• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Calm down oks?

Most people (including me) are saying that Lucina is a clone because all her moves that were shown, were also Marth's moves, that's why i say that she's a clone (a clone not an alt and by clone i mean something like what Roy was in melee)
DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN! ROBIN IS A TERRIBLE CHOICE FOR THIS GAME!

Lmao clone? Right okay, so we're judging immediately because of 15 seconds? Yeah, that's not enough game time to confirm clone just yet.

D

Deleted member

Lmao clone? Right okay, so we're judging immediately because of 15 seconds? Yeah, that's not enough game time to confirm clone just yet.
Check your bias at the door and look at the ****ing pictures.
She's either alt or clone.

DEAL WITH IT.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Congrats to Robin and Lucina supporters! @False Sense, @ Kenith Kenith , looking at you guys.

I'm sorry for pushing Gematsu like law at times. There's clearly more than the characters that Sal leaked, and obviously the info is outdated to the extent that Chrom outright isn't playable.

I still have faith for Chorus Kids and especially Shulk. The leak is outdated in my eyes. It's still 8/11 and Mii Fighters were mentioned by name. Obviously there's more than this, and it's subject to change.

Can't wait to see what comes next. I'm happy that I don't think I know what's going to happen anymore.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Yesterday I said here's to another 1,000 pages of Smash 4 Character Speculation, but now I must say here's to a brand new era of Smash 4 Character Speculation. Let's get back to character speculating free of limitations such as leaks.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Interesting how Chrom, perhaps the safest pick in speculation history for this game, is what kills Gematsu's leak.
Chrom was not the safest pick for SSB4, before the "leak" people were still pretty divided between him, Robin, Lucina, and Roy.

If any character was the safest pick, I'd guess it would've been Mewtwo or Little Mac.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I think we're going a little crazy saying that the Sal leak is debunked.

The correct word is outdated.

Sal had info and that's a fact. It was just from 2012 most likely. Sakurai tells us he had the roster in place from the beginning, but he's lying, it most likely changed during development.

Rhythm Heaven enemies are still in Smash Run. That's good enough for me to believe that that part is still accurate. Whether the rep is still Chorus Men? We don't know. Could have changed to Marshal.

LMAO it said Newcomer. She's clearly a clone, not alt which I'm fine with.

SHUT YOUR ***** MOUTH
Chill man. Robin is pretty tight, and Lucina is a clone. It's fine. The more characters the better. Chill out.

I was hesitant of the idea of there even being anymore FE reps and once again, Sakurai proved me wrong. Robin is an incredible choice. People have been asking for a FE rep that wasn't based around swords for awhile.

Last edited:

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Yes Lucina probably a semi clone similar to lucas and wolf her b moves look the same but probably have different attributes. Idk why people look at it as a bad thing though. She was mimicking Marth in awakening so I honestly think it fits. It also explains why a few of Marth's moves have been nerfed speed wise.

Regarding gematsu....yea it's wrong. Shulk and Chorus Men could both be in the game and it still would be wrong. People can finally stop sucking the fun out of speculation

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Gematsu is dead and buried. We cannot trust it anymore, and as such it is useless for speculation. Since there is no longer any reasonable tool for speculating... There's really nothing else to do but just have shouting matches over random characters. :\

This is wretched in many ways. At least there was structure, however unwanted..

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I am not a massive fan of FE, but this is the most hyped I've been in nearly a year. Lucina and Robin are both characters that seem interesting to use so I have no particular gripes with the trailer and it is much more enjoyable than the expected Shulk / other Gematsu confirmation. And as always, congratulations to the supporters of these characters for SSB4.

Gematsu is dead and buried. We cannot trust it anymore, and as such it is useless for speculation. Since there is no longer any reasonable tool for speculating... There's really nothing else to do but just have shouting matches over random characters. :\

It is interesting that you say this, as the only shouting matches I observed were between avid "Gematsu is it" supporters and the rest. Most general character discussion is quite civil. Look on the bright side; I am sure there are characters you like who aren't included in Gematsu and whose chances have now increased! Gematsu may have increased structure but it also sucked the life out of any hype people could have for new characters.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Well, I got my wish of getting unexpected newcomers! Gematsu is officially no longer gospel (thank God), though I am still open to the possibility that it's outdated or incomplete.

Robin looks amazing... but does anyone else think he hurts Isaac's chances some? I mean, most say that Isaac should be a sword/magic character, which Robin quite efficiently covers. The sheer number of swordsmen we have now suggests that we can have more than one of any archetype, and Isaac has such huge possibility for different movesets. Still, I kinda feel like Robin stole any thunder (punny) that Isaac could bring.

D

Deleted member

I think we're going a little crazy saying that the Sal leak is debunked.

The correct word is outdated.

Sal had info and that's a fact. It was just from 2012 most likely. Sakurai tells us he had the roster in place from the beginning, but he's lying, it most likely changed during development.

Rhythm Heaven enemies are still in Smash Run. That's good enough for me to believe that that part is still accurate. Whether the rep is still Chorus Men? We don't know. Could have changed to Marshal.

Chill man. Robin is pretty tight, and Lucina is a clone. It's fine. The more characters the better. Chill out.
I mentioned it in the rumor/leaks thread, but I basically said Sal could have gotten a very early roster, also explaining why he only said pokemon from X/Y. I think it's possible Chrom was planned to be a clone as well, but was Scrapped for Lucina for the sake of more female representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I believe Lucina is a full character. But still, mostly based on Marth. And is this even bad? No. Not at all. After all, 3 ****ing Fire Emblem characters made it in! Sure, it kills Roy's chances making the innitial roster (DLC is still an option) but so what? Three Fire Emblem newcomers is pretty damn amazing. Especially since nobody could make a choice between these 3, as they are all important in their own way.

I LOVE how Gematsu is confirmed at least not to contain all newcomers. And I LOVE how Sakurai spited Chrom in that trailer.

Clones are back. And I don't mind this at the very least! Think this really raises the chances of getting more characters from excisting franchises. And of course we might also get more characters from one series in one time. Everyone saying King K.Rool and Dixie couldn't possibly both make it in? Well, check again! Am quite certain that that is going to happen to for example! Am also more confident in Impa, as even though Hyrule Warriors might be "too recent" she could be made a Sheik semi-clone. As I doubt Lucina will be the only new clone character!

Anyway, today's update blew away all my expectations and I love it. I never wanted Robin, but after seeing him I really really like him!

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Well considering Chrom is still technically in the game, i don't think we should call it fake just yet, Shulk and Chorus Kids could still be a thing, a until we don't know their fate then we won't know if the leak was fake or not.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Even as someone who never played a single FE game, I'm perfectly fine with Robin and Lucina.

Regarding Lucina, I think she's just a clone, otherwise Sakurai would have stated otherwise. It's not like clones are gone anyways, look at Toon Link.

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Actually i have, you're yelling and cursing everyone, so calm down also not everyone like X or Y character, for example: i hate the idea of K. K. Roll (i hate it soooo much) but just because i don't like him, doesn't mean he's a terrible choice for Smash :drifloon:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
So. We have a Third Party Trophy....and Gematsu is broked.

Wonder if this ups Snakes Chances?! =)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I was hesitant of the idea of there even being anymore FE reps and once again, Sakurai proved me wrong. Robin is an incredible choice. People have been asking for a FE rep that wasn't based around swords for awhile.
Okay, I apologize. I'm just annoyed by the idea of Robin when there are far better characters to use, yet we end up getting a recent one over those who deserve it more. At least I know who my punching bag is for this game, so I'm sold on using Robin for that. There's always Hector, Eliwood, etc who could've added diversity over Robin who also has swords in addition to magic

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Well considering Chrom is still technically in the game, i don't think we should call it fake just yet, Shulk and Chorus Kids could still be a thing, a until we don't know their fate then we won't know if the leak was fake or not.
Chrom is a FS. Gematsu stated he would be playable. Gematsu therefore cannot be trusted to be accurate and is thus useless for speculative purposes since it's just as reasonable now to say whatever it is you feel. This opens the door to any number of things to enter the roster, and no one can say 'no that's outlandish' to any of it because it's now just a shouting match.

Morbi

Scavenger
This was supposed to be my new signature, but it will not fit. So I will just put it here and on my profile page.
Lord Master of Speculation; the best speculator on Smashboards, I am also pretentious.
Correct Predictions: Toon Link's eminent reveal, Little Mac, Rosalina as the Mario representative, Phantom as an aspect of Zelda (not an assist trophy), Pokemon Trainer's omission (solo-Charizard), returning veterans Ike and Lucario, Pac-Man, Palutena, third-party trophies, Gematsu leak is fabricated, Robin as a newcomer, Lucina as an alternative costume for MARTH GOD DAMN IT, MARTH.
Disputed Predictions: Wolf and Lucas' status as returning veterans, Snake's omission, Mewtwo's confirmation, Ridley's confirmation, Legend of Zelda representative (Ghirahim), and Black Shadow as a playable character.
Incorrect Assumptions: Greninja revealed over Mewtwo
Technically Incorrect Speculation: King Dedede's reveal date, Mii Fighters on the roster
Reasoning: I speculated heavily in favor of King Dedede until I abruptly (minutes before) and erroneously contended the notion with the sentiment that it was "too obvious." As for Mii Fighters, I asserted that they would only be available if (1) they were given preferential treatment, (2) there were customization options so that they were not counter-intuitive, and (3) if there was a feasible filter to regulate online play. I did not believe that Sakurai would satisfy these criteria, so I fallaciously assumed they were not on the roster.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I can't believe how well the Fire Emblem representation went for this game. I know some people wanted Chrom, but many of us didn't like the idea of him and wanted something more unique and representative of Fire Emblem. After all the discussion of the franchise everything actually went what I'd deem perfectly:

-Ike isn't cut.
-Robin representing magic users
-Lucina as a clone

On top of that, the timing of this is so delicious. Robin was exactly the character every non-Gematsu character needed at this moment, he was the only character who had potential to deconfirm Gematsu at this point, or at least confirm it's not definite, since Shulk and Chorus Men are from new franchises.

This was probably my favorite newcomer reveal yet because of this, and on top of that Robin himself looks pretty fun too. Oh, and one of my alts was also confirmed, that's pretty cool too. Thank you Sakurai, my hype has been renewed!

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Leaks can still be real even if they miss some parts.

Take the PokeBeach X/Y leak where it was stated that we'd get a Mega Mew and Fairy was resisted by Psychic. Everything else was accurate but it missed a few things.

Gematsu can still be real. It's just a bit harder to believe.

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Take the PokeBeach X/Y leak where it was stated that we'd get a Mega Mew and Fairy was resisted by Psychic. Everything else was accurate but it missed a few things.

IMO Gematsu leak should be taken as a grain of :salt: from now on instead of having it in a pedestal:dr^_^:

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Congrats to Robin and Lucina supporters! @False Sense, @ Kenith Kenith , looking at you guys.
I'm sorry for pushing Gematsu like law at times. There's clearly more than the characters that Sal leaked, and obviously the info is outdated to the extent that Chrom outright isn't playable.
I still have faith for Chorus Kids and especially Shulk. The leak is outdated in my eyes. It's still 8/11 and Mii Fighters were mentioned by name. Obviously there's more than this, and it's subject to change.
Can't wait to see what comes next. I'm happy that I don't think I know what's going to happen anymore.
Thank you, Louie G, for basically conceding a partial defeat.

I also would like to let you know I no longer mind the Chorus Men, I got Lucina and Robin, and maybe, considering possibilities are once again endless, I might get Ghirahim.
*offers formal handshake*

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings

No, it can't. Gematsu is done. Discard it. If it cannot be trusted, which this reveals that it cannot, it is worthless to base speculation around. It's as much a guess as just throwing darts, now.

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
Not completely, but it puts me at least 90% certain. Every move she made was a literal clone of Marth. With 'clones', they always had differences to try and justify having similar moves, but Lucina didn't have that. She was TOO clone to be a clone.
It was a 3 minute trailer, revealing three characters.

Lets pretend that each character gets 30 seconds of in game play shown (Which could honestly be less).

From those 30 seconds you are already saying that she is an exact clone of marth, with absolutely no differences? I think that, that is rash. Do you honestly believe that Soccoreye would do something like that? Especially with how much work he is putting into this game?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Wait a minute, with Lucina being a straight up clone of Marth maybe Dark Pit actually will be his own character, just as a straight up clone of Pit. If that ends up being the case I really want to see an epic trailer of heroes vs villains including the 8 franchises shown in the initial trailer. Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pit, Donkey Kong, and Pikachu vs Bowser Ganondorf, Ridley, King Dedede, Wolf, Dark Pit, K. Rool and Mewtwo. Watch it turn out that Ridley's shadow, Kremlings in Smash Run, Dark Pit's appearance in Palutena's trailer, and Greninja looking like Mewtwo were all signs of them being added.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Okay, I apologize. I'm just annoyed by the idea of Robin when there are far better characters to use, yet we end up getting a recent one over those who deserve it more. At least I know who my punching bag is for this game, so I'm sold on using Robin for that. There's always Hector, Eliwood, etc who could've added diversity over Robin who also has swords in addition to magic
I personally have never heard of those characters. But I have heard of Robin, which In my opinion makes him more deserving of the role.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Thank you, Louie G, for basically conceding a partial defeat.

I also would like to let you know I no longer mind the Chorus Men, I got Lucina and Robin, and maybe, considering possibilities are once again endless, I might get Ghirahim.
*offers formal handshake*
*accepts*

I'm having trouble posting my roster for some reason, but just to clarify...
K. Rool, Ridley, and Dixie Kong are newcomers as well as Shulk and Chorus Kids, and Lucas is back.
I don't think this is going to happen, necessarily, I'm just a little hyped and not thinking straight. :crazy:

Morbi

Scavenger
No, it can't. Gematsu is done. Discard it. If it cannot be trusted, which this reveals that it cannot, it is worthless to base speculation around. It's as much a guess as just throwing darts, now.
What happened to Mrs. Altruism is not logical because GOD would not deliberately lie after telling the truth? What happened to Sal becoming Sakurai after Shulk's reveal? Maybe he meant Robin, he does have white-hair after all, anime swordsmen confusion? I thought it was "ironclad." You are such a tool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

LMAO it said Newcomer. She's clearly a clone, not alt which I'm fine with.

SHUT YOUR ***** MOUTH
I don't know what someone put in your coffee when you weren't looking, but you need step off.
You have done nothing but get pissy over nothing since you've logged on. And for what? Denial over Lucina being an alt which started as angry denial over her even being a CLONE despite being shown using Marth's attacks?
Does it really matter to you if she's an alt? She's still in the game and you'll still be able to play as her. She's still going to be a Marth clone (which so far she's shown to be a bigger clone than Toon Link which heavily implies "alt" regardless of some "Ermahgerd it says NEWCOMER" logic (which no **** it'll say that; Lucina wasn't in Brawl in any way, shape or form, now was she?) and rage) either way.

You've made my fits of anger look peaceful, which is no easy task.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Now this is a story all about how the leak got flipped, turned upside down and I like to take a minute so just sit right there! I'll tell you how FE gave leak supporters a scare!

On Monday morning I awoke and raised, on the Smashboards is where we were left amazed! Crashing servers, voicing our rejoicing, going on servers and remembering how this leak wasn't a choice

From a single guy, he was up to no good! Started making leaks in the neighborhood! He said that it'd be Shulk but then Sakurai spoke he said," the leak is dead yall here's some Fire Emblem Folks!"

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN DUN DUNUNUN. DUN DUN.

I. Came. Back to the site at 11 or 12 and I made a long rap that gave readers some hell. But I have no reason to regret and be bored because my faith in Smash Spec has just been restored.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN DUN DUNUN :yeahboi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom