; but other than that, they allegedly played the same. I doubt that is entirely relevant; however, as we have seen clone characters in Smash that have played differently in their games, and we have seen clone characters that played the same in their games. Smash is where Sakurai might decide to use the Dark Pit staff or perhaps reference Dark Pit's flight.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How he screwed up the notion of Chrom never being on the roster, we may never know, but that puts a gaping hole in the leak and we just cannot trust the remaining information at all, hence why the leak is "dead."
I agree, the leak has been proven unreliable, therefore it is unwise to trust it anymore.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

I apologize it's a fan dub, I couldn't find the real one.

This imo. Shows Dark Pit is PERFECT clone material.

And don't argue he has Pandora's powers, because the powers given by the gods are the same. As shown by Palutena and Viridi in certain chapters.

Morbi

Scavenger
I will, thanks.

In fact, I never said he was impossible. Just incredibly unlikely.
Albeit, this is reminds me of other "incredibly unlikely" characters that I vehemently supported despite the bandwagon such as Toon Link or Solo-Charizard. Logic will prevail once again.

I think 72% accurate is a stretch, but either way, we know Part 1 is 100% accurate. Part 2 has nothing going for it, and Part 3 only has "Mii Fighter." How he got some info, but other info totally wrong is incredibly strange. Regardless of whatever happened before, the leak is dead. Yes, it got the first half right and Mii Fighter, but Part 2 has nothing going for it at all. How he screwed up the notion of Chrom never being on the roster, we may never know, but that puts a gaping hole in the leak and we just cannot trust the remaining information at all, hence why the leak is "dead."
Is it proven that he had different information in "each" leak as opposed to just releasing information prior to reveals and whatnot? "Pokemon from X and Y" would indicate that all of his information is outdated aside from perhaps "Mii Fighter." In which case, you take 8 (correct characters) and divide it by 11 (asserted characters). I am just treating it as one leak, perhaps erroneously.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I doubt that is entirely relevant; however, as we have seen clone characters in Smash that have played differently in their games, and we have seen clone characters that played the same in their games.
That is a good point. Lucina and Marth differed the same way in awakening, after all.
I agree, the leak has been proven unreliable, therefore it is unwise to trust it anymore.
Wasn't the pokebeach leak proven "unreliable" as well? If the only thing the leaker himself is sure of is shulk, then that's the only character i'll be sure of. Whoever is in the rythmn heaven spot honestly doesn't matter to me at this point, because the sheer fact he predicted the series would get represented is a feat in itself.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Albeit, this is reminds me of other "incredibly unlikely" characters that I vehemently supported despite the bandwagon such as Toon Link or Solo-Charizard. Logic will prevail once again.
What logic?
The logic that a clone of Pit that's only differences from him are his color scheme and moral ambivalence warrants a spot on the roster?

He is literally exactly what Sakurai was referring to when talking about alternate costumes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Is it proven that he had different information in "each" leak as opposed to just releasing information prior to reveals and whatnot? "Pokemon from X and Y" would indicate that all of his information is outdated aside from perhaps "Mii Fighter." In which case, you take 8 (correct characters) and divide it by 11 (asserted characters). I am just treating it as one leak, perhaps erroneously.
Or he just made up the entire second leak and guessed Pokemon from X/Y, which isn't hard to do. How does one screw up Chrom not being on the roster? Its a huge stretch to try and argue that he just misheard something. At best, "main character from Fire Emblem: Awakening" came up, but how he'd randomly hear a comment like that? They'd have just said "Robin" or "My Unit" (if they hadn't decided on calling Robin by the default name yet). That's what you call "grasping at straws."

Being right about Palutena means nothing. Almost everyone guessed Palutena.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Guys it's reasonable to expect an ubisoft rep because of that Rayman trophy we saw. Guess what else Ubisoft had a part in?
image.jpg

Shamu confirmed.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Chrom was never explicitly stated to be planned. Sakurai only said considered. For all we know, he was planned. And it would make sense since it is implied that the leak was from early in development (XY character). Sakurai has not said "planned", he only said considered, so it'd be quite difficult to jump to bold conclusions like "the leak is still on" or "the leak is dead". We simply do not as of now have the information to credit our claims.

You don't know that Chrom wasn't planned, so you can't claim the leak is dead. If he was, yeah, I'll still keep my eye on it. If Sakurai said "I ONLY considered Chrom, but he was never planned", then yeah, the leak's probably down the drain. But like I said, we simply do not have enough information to make a bold assumption.

As for the getting Shulk wrong, it's obvious he just figured we'd get Shulk. Everyone took that Monolith retweet so seriously like it was the Holy Bible.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
As for the getting Shulk wrong, it's obvious he just figured we'd get Shulk. Everyone took that Monolith retweet so seriously like it was the Holy Bible.
So you're saying that he decided to pass a prediction as a leak to get some more cred? Sounds like a reliable guy. If the leaks were real, he'd have no reason to do that. But they aren't, and he got overconfident with the "obvious" Shulk reveal.

Regarding Chrom: I think it's obvious from the interview that he never made it past the initial selection process.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
So you're saying that he decided to pass a prediction as a leak to get some more cred? Sounds like a reliable guy. If the leaks were correct, he'd have no reason to do that. But they aren't, and he got overconfident with the "obvious" Shulk reveal.

Regarding Chrom: I think it's obvious from the interview that he never made it past the initial selection process.
I do agree that the Shullk "reveal" is a little iffy. I can concede to that, as I don't really understand the logic in it. Actually, if you have it or see it I'd like to take a second look at it. He wouldn't have had no reason to do that, you're correct, as it is heavily implied the leaks were from early developmental stages. (I'm not saying the leak is 100% true, as there is still a small chance he's gotten incredibly lucky)

As for Chrom, it isn't obvious, in my own opinion. Sakurai's wording leaves a lot up to debate. Was he only considered, was he on the drawing board? The way Sakurai said it was something like: "I considered adding Chrom, but couldn't come up with a feasible, unique moveset". That's essentially what he said. I just personally think that the way Sakurai said it leaves, like I said, a lot up to debate, and how literally he should be taken.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I still maintain that if Game & Watch was going to be playable as a returning veteran, they would have revealed him in the Pac-Man trailer.
i made my dream roster more...... visually appealing
MARIO, LUIGI, PEACH, BOWSER, BOWSER JUNIOR, ROSALINA, CAPTAIN TOAD, YOSHI, PAPER MARIO, DONKEY KONG, DIDDY KONG, DIXIE KONG, CRANKY KONG, KING K. ROOL, WARIO, WALUIGI
LINK, TOON LINK, ZELDA, SHEIK, IMPA, TINGLE, GANONDORF, GANON, GHIRAHIM, SAMUS, ZERO SUIT SAMUS, RIDLEY, DARK SAMUS, CAPTAIN FALCON, SAMURAI GOROH, BLACK SHADOW
KIRBY, META KNIGHT, KING DEDEDE, BANDANA DEE, DARK MATTER, GALACTA KNIGHT, PIT, PALUTENA, MEDUSA, HADES, FOX, FALCO, KRYSTAL, WOLF, LITTLE MAC, WII FIT TRAINER
PIKACHU, JIGGLYPUFF, CHARIZARD, SCEPTILE, MEWTWO?, LUCARIO, GENESECT, MEWTWO?!, POKÉMON TRAINER, STARFY, MALLO (Pushmo / Pullblox), WONDER RED, OLIMAR, CHIBI-ROBO, RAY MK II, INKLING
MARTH, LUCINA, IKE, ROBIN, ANNA, TIKI (FE), SAMI, SHULK, ISAAC, NESS, LUCAS, GIYGAS / GIEGUE, PORKY, SAKI, VILLAGER, CHOURS MEN
MR. GAME & WATCH, ROB, ICE CLIMBERS, MACH RIDER, DUCK HUNT DOG, TAKAMARU, LIP, SONIC, MEGA MAN, PAC-MAN, RAYMAN, BOMBERMAN, SNAKE, PROFESSOR LAYTON, QUOTE, MII

Do I win a medal or something? I just don't understand why you have two Mewtwos.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I do agree that the Shullk "reveal" is a little iffy. I can concede to that, as I don't really understand the logic in it. Actually, if you have it or see it I'd like to take a second look at it. He wouldn't have had no reason to do that, you're correct, as it is heavily implied the leaks were from early developmental stages. (I'm not saying the leak is 100% true, as there is still a small chance he's gotten incredibly lucky)

As for Chrom, it isn't obvious, in my own opinion. Sakurai's wording leaves a lot up to debate. Was he only considered, was he on the drawing board? The way Sakurai said it was something like: "I considered adding Chrom, but couldn't come up with a feasible, unique moveset". That's essentially what he said. I just personally think that the way Sakurai said it leaves, like I said, a lot up to debate, and how literally he should be taken.
there is always the option for shulk to be a unannounced, unlockable newcomer and lets be honest sakurai is the type of guy who would not show all his cards so naturally he would have those unannounced characters

mark welford

Smash Ace
Should I bother naming what's wrong with this? Nah, that's probably a bad idea. After all, can't miss the roster party:

characters I personally do not agree with are impa, sceptile, ridley, Dixie kong, king k. rool, and masked man hate me all you want for this I do not care that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinions

Khoru

Smash Champion
take out those characters I listed and mewtwo you have the most realistic rosters that could be final did I mention vaati?
the most realistic roster = no more newcomers barring dark pit and shulk?
whatever you say

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'm tired of rosters full of clones...
Wait, but didn't you hear? Lucina obviously means that we're getting five new clones... duh.

Seriously, I'm fine with Dixie and Dark Pit as clones. But Lucina's case was that it was last-minute, so if there are last minute roster additions in the form of clones, then sure! More to that!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Indeed. Have you not read any of my posts? Or are you admitting that you blatantly adhere to confirmation bias? There is quite a lot of circumstantial evidence in favor of Dark Pit. It might not yield anything; however, it certainly separates him from the other "impossible" characters (I would argue that anyone is inept at speculation if they disregard a character because they do not personally find them to be likely, no one here is an authority on the matter). I digress, Dark Pit was featured prominently in Kid Icarus Uprising, a fairly popular 3DS title that was rebooted none of than Sora Ltd. It might not be obvious at first glance, but this is, in fact, the same team that develops Smash! Imagine that. Regardless, this game turned him into an original character from a Smash palette (which gives him Smash relevance and by extension a reoccurring role). Dark Pit was featured in an unprecedented cliff-hanger that insinuates another part of the trailer, or at least that something is amiss. While we are speaking about Dark Pit in Smash, Sakurai gives Kid Icarus preferential treatment which refutes the "Sakurai is biased for his own series that is not really even his own series even though he decides the entire Smash roster." Completely and utterly arbitrary, but it is quite popular, so people cling to it with their wretched malformed hands. Kid Icarus is treated as one of the bigger Nintendo series within Smash as it is a front-runner overtly compared to Mario, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Star Fox and whatnot. Dark Pit could most accurately be compared to the equivalent of Shulk in regards to actual evidence composed of tweets and pictures. I will admit, Shulk has Project Rainfall over Dark Pit; however, it is odd that there is such a discrepancy in their favors based on this one sentiment when Dark Pit has much more observable merit. Lastly, he perfectly satisfies what a clone would satisfy. A quick and easy character that is somewhat popular, as evidenced by one of the tweets. I am going to include this quote and all of its context so that it is easier to comprehend.

I would assert that there is only one way to interpret this; however, the good people of Smashboards have defied the laws of language once more and decided that there are multiple methods by which to understand the information.

Here is the simple answer: similar =/= congruent

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Feel free to pretend as though he is impossible though. :troll:
You keep repeating the same sentiments over and over again, so I think I will.
I'm not claiming he is impossible, but I'm heavily doubting anything in the sort that he is highly likely.

I am aware that you responded to my points, but I cannot help but feel that you did not actually address a good majority of them, particularly on the last one.
I read Sakurai's quotation in full, thank you very much for going to the effort of putting the rest of it on the board. The two do not contradict each other. One merely coming chronologically after the other does not mean that it supercedes the notion of that stated prior, and unlike your extravagantly highlighted 'HOWEVER,' I will not go to the efforts of coming up with a basic grammatical sentence to demonstrate your err because I am aware that it would appear as unnecessarily condescending at it would in fact be.
My statement was showcasing Sakurai's outright assertion that a character can in fact have a different name and still be an alternate costume, which indicates quite heavily that he has in fact already utilized this technique in the game (I would imagine for the same two characters you state had move alterations, Dr Mario and Dark Pit), and that, for this example, once he then decided to make Lucina's moves have different properties, he gave her a different slot (or potentially, gave her a different slot and then gave her altered move set properties to justify her separate slot, whereas other alternate costumes with the name changes he states he is fine with, do not have alternate slots).
Without getting too heavily into Dr Mario or Dark Pit, I would claim that you arrived at your justification for their inclusion as separate characters backward. Instead the quotation proves that they are in fact alternate costumes, which Sakurai has stated he is doing in THIS game, where previous precedents do not all apply (villager being the prime example, though let me count thy ways elsewhere). In Melee he added Dr Mario for his music, and as a suggested joke and filler character to only later be cut. It is only by your personal bias that you assume Dr Mario could only return as a full out clone rather than as an alternate character costume when Sakurai has stated clearly his lessened interest in clones and his willingness to include characters with different names as alternate character skins without them 'taking up slots.'

This seems incredibly circumstantial, particularly from the same person who (if I am remembering correctly) finds another DK representative to be unlikely, despite a plethora of evidence, as well as the support of which you bring up here, but with actual justification to the argument that DK does not just appear to be a frontrunner of the series, and is not just marketed as it for this game, he has actually been in it since the beginning.
You say you do not find it strange Kid Icarus would receive an additional character, and I concede. Clap your hands together and welcome Goddess Palutena. It is TWO representatives that I would find strange to add. He may add Pit to some more of the promo shots, that is dandy, but I'm not sure where this equates to it being on the exact level of the actual series which have been in it since the beginning, or more importantly, the ones who have an exceedingly large number of games, decades of history, and an extraordinary cast of vibrant characters who are plausible.

We have always gotten a bunch of anime swordsmen, well, since melee. The difference here is that we have actually gotten a public outcry for female representation. Sure, we get a public outcry for many things, but this is something that Sakurai has actually given quite notice to. It could be argued it is just by coincidence that so many females are in the game this go around, but I prefer to look at the facts. In the past, the select screen showcased how many females? Peach, Zelda, and Samus.
Now, who are playable options as females? Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Robin, Lucina, and all Mii Fighters. I might have even missed one.
Obviously, the only moot point here is that being a human female has been proven to be of somewhat importance this game; perhaps it did not allow any character a free pass into the game, and it should not have, but our female representation is at an actual slice of pie in the circle. This makes it appeal to more consumers, which is stated, of course, to be what Sakurai wants.

I am not a fan of Roy, so I will not say I can fully speak on this point. That said, Lucina is the full blade as power, versus Marth's tip, which is what I had believed Roy was to Marth as the primary different. The fire, like his hair, is a visual difference, of course- but given this game being thirteen years the successor to Melee, I'm sure the fanboys of 2001 have grown up enough to get over a visual cue of fire, if that is really all they wanted.

Awakening may have been successful, absolutely, but Fire Emblem as a whole is what warranted the additional characters. It is not a single game, it is an entire franchise with over a dozen games to its name. Many other games were quite successful as well, too many to count in fact.
As you stated, he has given Kid Icarus a few more items, stages, and whatnot than other franchises- this could just as easily be read as the entirety of the preferential treatment he would give it.
Or if not, why stop there, why not make the assertion that Kid Icarus will join the ranks of other series and have four or five characters representing the series? It sounds all the more absurd because it draws on the exact same points I have stated in this response to you. Do you think Kid Icarus would get four or five representatives? If so, why, and if not, why not?

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
characters I personally do not agree with are impa, sceptile, ridley, Dixie kong, king k. rool, and masked man hate me all you want for this I do not care that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinions
I can't say you aren't entitled to your opinion, obviously, but I will say that the way you presented it was more rude than anything else. :/ Thanks anyway.

Needs more Vaati (and Mewtwo) :awesome:
Now YOU can shush! lol xD

I'm tired of rosters full of clones...
I think "full of" is an exaggeration, but I'll respect your distaste for them regardless.

D

Deleted member

Hate to derail the thread into another Dark Pit discussion, but after some thinking, I feel Dark Pit is either a boss (which is reasonable given the logic that supports the concept) or a playable character. Not an alt.

Reasoning:

1. Dark Pit Staff; It's going to be a part of him somehow. Can't really wield it if he's an alt.
2. Three Sacred Treasures; Only Pit uses them. Dark Pit does not wield them. Yes, there are examples in Smash where canon is broken, even by the Treasures themselves (they've been destroyed), but having Pittoo use them seems rather awkward.
3. Palutena Bow and Silver Bow have different properties in Uprising, with stronger melee capability and stronger projectiles at closer range (opposite of every other Bow) as an example. Unless Sakurai's completely ok with keeping the two Bows at the same exact properties, there's a Lucina-esque issue at hand.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I can't say you aren't entitled to your opinion, obviously, but I will say that the way you presented it was more rude than anything else. :/ Thanks anyway.

Now YOU can shush! lol xD

I think "full of" is an exaggeration, but I'll respect your distaste for them regardless.
I do apologize if I came off a little rude

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have no idea what is so difficult to fathom, most people that were hesitant to believe it, myself included, were skeptical based on a couple of characters: Chrom and Chorus Kids. We determined that the leak was inaccurate in some way, shape, or form as there were many inconsistencies. Therefore, we exhibited "intelligence" by not buying into it objectively. As we were correct, this proves this notion under the principle of "res ipsa loquitor." Those who believe the leak is 100% fake are incompetent as it has already demonstrated itself to be 72% accurate (and perhaps more). Not only that, but I always assert that information was outdated that Chrom's reveal contests the leak, it does not refute it. Then again, this is coming from Mr. Straw Man. Always misrepresenting others with your bile.
To be fair, a leak can be one hundred percent accurate and still not be a true leak- there is not really a way to know if it was a leak or a guess, even if all of the stated information game to fruition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom