• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not sure if it was brought up before, but with Lucina being a carbon-copy clone of Marth moveset-wise, doesn't that make her entirely redundant with the Custom Specials?

Ergo, she's not her own character. Case closed.
That's an assumption we can't prove yet. For all we know she has the same specials but different customization options.

Plus unless she's literally an alt of Marth and they take up the same roster slot and have the same moveset, she's her own character. Just because she might be redundant doesn't mean she's not her own character. Look at TL.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Sneaky Spirit = Rhythm Heaven character.

Case closed. It's too random of an addition.
Remember Brawl speculation about how AC was not only huge but also having a stage, and yet it had no rep? I could see that happening here. Again, anything is possible though, so feel free to discount my words because they're as valid as anyone else's.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not sure if it was brought up before, but with Lucina being a carbon-copy clone of Marth moveset-wise, doesn't that make her entirely redundant with the Custom Specials?
Ergo, she's not her own character. Case closed.
Really? Have you seen all of her moves?
Do you know how fast or heavy she is in relation to Marth? Have you seen her Final Smash?

This character was just revealed. I wouldn't assume she's completely a clone based on a handful of screenshots and twenty seconds of gameplay.

Morbi

Scavenger
Shulk is definitely not feasible. In no universe is he the star of one of the most popular new Nintendo IPs in the past decade, and in no universe would Nintendo ever want him in to represent a franchise whose second (very high-budget) game is releasing in the next 12 or so months.

Shulk not being revealed today does not mean he is not going to be playable.
I did not insinuate such. I asserted; TODAY, that Shulk was not a feasible reveal (thus proving that even though I was open to Gematsu, I was not on the fence about it). If you would like, go to my profile page and read my write up. I was skirting around what actually happened in today's reveal. I asserted that Sakurai would not introduce a clip that he already introduced. I asserted that he would attenuate the leak unless he were to reveal a character in the leak (which was Chrom beyond a reasonable doubt). I asserted that a veteran would be revealed in conjunction with the leak. I asserted that it was going to be from a preexisting franchise (notably Fire Emblem or Legend of Zelda).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lucina can be a carbon copy of moveset animations, but have her own stats. Meaning that while her custom special moveset could be the similar, her different stats might make them function in a different manner.

D

Deleted member

Well she could still be like Roy or Toon Link (clones but that work different than the original)
She has shown to be a carbon-copy moveset-wise.
Not even Toon Link does that.

EDIT: So many people want to defend the idea that we have a bigger clone than Toon Link for some reason. Is that really a better alternative to Lucina being a Marth alt?

Last edited by a moderator:

domokl

Smash Lord
A villans trailer in august is starting to look more likely. Ganondorf wolf and wario still haven't been revealed yet. Ridley and k rool seem way more likely thanks to gematsus crumble and mewtwo can finish it off

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lucina has her own Final Smash guys.

That's the Exalted Falchion right there.

Morbi

Scavenger
Lucina can be a carbon copy of moveset animations, but have her own stats. Meaning that while her custom special moveset could be the similar, her different stats might make them function in a different manner.
Impossible. That is unprecedented. Smash has NEVER seen that before!

But seriously, Lucina is actually quite the interesting character. She is not just any redundant clone. She is the second clone of Marth. Roy is not our boy!

Lucina is a great reveal though. When I first joined. I wanted three things.
1. Lucina
2. Skyward Zelda Alternate
3. Playable Mewtwo

After I joined... I wanted
1. Little Mac
2. Rosalina
3. Robin

So I have everything I want... aside from Black Shadow and Ghirahim. But those characters are fairly likely given my talent of speculation. :awesome:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Some dark doors open with the death of Gematsu, that's for sure. And a lot of anticipated luxuries are put in serious jeopardy now. I'm sure the CK and Shulk threads are sweating bullets rather heavily. DLC is by no means guaranteed anymore either, and Ness's fate, as well as the fate of O12 in general, may be in peril.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman is Ubisoft's mascot.
Sneaky Spirit is not the mascot of Rhythm Heaven.
And where are the excuses coming from now.

Point completely missed, a random character showing up in a non-playable role doesn't indicate a playable character's chances.

What happens when we get, say, a random enemy from Golden Sun with no sign of Isaac, what then?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
She has shown to be a carbon-copy moveset-wise.
Not even Toon Link does that.
Again, a completely baseless claim.

We don't know what else she can do besides, like, five moves.
And Toon Link is almost a carbon copy of Link, he has very few original moves. The only thing that really differentiates him is his physics and appearance.

And we can't know Lucina's physics are different until we play the game or Sakurai tells us. We couldn't possibly tell based on what we saw alone.

D

Deleted member

And even if that's true the characters in Melee who were like that were still their own characters.
Do you not understand what carbon-copy means?
No character in Melee was a carbon-copy of each other. Not even the clones.

EDIT: AGAIN, so many people want to defend the idea we have a bigger clone than Toon Link instead of fathoming the idea that Lucina is an alt of Marth.
Why?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Cant we be happy we got two cool newconers in one trailer, people? Lucina looks fast and agile, and Robin uses magic! Come on! I love these two additions! (Kinda figured deep down we'd get a FE character)

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
What I want to know is why the notion of Lucian being an alt character such a bad thing, imagine the precedent it will set for this game, how many other alt characters that we would now possible be able get from this reveal of pallet swapped alternate characters.

quite frankly even the fact that Lucian could be a clone that takes up a spot in the roster, really bugs me :/

Maxilian

Smash Ace
The problem with what you say is that we haven't seen enough of her to call her carbon-copy, i'm not saying that you're wrong, cause... in the end you may be right, but we don't know that, so you can't say that's how it is (you can say that's how you think it is, or how it may be)

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty interesting they revealed two newcomers from the same series. I wonder if this means they're going to reveal every newcomer before the game is released.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
That's IT! Tooo many characters I wanna main, so you know what? I'll main Zelda and the Random Button.

Morbi

Scavenger
Cant we be happy we got two cool newconers in one trailer, people? Lucina looks fast and agile, and Robin uses magic! Come on! I love these two additions! (Kinda figured deep down we'd get a FE character)
Have you ever looked up a reaction video and thought, "that is completely and utterly fraudulent, they are not THAT excited"? Well, I had one of those reactions. I never thought it possible. I was laughing and smiling (this is rare). I also proclaimed that I would suck Sakurai off while staring into his glistening eyes. The offer is still on the table, Sakurai-senpai!

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I already sent an email to nintendo to confirm about this.
I'm going to tweet to sakurai and try to end this feud, because this is ridiculous.

Maxilian

Smash Ace

EDIT: AGAIN, so many people want to defend the idea we have a bigger clone than Toon Link instead of fathoming the idea that Lucina is an alt of Marth.
Why?
It could be a possibility but is weird to have her announced as a new character and not as a skin from the start

D

Deleted member

But yet you think Lucina will be after seeing short snippets of her in a trailer?

That is quite the assumption.
Name me one pair of characters that share the exact same idle stance and idle pose.

If you can do that, I'll shut up.

Lucina has her own Final Smash guys.

That's the Exalted Falchion right there.
Wut.
I don't see no Exalted Falchion.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman

Why?
The fact that her fs is different dispproves that statement altogether in that case. We've seen to little of her. From that we can confirm that's she's a semi clone, but not a carbon copy. The issue with you seems to be less of how she plays, but her inclusion itself.

Last edited:

Stalking Fury

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Lucina doesn't get the elongated newcomer box is just baffling.
It's because her and Robin share the same poster and they just decided to tack the poster onto Robin's box. I don't really think we should be reading into this, lol.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Now that Gematsu is dead, we can now have more free-ranged character discussions. This is my predicted roster. Honestly, the only one I care about is Bandana Dee. So you can replace whoever else with your favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom