• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Color Effects in Melee!

NeilBolima

Smash Rookie
http://i.imgur.com/McDV6zF.png

Am I looking for the right Offset. i wanna change the color of Ness' Pk Thunder. Can someone help me find the right offset and what color format (07 07 07, 98 00 # # etc.) i should be looking for. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Overall. How do you find the correct offset you are looking for. please tell me.

Last edited:

NeilBolima

Smash Rookie

Non-Charging Body Aura Effects Guide

Introduction:

Hey guys, I haven't really done anything lately. This was basically sitting half finished on my computer and I just never got around to it. Most likely some other hackers already know this information, but I figured I'd post it anyway. It helps if you have Masterhand for this, so use the download link below.

Things you will need:

1. Hex Editor (I use HxD)
2. GCTool/GCRebuilder
3. Dolphin Emulator
4. Masterhand (Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?6qp9ou0w6uh7tqo)

Step One: Understanding the Data

A lot of moves in the game will change to color/lighting of a character when they do a certain attack (Marth's Side-B, Mario's Fireball, etc.). This guide will teach you how to change that effect using the other effects in the game. These effects are very similar to the effects in the Charging Smash Attacks Effects Guide. The list of the effects can be found below. Each effect is only 2 bytes long.

Step Two: Finding the Data

To find this data in dat files (Pl**.dat of that character's ** indicator), use Masterhand for the corresponding move you want to change. In this example, I will be changing Mario's Fireball. I open up PlMr.dat in the Masterhand and look for the Mario's Fireball (Under Special moves). The Body Aura will be under one of the Unknown offsets starting with B8 or B9. You will find that this offset is located at 3500 in PlMr.dat for Mario's standing fireball. Change that to any of the effects below and congratulations you changed a body aura!

Effects:

B8 00 - Nothing
B8 04 - Nothing
B8 08 - White Flashing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 0C - Yellow Flashing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 10 - Brief White Aura
B8 14 - Flashing White Aura
B8 18 - Flashing Black Aura
B8 1C - Lens flare below character
B8 20 - Healing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 24 - Slow White Flashing Aura (doesn't stop)
B8 28 - Ful White aura that fades to nomral
B8 2C - Fire Aura (shortest)
B8 30 - Fire Aura
B8 34 - Fire Aura
B8 38 - Fire Aura (longest)
B8 3C - Electric Aura(shortest)
B8 40 - Electric AUra
B8 44 - Electric Aura
B8 48 - Electric Aura(longest)
B8 4C - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 50 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 54 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 58 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 5C - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 60 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 64 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 68 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 6C - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 70 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 74 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 78 - Flashing Black and Electric Aura
B8 7C - Brief Blue Aura
B8 80 - Nothing
B8 84 - Nothing
B8 88 - Nothing
B8 8C - Darkness Aura (shortest)
B8 90 - Darkness Aura
B8 94 - Darkness Aura
B8 98 - Darkness Aura (longest)
B8 9C - Dark Red Aura
B8 A0 - Longer Dark Red Aura
B8 A4 - Pink Aura
B8 A8 - Longer Pink Aura
B8 AC - Black Tint Aura
B8 B0 - Brief Red Aura
B8 B4 - Flashing Yellow Aura
B8 B8 - Flashing Bluegreen Aura
B8 BC - Flashing Yellow Aura that glows more and more over time
B8 C0 - Full Yellow Aura that fades to normal
B8 C4 - Long Orange Aura
B8 C8 - Flashing Bluegreen Aura
B8 CC - Brief Yellow Aura
B8 D0 - Brief White Aura
B8 D4 - Flashing White Aura with blue lens flares
B8 D8 - Flashing White Aura with blue lens flare
B8 DC - Brief Yellow Aura
B8 E0 - Brief Yellow/Orange Aura
B8 E4 - white Aura with White Cloud above character
B8 E8 - White Aura with White Clouds around character
B8 EC - Flashing Aura with Lots of Lens Flares (Like using a bat)
B8 F0 - Slow Flashing White Aura
B8 F4 - Slow Flashing White Aura
B8 F8 - Faster Flashing White Aura
B8 FC - Dark Red Aura that progressively becomes brighter
B9 00 - Flashing Dark Red Aura
B9 04 - White w/ Electric Effects
B9 08 - Nothing
B9 0C - Flashing Electric Effects
B9 10 - Fast Flashing White w/ Electric Effects
B9 14 - Flashing Blue Aura with Electric Effects and Lens Flares
B9 18 - Fast Flashing White Aura
B9 1C - Firey Glow from Behind
B9 20 - Fast Flashing Yellow Aura
B9 24 - Purple Glow from the Front
B9 28 - Brief Teal Aura
B9 2C - Flashing Bluegreen Aura with Electric Effects at feet
B9 30 - Flashing Green Aura with Big Lens Flares
B9 34 - Full Black Aura
B9 38 - Brief Dark Red Aura
B9 3C - Very Brief Light Blue Aura
B9 40 - Whiter and Whiter Aura over time
B9 44 - White Aura that fades to normal
B9 48 - Flashing Blue Glow from the Front
B9 4C - Brief Red/Orange Aura
B9 50 - Greener and Greener Aura over time
B9 54 - Fast Flashing Orange Aura
B9 58 - Fast Flashing White Aura
B9 5C - Fast Flashing White Aura
B9 60 - Brief Green Aura
B9 64 - Flashing Aura with Lens Flares and Stars
B9 68 - Flashing Aura with more Lens Flares and Stars
B9 6C - Pink Glow from the Front
B9 70 - Flashing White Aura with Darkness effect on Left Hand
B9 74 - Flashing White Aura with Darkness effect on Right Hand
B9 78 - Flashing Purple/Pink Aura
B9 7C - Brief Blue Aura
B9 80 - Faint Pink Glow from Behind
B9 84 - Flashing White and Pink Aura
B9 88 - Brief Full White Aura
B9 8C - Brief White Aura -> Faint Blue Aura
B9 90 - Faint Red Aura
B9 94 - Full Black Aura that fades to Normal
B9 98 - Black Aura
B9 9C - Nothing
B9 A0 - Red/Orange Aura over time
B9 A4 - Dark Red Aura
B9 A8 - Flashing Red and White Aura with Cloud Effects (Lasts for along time)
B9 AC - Flashing White with Stars and Lens Flares (Lasts for along time)
B9 B0 - Sparkles shoot behind character
B9 B4 - Flashing Red and Yellow Aura with Lens Flares
B9 B8 - Nothing
B9 BC - Very Brief White Aura
B9 C0 - Orange Aura that ends with Firey Glow from the Front
B9 C4 - Green Glow that moves from Front to Back
B9 C8 - Red Aura
B9 CC - Blue Aura
B9 D0 - Green Aura
B9 D4 - White Aura
B9 D8 - Flashing White and Pink Aura with Smoke Effects on the ground
B9 DC - Flashing Yellow Aura
B9 E0 - Brief White Aura
B9 E4 - Brief White Aura with Star Effects
B9 E8 - Flashing Dark Red Aura (Lasts for along time)
B9 EC - Nothing

I made this quickly so if anything isn't very clear just ask me.
How did you know it was in Offset 3500

Mecinimi

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know how to globally change the color of elemental effects? I want to make the fire element pink and do not know what files to edit.

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
Can someone please link me the post about changing the colors of Falco's tail?

Mom??

Smash Rookie
are there any packs that include a bunch of textures to assist in me being lazy?

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
are there any packs that include a bunch of textures to assist in me being lazy?
I think I want to make my files public one day... I'll let you know once I feel my ISO is complete.

NeilBolima

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know which offset i can find the offset of the purple-looking effect on marth's shield breaker.
I was able to change the texture i wanted, but i couldnt change that purple thing. I dumped the textures and it wasnt a texture, so it had to be a color effect, does anyone know where i would find it in PlMs.dat

TSkillzX

Smash Rookie
Darkness
(Hyperlinks below are pictures)
Purple and black shine.
Purple and black select hand.
Purple and black re-spawn platform.
Falco's down air now has a darkness effect (also applied it to fox's up-smash).
Clouds turned to purple some mixed with black (if you don't know what I mean refer to Goatlinks posts above).
Purple lasers for both fox and falco.
Illusion/Phantasm changed to purple for fox and falco.
Charging smashes has darkness effect.
Also has the darkness up-b that lance made.
EDIT: Forgot about Marth with Purple and Black Sword Trail (also has darkness effect on down air and neutral B).
-/*\- Download -/*\-

I don't want to double post so...

I was trying to get 990099 into RGBY format, but I must have done something wrong because what I did freezes the game.
Here is the Calculation

R: 153/8 = 19 * 1024 = 19456 >> 4C00

G: 0/8 = 0 * 32 = 0 >> 0

B: 153/8 = 19 >> 13

x4C00 + x0 + x13 = x4C13

x4C13 + x8000 = *[(CC13)]* << I put that in for the lasers and it ended up freezing my game, help would be appreciated.
The link for the falco purple spike is broken O.O could you please fix the link @The Realest? :D

Krusteaz

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody know if it is possible to change the color of the glow of Falcon's hand when he starts up his Raptor Boost?

3e3ca3dd56f686f16d969728ea9820cb.png

I want to make that part glow pink to fit with the pink fire effects I have on him, do we know the offsets?

Bognima

Smash Rookie
So I I recently finished a couple of effect changes I'd been working on, and figured why not share.

First I edited EfFxData to black out the texture used for the Firefox starting animation, but more importantly for the large blast rings that appear around Fox and Falco during the laser shot. I feel that this looks a lot cleaner when changing the laser colours as there is now much less red (does anyone know what controls the smaller red affect around the tip of the pistol?). It makes the Firefox/bird startup a bit more subtle, which could effect your gameplay so you'll have to decide if it's worth it.

Next I edited the actual Firefox/bird to be rainbow coloured, and Fox and Falco's illusion colours to match the laser collours I'd chosen, and matched it with the popular existing rainbow shine to create a "rainbow spacies" feel.

Then I moved on to Captain Falcon, drawing inspiration (and lifting a texture from) existing changes which rendered the falcon punch with the American flag, I created the ultimate patriot package, Captain falcon throwing out fire in red, white, and blue.

I've made these available for download here https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0b4qbsraaujay/CharacterEffects

Bognima

Smash Rookie
Does anybody know if it is possible to change the color of the glow of Falcon's hand when he starts up his Raptor Boost?

View attachment 122167
I want to make that part glow pink to fit with the pink fire effects I have on him, do we know the offsets?
It's listed in the offsets in the 2nd post.

24B70 - 04 F9 FF B2 00 FF B2 00 (Raptor Boost Hand Lens Flare Beginning)

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
A few things:
1) How do you change the color of Falco's tail... I wanna make the USA one have a red white and blue tail.
2) How do you change the color of the inside of Falco's jacket?
3) How do you change the up-B of Fox/Falco. I wanna take the purple one and change it up a bit.
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!!
Note: I already looked at the first few posts, but whenever I go into the Hex editor and change things up, it just stays the same! :/

Last edited:

IndigoSamus

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have the pink affects that joey (lucky) uses in his stream setup on fox/falco? it looks hella nice

Uzzi

Smash Cadet
I found some offsets for jiggs

EfPrData.dat

SING (UP B)

RED MUSIC NOTE
00005440 - 07 07 07 04 FF FF FF 00 FF 00 00

GREEN MUSIC NOTE
000055C0 - 07 07 07 04 FF FF FF 00 00 FF 00

BLUE MUSIC NOTE
00005500 - 07 07 07 04 FF FF FF 00 00 00 FF
more jiggs up-b colors

42 48 Format:

Fade in color of red music note
54B0 - 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48

Fade in color of green music note
5570 - 80 80 80 FF 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48

Fade in color of blue music note
5630 - 80 80 80 FF 00 FF 00 FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48

Uzzi

Smash Cadet
A few things:
1) How do you change the color of Falco's tail... I wanna make the USA one have a red white and blue tail.
2) How do you change the color of the inside of Falco's jacket?
3) How do you change the up-B of Fox/Falco. I wanna take the purple one and change it up a bit.
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!!
Note: I already looked at the first few posts, but whenever I go into the Hex editor and change things up, it just stays the same! :/
1) Use Dat Texture Wizard to go though the costume's files. (ex. if its for Falco's blue costume you will use the PlFcBu.dat file.) Find the texture you want to edit, and export it. The texture you're looking for is the very first one that shows up. It looks like a single feather. Edit in photoshop, and import your new texture over the old. Check that it looks good in dolphin and save it.

2) See the second post of the OP.

3) See the second post of the OP. There is probably a texture in the file that needs to be changed also.

Make sure you extract the file you want to be modifying in the hex editor from your iso, edit the file, save it, and then insert it back into the iso and save it. If you we're emulating that iso in dolphin close it and start it again.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

NeilBolima

Smash Rookie
can anyone help me change those purple lines. I want to complete this shield breaker effect

kanbaru

Smash Rookie
Is there anyone that could by any chance send me a Marth PIMs.dat with all light pink/peach sword effects including things like neutral b?

StagesWhenPls

Smash Cadet
Here's the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wztcsyhjq2b9r/Pink_Fox_and_Falco_1.05

Here's some pictures for anyone else that is interested. http://imgur.com/a/zBbTd

I made it a couple months ago. Enjoy!
I've tried using these on netplay before but it kept causing desyncs, any reason why? I added the fire effect back to Fox and Falco's up-b with crazy hand too, but it was still causing desyncs, while other mods like the rainbow shine and blue lasers aren't causing desyncs.

Mecinimi

Smash Rookie
I've tried using these on netplay before but it kept causing desyncs, any reason why? I added the fire effect back to Fox and Falco's up-b with crazy hand too, but it was still causing desyncs, while other mods like the rainbow shine and blue lasers aren't causing desyncs.
Hmm, can you try without using the modified EfCoData.dat file and let me know if that still causes desyncs?

StagesWhenPls

Smash Cadet
Hmm, can you try without using the modified EfCoData.dat file and let me know if that still causes desyncs?
I've been using it on netplay with the All the files except PlFc.dat and PlFx.dat, so the file with shine and the one EfCo file seem fine for netplay. It's gotta be something with the individual character files. I don't think changing the aura in the character files is what's causing desyncs. I think it may be that the PlFx.dat file removed part of the flame effect on Fox's up-b.
Edit: http://imgur.com/a/dAr37 the fire effect that's removed in your PlFx.dat and might be causing netplay desyncs

Last edited:

BJT

Smash Rookie
I took it upon myself to fix something that was bugging me with the Dark purple firefox/firebird modification. I noticed that the firefox flame texture was jagged and lacked the transparency the original had. I can tell that this was a mistake in how the texture was edited, so I took the original texture and edited the hue in photoshop to match the purple colour theme. This resulted in a much cleaner texture more in line with the look of the original.

Here's a before and after comparison:

Tested on dolphin and console.
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/modbox8bezzlcy1/PurpleFirefox2.0.7z

Kind of an odd first post, but I guess something had to bring me out of lurking. I'm hoping to get more into melee modding as it seems really fun. Hopefully this is appreciated.

Original download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/svapzmoswt13xpx/PurpleDark_Firefox1.rar

Credit:
Lanceinthepants Lanceinthepants for creating the original
I've downloaded and installed this and it's great, however I'm having some trouble getting rid of the small fire effect while the Up-B is charging. I would use the included PlFx.dat to solve this but I play PAL so that would kind of be a deal-breaker. Anyone able to help me out with this? For the effect I'm talking about, see the one referenced in this post:
I've been using it on netplay with the All the files except PlFc.dat and PlFx.dat, so the file with shine and the one EfCo file seem fine for netplay. It's gotta be something with the individual character files. I don't think changing the aura in the character files is what's causing desyncs. I think it may be that the PlFx.dat file removed part of the flame effect on Fox's up-b.
Edit: http://imgur.com/a/dAr37 the fire effect that's removed in your PlFx.dat and might be causing netplay desyncs

I3ridget

Smash Rookie
Could anyone be so kind as to upload a red sword swing for Link? I've seriously been trying to for hours to get this stuff to work but it just isn't happening :(

DRGN

Technowizard
Long story short, directly after "Color 2", it seems there's a "Color 3"!

Just throwing that out there in case anyone wants to play with it and see if they can make it do anything. This can be found in the Properties tab for a texture in DTW, near the bottom of the Texture Environment Structure. This was previously called the Lance Color Struct, but we found out what it was really called, and redefined the properties in it.

upload_2017-3-24_19-22-39.png

MCMike

Smash Rookie
So, anyone knows how to change the color for the blast aura from the laser?

Top Bottom