• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Rereading it a couple of times, I realized that you weren't supporting the Mario theory, it's the way you worded your statement (and how I read it) that threw me off, and I apologize for that. As for why I did not add any Pokemon clones, I honestly really did not think about clones beyond Pichu. Sceptile was the only one I thought of adding, but, then I realized, he would probably be made as a unique character, but, I suppose he could be somewhat of a combination of Charizard and Greninja, so Sceptile could be in under my view of possible DLC I suppose....
Pokemon lends itself to clones probably more so than any other series; if it must.
Not to mention, Ditto is always an option as a character.
Blaziken (as much as I'd rather Greninja) is easily a viable Captain Falcon clone, even costume.
Zoroark could be the Mokujin fighter others were discussing earlier about a character who utilizes other types of fighters techniques.
There are those who bring up plusle and minum.
Utilizing pokemon abilities can separate them pretty quickly as well--

anywho, no, I am avidly disgusted by the suggestion of the Mario Theory.
Pokemon is going to have more reps this go round than mario ;D

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Anyone thinking we might see a reveal at Comic-Con? God, I wish I could attend it.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I don't think Comic-Con is going to reveal anything major, but I do think veterans are possible. We've gotten some cool information this week so far what with two stage reveals.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Anyone thinking we might see a reveal at Comic-Con? God, I wish I could attend it.
I do think there will be a reveal.
And even worse, I'm trying to attend! I just got the go ahead from a huge source to proceed at all costs to buy tickets if they are available in any fashion.

Id obviously be covering smash bros above all else.
If anyone knows a means to locate tickets. Let me know.

Staarih

Smash Master
If Sakurai mentions the Comic Con like, tomorrow or something, I bet we'll get a reveal. But for some reason I have a hunch we'll get a veteran reveal via the pic of the day this Friday, rather than anything at the event. It's been a while since we had one of those. Just a hunch, but then again, what do I know...

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Didn't the Fire Emblem Colosseum get revealed right before a FE character reveal? Something similar might happen with Star Fox now that the Great Fox has been shown on the site.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Please elaborate. What does these things do? How do they function? Unique properties? I understand that you are still working on it, but just saying Coin Launch and Green Shell isn't good enough. Describe the traits of these moves. Pros and Cons.

All I can say is "Invincibility" sounds pretty broken in a setting such as smash.
The hammer would be a simple jab move, but charged up as a side smash, would send players flying similar to Mr. Game & Watch, except covering only the face side.

I didn't have a good name for Coin Launch, but the idea is that 8-Bit Mario would hit an instantly spawned brick and coins would bounce off of it; the sweet spot in general would be where the box would spawn and getting hit at that very spot could instantly K.O. an opponent provided you perform the smash attack at just the right moment.

Green, Red, and Blue shells will all inherit their abilities in the Smash Bros. series, only they will be pixelated and have slightly modified abilities. For example, the final upgradeable shell, the Blue Shell, will quickly seek out a random opponent instead of hovering over player's heads. Red Shell and Green Shells, however, will inherit their abilities from Melee and Brawl instead.

He would, after all, eventually run out of Mushrooms, Fireflowers, and Invincibilities. His maximum uses would be five Mushrooms, three Fireflowers, and one Invincibility. Each use requires a whole minute to replenish just one of each of them. Dying, however, will instantly replenish his stock of either one of these items depending on which Down Special it is.

His Dair has meteor smash component with the goal flag, but takes a bit of precision to get right. He essentially is on top of the flag pole like how you finish a stage in Super Mario Bros., but speedier to make it more useful in a Smash Bros. setting.

His Final Smash? He transforms into the Duck Hunt dog, and you play Duck Hunt for either a whole level, or until the dog laughs at you for not hitting all the ducks. Hitting the ducks comes with a meteor smash that is very difficult to pull off, but causes mild damage when a duck falls on a player, and hitting all the ducks is needed to continue the FS for the entire Duck Hunt level. You could also aim for the players directly to more easily knock them out, but each part of the level only has about five seconds, and if the ducks fly away, then the dog laughs at you, transforms back into 8-Bit Mario, and the match continues as usual. The idea is that 8-Bit Mario gives you an ultimatum: Quick and deadly, or slow and steady for the sake of balancing.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Didn't the Fire Emblem Colosseum get revealed right before a FE character reveal? Something similar might happen with Star Fox now that the Great Fox has been shown on the site.
That stage was announced a day before E3.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
By about a whole month or so, given that it was revealed due to E3 2014 (the stage doesn't hold any real significance to Robin or Lucina either since it is based on Marth's games). I wouldn't read too much into this, or else we might as well suspect a new Mega Man character due to today's potd.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Blaziken (as much as I'd rather Greninja) is easily a viable Captain Falcon clone, even costume.
That's not true. That'd completely go against Blaziken's Muay Thai motif. It'd be easier and more faithful to design a moveset based on Thai Boxing.

Then again, it's not like Mac himself is faithful to boxing.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's not true. That'd completely go against Blaziken's Muay Thai motif. It'd be easier and more faithful to design a moveset based on Thai Boxing.

Then again, it's not like Mac himself is faithful to boxing.
All I can see is that I typed Greninja instead of Sceptile. Greninja is clearly in.
I dont think Blaziken sticking to Muay Thai means a damned flying monkey's worth of merit in this game, quite frankly.

T
His Final Smash? He transforms into the Duck Hunt dog, and you play Duck Hunt for either a whole level, or until the dog laughs at you for not hitting all the ducks. Hitting the ducks comes with a meteor smash that is very difficult to pull off, but causes mild damage when a duck falls on a player, and hitting all the ducks is needed to continue the FS for the entire Duck Hunt level. You could also aim for the players directly to more easily knock them out, but each part of the level only has about five seconds, and if the ducks fly away, then the dog laughs at you, transforms back into 8-Bit Mario, and the match continues as usual. The idea is that 8-Bit Mario gives you an ultimatum: Quick and deadly, or slow and steady for the sake of balancing.
You keep saying this (pretty sure it is just you, maybe others too), but why would his Final Smash be to turn into an entirely different game? It turns mario into a shooting game, which does NOT stay to is character in one of the only genres he has never transcended in almost 200 games, and only represents him by being an older game, of which there are dozens, including the actual games he was in. Not to mention Duck Hunt is a series that can be represented all on its own.

This is also a final smash we have plenty of all ready. Might as well just say give Mario a landmaster as a final smash.

D

Deleted member

It, as well as the NSMBU stage and Golden Plains were revealed shortly before E3 because they would be showcased there.

Granted, Comic-Con is having a 3DS tournament, so a Wii U stage for Star Fox will not be featured there, but still.
At the very least we might see Wily Castle 3DS.

Last edited by a moderator:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
You keep saying this (pretty sure it is just you, maybe others too), but why would his Final Smash be to turn into an entirely different game? It turns mario into a shooting game, which does NOT stay to is character in one of the only genres he has never transcended in almost 200 games, and only represents him by being an older game, of which there are dozens, including the actual games he was in. Not to mention Duck Hunt is a series that can be represented all on its own.

This is also a final smash we have plenty of all ready. Might as well just say give Mario a landmaster as a final smash.
Because the two games were bundled together and marketed together; because Mr. Game & Watch turned into a completely different character from a completely different game, too; and because it is something that Sakurai would do.

The different genre argument and the "too many similar FS's" argument holds no water whatsoever. It'd be too late to insert, anyways, given how many transformations and whatnot that are now available. If Sakurai wants to, he'll do it.

Besides, it's all just speculative theory, anyways.

It, as well as the NSMBU stage and Golden Plains were revealed shortly before E3 because they would be showcased there.
Granted, Comic-Con is having a 3DS tournament, so a Wii U stage for Star Fox will not be featured there, but still.
From what I heard, it's the same demo build as the one from E3. We could, however, potentially learn of a few more things about the game, though. Wouldn't it be cool to get clarification on Chunky Kong or the Mechon trophies?

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Because the two games were bundled together and marketed together; because Mr. Game & Watch turned into a completely different character from a completely different game, too; and because it is something that Sakurai would do.

The different genre argument and the "too many similar FS's" argument holds no water whatsoever. It'd be too late to insert, anyways, given how many transformations and whatnot that are now available. If Sakurai wants to, he'll do it.

But they're two different games. And Mr. Game & Watch was essentially a made-up character that utilizes and references all the games on the system, so it's not the same.

I think using the argument "Sakurai will do what he wants" is something very redundant, obvious, and not a good argument. I used to use it all the time to support my claims (I think ___ will happen because Sakurai would do something like that), and it's gotten me nowhere.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire

Ah, I see. I didn't know the full details on what was going on at Comic Con. Still "a few surprises" along with the new stage could lead one to believe they might announce a new character.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
But they're two different games. And Mr. Game & Watch was essentially a made-up character that utilizes and references all the games on the system, so it's not the same.

I think using the argument "Sakurai will do what he wants" is something very redundant, obvious, and not a good argument. I used to use it all the time to support my claims (I think ___ will happen because Sakurai would do something like that), and it's gotten me nowhere.
The argument in question has to do more with the justification on his inclusion based on an original moveset. I'm not saying that it would happen that way, but that it could happen. The point being that 8-Bit Mario could be his own character with his own moveset based strictly on his games from 1981-1985 or so. Another way to look at a possible playable 8-Bit Mario would be the complete representation of the beginning of Nintendo's legacy.

Really, I have justified almost an entire moveset potential that, aside from the Fireball, has nothing to do with Mario himself.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
At the very least, I am expecting Ness as a playable character this weekend. But if it's a newcomer, I am still going to bank on Shulk getting announced.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Honestly, if we get a reveal this Friday, I think Lucas might stand a good shot. Personally, I think Ness will come in a later trailer, and cramming two MOTHER characters close together doesn't feel right, so getting Lucas out of the way now would work well. Of course, as a Lucas main (soon to be Robin main), this is wishfu tlhinking.

D

Deleted member

Troll move: Winner gets to pick veteran that gets revealed. Veteran winner picks is revealed to not be coming back. :awesome:

EDIT: By which I mean the winner picked a veteran that won't be coming back, not that Sakurai decided to cut the veteran the winner picked.

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

From what I heard, it's the same demo build as the one from E3. We could, however, potentially learn of a few more things about the game, though. Wouldn't it be cool to get clarification on Chunky Kong or the Mechon trophies?
Saying Mario is going to turn into a first Person Shooter, or that doing so is staying true to his character, is about as true as saying his Final Smash should have him on a stripper pole. It is absurd.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Saying Mario is going to turn into a first Person Shooter, or that doing so is staying true to his character, is about as true as saying his Final Smash should have him on a stripper pole. It is absurd.
I have a picture of him on a stripper pole but I don't think I should share. I'll get infracted.

CalumG

Smash Lord
The original NES came bundled with Super Mario Bros. and a stripper pole?

News to me, not gonna lie

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Sakurai doesn't mention anything about it tonight, I don't think we will get anything at SDCC.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hasnt he already mentioned it, a special surprise at SDCC?
Nintendo has, but he hasn't. He has mentioned every event that would reveal a character before hand on Miiverse, he hasn't done that yet. Friday is the only day I can see a reveal happening, since no character has been revealed on the weekend before... so if he doesn't say anything on tonight's Picture of the Day then I'm not expecting anything.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Nintendo has, but he hasn't. He has mentioned every event that would reveal a character before hand on Miiverse, he hasn't done that yet. Friday is the only day I can see a reveal happening, since no character has been revealed on the weekend before... so if he doesn't say anything on tonight's Picture of the Day then I'm not expecting anything.
The Pic of the Day won't confirm anything. He could easily just have a random post throughout the day mentioning it.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The Pic of the Day won't confirm anything. He could easily just have a random post throughout the day mentioning it.
I wasn't talking about the actual picture, I was talking about him mentioning SDCC on miiverse (which he would do when he updates the PoTD.) Which he has not done yet.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
It's possible that Sakurai may want to show off returning veterans a little more often to keep the hype going until the game's release in Japan. Or maybe not.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe he will announce he decided to cut Toon Link, afterall :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom