• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Archetypes in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Toad made me think more of Captain Falcon in this aspect but I guess yeah, pretty much what ya said.

Starfy again I had thought of being kinda like Squirtle in means of moves (very slippery-feel but coming out fast) but he's bit impotent on ground (maybe bit sluggish), but gracious on air (referring to Starfy's movement differences: he's slow on ground but very mobile in water). Maybe a mix of Jigglypuff and Squirtle but one can elaborate from here. Dunno which archetype he'd fall from here though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma

I like that, in fact feel free to use this thread to discuss potential move sets for the current cast.
Got any more thoughts on the Ice Climbers thing? If they were to change the shield where it could only cover part of your body and not deteriorate, that would be awesome.

Here's a Ganondorf idea I had a while back. It went with his awesome Wind Waker incarnation.
[COLLAPSE="Ganondorf"]

Now for the dual-sword Ganondorf moveset.

B: Gerudo Flip
This is a mix of Cammy's Hooligan Combination and Akuma's Demon Flip/Hyakkishu. This move is one of Ganondorf's best ways to approach as his speed isn't great. This move starts with Ganondorf flipping in the air toward the opponent. Here are the inputs for the types of attacks he gets while in this state:

B: Stab to behind, to counter anyone trying to roll to get behind him.
Side B: Grabs the opponent's head and knocks them to the ground with a ground bounce. Counters blocking.
Down B: Does an inward strike with both swords while diving in. Counters anyone rolling back to evade.
Up B: Stabs forward, countering anyone jumping away.
A: Cancel out of the jump, can be used to counter spot dodgers. Allows you to use any attack available to you.

Doing nothing just gives you a nice forward jump.

Side B: This move is a rekka type attack like Marth's Sword Dance.
The first move is a low swing to the ground. This move is safe on block and a nice spacing tool as Ganondorf moves a bit for this move. The second hit is Ganondorf lauching the opponent into the air with him following up and then here comes the fun part. Depending on what you want to have for your reward, there are three options you can choose from:

Hit #3:
Up-Side B: Ganondorf does a fierce attack that sends the opponent straight up in the air. Used as an aerial reset as Ganondorf, if done from the ground, can go straight into a double jump to keep on the offensive.
Side B: Strong dual stab that sends the opponent flying horizontally. Used for horizontal K.O.s and to regain control of the stage. This is the strongest of the three outcomes as no mixup potential is available from this.
Down-Side B: A downward strike to the opponent. At higher percentages, this can spike. Other than that, this can be used like Side B, but with the bonus of having a tech chase.

Down B: Big Mistake
Ganondorf enters a parry stance and if attacked, he grabs the opponent, whether they're in the air or not, and does the famous choke move in Brawl. Has all of the followups you've seen in assorted mods. The biggest weakpoints for this move is that it's weak against grabs and cross-up attacks like Fox Illusion and aerials that leave the opponent out of Ganondorf's grab range.

Up B: Winds of Death
This move is essentially like MvC3 Jill's Machine Gun Spray hyper. Ganondorf takes a leap, doing a slide flip with both swords extended. If the last hit lands, you get a ground bounce.

Ganondorf is still a heavy hitter, but now he has the range, mobility options, and the mixups to compensate. He has great horizontal recovery for a heavy character, but his vertical recovery is lacking as a result. [/COLLAPSE]

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Let me dig up my Ganondorf changes. I suggested a teleport move as well, with a shadow following him which would attack the opponent. In a way, it works much like hismcurrent down B, but much more defensive.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Poisonous, hahahah- But yes. This describes her the best. (-lvl-) Though maybe in close combat it's still showing she's "poisonous".

Manly: Yeah. Speaking which I should try throwing some other characters I've been supporting, like Starfy or Toad.
On Lip, I can definitely see her being a lightweight Poker/Turtle that is focused on "poisoning" abilities that slowly wear down opponents by chipping away at their health. Toss in some projectiles, give her lip-stick bo staff-like range, and a lot of mobility and she'd make one hell of an interesting character. I think she should be given a float ability similar to Peach's so that she can take advantage of her abilities, and perhaps a secondary "poison" ability that can she can stack with the Lip Stick, but I'm not sure how this would play in with her canon. As for Killing moves, nah, she should have no big ones, but rather be very good at edgeguarding, as mentioned before, make her someone that can rack up damage very quickly, but needs to get characters to very high percentages to score kills. Make her more mind-games oriented where she has to sort of trick her opponents into dying rather than killing them herself. Giving her tons of long range options and very good mobility are great ways to achieve this, like-wise, she could perhaps use good air game, indirect though, she hardly attacks herself.

Speaking of Toad, I always imagined him as a Semi-Grappler or Beat-up of sorts with above normal speed and power, but with the typical characteristics of a light weight character like small size and light weight. This is a reference to how Toad is a speedy character with abnormally high strength as suggested in varies games, for example Super Mario Bros. 2 where he was the fastest and strongest of the 4 characters available.
I never pictured Toad as a Grappler, but I have a keen interest in Lightweight Grapplers. That's what strikes me as the most interesting thing about BB's Bullet, she seems like she's gonna be one hell of a unique character, and if Toad can be this for Smash, I can definitely get behind his character. How to you go about exploiting this however, I'm intrigued to hear what you have in mind. Him getting Beatdown properties can also be great, like a mini-C.Falcon. I really wanna hear what you have in mind.

Got any more thoughts on the Ice Climbers thing? If they were to change the shield where it could only cover part of your body and not deteriorate, that would be awesome.

Here's a Ganondorf idea I had a while back. It went with his awesome Wind Waker incarnation.
[COLLAPSE="Ganondorf"]

Now for the dual-sword Ganondorf moveset.

B: Gerudo Flip
This is a mix of Cammy's Hooligan Combination and Akuma's Demon Flip/Hyakkishu. This move is one of Ganondorf's best ways to approach as his speed isn't great. This move starts with Ganondorf flipping in the air toward the opponent. Here are the inputs for the types of attacks he gets while in this state:

B: Stab to behind, to counter anyone trying to roll to get behind him.
Side B: Grabs the opponent's head and knocks them to the ground with a ground bounce. Counters blocking.
Down B: Does an inward strike with both swords while diving in. Counters anyone rolling back to evade.
Up B: Stabs forward, countering anyone jumping away.
A: Cancel out of the jump, can be used to counter spot dodgers. Allows you to use any attack available to you.

Doing nothing just gives you a nice forward jump.

Side B: This move is a rekka type attack like Marth's Sword Dance.
The first move is a low swing to the ground. This move is safe on block and a nice spacing tool as Ganondorf moves a bit for this move. The second hit is Ganondorf lauching the opponent into the air with him following up and then here comes the fun part. Depending on what you want to have for your reward, there are three options you can choose from:

Hit #3:
Up-Side B: Ganondorf does a fierce attack that sends the opponent straight up in the air. Used as an aerial reset as Ganondorf, if done from the ground, can go straight into a double jump to keep on the offensive.
Side B: Strong dual stab that sends the opponent flying horizontally. Used for horizontal K.O.s and to regain control of the stage. This is the strongest of the three outcomes as no mixup potential is available from this.
Down-Side B: A downward strike to the opponent. At higher percentages, this can spike. Other than that, this can be used like Side B, but with the bonus of having a tech chase.

Down B: Big Mistake
Ganondorf enters a parry stance and if attacked, he grabs the opponent, whether they're in the air or not, and does the famous choke move in Brawl. Has all of the followups you've seen in assorted mods. The biggest weakpoints for this move is that it's weak against grabs and cross-up attacks like Fox Illusion and aerials that leave the opponent out of Ganondorf's grab range.

Up B: Winds of Death
This move is essentially like MvC3 Jill's Machine Gun Spray hyper. Ganondorf takes a leap, doing a slide flip with both swords extended. If the last hit lands, you get a ground bounce.

Ganondorf is still a heavy hitter, but now he has the range, mobility options, and the mixups to compensate. He has great horizontal recovery for a heavy character, but his vertical recovery is lacking as a result. [/COLLAPSE]
I like your idea for the Climbers. In regard to Chain Grabbing. I don't think this should be removed to be honest. Just balanced. Perhaps they should make it so that consecutive grabs not followed by an attack that connects become subsequently more difficult. Therefore, characters that benefit from great grappling like Dedede, and IC don't become useless. Especially since Dedede is our ONLY decent heavy-weight, in fact, the only change HE needs is mostly his v+B.

IC definitely benefited from Brawl's slower mechanics, however, if SSB4 becomes a faster game like we want it to, IC are definitely going to suffer because of it. This is where your ideas come in. They definitely need a way to desync more easily, or some way of being being able to command Nana while keeping control of Popo to allow for better Tag-team tactics. Both Eddie in GG and Carl in BB can do this, I don't see why the IC can't. Double damage hardly justifies the tag team, especially since once the partner dies, you're royally ****ed. Likewise with using the partner as a shield, they need to be able to do this to compensate for their low defenses. Anyway, what do you mean by 3D strings? Do you mean like how in Tekken/SC some moves flow into certain premade combos?

Also, on Ganondorf, I like the idea of the Gerudo Flip, that could be a great alternative to the Warlock Punch to be honest. However, I think Ganondorf NEEDS a teleport.

Anyway guys, what about Bowser and Sonic? What can we do for them? They're two characters with tons of potential, that have been overlooked by Sakurai.

Also, on the current cast, where do you think Kirby, Pit, Jiggs, and the rest of the cast fit? I know Kirby hit very hard back in 64, that was his biggest strength.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I never pictured Toad as a Grappler, but I have a keen interest in Lightweight Grapplers. That's what strikes me as the most interesting thing about BB's Bullet, she seems like she's gonna be one hell of a unique character, and if Toad can be this for Smash, I can definitely get behind his character. How to you go about exploiting this however, I'm intrigued to hear what you have in mind. Him getting Beatdown properties can also be great, like a mini-C.Falcon. I really wanna hear what you have in mind.
My idea of Toad was to be a glass cannon of sorts with his greatest attributes being speed and power, with a mixture of slow powerful attacks and a fast weak attacks. The main draw to using Toad would be his amazing capabilities for damage output and varies ways he can do it, but with many things hindering him that needs to be conquered in order to take advantage of it. Notably low range and recovery capabilities despite being a light weight character, the obligatory disadvantage of being very light to begin with, and a lack of any defensive tactics like projectiles or reflectors. As long as you can keep Toad on the field and overcome his short comings, you can do considerable damage to your opponent.

Also, on the current cast, where do you think Kirby, Pit, Jiggs, and the rest of the cast fit? I know Kirby hit very hard back in 64, that was his biggest strength.
Kirby is Balanced slightly edging on Beatdown.
Pit is Mix Up.
Jigglypuff is Momentum based due to her great air game (most notable in Melee).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anyway, what do you mean by 3D strings? Do you mean like how in Tekken/SC some moves flow into certain premade combos?

Anyway guys, what about Bowser and Sonic? What can we do for them? They're two characters with tons of potential, that have been overlooked by Sakurai.
Yeah, that's what I mean. For example, you may have these strings:

A, FTilt - Popo Swings and Nana swings forward for the second move.
A, UTilt - Popo Swings and Nana swings diving in.
A, DTilt - Popo Swings and Nana does a sweep with her hammer.

Something like that.

For Bowser, the priority range needs to be narrowed to 2-3%, he needs bigger size and larger hitboxes along with antiair options. Sonic needs some moves changed to his Sonic Battle ones. DI should be changed to where Sonic can keep the opponent locked in a 3-way vortex by continually attacking with Down B (a stance move) followups.

D

Deleted member

My idea of Toad was to be a glass cannon of sorts with his greatest attributes being speed and power, with a mixture of slow powerful attacks and a fast weak attacks. The main draw to using Toad would be his amazing capabilities for damage output and varies ways he can do it, but with many things hindering him that needs to be conquered in order to take advantage of it. Notably low range and recovery capabilities despite being a light weight character, the obligatory disadvantage of being very light to begin with, and a lack of any defensive tactics like projectiles or reflectors. As long as you can keep Toad on the field and overcome his short comings, you can do considerable damage to your opponent.

Kirby is Balanced slightly edging on Beatdown.
Pit is Mix Up.
Jigglypuff is Momentum based due to her great air game (most notable in Melee).
Hmm, a Glass cannon, I like it, but he would have to be more explosive than 64's Kirby to make up for his poor recovery, he also needs good AA, and great Speed, maybe a couple mix up moves a la Slayer. In fact, when you said Glass Cannon, I kinda pictured Toad as a lightweight Slayer, minus the vanish dash animation.

Speaking of Slayer, when it comes to Lil Mac, I see him as a mix of Slayer (GG) and Dudley(SF)
CROSS COUNTAH
personally, a very strategic character, with great Rushdown tactics and a lot of explosive power, making him a hybrid between Mix Up and Beatdown. In fact they could even give him that one move from Hajime no Ippo, the "Dempsey Roll."

As for the 3 characters I mentioned, you're on the same page as me, thoughts on Roy? He's a bit tougher to pin down, he's too slow to be a Momentum character and lacks the range to be Mix Up, he might be either a Beatdown, or Balanced, it all depends on how good Roy's defensive game is. I never played AS him, always against him, and all Roy users simply can't keep up with Marth from my experience.

Yeah, that's what I mean. For example, you may have these strings:

A, FTilt - Popo Swings and Nana swings forward for the second move.
A, UTilt - Popo Swings and Nana swings diving in.
A, DTilt - Popo Swings and Nana does a sweep with her hammer.

Something like that.

For Bowser, the priority range needs to be narrowed to 2-3%, he needs bigger size and larger hitboxes along with antiair options. Sonic needs some moves changed to his Sonic Battle ones. DI should be changed to where Sonic can keep the opponent locked in a 3-way vortex by continually attacking with Down B (a stance move) followups.
Hmm, that deal on the ICs sounds interesting, especially if Popo's next attacks cause Nana to follow up with something different. This has the potential of being broken though, I wonder...

I think Bowser needs less hitstun, they were in the right direction in Brawl. Especially with that SideB, which needs to be turned into a counter Throw a la Zangief. Up the Damage a lot (40%-50%?), drop the knockback to allow for combos. Take away all DI from it so it goes straight up and down, and make it a ground only move, so it's not longer a cheap suicide tactic. It has shorter range, but will bypass ALL close range attacks. In fact, any attack that connects with Bowser while he does that move, even Mid-range Pokes, initiate the move. It can be used as a command grab at very close range though. Agreed on the Size, range and hitboxes, likewise with AA, however, Bowser has stubs for arms and legs, it's hard to picture him doing a hit like Bison's heavy roundhouse. But he has been shown to "inflate" his arms in M&L3, so maybe there's that. Maybe if Bowser was a bit more "cartoony" and less feral this time around they could work a bit more with him. This means goodbye to GigaBowser... maybe, but w/e. It'd be neat to see them get creative and give him a new FS, and keep Giga a hidden Boss.

I'm interested in hearing in how you plan on making Sonic's v+B a Stance move, I wanna see what you have in mind for him as a stance user.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
With that idea, the Ice Climbers would be tough to balance, but there a few things that can help with that.

Skullgirls has a mechanic that makes unblockables impossible, meaning you can't go in for an aerial while your partner goes for a low to get an unblockable. That could be applied here.

I'll have to get back to you on the Sonic one though.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Just make it so Nana can't grab, but they can still desync and give em some better neutral game pokes and they'll be set.

Also ****ing phenomenal OP.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
thoughts on Roy? He's a bit tougher to pin down, he's too slow to be a Momentum character and lacks the range to be Mix Up, he might be either a Beatdown, or Balanced, it all depends on how good Roy's defensive game is.
Roy tries to be a Momentum character, arguably more so then even Marth since he needed to be much closer (Roy's sweet spots were at the base of the blade instead of the tip like Marth) and actually had better speed thanks to his better SHFFL capabilities. Ironically despite being more powerful then Marth, Roy was less effective at preforming KO's because of the close combat play limiting his combo and range capabilities. It's this reason why Marth and Roy are very separate on the tier list.

In a nutshell Roy tries the Momentum card, but becomes more of a Semi-Grappler instead.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
On Lip, I can definitely see her being a lightweight Poker/Turtle that is focused on "poisoning" abilities that slowly wear down opponents by chipping away at their health. Toss in some projectiles, give her lip-stick bo staff-like range, and a lot of mobility and she'd make one hell of an interesting character. I think she should be given a float ability similar to Peach's so that she can take advantage of her abilities, and perhaps a secondary "poison" ability that can she can stack with the Lip Stick, but I'm not sure how this would play in with her canon. As for Killing moves, nah, she should have no big ones, but rather be very good at edgeguarding, as mentioned before, make her someone that can rack up damage very quickly, but needs to get characters to very high percentages to score kills. Make her more mind-games oriented where she has to sort of trick her opponents into dying rather than killing them herself. Giving her tons of long range options and very good mobility are great ways to achieve this, like-wise, she could perhaps use good air game, indirect though, she hardly attacks herself.
Now this is how I'd envision her like, pretty analogue to Panel De Pon/Puzzle League-games in means of playstyle. (I mean puzzlers are all about chipping away health from someone else.)
I think she'd be hard to master but that should be her nature in general. (-lul-)_b

Something else I thought is that maybe her means of movement or style in attacks are "magical girl"-like, akin to what Captain Falcon is based on Kamen Rider-styled characters. Lip having control on flowery stuff would also play some possible roles on her moveset. But dang she'd be interesting and still have lots of character if this all would be coming to play.

About the secondary poison ability, I dunno if it's needed, not much indication for so in her canon indeed so I don't think it's necessary.

I've thought of this as well, him being bit of a Beatdown like Falcon seems to fit his character traits from SMB2 well: though who knows, since he might have low jumps (?) and is lightweight, people might still prefer Falcon to him?

Speaking of Toad, there's Super Smash Bros Crusade having Toad playable- dunno if he's something like we had envisioned him here, anyone knowledged about the game much enough to check that?

I might go now to even archive the potential playstyles for the newcomers many agree around here and who knows, check if we get it right later on if SSB4 has these characters.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I suggest to ad Doronjo fro Tatsunoko Versus Capcom to the Joke characters list because:
1) Rather than ignoring the fact she is dressed as a hooker she fully fits the ***** role, with moves that scream **** a mile away, like the lay down move that makes her looks tempting (in every sense) and helpless while instead it's a preparation move for a high kicks combo. I like using that move because it scream silently "Come on here!" more than Scorpion's loud voice.
2) She uses her two henchmen (the tall slim Boiakky and the short muscolar Tompsula) to do her special moves and super moves.
3) Despite that she is a good fighter on the long and short distance, unlike Dan, that is a joke char just because he is not more than a lame version of Ryu & Ken, created uniquely to parodize both Ryo Sakazaki and Rober Garcia of The Art Of Fighting (the first game to have the tease-your-opponent gimmik).

D

Deleted member

Roy tries to be a Momentum character, arguably more so then even Marth since he needed to be much closer (Roy's sweet spots were at the base of the blade instead of the tip like Marth) and actually had better speed thanks to his better SHFFL capabilities. Ironically despite being more powerful then Marth, Roy was less effective at preforming KO's because of the close combat play limiting his combo and range capabilities. It's this reason why Marth and Roy are very separate on the tier list.

In a nutshell Roy tries the Momentum card, but becomes more of a Semi-Grappler instead.

Roy a Semi-Grappler? But he doesn't have much Grapple focus... He might be more beatdown just because of the close range and power. Yoshi's a Semi-Grappler, but... Roy?

Marth is great at pulling off KO's because of that tip, that's why when his range was cut in Brawl he was hurt a bit, if the tip's power gets nerfed for 4, Marth will become a **** character...

Now this is how I'd envision her like, pretty analogue to Panel De Pon/Puzzle League-games in means of playstyle. (I mean puzzlers are all about chipping away health from someone else.)
I think she'd be hard to master but that should be her nature in general. (-lul-)_b

Something else I thought is that maybe her means of movement or style in attacks are "magical girl"-like, akin to what Captain Falcon is based on Kamen Rider-styled characters. Lip having control on flowery stuff would also play some possible roles on her moveset. But dang she'd be interesting and still have lots of character if this all would be coming to play.

About the secondary poison ability, I dunno if it's needed, not much indication for so in her canon indeed so I don't think it's necessary.
Magical Girl huh... That sounds interesting, as long she doesn't get her head bitten off it's all good. Gahahaha.

[COLLAPSE="Mami"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I suggest to ad Doronjo fro Tatsunoko Versus Capcom to the Joke characters list because:
1) Rather than ignoring the fact she is dressed as a hooker she fully fits the ***** role, with moves that scream **** a mile away, like the lay down move that makes her looks tempting (in every sense) and helpless while instead it's a preparation move for a high kicks combo. I like using that move because it scream silently "Come on here!" more than Scorpion's loud voice.
2) She uses her two henchmen (the tall slim Boiakky and the short muscolar Tompsula) to do her special moves and super moves.
3) Despite that she is a good fighter on the long and short distance, unlike Dan, that is a joke char just because he is not more than a lame version of Ryu & Ken, created uniquely to parodize both Ryo Sakazaki and Rober Garcia of The Art Of Fighting (the first game to have the tease-your-opponent gimmik).

Will do chief, I also gotta add Shang Tsung, Inferno and Charade as transforming character examples.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but how would you classify a character that is heavily requested, such as K.Rool, Ridley, or Megaman

What each potential character would be depends on what sort of move set you decide to give them, as for what I see for each one of those... Give me some time to give it some thought, and I'll post it when I do.

As it stands, I can see K.Rool as a Heavy, Grapple/Powerhouse + Zoner (Sniper) hybrid, Ridley a Fast Heavy Grappler + Poker hybrid, and MegaMan I'm not too sure, I have the hardest time thinking of a proper moveset for him, I want him to have transformation mechanics. Maybe something like Kirby, where like... He randomly gets 4/8 Megaman 2 boss weapons, and his 4 taunts let him change his Megabuster to that, the adaptability plus random factor could make a neat character. I kinda picture him like Zappa is in GG.

Hey, when it comes to Toad, what about some Random Dynamics, like some sort of RGN, Dice Roll, making him Somewhat Luck based too, Like G&W, to contrast his influence on the Mario Party series, from what I remember he's usually the GameMaster.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm not seeing the point or necessity of this discussion frankly. The cast is plenty varied just on how they play the neutral game alone.

All the characters with air grabs are the closest you're going to get to grapplers, and they very much serve the same function: making their opponent account for one out-of-place option compared to what other characters have.

D

Deleted member

I'm not seeing the point or necessity of this discussion frankly. The cast is plenty varied just on how they play the neutral game alone.

All the characters with air grabs are the closest you're going to get to grapplers, and they very much serve the same function: making their opponent account for one out-of-place option compared to what other characters have.
I disagree, the cast is littered with clones and similar play styles, and there are many missed opportunities as mentioned with Bowser, Ganondorf and Sonic. Not to mention many popular characters are desired based on fandom alone and don't take playstyle into consideration.

Just take a look at how many Mix-Ups, poor implemented Momentum characters, and Snipers the game has in the OP. Granted, those are the most common archetypes in fighting games, but other fighters do a good job at having drastic variety, go play Guilty Gear and compare ITS cast to the cast of Smash Bros. Guilty Gear has a lot of characters that are varied and unique not just in design but in playstyle as well.

This thread is designed to give an example of how other fighting games work with the archetypes, and allow people to get creative to "fix" the current cast and think critically about HOW they want their favorite characters in.

The other threads focus on WHAT, this thread focuses on HOW.

I think it is very relevant.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yet her theme tells her to do so.

On a serious note, this thread really makes people think if their characters can really bring anything new. Take Pacman. Yeah, he's iconic, but I can't think of anything belonging to him that would make him standout as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

Take Pacman. Yeah, he's iconic, but I can't think of anything belonging to him that would make him standout as a playable character.
Exactly, and this is why I can't stand behind Pac-Man as a character. Likewise for Lloyd, I know his moveset is "practically made" as Tales of Symphonia's combat system or whatever, but I've seen his proposed moveset, and it really isn't that interesting.

>oh a faster Marth with faster frame-rates...

So it makes people really stop and think about their characters, not only that but people that may have been opposed to other characters have a chance at getting a glimpse at potential move-sets and play-styles. I've already changed my stance on a couple characters simply because of suggested styles on here.

Like I said, the character specifics focus on WHAT and WHY, and the General focuses on WHO and WHY, this thread focuses on the ever important HOW. Which in a videogame, is the MOST important aspect. People coming to this thread are encouraged to be creative and elaborate on characters, both new and current. Sure, the ideas on here may never come to fruition, but hey, nothing wrong with some speculation and creativity. Especially when we have threads for truly impossible characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
A number of movesets I've seen aren't that reat beyond a mishmatch of different abilities and generic attacks. At least when I do mine, I have a general strategy in mind. Check the movesets thread for my Krystal example. I think Lloyd could work, but it also depends on the mechanics of the game. Like the Ice Climbers example I mentioned earlier, Lloyd may also work as a character that chips with 50/50 strings if we have the shield system completely redone. In a sense, I can see him like the Tekken Capos with multiple stances and moves that go in and out of them.

On more veterans being changed up.

Mario - Give him the ability to do three fireballs like in the Mario games for a stupid fun zoning game. Make his attacks better in general. He should be more intimidating.
Luigi - Not much I can say on him. Can't say the Polturgust wouldn't do any more or less for him.
Falco - Dual lasers with the ability to aim two consecutive shots in the same direction. Make Up B a Flash Kick, Side B same with Jump Cancel on hit (same for Fox), and a mix of Spinning Bird Kick (ground) and Viewtiful Joe's zoom kick (air) for a Down B with projectile reflection properties. Now three jumps are available. These new changes would make him a personified Arwing.
Wolf - More feral use of weapons for specials. Namely, deadliler weapons from Assault.

Mewtwo - Completely redone. I picture him working as a mixture of Urien and Athena from KOF. A command grab, a well sized, non charged projectile (but relatively weak), Teleport, and Light Screen that functions as a nerfed Aegis Reflector.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Exactly, and this is why I can't stand behind Pac-Man as a character. Likewise for Lloyd, I know his moveset is "practically made" as Tales of Symphonia's combat system or whatever, but I've seen his proposed moveset, and it really isn't that interesting.

>oh a faster Marth with faster frame-rates...
Thanks so much for summing up why I don't like Pac-Man myself as a candidate. I had tried to get my point across so much in the Social Roster Discussion Thread about why I find him generic and while I had been bombarded with many interesting moves from World-games, he doesn't just have any definitive way of character or playstyle that would make him interesting to play.

Lloyd again is a lot like a link-tech character with his sword abilities which he can connect well together like in his appearances. He has also lots of different moves for that kind of versatility (Demon Fang can essentially be a ground-traveling projectile) But that's just me.

So it makes people really stop and think about their characters, not only that but people that may have been opposed to other characters have a chance at getting a glimpse at potential move-sets and play-styles. I've already changed my stance on a couple characters simply because of suggested styles on here.

Like I said, the character specifics focus on WHAT and WHY, and the General focuses on WHO and WHY, this thread focuses on the ever important HOW. Which in a videogame, is the MOST important aspect. People coming to this thread are encouraged to be creative and elaborate on characters, both new and current. Sure, the ideas on here may never come to fruition, but hey, nothing wrong with some speculation and creativity. Especially when we have threads for truly impossible characters.
Indeed. This is something I try to strife on too when doing movesets for some characters and think how'd they play out. Usually it starts from looking at their source appearances (games, stats, abilities, character) and there you have it. It's quite fun to flesh them to fighters in this norm.

For example I had thought of Pokemon Adventures' Gold (Ethan's most popular manga counterpart)- he uses a cuestick a lot in his adventures and can launch his Pokeballs around with them. Also he's kind of a trickster too. So I thought he'd have a mid-range in some of his attacks due his cue-stick and stronger attacks have a cycling move attribute thing akin to Olimar & Pikmin (with different Pokemon of his appearing to deliver the attacks) and he can switch the balls for specific moves or combo strings. He can also be a bit of a trickster archetype with the opponent usually not knowing which pokemon might come out from the ball next in the heat of a battle. And if a special move letting him to ping away a ball is implemented, he could use them as a combo-starter projectiles.

D

Deleted member

Thanks so much for summing up why I don't like Pac-Man myself as a candidate. I had tried to get my point across so much in the Social Roster Discussion Thread about why I find him generic and while I had been bombarded with many interesting moves from World-games, he doesn't just have any definitive way of character or playstyle that would make him interesting to play.

Lloyd again is a lot like a link-tech character with his sword abilities which he can connect well together like in his appearances. He has also lots of different moves for that kind of versatility (Demon Fang can essentially be a ground-traveling projectile) But that's just me.

Indeed. This is something I try to strife on too when doing movesets for some characters and think how'd they play out. Usually it starts from looking at their source appearances (games, stats, abilities, character) and there you have it. It's quite fun to flesh them to fighters in this norm.

For example I had thought of Pokemon Adventures' Gold (Ethan's most popular manga counterpart)- he uses a cuestick a lot in his adventures and can launch his Pokeballs around with them. Also he's kind of a trickster too. So I thought he'd have a mid-range in some of his attacks due his cue-stick and stronger attacks have a cycling move attribute thing akin to Olimar & Pikmin (with different Pokemon of his appearing to deliver the attacks) and he can switch the balls for specific moves or combo strings. He can also be a bit of a trickster archetype with the opponent usually not knowing which pokemon might come out from the ball next in the heat of a battle. And if a special move letting him to ping away a ball is implemented, he could use them as a combo-starter projectiles.

Hmm, well it's just I haven't played "Tales of" series personally, so that's part of it, perhaps I need to take a closer look at Lloyd, as he has a hard time standing out over the other swordsmen, but he DOES have more potential over Pac-Man, being the two Namco characters with a realistic chance, that is the reason I back him over Pac-Man.

You idea for Ethan/Gold for some reason reminded me of Venom from GG.

Speaking of Pokemon Trainer, this character needs to be a Turtle+Puppeteer Hybrid, not a Transforming character. He needs to be more like a Summoner of sorts who hides behind his Pokemon, like, a more defensive IC who is focused on keeping pressure by always sending out Pokemon. It's not too far fetched to see THEM fight really. I mean they ARE adventurers who put themselves in harms way on a daily basis, like a sort of Young Indiana Jones. Just change Red's design so he doesn't look so Goofy/Generic, or choose a better designed Trainer, Like May, or White, or Emerald, or Barry, or N, hell even Giovanni or Blue, if you wanna go Retro. The move-set is a bit tricky to work with Smash's controls, but I'm sure we can do something.

I think, Specials Summon different Pokemon (4?), Neutrals and Aerials Command them, Shield Works for the Pokemon only, but he gets right in front of the Trainer to Block all damage, Roll works on both, as do the movement commands, in an Ice Climbers like fashion, except the Pokemon is always a little in front of this Trainer, ready to attack. They can stray from the Trainer a bit (especially because of their Jump and Aerials) but will always return their position in from of him after they finish attacking. To deal damage, you have to attack the trainer, the fatigue mechanic is still in play. The hit stun on the Pokemon is much higher, if you want a sure fire way to interrupt attacks, it is by attacking the trainer. As for Jumps, Pokemon Trainer gets 1 jump, the Pokemon themselves vary (Charizard has 5, Squirtle 2, etc...).

The fatigue mechanic needs to be reworked, rather than Time-Based, it's now Damage based, deal damage to Pokemon to Fatigue them and faint them, if you accomplish this, they're automatically returned to the Pokeball. The KO damage has to be done to the Trainer himself. The Pokemon don't have the added knock-back from high damage, and you can have multiple Pokemon out at once, this helps compensate for the Trainers poor defenses, and the reason why he's a Turtle character.

So take this for example:
Red-
Up-B Charizard
Down-B Snorlax
Side B- Ivysaur
Neutra B- Squirtle
(I gave him two large Pokemon for added defense, I contemplated giving him Venasaur instead of Ivy as well, but whatever...)

You Summon Charizard, and you have a 10 second delay before being able to Summon another Pokemon, the Pokeballs themselves have 2.5 second delay when bringing out a Pokemon, Pokemon are invincible upon coming out, pressing Up-B again has Charizard Return to the Pokeball, the return is near instant, the moment you press Up-B, that Red Beam absorbs the Pokemon and he has invincibility. You can summon another Pokemon immediately after calling one back, there's no problem there, as long as you adhere to the 10 second delay. Now be careful with fatigue, calling a Pokemon back will allow it to heal over time, Pokemon rack up fatigue quickly, so effective use of the Trainer falls in constantly switching between teams of 2 Pokemon to maintain pressure. Having a Pokemon take too much damage will cause it to faint, meaning you cannot send him out again until Red is KOed. Once the Trainer is KOed, all Pokemon are reset back to full health. Now Summoning Pokemon after calling a certain one back after certain moves, allows you to skip the 2.5 second Pokeball delay, and even string certain combos. Which is what is part of learning this difficult character.

One more thing, Red himself CAN indeed Grab opponents, however, they cannot Chain Grab, as Red himself cannot Throw.

As for Pokemon and their Properties:
Charizard-Speedy Poker/Sniper, with good defenses, and GREAT aerial game.
Snorlax- Slow Powerhouse, INSANE defense, and even comes with Rest and Snore to allow him to heal during battle, has good grapple moves, but slow mobility, mainly serves as the Tank of the group.
Ivysaur- Midrange Grappler, with great Zoning moves, has lots of Command grabs.
Squirle- Same as Project M more or less.

Obviously because the Pokemon lack special attacks a lot of their specials were moved over to their Tilts, Smash, and Aerial Attacks, this is a fair trade as they lack the ability to rack up knock-back damage.

Oh, and one more thing, if the Pokemon fall off the stage they count as KOed and cannot be sent out again until Red is KOed.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the desired direction for Pokemon Trainer depends on how you view all four characters. I always viewed the Trainer as the connector between all three Pokemon. He's the reason why all three are together. As such, I pictured more of a Marvel or Skullgirls type of system, especially where you can choose the size of your team.

D

Deleted member

I think the desired direction for Pokemon Trainer depends on how you view all four characters. I always viewed the Trainer as the connector between all three Pokemon. He's the reason why all three are together. As such, I pictured more of a Marvel or Skullgirls type of system, especially where you can choose the size of your team.
Well, that's another take on his character, there are many things you could do with the Pokemon Trainer. In fact, I wrote up a moveset for them more like what you mentioned, let me go dig it up.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14985312&postcount=171

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I believe that despite a similar play style, a character can fill in a different niche if the character has the moves to do so. This is fairly subjected, but generally speaking even similar characters can be different.

For example, there is Takamaru and Marth. While at first they would fill in a similar niche of being a Momentum character that would overwhelm the opponent with speedy combos, they can function differently with the moves in question. For example, Takamaru could have better ground based combat with the ability to punish stalling far better with shurikens, invisibility, and better dashing and falling speed, but at the cost of smaller range, slightly lower power, and worse air game due to the faster falling speed.

So while Marth would be more of a Momentum + Poker, Takamaru would be more of a Momentum + Sniper or Momentum + Mix Up.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah, I see Takamaru, based off what I've seen as an aggressive zoner.

D

Deleted member

I believe that despite a similar play style, a character can fill in a different niche if the character has the moves to do so. This is fairly subjected, but generally speaking even similar characters can be different.

For example, there is Takamaru and Marth. While at first they would fill in a similar niche of being a Momentum character that would overwhelm the opponent with speedy combos, they can function differently with the moves in question. For example, Takamaru could have better ground based combat with the ability to punish stalling far better with shurikens, invisibility, and better dashing and falling speed, but at the cost of smaller range, slightly lower power, and worse air game due to the faster falling speed.

So while Marth would be more of a Momentum + Poker, Takamaru would be more of a Momentum + Sniper or Momentum + Mix Up.
From what I've seen in clips of his game and the like, Takamaru brings a lot to the table and can be one hell of an interesting character.

I see the same when I see Takamaru, a speedy Momentum character, with a nice arsenal of different long range attacks, thus making him more of a Mix-Up. I can see him suffering on the defensive side like Marth does, but having the tools to really throw opponents off. I see him like a sort of Baiken, with the different tools and chains and claws and explosives and stuff, but without the counter mechanics. Thing is, I see him having better air game than Marth, but slightly worse running speed, or rather, a more -long range- air game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Takamaru also shoot fireballs? If that's the case I can see his FAir being like Akuma/Gouken's aerial Hadoukens.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Snorlax would be an awesome Luigified Jigglypuff clone. Always said that.

DarkAres

Smash Rookie

Hm...where do you guys think Shulk would fall? He could potentially be a "Stance" character if he can turn the Monado on or off during battle. But given his ability to see the future, he could also be counter-based, or even a defensive type.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Going to post some arch types, with some of these being more fleshed out descriptions from here or other threads.

[COLLAPSE="Palutena"]Palutena is a character that focuses on defensive spacing then pure offense. Despite her fairly scrawny appearance, she boasts abnormally high weight but also light movement. Her light movements in the air gives her some resilience to chain grabs and gives her above normal air game, but at the cost of poor falling speed making approaches on the ground slightly more difficult. One interesting attribute that applies to all of Palutena's attacks is the very high range; using a combination of her staff and magic she can safely wear down the opponent from a very long distance. This ranged play is further contributed to her attacks being more powerful the farther away, and a reliably projectile with the longest range of any projectile. She also boasts arguably the best recovery in the game in the form of Wing of Glaucus, which combined with her weight makes her the queen of endurance.

Unfortunatly, Palutena suffers from low damage output and mediocre speed. The lower power is further contributed by the range mechanic mentioned above, which means if you don't properly space yourself you'd be doing pathetic damage. Several of her attacks are moderately slow too, meaning that combos are out of the question for the most part. Using Palutena in a single player context is a tad iffy, but in team battles she can become a really beneficial team member.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="King K. Rool"]The crocodile, as you should know, is a predator who waits in the murky waters to snatch up prey that gets too close to it's powerful jaws. This description fits K. Rool to a tee, a character who is designed to cause massive devastation to anyone greedy enough that gets too close. As a whole King K. Rool has very limited mobility, huge size, heavy weight, and raw power. But his greatest assist is being able to punish the opponent for getting too close. His attacks are actually longer ranged and faster then a typical heavy weight character, and sports very useful utility moves like a potent spike and a very diverse projectile. But one this K. Rool boasts is probably the best grab game ever, a grab with very long reach and speed with throws that can ether be used for combos or potent finishing moves.

But like stated, he is very limited in mobility with low movement in both the air and on the ground. Because of the limited mobility, he is not a character designed to pursue characters but is instead designed to wait for his victims to get close enough to him. Combined with his large size, he's a easy victim for combos from faster characters, especially considering that his recovery is moderately average at best.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Takamaru"]Takamru is very fast in every category. Fast fall, fast walking, fast running, fast attacks. If you looked up fast, you'd probably see Takamaru's face on there. But speed isn't the only thing going for him. With a combination of his invisibility and shurikens, Takamaru is a effective character for both zoning and approaching. This is further cemented by the slightly above normal range thanks to his katana and the ability to preform very vicious combos very quickly.

The main flaw with Takamaru is his power is fairly minuscule compared to other characters, with some of his better finishing moves having more awkward range or speed. Most of his attacks also have a specific sweet spot that makes preforming more damage to be somewhat tricky. He has slightly below average weight, and because of that and his fast falling speed he is easily more knocked around then other characters. Luckily his recovery isn't too horrible compared to other characters of his ilk, but it's still not the best around.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Ridley"]A malicious beast of a character. Ridley posses a higher amount of power and weight like the other heavy weight characters of his kin, but his speed is generally faster. Notably he posses a relatively high dash speed and superb aerial movement. While Ridley is indeed powerful, his greatest strength is in the air. His multiple jumps, glide, and powerful aerial attacks makes Ridley much more able in aerial combat then the other heavy weight characters of his kin. Because Ridley's ability to be an aerial threat, he is a great choice of character for edge guarding or wall of pain strategies. Ridley also has a decent projectile for spacing purposes or sniping the opponent from far away.

His greatest weakness is being a very large target while being abnormally floaty, and as such Ridley is often a victim of juggling. While not crippling, his ground game is more awkward with moves that often are slower in execution or often having unusual angles or range. Ridley in general should play an aerial game, especially since many of his most potent combos are preformed in the air.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Toad"]Despite his docile appearance, he defies a lot of rules. While Toad is quick on his feet and light, he is more powerful then other light weight characters of his ilk. His smash attacks, tilts, and throws are in particular very potent. Combing his speed with his power means that Toad is no slouch when it comes to bringing on the punishment with ether effective combos or powerful finishing move. In particular his lightness and small size makes him more resilient to juggling or chaingrabs, which can help change the tide of battle in a flash.

What cripples Toad is being very vulnerable to offense. Because of Toad's light weight he is easly knocked out more then other characters, but unlike the light weight characters his recovery is much more underwhelming. Also unlike others of his kin, Toad's range is absolutely pathetic with no projectile to compensate and his jump is abnormally low. As such players should treat Toad as a glass cannon, a character who can dish out a lot of punishment but cannot take a hit.[/COLLAPSE]

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Habanero, great descriptions! Especially like the Palutena and K.Rool ones. Though I believe that K.Rool should still be a little slower than DK though, who's also still a top notch heavy weight. In response, K.Rool should be a bit more defensive than most heavy weights. Really waiting for those to get close to punish them bad.

His Forward Smash for example should imo be the belly flop from DK:Land. A rather quick move, not very damaging, but with good knockback, range, and especially: super armor on the whole belly. Very good for pushing reckless attackers at range. Good combo finisher for grounded options as well. Though, not very effective on heavier characters. While his normal jumps aren't / shouldn't be good, he has a nice Up B for recovery though, which makes him quite hard to kill, much like King DeDeDe. And he should have at least one other quick but strong move, a move so fast that it deceives his size, as he's a born cheater. :smirk: But make that move not as well ranged as his other attacks.

Takamaru I always thought of as a mix of Pit and Young / Toon Link. But with different, but equally annoying projectiles.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You should totally post that K. Rool description in his thread...it's brilliant! ^_^

I would hope at least some of his DKC speed and jumping prowess is kept, since to be honest, being a massive tub of lard is a crippling enough balancing factor for most heavyweights as it is.

Basically, in terms of projectiles, his cannonballs could be used any number of ways. If regular cannonballs are used, they could be used as a camping tool, drawing in opponents who must interrupt their master to stop them from coming. Or, if the spiked ones come into play, they could block off areas of the stage from opponents, caging them in with, as you so aptly point out, a predatory beast.

The crown could help out with pulling in foes, or could pop opponents up into the air so that K. Rool can test out that potent spike of his (which I always pictured as the belly flop so rightly referenced above by Diddy Kong).

In terms of the others, they're very well-written as well, specifically Palutena's and Takamaru's, whose playstyles aren't as obvious when compared to aerial Ridley and surprisingly strong Toad.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In terms of the others, they're very well-written as well, specifically Palutena's and Takamaru's, whose playstyles aren't as obvious when compared to aerial Ridley and surprisingly strong Toad.
I honestly thought Palutena and Takamaru were kind of obvious in terms of play style.

Palutena in canon is more of a passive character who despite being a god capable of raining down brightly lit hell from above, prefers to use Pit (and to a lesser extent the Centurions) to do the muscle work instead. Even when Palutena was possessed by the Chaos Kin, she spent most of the time far away spamming every projectile in the book to wear down Pit. The more passive nature and the reliance of ranged attacks is why I viewed her as a defensive character that focuses on wearing the opponent down with ranged attacks instead of being ruthless in close combat.

The heavy weight is derived from her wielding the staff and shield, and wearing jewelry. The floaty air movement is a reference to her ability to levitate, and her attacks being stronger at longer ranges is a reference to a similar mechanic used for weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising like the staves, bows, and orbitars.

Takamaru on the other hand is kinda more made up since a definitive characteristic for him hardly came up (at best he was depicted as a user friendly balanced character in Samurai Warriors 3), but I took inspiration from popular depictions of samurai in media. Notably samurai are commonly depicted as being swift and precise, and as such I'd imagine Takamaru using similar characteristics in the way he fights.

Takamaru being swift but weak compared to his "relative" Link is also a bit of a reference to Mysterious Murasame Castle having a larger emphasis on action, instead of puzzle solving and exploration like The Legend of Zelda.

D

Deleted member

Going to post some arch types, with some of these being more fleshed out descriptions from here or other threads.

[COLLAPSE="Palutena"]Palutena is a character that focuses on defensive spacing then pure offense. Despite her fairly scrawny appearance, she boasts abnormally high weight but also light movement. Her light movements in the air gives her some resilience to chain grabs and gives her above normal air game, but at the cost of poor falling speed making approaches on the ground slightly more difficult. One interesting attribute that applies to all of Palutena's attacks is the very high range; using a combination of her staff and magic she can safely wear down the opponent from a very long distance. This ranged play is further contributed to her attacks being more powerful the farther away, and a reliably projectile with the longest range of any projectile. She also boasts arguably the best recovery in the game in the form of Wing of Glaucus, which combined with her weight makes her the queen of endurance.

Unfortunatly, Palutena suffers from low damage output and mediocre speed. The lower power is further contributed by the range mechanic mentioned above, which means if you don't properly space yourself you'd be doing pathetic damage. Several of her attacks are moderately slow too, meaning that combos are out of the question for the most part. Using Palutena in a single player context is a tad iffy, but in team battles she can become a really beneficial team member.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="King K. Rool"]The crocodile, as you should know, is a predator who waits in the murky waters to snatch up prey that gets too close to it's powerful jaws. This description fits K. Rool to a tee, a character who is designed to cause massive devastation to anyone greedy enough that gets too close. As a whole King K. Rool has very limited mobility, huge size, heavy weight, and raw power. But his greatest assist is being able to punish the opponent for getting too close. His attacks are actually longer ranged and faster then a typical heavy weight character, and sports very useful utility moves like a potent spike and a very diverse projectile. But one this K. Rool boasts is probably the best grab game ever, a grab with very long reach and speed with throws that can ether be used for combos or potent finishing moves.

But like stated, he is very limited in mobility with low movement in both the air and on the ground. Because of the limited mobility, he is not a character designed to pursue characters but is instead designed to wait for his victims to get close enough to him. Combined with his large size, he's a easy victim for combos from faster characters, especially considering that his recovery is moderately average at best.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Takamaru"]Takamru is very fast in every category. Fast fall, fast walking, fast running, fast attacks. If you looked up fast, you'd probably see Takamaru's face on there. But speed isn't the only thing going for him. With a combination of his invisibility and shurikens, Takamaru is a effective character for both zoning and approaching. This is further cemented by the slightly above normal range thanks to his katana and the ability to preform very vicious combos very quickly.

The main flaw with Takamaru is his power is fairly minuscule compared to other characters, with some of his better finishing moves having more awkward range or speed. Most of his attacks also have a specific sweet spot that makes preforming more damage to be somewhat tricky. He has slightly below average weight, and because of that and his fast falling speed he is easily more knocked around then other characters. Luckily his recovery isn't too horrible compared to other characters of his ilk, but it's still not the best around.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Ridley"]A malicious beast of a character. Ridley posses a higher amount of power and weight like the other heavy weight characters of his kin, but his speed is generally faster. Notably he posses a relatively high dash speed and superb aerial movement. While Ridley is indeed powerful, his greatest strength is in the air. His multiple jumps, glide, and powerful aerial attacks makes Ridley much more able in aerial combat then the other heavy weight characters of his kin. Because Ridley's ability to be an aerial threat, he is a great choice of character for edge guarding or wall of pain strategies. Ridley also has a decent projectile for spacing purposes or sniping the opponent from far away.

His greatest weakness is being a very large target while being abnormally floaty, and as such Ridley is often a victim of juggling. While not crippling, his ground game is more awkward with moves that often are slower in execution or often having unusual angles or range. Ridley in general should play an aerial game, especially since many of his most potent combos are preformed in the air.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Toad"]Despite his docile appearance, he defies a lot of rules. While Toad is quick on his feet and light, he is more powerful then other light weight characters of his ilk. His smash attacks, tilts, and throws are in particular very potent. Combing his speed with his power means that Toad is no slouch when it comes to bringing on the punishment with ether effective combos or powerful finishing move. In particular his lightness and small size makes him more resilient to juggling or chaingrabs, which can help change the tide of battle in a flash.

What cripples Toad is being very vulnerable to offense. Because of Toad's light weight he is easly knocked out more then other characters, but unlike the light weight characters his recovery is much more underwhelming. Also unlike others of his kin, Toad's range is absolutely pathetic with no projectile to compensate and his jump is abnormally low. As such players should treat Toad as a glass cannon, a character who can dish out a lot of punishment but cannot take a hit.[/COLLAPSE]
I like what you did for Palutena, especially making her a heavyweight. The low damage output makes sense as well. Though I feel she should have ONE ranged killing move, however, I'm not familiar enough with the canon to be able to choose one.

On K.Rool though, I like the allegory of the alligator (alliteration baby!), though I feel he should be more of a ranged heavyweight Poker a la Sagat, than a grappler, especially since we never see him grapple in the DKC games, but instead throws **** at you, fires cannonballs and chases you down. That way we leave Dedede and Bowser as our Grapple characters. Still, perhaps one Bite move similar to Wario's would be neat to see. Likewise, his ability to suck stuff in with his rifle. Everything else about him is cool though.

One question about Takamaru, I remember reading somewhere that you can shoot fireballs in his game, how true is this? As it would certainly add to his tools, he could fire them as his Fair a la Akuma. Aside from that, I see him as very similar to Baiken in both moves and playstyle, minus the counter mechanics that is. A close range Mix-Up character with Speedy Swordplay.

On Ridley you nailed it! Now here's a suggestion for him. What if, since he's an Aerial Character, we enhance his aerial superiority at the sacrifice of his ground game, by making him the only character with Aerial Smash Attacks, and no traditional Smash Attacks? It would certainly make him unique.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Gator! Gator! Gator! Gator knee! Gator uppercut!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Takamaru can indeed shoot out fireballs, but in Mysterious Murasame Castle they basically acted as an upgraded shuriken. Specifically the fireballs increased the power of his ranged attacks, but had more limited range. If I had to make a reference to the fireball technique, I'd imagine something along the lines of a forward smash and forward throw. In comparison, I'd reference the other upgrade, the windmill sword, as his down smash and up special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom